Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

teagone posted:

Do you have a lesser client PC you could test a stream to? Like a zacate or something. I'm curious since your host PC is significantly more powerful than mine to see if the host specs do indeed make a difference in client performance. My host/client setup also utilizes Realtek gigabit...is it possible in-home streaming performance would fare better on intel LAN?

It works on C-60(which is a slower Zacate), though I've tested only 1024x600 or 1280x720 resolution. Realtek GbE through WLAN-N router, no problems even at 80 mbps quality. So far I've only played LA Noire which locks the game to 30 fps. I'm using the latest In-Home streaming beta which supports Nvidia hardware encoding.

As the client only has to do H264 decoding(which is done through DXVA2) I should see no issues for AMD netbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Anandtech benched the cherry-picked 4-module FX-8350s aka FX-9590.

Here are some choice words regarding the situation from the focus group:

quote:

Well, one pro is that you get a processor that is fairly comparable to an Intel i7 in performance, and most importantly, you'll be giving your money to a company that didn't try to screw you by attempting to corner the market through extortionate threats to their own OEM customers if they used AMD CPUs when they were better than Intel's.

In other words, there may not be any technical advantages over Intel's competing products, but there are also no significant disadvantages, and at least by buying AMD, you won't feel like you need to take a bath afterwards to wash the filth off. I say to hell with Intel. Stop giving them money as punishment for their gangsterism.

quote:

Ive read up on bulldozer architecture. 4 modules with 2 logical and physical cores = 8 cores. Intels hyperthreading arent physical cores but software driven. so an OS sees an i7 with 8 cores even tho 4 of those cores are virtual. AMD has 8 physical/logical cores. Each module or 2 cores do have to share FpU, l2 cache (i think) and another thing. So, the cores are hampered by this but it doesnt take away the fact that there are 8 cores there. And i know its slow even though it has more cores than intel. But by refining it and better software optimization, i am wishing AMD to at least compete with intel enthusiast x99 chipset in the future with half the price. Why? Bc i cant afford intel. Simple as that.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

orange juche posted:

Murder the earth, scorch the planet, piss on the ashes :black101:

The "rolling coal" desktop

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
HP is bringing out a Chromebook competitor powered by A4 Micro-6400T with $200 price tag. The model in picture is equipped with 14" 1366x768 display, but when they release a model with 9" or 10.1" screen(and hopefully same resolution) with 64 gb storage, I'm going to snag it ASAP. I currently use a EeePC 1015BX which would otherwise be acceptable but it has 1 GB RAM(and the GPU reserves 275 MB of it) so it is painful to use.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Rosoboronexport posted:

HP is bringing out a Chromebook competitor powered by A4 Micro-6400T with $200 price tag. The model in picture is equipped with 14" 1366x768 display, but when they release a model with 9" or 10.1" screen(and hopefully same resolution) with 64 gb storage, I'm going to snag it ASAP. I currently use a EeePC 1015BX which would otherwise be acceptable but it has 1 GB RAM(and the GPU reserves 275 MB of it) so it is painful to use.

And scratch that, HP is only offering AMD on the 14" model, other models feature Intel Bay Trail Celerons or Atoms. Either Intel is throwing Bay Trails to OEMs for almost free or AMD has problems getting the performance or thermals for these things.

I've now ordered the replacement for 1015BX, The Transformer T100 refresh with Atom Z3775. It almost triples available RAM and GPU performance should be about the same and it will run circles around the Ontario CPU.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

Yep, still using mine. :)

The most recent machine I bought with an AMD chip in it was because I wanted an integrated Radeon GPU. The A4-1200 sucks, but it sucked less than comparable (~4W TDP) Atoms in the graphics department.

Can you tell me a game/software where you are GPU-bound instead of CPU? I think currently Spintires is the only game I have that meets the description. Silvermont Atoms have Ivy Bridge GPU slice(1/4 of the HD4000) and it's a pretty good performer TDP/SDP considered. I would've taken some higher-end Mullins SoC notebook if there were any available in 10.1" form but thanks to Intel giving out Atom designs for free to OEMs you can't choose AMD there either.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Does anyone know of a good pound-for-pound comparison between the A10-5700 and the A10-7800? I'm trying to weigh the value of upgrading my APU/mobo, all else being equal. I don't feel like paying $250 if I'm not getting a notable performance boost (gaming).

I think this is the closest comparison. All games in the benches have used iGPU though.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I think the PSU is custom to the case. I'm not mechanically savvy enough to start modding a bigger PSU into it. The PicoPSUs don't look to meet the 400w requirement of the 750.

It should still be enough for any card that takes power from the PCIe bus(max 75 W) as said before. If your current mobo has PCIe slot then you can add a GTX 750 to your current config. A10-5700 seems to be 65W cpu and if you disable the iGPU that saves some power too.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

El Scotch posted:

I need someone to throw me a bone on something I've been wondering; what's the point of these fancy onboard graphics they're putting in desktop processors? I understand why you'd want a combined unit for either mobile or basic office/consumer systems where people don't need much graphics power, but I don't understand the point when 99.9% of said chips will be paired with a separate gpu.

This is a five year old slide but the point stands: Amount of money made on enthusiast side is pretty low and probably is even lower now and the mainstream and value segments can be served with integrated GPU. OEM's like 'em because it's one less component to assemble and building costs are lower.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

No Gravitas posted:

Oh, I know that.

But you could just pick some cores and replace them with metal instead of even attempting fabbing them for cores. You would alternate core metal core metal core. Yes, your yields would suck. But would it actually help to get heat out of the chip?

With shrinking processes you could probably just have them in between the cores anyway. I always see the chip crammed on chip photograps, but maybe some metal spacers would help wick the heat out?

In addition to horrible yields you will double the core price per wafer, making a dual-core processor in four-core processor die size. And that would make manufacturing uneconomical.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

A Bad King posted:

I actually see quite a few A4/A6/A8 APU laptops for sale at military exchanges. Gaming performance at 720p to 1080p for less than $450 and it's portable with a 4 hr battery life to boot? Great little niche AMD found.

Depends what you mean by gaming performance because AMD likes to mix and match architectures within the same "series": A6 could mean a low-power Beema APU with 128 GCN cores or cut-down Kaveri with 192 GCN cores. A4 APUs are Bay Trail equivalent. Of course this all depends on what games one plays but highest-spec 384-core A10 laptop still struggles on games at 1366x768 resolution, higher resolutions still need dedicated GPU.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Semiaccurate predicts financial changes for AMD. I know, Semiaccurate, yadda yadda, grain of salt, but what will be spun off/sold to Samsung?

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Well, Another hit-or-miss news site suggests something is behind it, so it at least has a drop of credibility.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

A Bad King posted:

My workplace just bought the office some Carrizo-based HP laptops to replace the ancient Nehalem i5 Dells. Elite Book 700's.
"HSA is the future today!!!" marketing is working?

I'd wager it's more of

quote:

our owner decided Office was too pricey his business.
and

quote:

"please buy them" pricing

The price has determined the purchases, not hardware. But it's a good thing that the hardware compliments your tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

GrizzlyCow posted:

I'm left wondering how a Deneb can outpreform a similarly clocked Thuban by any such margin.

You mean x4 980 vs x6 1100t? 3.7 GHz is x4's base clock and x6's boost clock, thuban can't hold max boost.

• Locked thread