Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

spasticColon posted:

So is Bulldozer going to be worth waiting for or are they going to be a generation behind Intel again? I really want competitiveness between Intel and AMD again so Intel doesn't price gouge their chips.

Honestly, I'm still with AMD because I can pick up 85-90% of the ability for around 50% of the price. I can match if I spend 80% of the price of the equivalent Intel processor.

I picked up a Phenom X4 II 3.6Ghz for $100 a few weeks ago. Even with having to Upgrade the Motherboard, RAM, and Processor all at one, I only shelled out $300. The equivalent-performance i7 (2.6Ghz, model number I can't remember) was $290 for just the processor itself.

For that kind of price difference, I can happily lose that 15-20% performance

Edit: 3.4 Ghz. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Nonpython posted:

I don't care about brands, but Intel needs to stop the hyper-segmentation bullcrap

Mods, could you rename this to "Bulldozer - Rumored release: Computex"

What do you mean by "hyper-segmentation"? I honestly don't get the reference.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Nonpython posted:

I mean the whole B65/H61/H67/P67/Q65/Q67/Z68 thing.

Thank you. I thought maybe you meant something in the architecture itself.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

After reading through benchmarks and this thread, my question is "What benefits or spiffy technology are actually in Bulldozer?"

I mean, in two years after they get 5 Ghz in the core design going to be where they get a lot of money out of it, or something? Is there any value here as a processor?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

I was promised disposable ethanol fuel cells like a decade ago. Where are they?

After the fifth or sixth immolated research scientist, others have stopped offering to thin the herd.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

Yes but I'm making the assumption that Apple would not make a new Mac Mini or iMac with a discrete GPU.

Mac Minis probably not - they are just taking the same mainboard as is in the MB or MBA and cramming it into a stylish case. But the Retina iMacs have discreet GPUs. Why would they switch those to integrated?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Only the 27-inch ships with a discrete GPU by default.
Woop, I forgot about the 21.5" retinas. :v:

EdEddnEddy posted:

If they start using higher end Intel Iris powered chips, but even then they may have the option of Discrete vs Integrated as even the Iris 580 is only around 750Ti levels and pushing a 5K screen with that may still be a bit much.

The 21.5" Retina iMacs have an Iris Pro 6200 that seems to work well for 4K. Next generation might work well for 5K, which is sad. Discrete GPUs are very useful.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

When I was doing random things, today, a question popped up that I don't have the expertise to answer. If this isn't the right place, feel free to yell at me:

Why can't an x86 processor scale down to zero, or nearly-zero, Mhz? My i5 Windows laptop drops down to 1Ghz (from 2.8), my AMD FX drops down to about 1.3Ghz (from 4Ghz) on Linux. My iMac i5 drops down to about 1.1 Ghz from 2.9Ghz.

In all cases, system load is below 10% or so. Why doesn't the clock speed go lower? My mind tells me it's related to having a consistent multiplier with the FSB, but I haven't been that deep into the hardware for years so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

TheShazbot posted:

I have an FX-8350 with a stock cooler (oh god) which I don't know why I haven't upgraded yet.

What do people with these processors recommend for air cooling? My case is not optimized for airflow, I suspect. Is there a thread on that?

I have an 8320 with stock cooler and it stays consistently within 5F of the ambient room temperature when idle. When loaded it'll jump to about 15-20F above room temp. You need to get good airflow both into and out of the processor cooling area before you decide if the stock cooler is your weak spot.

Edit: Also, every other year, no matter your cooler, you should pull off, clean, and re-apply the thermal paste and heat sink.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Professor Science posted:

yeah you're wrong. let's simplify this a bunch and say that there are two kinds of power consumption: static and dynamic. static is determined by whether the chip is on, dynamic is determined by the clock. changing the clock has no impact on static power. so even if you go to 1MHz, you still pay the entire static part (which is a lot). accordingly CPUs use idle states that turn off the clock to various parts of the chip depending on how long they're going to be idle (since a CPU is either running instructions on a given cycle or it isn't), which reduces both the dynamic and the static power consumption.

So, in basics, the minimums I'm seeing are the minimum required energy to keep the processor "on" so if they cut the processing speed to 500Mhz from the current idle of 1Ghz, they use the same amount of power in both states because it's keeping one segment of the core alive at the lowest power level available?

Interesting.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

acknowledge my idea of using "All-in-Wonder" again, but this time to flog APUs, damnit. :colbert:

:golfclap:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Grey Area posted:

Why would they make upgraded versions of the PS4/XB1 if they intend to launch all-new consoles soon?

:10bux:
Sony and Microsoft have wanted to shorten the 5+ year generation gap for years. I could see it being a "New Console -> Upgraded Console -> New Console" step pattern every 2.5 years.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

SwissCM posted:

I see it more as New Console -> Upgraded Console -> Upgraded Console -> Upgraded Console.

PPC is dead (at least in the consumer space) and it would be stupid to break hardware compatibility again, particularly considering the ridiculous effort and money put into backwards compatibility through emulation. Unless some amazing new architecture comes up down the track both consoles are probably just going to stick to slightly customised PC parts as they are now.

I agree, I was referencing versioning more than architecture: PS4 -> PS4 Pro -> PS5 -> PS5 DoublePlusGood and so forth. I don't expect an actual architecture change anytime soon, either.

fishmech posted:

The main thing that the upgraded PS4/Xbox One are targeting is the ability to reliably render games at better than 1080p resolution, because 4k is going to be the new high end for a while. It'll probably be quite some time before the upgraded models get replaced.

I disagree simply because they make a lot of money on their consoles. By the end of the 5 years, people aren't buying them anymore because everyone had a PS3 when the PS4 was released. Short of intentionally making lovely consoles, which didn't work out so great for Sony, they'll keep an upgrade cycle of some sort rolling along.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 9, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Why the hell aren't they going LGA?

You'll get pins and you'll like it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Haquer posted:

I saw some people on other forums praising the pinned CPUs because a motherboard with bent pins is just terrible! (Ignoring the cpu generally costs more)

Also just bend those cpu pins back with a credit card no big deal guys honest!

Honestly, I'd rather deal with the cost of the CPU vs removing all of the devices and wiring from a motherboard to replace it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Haquer posted:

Yeah I like dealing with 50%-100% more cost to save me 20 minutes of work too.

Yeah, I guess if you are buying bargain basement motherboards and coupling that with a $200 processor and enjoy wasting your own time, you may have a point.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....I'm still not convinced you're not all having a joke at my expense. Is this really a thing? I can honestly say that I have never had this issue with USB headers before, of any flavor.
It's not a joke. Some boards are laid out like they never actually installed them into a case. On top of that, the plastic used in some of those USB3 header boxes are ridiculously low-quality. I've seen it happen in HPs and Dells when people are simply moving the header cable out of the way while working on them.

Haquer posted:

To make sure it doesn't get jostled during EXXXXXXTREME GAMING sessions :colbert:

Computer tossing is the new extreme gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

One thing I learned about ASMedia (and Oculus) was the ASMedia drivers from ASUS for the X99 that supposedly fix the USB3.0 ports for Oculus support, causes my comp to BSOD after a few seconds upon logging in on my X79 system.

The drivers install normally as if they were designed for it, but man does it suck that you can't just F8 to load startup options on Win8+ like you could on 7. :argh:

Luckily 3 BSOD crashes and you finally get the option of Safe Mode to remove those suckers. :v:

(Is there a way to boot into safe mode around POST time that I just clearly have overlooked since 8 came out?)

Nope. Go to msconfig and then on the boot tab set how you want to boot next time. With Windows 8+ you don't actually shut down anymore, you log off and essentially hibernate so you don't have the pre-load options like you had in 7 and before because it loads the saved state instead of serially loading like it used it (Kernel->Drivers->UI etc)

If you can't boot, you can endlessly blue screen, like you did, or you can boot to the CD/Flash drive with the windows 10 installation media and go to the Repair Your PC option.

It's keen. :v:

Arsten fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 28, 2016

• Locked thread