Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

They just run hot and cold. Real strong for a few years, and then they get stomped for a while. Probably just a by-product of product cycles in their industry. They're due to get hot again soon.

More like a byproduct of all the anticompetitive poo poo Intel pulled to keep AMD from getting the profits they needed and deserved back during the Intel Netburst era when AMD had the better hardware. If you'll recall Intel just settled with about everyone last year to keep from going to court over the stuff. Amd, Department of Justice, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Faceless Clock posted:

Does it really matter?

The AMD Athlon X4 system is going to be substantially slower. You'd only buy it if you can't afford the Intel. It's not even a "bang-for-your-buck" solution. It's just what you buy if you can't afford better.

So wrong. So very wrong. Tech Report has covered this very subject in more thorough detail and Athalon x4 is a great system to build around on a budget.

Edit: Hey here's a link! http://techreport.com/articles.x/18448/17 Ownage.

Edit 2: Hmmm. Techreport hasn't done their recommended system builds with Sandy Bridge... I may be talking a little out of my rear end. But the Athalon still gets the nod on their budget builds. http://techreport.com/articles.x/19868/2

Budget... Can't afford Intel... Ahh dammit all to hell I'm going home.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 1, 2011

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dammit quote is not edit.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What kills me is people who are cheering on AMD to succeed and become competitive with Intel again so they turn around and buy more Intel chips at what they hope will be lower prices.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah i hate it when people act like rational consumers instead of blind fanboys.

Yeah I hate it when people want to post witty zingers instead of adding anything worthwhile to the conversation.

Agreed posted:

I've built both AMD and Intel systems. If AMD just outright wins a generation I'll be loving tickled pink to build another AMD system, it'd be pretty nice to be able to do that. But my job requires performance and the smart money is Intel for now, and was in 2008 when I built my last computer. In 2003 it was a different story and I loved the AMD Athlon XP system at the time, felt like lightning. It's not about fanboyism, it's just practical decisionmaking based on price and performance.

I really don't think its about being a fanboy in the case. In order for AMD to "outright win a generation" they have to get the revenue in order to pump into R&D in order to do that. I just don't see AMD ever being able to get the money they need to get the lead back from Intel if everyone holds this view. In a situation like this where AMD is the largest thing keeping Intel's prices in check. I feel like its part of being a responsible consumer to support AMD to keep the x86 market place from becoming more of monopoly ruled by one company.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Do you think that point number 2 has some validity to it?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey more Bulldozer news

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21848

Scott Wasson posted:

Oddly enough, the benchmarks we selected months ago for our overclocking performance tests seem to be pretty well suited to the Bulldozer architecture. Thus, turning up the clock frequency allows the FX-8150 to put up some really nice numbers, tying or beating a Core i7-2600K overclocked to 4.5GHz in several cases. There are some pain points here, such as the difference in single-threaded Cinebench performance between the FX-8150 at 4.7GHz and the Core i5-2500K at stock (scores of 1.16 vs. 1.48, respectively). Still, had Bulldozer landed at frequencies north of 4.5GHz within conventional power envelopes, the competitive landscape might look rather different. Indeed, if GlobalFoundries can manage to refine its 32-nm fabrication process to allow such speeds in the coming months, who knows?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ha ha look how wrong Engadget gets it.

Engadget.com posted:

AMD shaves 800 million transistors from Bulldozer chip, swears nothing's wrong

By Chris Barylick posted Dec 6th 2011 1:21AM
When a company cuts 40 percent of its transistors from an upcoming processor, one question comes to mind: why? According to ExtremeTech, AMD issued an update stating that its Bulldozer eight core / four module CPU would feature 1.2 billion transistors, as opposed to the previously stated two billion transistors. The reduction occurred despite the fact that the die size remains unchanged at 315 square millimeters -- putting it on par with AMD's lesser Llano chip -- and depriving the chip of valuable horsepower before I/O, an integrated memory controller or HyperTransport are added. When approached for comment, company representatives stated they were simply correcting a mistake regarding the chip's actual specifications. Before you bemoan the fate of the Bulldozer chip, remember that the drummer from Def Leppard has had a terrific musical career with only one arm, so what's the loss of several hundred million transistors to AMD's latest?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 6, 2011

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

But they say the correct thing right there, that the company was just correcting a mistake in handed out specs.

It's not news item worthy on a site like Engadget..

The headline and the first part of the article make it sound like AMD reduced the number of transistors on the chip instead of just updating the incorrect information on the number of transistors. Its misleading with how they present the information and good for a laugh with how misleading it is.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

pixaal posted:

I see your logic, I'm going to run windows 3.1, and if I need DirectX I'll boot into windows ME.

I would be afraid to see Windows ME boot on modern hardware. I think a black hole would open...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Is it just me or is there a mental disconnect between people earlier in this thread preaching "buy the best for your money" as a reason to go Intel and calling out AMD "fanboys" are now the same people who are holding onto to their Nvidia cards even though AMD has the better cards out now?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Its like AMD is in a catch 22. "Hey you have poo poo cpus, we're not going to buy them. Hey you have good video cards, still not gonna buy them." I know there's more to it than this but this is the impression I'm getting from people talking online.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just from people's comments on various tech websites, this one included talking about how they are all waiting for Nvidia's gpu to come out with this latest AMD launch.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

Its like AMD is in a catch 22. "Hey you have poo poo cpus, we're not going to buy them. Hey you have good video cards, still not gonna buy them." I know there's more to it than this but this is the impression I'm getting from people talking online.

HalloKitty posted:

What? No. People are buying AMD GPUs, and have been for a long time. The 7970s have been selling, even at such high prices.
Don't forget that their GPUs are also in the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii.

I'm not sure where that idea is coming from. Their CPUs on the other hand, yes, they are dire.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22543
JPR: Nvidia ruled discrete GPUs last quarter

quote:

The latest discrete graphics shipment figures from Jon Peddie Research are in, and they suggest Nvidia is holding on to a growing piece of a shrinking market. Here are the research firm's market share estimates, which pertain strictly to "graphics AIBs" (a.k.a. graphics add-in boards, or discrete graphics cards):

Overall, JPR says shipments of discrete graphics cards shrank from 17.2 million in the third quarter to 16.1 million in the fourth—a 6.5% drop. For the year as a whole, JPR estimates a 0.4% decline from 2010, down to $14.9 billion. The firm attributes the, er, shrinkage to a pull back by consumers and a gradual decline in [average selling prices]."

Nvidia's market share may be growing, but the company did see its revenue and profits plunge in its last fiscal quarter. If my math is right, the company's forecast for the ongoing quarter would also equate to a year-on-year slump. AMD's GPU business isn't doing much better; in the holiday quarter, it shrank by 5% quarter-to-quarter and 10% year-on-year.

I know this is going back a ways. But this right here is where I getting that idea from. I don't know what AMD can do but they don't have the gpu marketshare that their products should have for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

L-O-N posted:

This doesn't take into account AMD's integrated GPUs, which is eating into both Nvidia's low end and their own low end.

So what, that doesn't invalidate the point I was making.

• Locked thread