Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Alereon posted:

Pshhh, Abit NF7-S v2.0, bitches. Remember when nVidia accidentally made good onboard audio on the nForce2, called SoundStorm? I assume it was an accident because they never repeated their mistake on future chipsets.

My old motherboard with soundstorm still lives on at my parents house. I miss that old board. I miss soundstorm. That poo poo owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Looks like we'll be abandoning AMD for our compute clusters here if these numbers carry over to the kind of work we do, which it looks like it will.

This processor is a Shakespearean tragedy in every sense.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Bulldozer is the action that needs to be done with the chip. As in bulldoze the plans into a landfill.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

How stupid would I be to go out and purchase a 6850? The pricing for the AMD stuff lately is extremely confusing. I really only care about being able to play BF3 at 1920x1080 round about 60 FPS or so.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

pixaal posted:

If you are okay with medium settings it should be do able. I can double check, I normally am find with 45FPS though, so I tune my settings around that not 60 and I'm fine with a 6850 in BF3. I think I have a mix of mid and high and maybe 1 ultra or something that's low intensity.

Right now I'm playing everything on low, with textures on medium I think, at 1280x720 and getting anywhere from 30 to 120 FPS. Op Metro I usually get 80 in the train station section and 30 outdoors with spikes all over the place. So if I could just knock stuff up to say medium and get 45-60 FPS with fewer spikes that'd be great.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Dogen posted:

Yeah this is why the old fat PS3 doesn't support 3D, because only the slim is HDMI 1.4. Also bitstream DTS-HD (fat ps3 problem, not HDMI 1.3 problem there. Don't know why it is that way)

My fat PS3 with software PS2 emulation supports 3D. :confused:

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Is a Sapphire 7950 OC edition going to be capable of running BF3 at 1920x1080 at ultra quality around 60FPS? I likely won't be using AA or anything like that.

Has AMD gotten their act together in regards to BF3?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I feel so dumb for buying a 7950 now. The GTX570 eats the 7950 in everything I play. It's disturbing.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

Edit: Thinking about it a little more, Apple could also make a play for the AMD processor division, so they wouldn't be dependent on Intel for the chips in their desktops and laptops (similarly to how they make their own tablet/phone SoCs). They certainly have the resources, but Apple and Intel seem to have a very good relationship so I don't know if Apple has the motivation to do that right now.

Two reasons this will never happen:

1) Intel's power consumption in the mobile space annihilates what AMD currently has and with Haswell there won't be competition.

2) Apple seems to be heavily investing in ARM. They're even making their own processor designs. If anything I see Apple scaling their processors up to the point where they're comparable to whatever Intel offers and then giving Intel the finger.

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD gets eaten piecemeal by nVidia for the x86 license and Apple buying out the graphics division. Then we'll have two big processor manufacturers, Intel and Apple. Unless Nvidia can do something magical, which I think they could. If anything it looks like in the long run ARM is going to come to dominate and x86 will fall to the wayside.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Ragingsheep posted:

AMD's x86 licence is potentially void if its taken over or bankrupted unless Intel says otherwise though.

That reeks of anti-trust lawsuit though.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

AMD's slides always look like crap when compared with Intel's. You'd think they'd hire someone with better powerpoint design skills...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Wouldn't 220W of power end up melting motherboards like the old intel prescott cores?

• Locked thread