Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Alereon posted:

They are really specific with the TDP's there on the 6 and 4 core FX chips. Now that I look at it, can anyone guess why the 4 core TDP > 6 core TDP > 8 core TDP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's weird to think about how long we've been reading about Bulldozer. I think it first started getting thrown around in summer 2007, but maybe even earlier than that.

Bulldozer: the Duke Nukem Forever Half-Life 2: Episode 3 of the computer industry.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just got wind of some Black edition APUs. I'm not really sure what to make of it though. As I recall, you could technically overclock the CPU of the normal ones, but it limited the GPU's allotted portion of the TDP. Overclocking the GPU was weird, and didn't seem to show improvements. Fake edit: found the Anandtech link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4478/asrock-a75-extreme6-review-and-desktop-llano-overclocking/4. If these work differently, and you can overclock the CPU and GPU, without sacrificing one or the other, they might be worth considering for very low budget systems.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Install Gentoo posted:

And in a separate forum on that same site, was asking for help for why his machine wasn't performing as good as it should, while insisting running a 32 bit 10 year old OS made it faster.

It was made for computers built 10 years ago. Computers are a gajillion times faster now, so it HAS to be faster than if I were to run Windows 7 :downs:.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Someone posted this in the system building megathread:

Maniaman posted:

If anybody's looking for some comedy related to AMD vs Intel:

http://www.facebook.com/Newegg/posts/10150552307784168

:sigh: posted:

AMD! Runs cooler, over-clock-able, expandable, compatible, affordable, genuine cores.

The fanboys really do exist.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

L-O-N posted:

The thing about min frame rates is that it could be just a time thing where a game has low fps, but all other times it is pretty high. The best way to show it is like [H] where they have a graph showing the frame rate at all times.

To be fair, The Tech Report has a similar thing, where they graph the time taken to render each frame, and then follow up with average frame time, 99th percentile frame time, and time spent beyond 50ms. Those roughly correlate to overall frame rate, typical frame rate, and time with dips in frame rate.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
The Tech Report just released their review of the new 7770. Basically, it would be a good card if it were priced lower than the 6850.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Is there any videocard that is worth upgrading to from the 6850? In BF3 on High at 1280x1024 I get around 45FPS, which is mildly annoying. But I don't know if the cost of an upgrade is worth it.

What's your CPU? Around 41 fps is what they got over at Tech Report, but at 1920x1080. At such a small resolution, it sounds like you may be CPU bottlenecked.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

i7-2600k

In that case, you definitely aren't CPU bottlenecked. The best price/performance cards out right now are the 7850, or the 560Ti-448 Core. Either one would be a noticeable step up compared to the 6850. When you're looking at the benchmarks, the 560Ti-448 Core performs somewhere in between the 560Ti and the 570, leaning closer to the latter. A comparison for the 7850 vs. 6850.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I feel so dumb for buying a 7950 now. The GTX570 eats the 7950 in everything I play. It's disturbing.

You're behind a generation there. I'm glad I don't have the urge to go for top of the line graphics performance. It's expensive, and there's stuff like this that happens when you're impatient.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, The Tech Report has just released their review of the FX 8350. It does well in some multi-threaded tests, like x264 encoding and some of the rendering benchmarks, in a couple instances even beating the 3770k. Single threaded performance is poo poo though.

Overclocking was more of the same. There's not much overhead in the CPUs, and they require a ludicrous voltage. The sample wasn't stable at 4.5 GHz with 1.5375V. Apparently AMD said that you can "...expect something closer to 5 GHz". Power consumption at this setting was about 60W higher than at stock (262W when overclocked).

For most of us, don't bother, because any i5 is a better gaming value.

EDIT: Anand's review basically corroborates Tech Report's review, although they had a better overclocking experience, with the 8350 reaching 4.8 GHz. He didn't say exactly what the voltage was (10% above stock), but the power consumption jumped 100W over stock.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 23, 2012

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Care to name some of those risky bets that didn't pan out? This kind of stuff fascinates me :)

Bulldozer

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

movax posted:

Yeah, that's super critical for HPC and real-time applications. We apply a similar kernel patch to our machines that keep the OS on 1-2 cores, and leave the rest open for scheduling / usage by the real-time co-kernel. Nothing like trashing your realtime performance because some OS task with good intentions pops up for attention.

I have no sense of scale of the CPU load for thread scheduling or anything is for massive systems like this; could you compare it to a more typical desktop load?

Also, congrats on your new mod status.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Those aren't based on the Sandy/Ivy Bridge architecture though. They're from an older architecture, and there are no replacements for them, at least not based on core count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

orange juche posted:

She was getting it mainly for college work and maybe some very light mobile gaming when she is bored of listening to the professor, and the only intel driven HP Envy I could find was $200 more for performance she wouldn't notice in office applications and an absolutely pitiful last gen intel HD 4400 that would have serious issues running any 3d games above 1280p low quality.

With that resolution, games be damned. You probably mean 720p

• Locked thread