Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

conntrack posted:

Sounded like most computer stores before the K7 cpus from amd. Sure you could buy amd if you wished your system to catch fire and kill your dog or any such helpful hints.
You're right. However, in all fairness VIA chipsets were complete crap even at the height of the Athlon craze. My first PC (not my first computer, but Windows PC) was an AMD K6-2 300 MHz and I loved that thing, but during the first couple of rounds of K7 CPU's I absolutely refused to get one even though the price:performance was great. I refused to go anywhere near a VIA chipset and still today I'm wary about that poo poo company. Oh, and that was your only option until nVidia came around with the nForce (and then I jumped in to AMD world again).

Instead I spent money that I didn't have as a High Schooler on a P3 w/ a BX chipset because I was tired of messing with poo poo and just wanted a computer that worked well without crashing or being a bitch about installing a new piece of hardware.

Right now I have a new i7 2600, but I'm really looking forward to see what AMD has with Bulldozer and other things. I want to see them be awesome.

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

MeramJert posted:

Couldn't you get a SiS chipset (lol) too, or did they come out after nforce?
Yea, SiS was always around and always horrible. They were around even pre-K7. AMD even had their own chipset for the first-gen K7's to fill the void which was also bad for I forgot what reasons.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Wedesdo posted:

Counterpoint: ECS K7S5A :coolfish:
...if it wasn't DOA because it was ECS.

• Locked thread