Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ApexAftermath posted:

The "republican guy" on the panel was pretty weak. What dweeb to come on the show and not have even a vague awareness of current events.

He was okay I thought. He seemed to have thought out his views and had things to say instead of just spitting Fox News talking points. He can be on the list of conservative guests who aren't douchebags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Grand Fromage posted:

He was okay I thought. He seemed to have thought out his views and had things to say instead of just spitting Fox News talking points. He can be on the list of conservative guests who aren't douchebags.
Sorry but he belongs on that list very much, that's the bell curve dude. He thinks black people are genetically dumb and lazy. Rapper dude gave him poo poo for that right after he sat down, which surprised me, I didn't expect much from him but he was the best guest.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vodos posted:

Sorry but he belongs on that list very much, that's the bell curve dude. He thinks black people are genetically dumb and lazy. Rapper dude gave him poo poo for that right after he sat down, which surprised me, I didn't expect much from him but he was the best guest.

Oh, I didn't know that was that guy. Now I feel dumb.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Despite him writing a book, or whatever else about that, you'll note he didn't speak out of turn about it. That files him under not a dickbag status. People are allowed to be wrong.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

Despite him writing a book, or whatever else about that, you'll note he didn't speak out of turn about it. That files him under not a dickbag status. People are allowed to be wrong.

Fine he's not a dickbag he's just another in a long line of conservatives that continue to be wrong despite massive amounts of evidence debunking their poo poo for decades. Either he is ignorant, or disingenuous.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ApexAftermath posted:

Fine he's not a dickbag he's just another in a long line of conservatives that continue to be wrong despite massive amounts of evidence debunking their poo poo for decades. Either he is ignorant, or disingenuous.

So literally all conservatives?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

IRQ posted:

So literally all conservatives?

Fair point.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Nice to see Killer Mike, I'm a huge fan of that band. Although I'm kind of surprised that nobody like O'Reilly has latched onto them since they straight up advocate torturing and murdering police along with burning cities to the ground, guessing the hysterical anti hip hop crowd hasn't gotten around to the good albums of 2014 yet.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
That was one of my favorite episodes in a while. It wasn't balls to the wall funny or anything, or Super DEEP, but I really liked that Killer Mike guy, who I've never heard of before, and you just can't beat John Waters. The fact that they had so much in common to talk about was great. (I'm near bahmer, so I have a hard-on for John Waters, I know)

Also, Hirsi Ali was great.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Sorry for the double post, but I was catching up on some Vice, and I can't find a specific vice thread, but GODDAMN was that poor lady sitting there listening to those men in Uganda talk about literally raping women for being lesbians, directly to her face while laughing about it... And admitting to actually doing it personally before. And she just had to sit there and keep smoking her cigarette and nodding just for personal safety until she could leave.

That was just about the most uncomfortable I've ever seen someone be. Like ever. It was shocking. Even in this world of ever more shocking TV. It was actually just uncomfortable to watch even.

I don't always agree with Vice and their slant on some things; I actually found their North Korea special fascinating (hahah Dennis Rodman, whatever) and I like the other cookier ones like "rent a white guy" and other things I've never heard of. But that one up there, that was insane.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, the Vice Uganda/Kidney harvesting episode was pretty grim---the sickening "passion play" thing they put on for the kids to further their early indoctrination was also pretty damning and will definitely also lead to more guys becoming like the one the VICE lady had to chat with. I mean, the stakes as far as how different that country might well be at the present had these absolutely evil fundamentalist nutters from the states not managed to get their "missionary" foots in the door...

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Like, I KNOW they promise anonymity and stuff for very good reasons, so that they can get a clear journalistic view of what is actually happening, and in this case, it wouldn't have mattered because even if that guy had walked into a court and said "I raped some lesbian" it wouldn't even have mattered. I just felt like a crazy BIG EYES painting watching the Vice lady have to sit there smoking until she could just causally walk away from the PROUD RAPISTS and guys yelling "yeah a gay guy? I'd just kill him KILL HIM HAHAHAHAHAHA".

And those plays you talked about were crazy! They just showed a bunch of kids that aren't even old enough to get horny yet, that gay men will rape them and their asses will bleed and they'll get aids. They even had dirty diaper props. That whole segment was insane.

I don't get "moved" my journalism all that much, but for those 5 seconds I was scared as poo poo for that Vice lady keeping her face straight and playing along when every cell in her body was probably like "HOLY poo poo RUN AWAY"

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, I'd imagine those plays have their roots in the whole Hell House crapshoot here in the states---though likely far more graphic in some respects given their...community freedom in Uganda to apparently do and make up any number of things to frame the issue. It took a particular kind of upbringing and influential $$$ to even get those "actors" as people that exist and were willing to engage in that while being entirely assured of themselves. They've Otherized gay/lesbian/etc folk to the point of being literal monsters for practical purposes---which pretty much means any pretense of rules and decorum of being fellow travelers is voided.

The old refrain is that Somalia is Libertarian Paradise but Uganda is almost certainly actually trending that way for christian fundamentalists of the most vile and backwards sort. Of course, it isn't like the "missionary" fundies actually originally reckoned the Ugandans as real people either---they are nothing more than tools or a bit better than trained animals to further their ideals and bidding while keeping the cash flowing through the same corrupted system. There really needs to be something done about their "friends" high up in the US government that are getting in on all this power fantasy leveraging---the damage happening to that country is getting catastrophically generational at this point unless the crazies can somehow be routed.

If there was some relevant award in Journalism for prevailing in a situation like that in terms of confronting beyond even most fictional cartoon sheer villainy, said VICE journo gal would have to be towards the top of the short list

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_28237398/late-night-tv-vet-bill-maher-forges-ahead?source=rss

The show returns tonight. I'm curious if Bill will mention the Hastert debacle.

I had to listen to years of pious, sanctimonious crap from Hastert (and his followers) about how this guy was the greatest politician to come out of IL since Lincoln himself. It only got worse when he became speaker of the house and one of Bush's personal toadies:

Now he's just another insane child molesting/pedophile politician and up there with the worst of the worst:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I always forget what a gross, toad-like gently caress he is. Republicans really have a monopoly on grotesque human beings. Mitch McConnell especially.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

The show returns tonight. I'm curious if Bill will mention the Hastert debacle.

Of course he will; that plus Fox et. al. defending whichever Duggar it is that raped his sisters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Are we at the point where we're taking bets on how long it's gonna be before Bill finally cracks and just starts dropping career-endingly racist statements about Muslims in his interviews or panels yet?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Are we at the point where we're taking bets on how long it's gonna be before Bill finally cracks and just starts dropping career-endingly racist statements about Muslims in his interviews or panels yet?

He's probably feeling the pressure from John Oliver, seeing as Oliver's new, younger, and has...what's that word for the two things Bill hasn't had *ever* when he's sober...oh yeah, charisma and likeability.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nine-gear crow posted:

He did say that Muslims are responsible for more terrorism tonight, but he's been saying that for years and welp.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

comes along bort posted:

He did say that Muslims are responsible for more terrorism tonight, but he's been saying that for years and welp.

Is that false? Because while I haven't watched the episode for full context, that statement alone is pretty true.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Nah Latin America accounts for more terrorist activity if you go by casualties. In fact the whole drug war is a huge blind spot of his.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 6, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Nah Latin America accounts for more terrorist activity if you go by casualties. In fact the whole drug war is a huge blind spot of his.

Not really. He talks about what a failure it is all the time, which roughly translates to "if we legalize drugs the poo poo from Central and South America will drive the price of the legal poo poo down."

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Main thing from this week was the terrible panelists that only had slightly OK moments in OT----really rough start after the touring break. Be it Patriot Act Support nonsense, that Mudd guy that bombed out hard seemingly within seconds of starting the interview, China/Russia fear mongering, Economic Fantasy land....even Lewis Black couldn't do much to get a spark in there.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That Mudd guy came across as a real TSA apologist. There's no good way to spin a 95% failure rate. That number is so high you'd think the bad guys were just ambivalent about doing their job.

nine-gear crow posted:

What would be a career-ending racist statement? The last time he got in big trouble was when he said:

“We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That’s cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it’s not cowardly.”

https://youtu.be/n_Iasxk4of4?t=8s

Maher right now seems pretty safe and entrenched as a mouthpiece for the D machine (Hillary 2016 etc.) so I think he's safe for now. Also, he gave 1 million USD to Obama. Come to think of it that seems paltry considering Hastert donated at least 1.7 million to one of his sex offendees. How did that knucklehead even get all that money? That buffoon should be tarred and feathered at the next SOTU.

With the economic policies of these two dastardly political parties and the clear amount of sordid sex scandals being kept under wraps while austerity is going full blast and these disgusting pedophiles running the country are paying millions in hush money and starting more wars and decreasing the taxes on the rich every four years...well, I'll just say it's a shame there isn't a poll option to give the heave-ho to every...single...DC...politician and start with a clean slate.

Super Deuce posted:

Is that false? Because while I haven't watched the episode for full context, that statement alone is pretty true.

Probably true by the way the US/media generally classifies it. With a question like that it's really hard to quantify a clear-cut answer on a global level (or anything really). After 9/11 Islam was destined to be under the microscope for probably a few generations at least anyway.

The US is probably the #1 purveyor of counterterrorism (by their definitions).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zogo posted:

That Mudd guy came across as a real TSA apologist. There's no good way to spin a 95% failure rate. That number is so high you'd think the bad guys were just ambivalent about doing their job.

Unless someone whose opinion matters cares to just come out and admit that the TSA is really just security theater, that 5% seems pretty good in that context. Dumbasses think it and a litany of other post-911 retarded horseshit is making them safer by a lot more than 5%.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IRQ posted:

Unless someone whose opinion matters cares to just come out and admit that the TSA is really just security theater, that 5% seems pretty good in that context. Dumbasses think it and a litany of other post-911 retarded horseshit is making them safer by a lot more than 5%.

Heh. In the context that the TSA is merely a placebo are you saying that anything short of 100% failure is good?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Mio dio, special (special) guests Ron Christie and Alexis Goldstein tonight. Let the :munch: :downsbravo: commence.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Ooh Ron Christie, wonder what that dude's been up to. He's always good for a laugh when he gets hyper offended and bitchy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zogo posted:

Heh. In the context that the TSA is merely a placebo are you saying that anything short of 100% failure is good?

Basically it's like that rock on the simpsons that keeps tigers away, if the rock has a non-zero success rate when confronted with an actual tiger situation, it's doing better than expected.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Just a basic comment about the show in general...

Does anyone else think that between the pre interview, Bill's increasingly long point making, the joke/comedy segment, the special guest, and the final thought, the three panelists barely get a word in anymore?

Some episodes are worst then others in this regard, and sometimes I actually don't want to hear them talk :lol: but the three guests seem to keep getting increasingly less air time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Ooh Ron Christie, wonder what that dude's been up to. He's always good for a laugh when he gets hyper offended and bitchy.

He usually puts in a weekly appearance on Hardball to get tweaked by Chairs Mathews and co. on various issues. He is never not petulant and bitchy. He's the anti-Michael Steele.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DoggPickle posted:

Just a basic comment about the show in general...

Does anyone else think that between the pre interview, Bill's increasingly long point making, the joke/comedy segment, the special guest, and the final thought, the three panelists barely get a word in anymore?

It all depends on the group dynamic and the hot topics of the week. You have five people there and some of the special guests are nervous greenhorns with little TV experience and other times you have a living legend. That seems to be the way things sway between Bill and special guest vs. the three others.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DoggPickle posted:

Some episodes are worst then others in this regard, and sometimes I actually don't want to hear them talk :lol: but the three guests seem to keep getting increasingly less air time.

The mid-panel photoshop gag segment cuts into it as well.

nine-gear crow posted:

He usually puts in a weekly appearance on Hardball to get tweaked by Chairs Mathews and co. on various issues. He is never not petulant and bitchy. He's the anti-Michael Steele.

Yeah that's why he's consistently entertaining; he seems to take everything personally. It's like c'mon dude cable news is the pro wrestling of politics.

e: and on that note he actually claimed ISIS has the ability to make a dirty bomb they can detonate in America.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 13, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

comes along bort posted:

e: and on that note he actually claimed ISIS has the ability to make a dirty bomb they can detonate in America.

If someone were going to detonate a dirty bomb they don't have to smuggle in poo poo from the Middle East. Tons of places in Mexico, Central, and South America still use older-model medical imaging equipment (or have junkyards where they were dumped) that houses all sorts of nasty gamma emitters. The poo poo they need is already on the continent.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 13, 2015

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There were some laughs in OT and the mid-show erotica segment though---that helped out with Christie being a living joke that isn't funny at all.

More terrifying: For some reason, next week he has on Bernie Sanders and Ann Coulter---though I couldn't tell if that was full-on panel or not...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

There were some laughs in OT and the mid-show erotica segment though---that helped out with Christie being a living joke that isn't funny at all.

More terrifying: For some reason, next week he has on Bernie Sanders and Ann Coulter---though I couldn't tell if that was full-on panel or not...

Ann's never done a full panel appearance in years. She's got a new book out that she's gotta plug, so I bet she'll either show up for the pre-panel interview or the mid-panel one where everyone shuts up and lets her fillibuster and maybe faces like two minutes of actual debate at the very end of the panel and then bouncing before Overtime.

It's what she did last time.

Bill's too nepotistic towards her to actually subject her to any real opposition, despite how much her flaming out when confronted by anyone with half a brain and a full spine makes for great TV.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ugh, I like Bill Maher but it seems he's kinda getting a tad dumber as the years go by. He's become way more Islamophobic than usual (supporting racial profiling? Really, BIll?) and on OT yesterday he actually started using dumbass Republican talking points like "borrowing money from China".

nine-gear crow posted:

Ann's never done a full panel appearance in years.

Isn't that also cause she hasn't appeared on the show at all in years? Last time she was there, it didn't go well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1523WCarLf8

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

Isn't that also cause she hasn't appeared on the show at all in years? Last time she was there, it didn't go well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1523WCarLf8

He definitely had her on last year to plug whatever stupid book she had out, but it was in the first slot where the only person she would have to talk to was Bill so it was mostly just the two of them eyefucking each other.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Slightly Toasted posted:

He definitely had her on last year to plug whatever stupid book she had out, but it was in the first slot where the only person she would have to talk to was Bill so it was mostly just the two of them eyefucking each other.

Then she got up and bolted as the camera was trucking towards the panel table (drat near got clocked in the head by it, iirc) and didn't show up for Overtime.

She could not get out of there fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Looking forward to Bernie Sanders going on next week. :bernget: