Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Sandy Bridge beats Bulldozer, but Bulldozer will likely be cheaper and most people don't even need the power of a Core2Duo, let alone Sandy Bridge.

Isn't Zambezi aimed at the enterprise/enthusiast market? Rumor has it that they are even bringing back the FX name for it. Sounds to me like they are going after the high end market first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Possible Llano and Bulldozer prices have leaked. FX 8 cores from $290-350, 6 cores for $240, and 4 cores for $190.

Could somebody translate it through google and post the text? For some reason reason I can't get it to work in Opera/Firefox.

dad on the rag fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 20, 2011

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

I may be working on a small sample size, but SemiAccurate seems like a site full of hysterical horseshit to me.

When Intel used a video to demo Ivy Bridge's DX11 graphics, SemiAccurates response was 1000 words of ":byodood: JESUS gently caress THIS IS AN ABOMINATION! THIS IS A CRIMINAL ACT OF DECEPTION AND FRAUD BEYOND ALL KEN, JUST LIKE THAT TIME NVIDIA USED WOOD SCREWS AMIRITE?"

AnandTech's coverage? "We saw the VLC interface during the DX11 interface demo. Whoops. Turns out the demo was slapped together last-minute. Now, I've already seen Ivy Bridge, but for posterity I asked Intel to re-run the demo on an IVB laptop, and they did. Here's the YouTube."

I'm not inclined to believe anything that site says until I hear it somewhere else as well.

Charlie Demerjian usually likes to bash Intel and Nvidia, so it's pretty surprising that he came out with something positive to say about the new Nvidia cards.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

MeramJert posted:

Hey this driver thing isn't true anymore and hasn't been for a while! And anecdotally, the worst driver support I've ever had for any product was an nvidia 7950 GX2 that would literally take me 6+ hours to upgrade to a newer driver version.

(PS. the Radeon 7500/8500? That was eons ago...)

AMD drivers are still horrible if you need OpenGL or run Linux.

dad on the rag fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 9, 2012

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

MeramJert posted:

What happened to all that stuff from a while back where nvidia was disabling part of the Fermi core in order to meet the PCI-E power draw spec? 700W :lol:

Do you actually believe that number? A GTX590 draws around 550W so something around that number sounds much more realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

MeramJert posted:

No, I knew it was just an estimate but still, the fact that people can estimate it being potentially that high is ridiculous. 550W is crazy too

Actually that estimate sounds like it got pulled out of his rear end. He took the total system power draw guesstimate for a GTX680 and just doubled it which is just dumb.

AMD Radeon 6990 (~490W) vs Nvidia GTX590 (~550)

• Locked thread