Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

IsaoHung posted:

What can be done?

Give them all forty acre (or the smallest plot one could build a house on and drop a FEMA trailer on it) plots in low-population red states, thereby allowing them to claim residency there and *vote* there using absentee ballots. :v:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You would think Andy Dean (no relation to Howard Dean I assume) went into a coma on 9/12/01 and was just awakened.

Bringing out old platitudes like "they hate us for our freedom/way of life" and basically reaffirming the "let's fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here!" mantra acting like the globe is some kind of giant checkerboard. I thought conservatives gave up on those lines ~10 years back.

Forget about all the lies, mistruths and the deaths over the last nearly fifteen years for a minute...some don't care about that stuff as long as it's not related to them. After the trillions of dollars (yes, cold hard cash) flushed down the toilet thanks to all the accoutrements of war you'd hope people would come to some kind of revelation that maybe every issue can't be solved with a weapon. But it appears some are ready to ratchet up the action in Syria and Iran without much reservation and have yet another do-over in Iraq. Absurdism is alive and well.

We're still in the early stages of course. We haven't even gotten the proper label down for the new enemy yet: ISIS or ISIL.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Saw Bill's standup last week in Red Bank and he was pretty drat funny. No Chris Christie jokes which I was surprised about but I guess he used them all up.

Edit: holy crap just watching this episode, can't believe they had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to have Andy Dean on it. I catch his radio show once in a while and he is awful.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 2, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I forgot how much of a hypocritical piece of poo poo Reihan Salam is.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

comes along bort posted:

I forgot how much of a hypocritical piece of poo poo Reihan Salam is.

Honest question: how the hell could you forget that?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

As dumb as Salam is the "heh ever heard of the Statue of Liberty :smug: ?" as some sort of infallible argument ender is so stupid.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Maher's comments on Israel/Palestine were very frustrating. Did he really say that the Palestinians had a choice to live in some other Muslim countries and denied it, thus they don't want to end the conflict? Or did I misheard him?

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
When I was a kid Bill Maher was like this outrageous progressive character but now when I watch his HBO show it's like watching a liberal Bill O'reilly. He forgives Zionism constantly and treats Muslims like poo poo when he isn't getting constantly owned by Glenn Greenwald. His audience doesn't even understand half the sick burns his guests lay down.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I think Maher's point on Palestine was centered on their neighbors in the region being content with the ongoing strife to exploit as red meat/proxy fodder as opposed to actually wanting to help the Palestinian folks have a better life.

Granted, this was also mixed in with his cringeworthy bias that muddies his point especially with the one guy having to break down for him far more than he should've as far as Israel lacking a universal moral highground for the last great while at the least.

Maher really doesn't mesh well with Islam, especially after 9/11's fallout after his old show(which is really incongruent with his current diatribes as by most other metrics he SHOULD land on the Greenwald/Snowden/etc side of things..) and his running more towards the especially angered Atheist side of things---with double speed and venom after Hitchens passed away.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I think Maher's point on Palestine was centered on their neighbors in the region being content with the ongoing strife to exploit as red meat/proxy fodder as opposed to actually wanting to help the Palestinian folks have a better life.

So like Israel and the US?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

So like Israel and the US?

On some level but the US doesn't have any land in the area to move people to. If the US had annexed Iraq into the 51st state it would've been a different story.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
What's with these college Republican media idiots and always speaking as quickly as possible? Settle down and take a breath, Sparky.

e: oh good it's the Hasbara fun hour.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 19, 2014

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Christ almighty HBO---they seriously couldn't get this Barber fellow a decent chair even come Overtime? He was a far more contributing character than that hack from the Daily Caller---get a stagehand to saw off an armrest or so and make that DC guy have to be the one standing up while, ideally, sporting a dunce cap.

Loved his insane premise on Medicaid that he seriously tried to let fly before getting shut down---"Hey guyz even if we maliciously block minorities from it the whole thing will magically implode in the 30's so you better be grateful for even that~"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think I will officially stop watching this show. Horrible episode. This show use to be insightful to me and I don't know whether it is because it has steadily gotten worse or that I am just more politically educated but drat is this show hard to watch now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Christ almighty HBO---they seriously couldn't get this Barber fellow a decent chair even come Overtime? He was a far more contributing character than that hack from the Daily Caller

It's surprising how quickly he's gotten national attention recently; he spoke at Netroots and the American Federation of Teachers conference just this week. I saw him last year at a Moral Monday event and he's pretty legit, but it seemed like it'd just be a local thing and their scope was limited, and the rallies this year have been a bit low-key so far.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think I will officially stop watching this show. Horrible episode. This show use to be insightful to me and I don't know whether it is because it has steadily gotten worse or that I am just more politically educated but drat is this show hard to watch now.

Overtime ruled, however, with the reverend praising Bill's atheism for his actions and what he stands for, stating that most 'Christians' behave like scumbags and support evil poo poo like everything on the GOP party platform. He's exactly the kind of guest they COULD put on every week-- the kind who justify the entire format of political debate shows like this. Sadly, you instead get the level of shitheadedness you see from every conservative who appears on the show. Hell, there's so many examples of them that you can't even name them all and their individual style of being a troll who derails discussion and shits on any proper debate that could happen without them present.

Someone posted on Reddit this last week, which made it to the top for a while, the picture of Dan Savage on the show with Grover Norquist, where Dan makes the joke about religious people thinking god can and does override the basic rules of biology and that he will keep inseminating his husband until god turns his rear end into a womb. Grover had a surly, bland look on his face when someone else was daring to joke on the comedy show he was on. Grover Norquist, of course, said that the Holocaust and taxation are moral equivalents. He literally said that. Any Jewish, gay, Romani, or Slavic person want to chime in and give their personal opinion on how comparable those two things are?

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 19, 2014

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Pretty much---while I can't recollect the exact time of conception, the regressive idiots have by now definitely honed their "winning" strategy of talking as loudly, often, and/or quickly as possible so as to scattershot the poo poo with maximum velocity to where the production realities of a live, hour-long show on HBO can't cope with taking the needed time to refute and rebuke them in full, on air.

Of course, if they started banning people/literally kicking them off the show with security live and making examples out of them, that'd help. Let's hope Bill's opening bit on Murdoch and potential incidental HBO acquisition don't actually come to pass---who's at the helm behind Showtime? I guess Maher could perhaps escape to there...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's not just his show. Chris Hayes' old 2 hour weekend show on MSNBC, which would rotate panel guests out about every half hour had the same problem whenever they booked one of those guests too. It'd just shut everything down for the entire segment. The only answer is to quit booking them. Maher himself has stated as much these people have nothing to offer and we all know what their response to any given topic will be, so why even bother bringing them on?

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of shutting out an entire segment of debate, but if it's completely worthless what's the point? We don't take the opinions of neo-Nazis and UFO researchers seriously.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 20, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Problem is that while they are about as legitimate as neo-nazis or UFO conspiracists, half the country unironically agrees with and believes teabagger/republican positions are not only not batshit crazy regressive bullshit that punishes everyone but the ultra-rich, but are good for them.

They are objectively wrong and insane but they are part of the zeitgeist.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
True, but the only way to make that not the case is to start ignoring them. Worked well enough in the run-up to the Iraq war when anyone pointing out that was a bad idea was essentially shut out of mainstream discourse.

Surely given the events of the week in Israel they could've gotten one person who wasn't a Zionist shill.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Everyone can relax. Matt Kibbe will be on next week. :laugh:

I like some of Nate Silver's articles but he seems more like an interview guest than a panelist.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Christ almighty HBO---they seriously couldn't get this Barber fellow a decent chair even come Overtime? He was a far more contributing character than that hack from the Daily Caller---get a stagehand to saw off an armrest or so and make that DC guy have to be the one standing up while, ideally, sporting a dunce cap.

That guy is big. The show should probably have a jumbo chair on hand.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Loved his insane premise on Medicaid that he seriously tried to let fly before getting shut down---"Hey guyz even if we maliciously block minorities from it the whole thing will magically implode in the 30's so you better be grateful for even that~"

People like to futilely project things 20-30 years out with certainty to try and dismiss something in the present. I think it's been a conservative talking point on and off even since at least the 70s that disaster is just around the corner for the SS program.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Zogo posted:

Everyone can relax. Matt Kibbe will be on next week. :laugh:

I like some of Nate Silver's articles but he seems more like an interview guest than a panelist.

That guy is big. The show should probably have a jumbo chair on hand.

People like to futilely project things 20-30 years out with certainty to try and dismiss something in the present. I think it's been a conservative talking point on and off even since at least the 70s that disaster is just around the corner for the SS program.

The first thing I thought when I saw that was 'Noooo, not sideburns guy'. And to think I was so happy two seconds earlier when Neil Degrasse Tyson's name flashed across the screen.....

richardfun fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 21, 2014

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Richard Wolff, Amy Goodman, and Neil deGrasse Tyson is a pretty big line-up for Team Left.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Hey an episode that wasn't a complete waste, mainly because Maher immediately laughed off whatever the two Republicans had to say and they remained mostly silent afterward.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"It's about leadership, Bill."

"Okay, so what do you mean by 'leadership?'"

*suddenly remembers this isn't a Fox News panel, starts to stammer about Obama not being 'respected' on the world stage because he - by implication - didn't risk starting World War III and IV over the Ukrainian Civil War because Putin needs to be ~put in his place~ by an Executive Branch that can then be blamed for the end of the world when the nukes start falling from the sky, thereby fulfilling the GOP/Religious Right prophecy about how electing the Kenyan Muslim Lizardman would bring about the apocalypse*

-what should have been said-

"Wow, I'm suddenly seeing why Santorum did so lovely in the 2012 primaries. Good thing, too - you'd have probably been his Chief of Staff."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 26, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I thought Bill was going to fall out of his chair when the Santorum guy suggested the US buy a bunch of French helicopters that Putin had his eye on just to annoy him as a strategy for dealing with Russia in a non-military fashion.

Ho-lee gently caress. That's some literal grade 2 playground poo poo right there.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hipster libertarian guy has silly sideburns. An astrophysicist laughs at masturbation. A Republican shill stutters and falters despite looking at his notes every two seconds. A good episode.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The better form would've been Wolff taking Kibbe's place on the panel which they could technically handwave away since Kibbe did have an almost certainly terrible new book he was indirectly plugging, Tyson also on the panel---Santorum guy...well...yeah. Wolff/Tyson/Goodman panel would've been all thriller no filler.

It got especially bad for that guy in OT as Tyson really got his shots in on top of Wolff. This was balanced however by Kibbe getting even worse by virtue of talking more, especially his "thoughts" on wealth.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Animal-Mother posted:

Hipster libertarian guy has silly sideburns.

Kibbe's trimmed them back a good bit, surprisingly enough. They used to cover nearly his entire face.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I thought Bill was going to fall out of his chair when the Santorum guy suggested the US buy a bunch of French helicopters that Putin had his eye on just to annoy him as a strategy for dealing with Russia in a non-military fashion.

It was amusing when he said the sanctions and other actions that Obama has already undertaken "do nothing" and then suggested the awesome French helicopter strategy. Do Republicans even listen to their own poo poo? Does it ever dawn on them that they have no argument? I guess when half the country eats it up they don't have to :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
When is Overtime actually available on hbo.com? On east coast.

TCT
Oct 13, 2012
Wow just watched them discuss Palestine, and I am out. gently caress Bill Maher.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
hahahahahahahahahaha, when Reza Aslan said that Amnesty International spent a month in Palestine and state that there's no evidence of human shields being used, the audience went 'ahhhh' as though facts are a political point you disagree with. God loving drat is this show just horrible.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
OT tends to be available by at least 8am on the east coast as that's where I'm at---sometimes runs late.

Yeah, the whole Palestine thing went over like a lead balloon and I really wish Nader had been on the panel to(though it looks like they had to scramble as I think Barbara Lee was supposed to be on via the show's info text?), presumably, shore up the "Hey, wait a minute, this guy is correct! You have been fed some nonsense by the corporate and state media apparatuses!" sentiment with some authority/seniority.

Not a great one to kick off the hiatus until this whole show/standup marathon bit come September.

ExiledTinkerer fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 3, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I've been a long time watcher of this show but the last few times they've discussed i/p it's been utterly painful. The last time was because it was a chorus of bullshit. Now it was because Reza Aslan said something actually in support of Palestinians and was hounded with idiotic lies and slights against his character (accusing him of defending Hamas). When he said 85% of those killed were civilians, and sorkin jumped in with a totally incredulous "they put them there!" as if it were a fact and some kinda gotcha moment was truly painful. And then everyone cheered at it...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gozinbulx posted:

I've been a long time watcher of this show but the last few times they've discussed i/p it's been utterly painful. The last time was because it was a chorus of bullshit. Now it was because Reza Aslan said something actually in support of Palestinians and was hounded with idiotic lies and slights against his character (accusing him of defending Hamas). When he said 85% of those killed were civilians, and sorkin jumped in with a totally incredulous "they put them there!" as if it were a fact and some kinda gotcha moment was truly painful. And then everyone cheered at it...

Maher has sucked Israel's cock for a long, long time, it's not like it's anything new. Reza had the deck stacked against him. Really, everyone questioning Israel does in this country.

nine-gear crow posted:

Ho-lee gently caress. That's some literal grade 2 playground poo poo right there.

This is literally how the right believes that god emperor Reagan blessed by his name defeated "Communism," outspending them into collapse in the arms race with useless bullshit. Of course they think it'll work again. Nevermind that it has no basis in reality and that France has plenty of arms to sell to whoever is paying no matter how ethical it may or may not be (something we do too). But whatever, Obama is a tyrant for using executive orders less than any other modern president but he's also a pussy for not starting WWIII; it's not even worth listening to the right at this point, at least in the 90s they had some points, ones I disagreed with, but they were at least somewhat coherent.

Also Chris Hardwick seems alright, I don't know why the internet hates him, but this is the first time I saw him in anything.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The Israel discussion's been horrible as expected, but at least it hasn't devolved to the point where a rabbi claims children are legitimate military targets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0JjxqTVRBo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IRQ posted:

Also Chris Hardwick seems alright, I don't know why the internet hates him, but this is the first time I saw him in anything.

Its resentment, more than anything, I'd wager.

Internet nerds resent that he's been chosen the avatar of "hip nerddom" by the media and not by them themselves, and its boiled over into hatred because it's the internet and the internet is terrible.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It's easy to find faults with any US president but it seems like the people coming on this show always take issue with something really innocuous thing Obama did. Doug Heye yesterday as the latest example.

I liked the humor in the show this time and that thing next month sounds interesting.

Gozinbulx posted:

I've been a long time watcher of this show but the last few times they've discussed i/p it's been utterly painful.

One could watch hundreds of hours of TV on Israel/Palestine and still not have a clue (it seems like I've seen this much at least). It seems on TV (and anytime I open a thread on the subject) it's an endless legal/moral/philosophical/religious/rights debate with people trying to convince the other that one side is superior than the other. Both sides trying to interject as many anecdotes as possible before the other screams louder. Both sides acting like their side is obligated to act as they are. Both sides with ~20 surefire talking points. Both sides seemingly biased.

Yet for all the talk I still have no clue why these groups can't coexist and what the hang-ups are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Zogo posted:

It's easy to find faults with any US president but it seems like the people coming on this show always take issue with something really innocuous thing Obama did. Doug Heye yesterday as the latest example.

Indeed. I kinda got the impression Heye was more outraged that Obama spilled the beans about torture than he was that people were tortured. I mean, if he was outraged about the actual torture of detainees/suspects one would think he would at least mention it before castigating the president for his tone.