Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

roadhead posted:

I'm pretty sure the average person can count on one hand the number of times they've completely pegged their CPU in the last week. Yes its the thing everyone thinks they need, but raw CPU performance is "good enough" on any modern processor in my opinion.
If you're gaming, then there are substantial differences in overall smoothness of gameplay, even if the differences in GPU-dependent, averaged framerates aren't big. Most of the time there are other bottlenecks in the system, but in spots which it is CPU-dependent, the difference is noticeable. E.g. the time taken to render one frame at constant 60 FPS is 16.7 ms, and if it takes longer than that, then that's a stutter, a drop in framerate. The graph on Skyrim timedemo is especially telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
^^ Wanted to post this.

lil sartre posted:

Yea, I'm gonna see a difference between 190 and 230 fps. My eyes are augmented.

That's because they are average FPS numbers over a longer benchmark period of time, most the time of which the numbers are GPU-limited in the first place. It's when there's really stuff happening on screen, new models and actors created and uploaded to GPU, new bits of map loaded, that's when weaker CPU will lag and stutter while a fast CPU will blaze through with a constant framerate. You can stare at a wall in any game on any system and get great FPS, but that's not a great indicator of the smoothness of actual gameplay.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
[wrong thread]

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

FuturePastNow posted:

Getting slightly faster RAM is the weakest performance upgrade ever. Why even worry about it?

Can confirm a noticeable performance gain in that game when overclocking my DDR3 sticks from 1333 to 1866 MHz

• Locked thread