Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So as a 7970 owner, I'm still stuck using 11.12-based Catalysts. I thought for sure 12.1 would unify the card-specific releases again, but apparently not. Catalyst 12.1 and 12.2 Preview both do not support the 7900 series. I can't wait for the 7950 to land and watch AMD fork it again.
Hey, are you having issues with it not saving application profiles? Because this is driving me crazy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I can't believe it's been two months now and Nvidia not only doesn't have competition to the 7000 series yet, they haven't even said anything about it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

The most surprising thing about these GTX 680 reviews coming out are on the power consumption/acoustics side of things. Nvidia finally seems to be getting those under control and even beating AMD to some degree.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I'll probably pick one up, but I'm waiting for a store I buy from here in Canada has stock in the EVGA version. Now that the results are in, I'm getting off my experiment with the AMD card.

I know people have had different experiences so I'm not trying to start another debate. All I know is that personally the past year-and-a-half since I switched to using a Radeon card has been a non-stop barrage of driver issues.

The fact that you can now turn on Triple Buffering in DirectX and apply FXAA to anything directly in the new Nvidia drivers without fooling around with third-party tools is the clincher for me. That new vsync option sounds pretty interesting, too.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Magic Underwear posted:

Doesn't forcing FXAA blur the text on the screen? I remember reading that a game-specific fxaa implementation is needed to avoid that.
Yes it does, although that has been improving gradually. It's not something I would use for most things, but for games where traditional AA either doesn't work at all or doesn't do a very good job, I find it preferable to AMD's solution (MLAA). It's actually one reason why I switched to AMD. At the time, a lot of the games I was playing did not let you force AA at all and the fact that AMD was providing MLAA and Nvidia seemed focused on 3D, I decided to make the switch.

Nvidia are also working on something called TXAA which could be interesting.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 23, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I actually put money down to pre-order the EVGA GTX 680 at NCIX. I also asked for autonotify for all brands of the card at NewEgg for when they are no longer "Out of Stock". This all happened March 28th.

At this point, I refuse to believe this card actually exists.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 20, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I can understand no longer offering driver support in terms of performance enhancements, etc., but it seems odd that they won't even provide official drivers for Windows 8 at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

Looking at those reviews, you'd have to be an idiot to get the reference design over that ASUS for 20 bucks more.
I'll wait to see a second review confirming that performance, but it is kind of ridiculously good. That said, if other reviews do show the same performance, I wouldn't be suprised if ASUS decides to raise the price before it hits stores.

• Locked thread