Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Are we at the point with desktop software that >2 cores is providing a real performance leap, other than in media encoding? I'm sticking with my tri-core Athlon2, since all the 6-core phenom benchmarks don't show significant gains over what I have. I'm having a hard time getting excited for bulldozer, since it doesn't seem to be bringing anything new to the table with regard to super-fast all around performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Sufficient gaming performance doesn't require an i5/i7 - most current games are still playable on a 2/3/4 core Athlon 2. I'll eat one of my socks if these upcoming benchmarks actually outpace Intel's current line, though.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

trandorian posted:

This is just confusing, how can the FPS vary by almost 90 for the AMD chip while the Intel chip only varies by 51?
It looks like the AMD processor takes more serious hits from high-demand computing situations (more physics calcs, more enemies/ai, etc) than the intel processor does. Might be that the code is optimized for one architecture, but the thing that matters is that any new chip runs all existing code well, and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Not to mention that 2500k's overclock like beasts out of hell and are getting a price cut the moment the bulldozer chips come out. You are also guaranteed an upgrade path if you really need it to the ivy bridge models.

Bulldozer is too little too late for AMD.

I thought Intel didn't cut prices of their chips. But yeah, AMD is getting a serious black eye off this one. I hope it doesn't mean the beginning of the end. Intel needs a competitor.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Newegg is a hotbed of AMD fanboyism. Not that the A2's and Phenom2's were bad CPU's, but the reviews speak of them as if they're water-walking Jesus processors. For the most part, bulldozer will run all modern software and games acceptably, just not as well as intel parts. And the tardcore AMD fans are just fine with that.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

AMD Roadmap Discussion: Let's talk about IE6 instead

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I'm an idiot, move on.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Worse, Bulldozer looks almost unplayable in most of the graphs.
It spikes up and down like mad.. that would be a horrible experience.

In one of the tests, the 2500k has a minimum of about 15fps - not great, but not unplayable, where Bulldozer hits <5fps, which would be horrendous.

Bulldozer pales in comparison to the 2500k, but realize that a lot of those benchmarks were done on a triple-head setup, and most of us won't be gaming on those kind of setups. They even do a "playable" summary, which shows that for most people, BD is adequate for gaming. You'd still be a frothing fanboy to purchase AMD right now, though, all other things being equal.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a nicely formatted wikipedia article listing all the GPU families and the hosed up re-naming? I would think that would be one of the best forms of information against the practice.
Once Tom's updates their graphics card heirarchy, that's probably one of the best places.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-7.html

I hadn't built a system for 4 - 5 years, and was completely out of the loop when buying a new card, and this helped straighten things out for me. Nvidia and AMD certainly aren't interested in laying this out plainly.

Probably the reason you'll see a card with a 64-bit interface and 1GB of VRAM next to a card with a 128-bit interface and 512MB. How is Joe Consumer supposed to make sense out of that poo poo without scouring forums for weeks prior to purchase?

It would be nice if both companies (and Intel, I guess) would adopt a performance rating system that helped consumers out with basic raw performance. You'll still have DX feature support, outputs, interfaces, and all that to worry about, but it would be a nice goodwill gesture.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Has AMD taken all their high-end Phenom II x6 CPU's off the market? I have an AM3-based system that I do a lot of encoding on (Handbrake / Foobar), and when I'm working at it, I constantly have my Athlon II x3 445 pegged at 100% on all 3 cores. I was shopping around for an 1100T as a possible replacement, and I see that it's not carried by either Newegg or Amazon anymore.

I was hoping that there was some sort of upgrade path, but is my only option to move to another motherboard/CPU combo? Moving to an x4 wouldn't be much of an upgrade (and my 4th core won't unlock). I'd consider BD if it were AM3 compatible, but if I need to get a new motherboard as well, I might as well move to intel.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I feel so sorry for the dude that just wants to make his COD game play better and stares at the wall of video cards in Best Buy. If you're not thoroughly researching and following this stuff, it's utterly mind numbing. I suppose you can always make the connection that Higher $$ = more better, but the consumer seems to be the enemy of video card marketers.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I'd spend good money if AMD (or nv) could produce a video card that performed at mid-range levels, but didn't require an aux. power source or a massive cooling unit. I'm currently rocking a HD5450 because my wife and I wanted a quiet PC, and it does just fine pushing dual 1920 monitors. The last gam3r card I had in there (4850) sounded like a hairdryer.

Are the days of passively cooled video cards gone?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

While that card is passively cooled, it still requires additional power, and has the case heating issues that go along with that. I was hoping AMD would solve the problem at the chipset level, rather than an OEM solution that takes 3 slots because the heatsink is so massive.

This is the card I'm currently using. Remember when just about every video card looked like this? I'd like to see mid-range performance in a package this size. Pipe dream?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131339

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Well at least the APU's are no longer just totally laughable performance on the desktop, though unless I absolutely had to game on a computer and had to do so without a discrete graphics card, the CPU is still inferior to a Core i3 overall while using twice as much power at the same price. They are roughly equivalent in multi-threaded tasks and Intel as one would expect dominates the single-threaded tasks. If Intel were to talk Aleron's idea and cut prices on the Core i3's by 10-20 bucks, it would do a lot to take the sails out of the Trinity. A theoretical 100 dollar Core i3 would really hit the right spot marketing wise.

If you're talking about gaming without a discreet card, there's no question - the i3 pales in comparison. Realistically, both CPU's can push most modern games, but the Trinity GPU kicks the poo poo out of the HD 2500.

This will be a respectable CPU for cheap, small integrated systems. The $400 box you get for your gramma at Best Buy.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

keyvin posted:

Well, I may have a reason to buy an AMD processor again after all...

Broadwell to be BGA only

Eh, I can't remember the last time I swapped through several CPU's on the same motherboard. I can't see this as the death of enthusiast computing, though the number of components you need to buy has dropped significantly over the years as more and more has become part of the motherboard.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Anyone getting a 5ghz CPU is already wasting far more energy running their video card(s). Intel is resting on their power-sipping laurels, and has put performance on the back burner. Good time for AMD to sweep in, though intel is probably on the right track for the long haul.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

"Unlocked for overclockers". I wonder how much headroom they have.

And since they state that they'll be available this Summer, it could be within a month.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

As long as AMD is going full retard with the power consumption, I'd love to see them make a dual socket motherboard aimed at consumers. Remember the Abit BP6 and people running dual celerons? I guess that would also require that they enable SMP on the FX chips (not sure if they have or not), but why not at this point?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Install Gentoo posted:

Comes with its own coal fired power plant that fits in any reasonably sized backyard. Sell your surplus heat to the neighbors or use it for your AMD home co-generation plant for the rest of your house!

Don't high-end GPU's at full load already use more wattage than this? And people cram multiples of those into their systems.

Besides, what else are you going to use this for?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207020

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Eulogistics posted:

TL'DR: What's so bad about AMD processors for a guy who doesn't upgrade every year?

For the most part, desktop systems don't represent the same performance per dollar you get from an intel chip. On top of that, systems of late are massive power hogs, while intel is heading in the direct opposite direction.

Integrated systems are actually pretty nice, though. The AMD APU's swap positions with intel on CPU/graphics performance. So if you're building something tiny that you also want to game (HTPC maybe), AMD might have an edge.

If AMD continues their brute force performance increases, they might hold up against intel's Broadwell, as intel has only lately shown modest performance gains, focusing on reducing power consumption. But you'll have a system that pulls 200 more watts just to push the CPU.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

I was gonna say, isn't the 2500K as old as the hills? No wonder AMD finally looks competitive :v:

2500k is still absolutely relevant, because ivy bridge and haswell didn't make very big performance jumps. An oc'd 2500k compares well to 4670k.

New (true) 8-core haswells will destroy everything, as least on the build your own consumer end.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/intel-returns-to-its-roots-with-slew-of-overclocker-friendly-desktop-cpus/

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

calusari posted:

New CPUs, same 8 cores and clock speed but now at 95W TDP

Looks like they're competitive with i5's in certain media creation benchmarks. And not much else.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I secretly enjoy seeing the Phenom X6 post higher numbers than any other AMD CPU in the last 4 years.

That's hilarious. I handed down my parents my old 1090t when I moved to intel and they're very happy with it. But honestly, CPUs haven't moved that far ahead terms of performance over the past few years.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/6

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Anyone else have this friend? He blows $1000+ at Frys and has to show off his build. I tried talking him into exchanging his CPU before opening everything up. He got a r9 270, so the slight benefits of getting an APU are irrelevant.

This is AMD's customer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

keyvin posted:

Maybe your friend is earning fat stacks by astroturfing.
That's cool, I'm paid off by Intel. Got my fanboy check last night in the mail.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

keyvin posted:

Its a recurring theme that when people ITT want to look at something positive we start talking about Intel.

Oh, I dunno. I still love the 1090t machine I handed down to my parents. It even competes favorably against AMD's 2014 parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

El Scotch posted:

When the day comes to replace my 3570k AMD will have something worth buying, right guys?

Right?

:smith:

• Locked thread