Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The APU kind of Steamroller or the 8-core kind of Steamroller? I gave up waiting on Kaveri and switched from my 980 BE to an i7-3770K when it dawned on me how long they were going to take to cut and ship. Now I'll never know what it feels like to pack the next revolution of x86 computing into my gaming box. :smith:

e: Wishful thinking draws me to look for an 8350's 5.0 overclock performance review, but I haven't found one with a full complement of tests.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Doubling the number of decoders and going for High Density Library isn't going to make a big enough of a difference to keep up with the blue team, eh?

As a layman, I figured something was terribly wrong last year when people were boasting THIRTY PERCENT INCREASE all over the place about the next generation and just had to jump ship.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Please, AMD, please make me happy by releasing a 4-module/8-thread APU that knows how to Core Park and boosts its single-thread performance somehow with magical HSA. I secretly weep uncontrollably in my bed at night knowing that my machine is occupied by an Ivy Bridge that can actually make the most out of your 7970, AMD. Please do this for me.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Yudo posted:

HSA won't do much for single threaded performance as I understand it. It could potentially improve FP performance by offloading math to the graphics part of the APU. Some sort of "heterogeneous" architecture is the future, though depending on compilers has been a sucker's bet in the past. HSA is no EPIC, but the sinking of the Itanic is a cautionary note.

Anyways I'm pretty sure even the most enemic of modern CPUs can keep that nice card if yours fed.

Forgive my unbearable ignorance, but am I correct when I conject that games use a lot of floating points?

And sorta. I have the double-whammy of having the unnecessarily high standard of minimum 60 FPS on my current 1080p setup and having a tendency to play really shittly-coded online games. :pgi:

someday i will win the lottery and rob a bank and then i will be able to afford an overclocked korean ips monitor and another 7970 and then i will win at every game because i deserve it

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: Better Luck Next Platform :smith:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I think more than a few of us are in with you on this one. I tried to stay on the bright side by focusing on AMD's price/performance ratio, but with certain retailers and my budding ability to actually shop for a deal and the fact that anyone else I know really doesn't care about this stuff, it's been hard to watch the company live the way it has recently.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Mad_Lion posted:

I am planning a long overdue CPU/MOBO/RAM overhaul around tax return time (February). I was hoping that steamroller FX would be out by then, because it's possible that it would be quite competitive with Haswell. Unfortunately, I think it's been delayed until 3rd or 4th quarter 2014, and that just won't fly. I hate having no option but Haswell. My first custom build was an Athlon Thunderbird 1.4ghz, and at the time, that was pretty much the fastest x86 processor on the planet earth. It screamed with 512MB DDR and a Radeon 8500. I was topping leaderboards in Folding@home, too. I still use AMD GPUs, but I'd really love an all AMD system again.

I really wouldn't trust anything that didn't come verbatim out of an AMD timetable if I were you. There's nothing out there besides rumors for when the next FX-series will be baked. We only have the chart with Steamroller APUs being slated for the end of -this- year, with no specific SKUs in sight--who knows, AMD might consider an APU with more than two modules/four threads on the CPU side?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Looks like the few reviewers who tried overclocking the thing have yet to keep it stable at anything above the theorhetical Turbo Core speed at constant frequency too, confirming that there's most likely nothing that's been done to these chips aside from binning and QC.

One wonders how lucky he or she can get with attempting a 5-GHz overclock on an FX-9370 instead and whether or not it'd be worth the extra 150 USD over an 8350. Probably not, with the binning :cripes:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hardware Canucks also did a review of the processor and has a page where they worked it with Turbo Core disabled at 5.0 GHz. It ran CineBench faster than a stock 4770K, but they were less than confident about both stability and the general outlook of motherboards that can supply the right amount of power to the massive needs it has.

edit: :siren: Looks like Kaveri's being pushed to 2014 after all, with additional nomenclature for other APU applications and their successors. Roadmap likely to come as the year draws towards its end.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 20, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If it puts things even more in perspective for you any, Krzanich says Intel is on track to start production on 14nm fab by the end of the year, so they'll be tinkering with that process next year while AMD is at Globalfoundries' whim on whenever they think they have enough 28nm Steamrollers. But that's kind of off-topic, I'd rather not derail into David vs. Goliath company comparison again.

Still, if AMD wants to test the future of ten-months-from-now they're going to need to time their releases of any of their new chips really well to avoid getting blindsided by Haswell Refresh releases and their prices. Not that I'd want another rushed Bulldozer, though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Rockopolis posted:

Crusader Kings II, Total War, ArtRage, nothing too demanding, I think. I may or may not have my eye on more demanding games, but they're not a huge concern. I should probably post this over in PC Building, though.

The other thing I've been looking at is trying to figure out this Dual Graphics thing, or a list of video cards that will go with the A10-6700. I might get a card at a later date. I can't seem to find it anywhere at all.

EDIT:
Actually, why does Amazon say
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPLGEFM/ref=gno_cart_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
is 4.2ghz, when everywhere else seems to have something wimpier for the A10-6700, like 3.7?
Also, I can't seem to find anything at all on the AMD website about the Radeon HD 8670D.
^^^The 4.2 speed is the Turbo Core speed, it doesn't stay at that speed for all applications.

AMD has this list but it's only got Trinity APUs!

There's also this article about upcoming Richland laptops being (surprisingly) compatible with GCN-based mobile graphics cards but that's all I've found.

edit:

Alereon posted:

Don't consider this an option, it doesn't work well at all. Put in a videocard that is good enough to meet your needs on its own and don't worry about it.

Definitely this, but to go off on a different tangent than the question, it is providing the cheapest solution for having anywhere near decent quantities of shaders in a bottom-of-the-barrel laptop.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 3, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Those power delivery systems on Gigabyte's recently announced boards for the A88X platform look awfully excessive for 2M/4T Steamroller APUs :smug:

ok that's just wishful thinking, i'm sorry

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh boy, they sure showed up Intel on their own turf! :haw:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This is a thing with slides on Kaveri's paper launch. Two A10s and one A8 in February. Various reports of just how much performance (IPC, HPC, whatever) improves are still...all over the place.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 28, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Mahi mahi, the quality of this thread has taken an unexpected dive. I hope this codforsaken mess doesn't salmon the attention of a moderator. I hear they can dunk posts into the deepest chambers of the forums.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Well, at least the new Warsaw server line will be staying with 12 or 16 pure Piledriver threads, none of that pesky on-die graphics nonsense there. :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Inserting typical :pcgaming: speculative reaction: Theorhetical motherboard with built-in GDDR5 + Kaveri + Mantle + SteamOS + FreeSync = :confused:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Agreed posted:

This is pretty much the same strategy they did leading up to Bulldozer, pretending to be a much bigger company than they actually are and spending accordingly, while forgetting somehow that as always they're up against Intel, a company so willing to gently caress you up that it doesn't even matter if you've got a better product (like, I dunno, an integrated modem), they'll sell a package that costs them more just so that it competes, for a lower price, and "insist" via back channels that vendors go with their version because of course they will they're the apex predator right now. Not even patents work against them. Your good ideas are jack poo poo to their huge piles of money and cutthroat tactics.

This is a very depressing post. Is there no hope in persuading the unwashed masses grassroots vendors that AMD processors would increase general sales if only they were stocked more often, marketed to be given a chance?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Non-doom-and-gloom APU news, yes! I guess we have to wait 'til these hit the market to see how much of a difference they make in usefulness-to-dollar ratio.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'd also like to throw my hat into the ring of "too many words, but basking in the exchange between professionals like the smarmy superficial gamer I am".

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Lord Windy posted:

I've got what feels like an ancient Phenom II 840

What do you run on your computer? Right now the most rational answer is to drop your AM3+ mobo like a rock and get a Pentium G3258 CPU+board combo from Micro Center and overclock the daylights out of it. Immediate boost to most things most people do, plus it won't even cost as much as an octo-"core" FX-anything.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Please follow the poster above, he is saying what I want to say but better and more relevant to you

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to get your futile hopes up again.

http://wccftech.com/breaking-amds-gen-x86-high-performance-core-code-named-zen-debut-k12/

Beware the possibly terrible WCCF interpretation, but the original German stuff from Rory Read is kosher. Early 2016, gotta love wishful planning!

Shooting for a duality between x86 (Zen) and ARM (K12) sounds like a bit of a compromise. Okay, more like a huge compromise. An F-35 Lightning II kind of compromise.

e: oh god also avoid the comment section of that article, help

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 11, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I think I used the wrong association. I'm simply more concerned about the ambition of managing two different projects to meet two different goals in the same timeframe. Goodness knows they could do better with a single success than with two not-so-successes.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm not saying it would compare favorably with Haswells, I think it would compare with the quad core Bay Trail Atoms that go in Windows tablets, netbooks, and small computers. The Z3740 and other similar processors. This could be a way towards extreme battery life. Are Macbooks Airs really that expensive? My wife got a 2014 13" MBA for $750 a couple months ago, it was cheaper than any comparable windows devices we could find.
paid 3/4 of a grand for a tablet with a keyboard lol

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 29, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
To stop the derail, the fact is that Apple doesn't vertically control the process to make processors for ~all~ potential markets from design to fabrication like Intel does. You might as well have said Samsung could compete instead and that would have been a better response--those guys actually work their own silicon for multiple projects.

Edit: these days there's no distinction between laptop and tablet aside from keyboard not sold separately. Windows PCs with full-on versions of the desktop OS, using those Bay Trails you mentioned, cost downwards of $150 (and that's just straight up retail).

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 29, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Twerk from Home posted:

so I guess they aren't technically a chip manufacturer either.
That's correct, they're a chip designer now.

Someone in the thread spoke to the amount of "resources" companies had to do things re: Intel and then this happened.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Menacer posted:

This breakdown is pure pedantry. It doesn't say anything towards your original point, which was (I believe) that Apple is incapable of producing chips for markets above tablets.

Wait, they aren't? I didn't know that. My original point was that applesux and intel literally roolz

I like OS X from a helpdesk perspective in that Average Jane/Joe doesn't have to learn how/why the OS works in certain ways to use it without loving up

edit: it doesn't take a brain to post, baby! Ham it up!

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 29, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Lord Windy posted:

Maybe Zen will be super fantastic and solve all problems forever and ever. I'd like that.
All I want is a general consumer architecture type that can at least be improved upon to compete in its current year market (2016?). I don't want something that will blow the world away, just something that at least follows the trends for what's practical to improve upon in design. Bulldozer couldn't even do that in time.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

El Scotch posted:

I'd be delighted if Zen provided an Intel alternative that you wouldn't feel compelled to make excuses for buying.
Most people will attempt to defend their own luxury purchases and often associate them with preferring one brand over another.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The most interesting part I think is that all socketed desktop chips look like they're returning to a single platform, FM3.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The most interesting part I think is that all socketed desktop chips look like they're returning to a single platform, FM3.

In which I got totally wrecked by a fake presentation slide the other day and the single platform is actually called AM4.

40% IPC increase over Excavator. Isn't that only going to bring it up to parity with Haswell?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's very arbitrary, I know. We don't even have Excavator cores on market yet and I assumed only a very small increase over Steamroller.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Krailor posted:

drat it! We forgot to look for the elusive 3) willing to pay a lot for a processor.

let me work up my college dorm redditor voice and let you know that amd is already at step 3 bro, it's established itself as the vaaaaaaalue-oriented alternative

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Why does this article feel weird to read? Isn't doubling the number of floating point units and bringing in SMT just part of bringing things back to normal a.k.a. not-Bulldozer? Some of the rhetoric is hamming things up a little hard.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Features like SMT have been around in one form or another for a while in consumer x86 CPU's so maybe you're taking them for granted?

This is probably the case; I am often the victim of special branding of features i.e. hyperthreading that get me curious about them, under the illusion that it's unique.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

CommieGIR posted:

I'm a little confused here. Why are we measuring FPS for the CPUs?

Why aren't we? IIRC that DX9 graph was populated using the same GPU setup with each of those processors. Higher FPS means the CPU is dealing with driver overhead and other issues more quickly, giving the GPU setup less downtime and smoother gameplay.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Jim Keller landed in Tesla working on self-driving cars.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Isn't BIOS reset time one of the things that might get improved before retail sampling anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

HalloKitty posted:

That still works as a Windows 10 licence. Even Windows 7 keys are reportedly still being accepted.

I did this exact thing with my win8.1 key, don't let doomposters keep you away from whichever hardware you would like

• Locked thread