Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

You Am I posted:

The 360 was a rush job, as the RROD issue showed in the early versions. I'm sure if Nvidia didn't screw MS so hard, MS wouldn't have killed the original XBox so quickly and would've spent more time developing the 360 and not have the hardware issues they had.

Wasn't the RROD issue due to leadfree solder hassles(similar to those lovely HP DV-series laptops), rather than poor design? Or were there multiple causes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

Here's a fantastic series of articles on The Inquirer about the NVIDIA issue: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1004378/why-nvidia-chips-defective

Wow..great, in-depth analysis, thanks! :)

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

rscott posted:

So they're going to end up in dumped in the desert next to a bunch of copies of ET?

Yeah, right behind all those Apple Lisas.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

cstine posted:

Competition is nice, except in this case, it's Intel's interests to make better, faster, more efficient products so that they can sell things, regardless of whatever AMD does or doesn't do.

Yeah, but corporations(and most people, too) accomplish more when there's somewhat of a fire lit under their rear end in the form of competition.

Look at the Netburst semi-fiasco - how long do you think it would have taken Intel to backtrack to the Centrino architechture and give us the Core chips if AMD wasn't pumping out cool, powerful inexpensive Athlon 64 chips? Hell, without AMD it might not have happened at all and we'd all be running BTX chassis and 150watt TPD chips, like Intel planned.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

While the forums were down, I turned traitor and read /r/hardware for the first time.
Jesus what a mistake - never saw so many nutcase AMD fanboys in my life, arguing incessantly how FX chips are 'on par with i5's' and trying to build Hackintoshes with AMD CPU's.

Yeah guys I wish AMD was competitive again too, but wishing doesn't make it so.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

FaustianQ posted:

Bunch of stuff

VIA NEVER made good chipsets.

Every loving one of them was either unstable, had lovely disk throughput, conflicts with hardware, or some unholy combination of the above. The best thing that could be said about them is that they were usually fairly cheap.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 19, 2015

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

VIA and Creative Labs arguing over whose fault it was that audio was scratchy was fun

Considering I had a SB Platinum and a dual PIII w/Via 694x chipset at the time, yeah, that was loads of fun :)

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Angry Fish posted:

we walked 15 miles to get to the CompUSA to pick up a single stick of 64MB of RDRAM,

You must have been reaaaalllly disappointed when you got home, since RDRAM ran in pairs only :D

Sadly, I remember going to Staples(the only place in town that carried PC stuff) and buying another 256meg of RDRAM for like $250 when HL2 came out.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

I actually have 4.......750GB PATA drives. The were the biggest ever made so I had to get some. But they aint no SSDs. If PATA SSDs would actually work decently. I'm just too busy right now to experiment with PATA SSD configs. I know CF and SD are probably not very well optimized for desktop file systems(?). Probably horrible random performance(?).

I used an 240gb 840Pro mSATA--->PATA adaptor setup for my old Dell laptop and it works flawlessly, as well as making an ancient machine run relatively well. If you can possibly afford it, I would try my best to go SSD, the improvement is tremendous.

I had poor results with the cheap plastic Chinese msata-IDE enclosure, but the bare PCB-style adaptors worked without a hitch, if that helps.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

When I looked at other computer-building forums(*cough*reddit), when SA was down, there were STILL hordes of people recommending and building Bulldozer 8-core(sorta) machines because ALL THOSE CORES MAN, gently caress INTEL. Give those people an actual competitive chip in single-threaded performance that still has a bunch of cores and they'll lose their poo poo. It doesn't have to be quite as power-efficent or -quite- as fast as the latest Intel chip, just reasonably close.

Hell, I'd buy one for a VM box- I'm still using a Westmere Xeon 'cause it has six cores and was cheap, but I'd like USB3 and SATA 600.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeah, I wouldn't get too worked up about the BIOS procedures until this thing hits the market, it's almost certain to change.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Eletriarnation posted:

e: Really, think about Northwood->Prescott.

No. You can't make me.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

hifi posted:

I wouldn't overclock an intel cpu on the stock cooler, and looking at the ars technica and anandtech 7700k reviews, they agree with me.

I thought K-series chips didn't come with stick coolers anymore?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

laptop makers segregate AMD APUs to a ghetto of flimsy plastic laptops with bad screens and poo poo batteries, and Zen probably won't change that

My (constantly poor)buddy just bought one and that's absolutely true and it's too bad, because his graphics performance is fairly good compared to low end mobile Intel chips.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I wouldn't go that far, but $100 for hyperthreading? That's just a big 'gently caress you' to consumers. Same thing for the prices of the upper crust chips on the HEDT platform, $1100 and $1700 is just ridiculous bullshit because they can.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I thought that only pertained to DX10/11, and DX12 was a clean-sheet design without all that AMD legacy cruft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Huh, that's interesting, maybe, like you said, it's intrinsic to GCN. Definitely hitting the CPU harder.

• Locked thread