Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I like how that 16 year old kid demonstrated exactly the thing that is the problem, gets called on it, and basically says "nah brah let me finish" and then says more bullshit rehearsed emotionally rousing speech. I'm glad Bill was kind of holding his feet to the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What the hell was I supposed to take away from that kids lovely interview?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I...guess the overarching point was something along the lines of needing to explicitly see more young adults actively taking the reins on stuff as the feeling otherwise is that we'll all be too late and/or dead if we wait until such chomping at the bit folks reach the usual senior demographic positions as per the pecking order up to now especially when it comes to climate change doom and woe? If nothing else, the interview served as a good window into how thoroughly spooked The Youth Maher always rails against are by their prospects in the world to come that the boomers and such have wrought.

Definitely a very different sort of guest for Maher's show---which is good though on top of amusing as he was indeed the youngest person to do the show by far.

Somehow doubt their lawsuit will go anywhere aside from the publicity for a bit though---whole thing probably could've done with a pivot to Flint and such in terms of the current state of governmental responsibilities vs the public good...

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

zVxTeflon posted:

I think you were supposed to join Team Jacob.

EDIT - The Bernie stuff in OT was not only factually wrong, but also really stupid.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 25, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ApexAftermath posted:

I like how that 16 year old kid demonstrated exactly the thing that is the problem, gets called on it, and basically says "nah brah let me finish" and then says more bullshit rehearsed emotionally rousing speech. I'm glad Bill was kind of holding his feet to the fire.

Much as I'd like to agree with you about a kid whose gonna get more scootch than you or I at any age, he did just fine in the interview, and pretty darn good in Overtime. Was he scrambling, was he bullet point making, yep. But still not bad.

Until his sex scandal at 23.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zVxTeflon posted:

He's gonna sell out pretty hard as a marketing director or DC lobbyist in about 10 years.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What makes Maher an Islamaphobe? He's one of the few outspoken critics of Islam that doesn't support bans or deportations, he has Muslim panelists on his show to get their views and finds common ground and isn't afraid to say his controversial views face to face, and hes open to being inclusionary and having the community be portrayed accurately to get to the root of the issues. I'm not really seeing hateful or disparaging intentions.

What is the problem with that? I keep seeing accusations in this thread. Is it just sterotypical pc butthurt language police hugbox poo poo? Or something else I'm missing?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ausmund posted:

What makes Maher an Islamaphobe? He's one of the few outspoken critics of Islam that doesn't support bans or deportations, he has Muslim panelists on his show to get their views and finds common ground and isn't afraid to say his controversial views face to face, and hes open to being inclusionary and having the community be portrayed accurately to get to the root of the issues. I'm not really seeing hateful or disparaging intentions.

What is the problem with that? I keep seeing accusations in this thread. Is it just sterotypical pc butthurt language police hugbox poo poo? Or something else I'm missing?

He's right and that scares the PC crowd

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Islamophobe is just a term coined by the minority-suckling left (of which I'm one, just not on the issue of Islam since it's THE MAJORITY RELIGION ON THE PLANET, OPPRESSES WOMEN, AND IS INTOLERANT OF ACTUAL MINORITIES LIKE ATHEISTS) to discredit critics of Islam, of which literally every single Western-raised person should be a part.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Apoplexy posted:

Islamophobe is just a term coined by the minority-suckling left (of which I'm one, just not on the issue of Islam since it's THE MAJORITY RELIGION ON THE PLANET

there's over half a billion more christians than muslims

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I thought Islam, undifferentiated, was more populous than Catholicism or Protestantism individually.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is but it's dumb to lump together every Islamic sect but consider Christian ones as different things. Especially considering that Wahabis are the main problem in Islam.

What is correct is Sunni Islam is probably the world's largest religious sect, with Roman Catholics a close second. There's some dispute about what exactly constitutes Sunni so the estimates of how many are members varies, from what I can find. Roman Catholics are easier to pin down since there's a whole central organization thing.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Gary Johnson never ceases to bungle his TV appearances---though I guess this went better than the last time he was on Zakkaria's show and tried for a closing masterstroke about how it is peak insanity to grant covered electricity to the native reservations.

The British Brexit Gal was unhinged as all get out---that vacant, yet animated, look in the eyes when she was going on and on about it was just nuts.

Unfortunate that there's no show next week and VICE is somehow done with the season despite them having supposed to have secured much more/often with HBO---doubly worse that the show will be returning with SE Cupp and freaking Luntz.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You'd think they could've spared John Oliver for an evening to talk about the brexit vote instead of settling for Metallica's manager's (kinda) trophy wife.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Good New Rules.

Though to be fair California is just one example.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

There was some loud woman obnoxiously laughing through the whole show last night. I wish I could've muted the crowd.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zogo posted:

There was some loud woman obnoxiously laughing through the whole show last night. I wish I could've muted the crowd.

They should seriously throw those people out.

It's free tickets anyway right? Even if not, gently caress them.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

At that level of obnoxiousness, I can't even tell what's being heckled.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Thinking back on past appearances, if/when it gets even worse on this Brexit mess---they HAVE to try to get Cleese back on again.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Space Fish posted:

At that level of obnoxiousness, I can't even tell what's being heckled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF4T9TSwxAo

"You probably shouldn't laugh anymore."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Zogo posted:

Came to this thread to complain about her, and a few weeks ago there was a man who was an obnoxious laugher. I wonder of these people ever realize that they do it or if other people in the audience complain. You can tell that it throws off Bill during the monologue too. She laughed at lines that weren't even jokes.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cacator posted:

Came to this thread to complain about her, and a few weeks ago there was a man who was an obnoxious laugher. I wonder of these people ever realize that they do it or if other people in the audience complain. You can tell that it throws off Bill during the monologue too. She laughed at lines that weren't even jokes.

I was close to turning my acoustic amplifier on and messing with the equalizer settings until I got that laughing squelched.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Cacator posted:

If you watch Jim Gaffigan's face, it clearly gets to him too.
The laughter was conspicuously absent during overtime. I doubt she left, so someone had to have said something.
As I think someone mentioned, it was near heckling it was so constant and misplaced.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Most likely it's just someone who wound up seated right below a crowd mic.

Dunno if they have anyone do warmup before the show but they could easily find out if anyone with an obnoxious laugh needs to be moved before the show starts.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
One of the universe's greater mysteries is how Frank Luntz has made it 54 years on this planet without having his skull caved in.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
See also: Racist scumbag Grover Norquist has a PALESTINIAN wife. Talk about a self-loathing loving oval office. ALTHOUGH... Grover did say that TAXATION IS THE MORAL EQUIVALENT OF THE HOLOCAUST once, which is probably pretty awful to Jews!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I kind of like seeing him on shows because he's so open about being a huge piece of poo poo. He has no pretense at all about what he does. It's a lot more interesting than all the equally awful people pretending like they have some noble purpose. Frank Luntz is just right out there about having no morality or decency. And what he does is terrible but you can't deny he's really good at it, and the fact that he's willing to talk about it and explain how he does it is fascinating to me.

I'd much rather have him on these shows than Generic Republican 34 parroting the same talking points (which Luntz probably helped come up with anyway).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

I kind of like seeing him on shows because he's so open about being a huge piece of poo poo. He has no pretense at all about what he does. It's a lot more interesting than all the equally awful people pretending like they have some noble purpose. Frank Luntz is just right out there about having no morality or decency. And what he does is terrible but you can't deny he's really good at it, and the fact that he's willing to talk about it and explain how he does it is fascinating to me.

I'd much rather have him on these shows than Generic Republican 34 parroting the same talking points (which Luntz probably helped come up with anyway).

Agreed on all points.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Grand Fromage posted:

And what he does is terrible but you can't deny he's really good at it, and the fact that he's willing to talk about it and explain how he does it is fascinating to me.

That's the thing; he was good at it, but he's increasingly out of the loop as far as what drives the base. Hence his frustration with Trump going back to last year, who performs his job on a whole other level.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I never would've imagined I'd see the opening interview bomb out into a smoking crater almost instantly---especially over some baffling/idiotic shoes!

Even on OT, that was super short and saw him just beside himself---SE Cupp had the easiest ride following Luntz.

It looks like the special episodes for the conventions are only going to be half hour jaunts though if I've read it right? Disappointing, but I can somewhat understand given the live nature of the show and all.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
The Earth can be a crazy, lovely place.

So people can expect things to get worse.

I say this because I'm not sure I remember people being so openly disgusting in their views during my lifetime. Well, legitimate public figures anyway. This new wave of politics seems to be gaining traction too, though that can just be alarmism on my part.

I've been hearing about future political unrest being tied to climate change for years, and it seems that's what's happening. If that's the case, it's only going to get worse. If we're going to see the level of water rise noticeably in the next 20 years, then we're going to see more mass migration and the reactionary isolationism that will rise against the forced merging of cultures. Let them pile their bodies at the gates, we don't have to help.

Bill said it recently, was it this episode or the last? The American right wing should punt, and it looks like the Trump candidacy is poised to do just that. So maybe we won't have president Orangutan jr. What we will have is a rise in the xenophobia that he clearly represents.

Here's to the outing of more bad ideas. At least this is creating an air of acceptability, letting people expose their cloistered selfishness.

In the meantime, I can try to keep my eye from twitching every time there's some new rear end in a top hat on the show. I'll just go listen to some System of Down in the meantime. Play a nice violent video game, try to remember that the people on TV are not real, and MSNBC gives Trump more airtime than any network.

None of this is new, and change is only going one way for now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You were so close then you gave it away with system of a down.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

zVxTeflon posted:

You were so close then you gave it away with system of a down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17z9Zcka11o

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Most importantly, who let Bill on with his tie tied so poorly?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Viggo Mortensen 2016

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Did anyone understand why Bill told that guy "THIS IS A LIVE SHOW" at the beginning? I couldn't hear anything beyond normal laughing.

EDIT: Also the answer Bill should have given to the question Luntz kept asking was "yes we might line up on some thing, but I don't agree with ANY of the solutions your side would bring to those problems." Republicans who say "oh yeah Bernie has got it right" are just disingenuous shitbags who would just make things hellish levels of worse if they had the reigns.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 20, 2016

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus
Is Luntz lining up for a run for office or something? Sounded like a candidate speaking in platitudes. Or maybe he is just coming up blank on defending his party's nominee.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

libertao posted:

Is Luntz lining up for a run for office or something? Sounded like a candidate speaking in platitudes. Or maybe he is just coming up blank on defending his party's nominee.
He's been staring into the abyss for far too long. It would be shocking if he was able to fake normal conversational patterns still.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Solvent posted:

The Earth can be a crazy, lovely place.

So people can expect things to get worse.

I say this because I'm not sure I remember people being so openly disgusting in their views during my lifetime. Well, legitimate public figures anyway. This new wave of politics seems to be gaining traction too, though that can just be alarmism on my part.

I've been hearing about future political unrest being tied to climate change for years, and it seems that's what's happening. If that's the case, it's only going to get worse. If we're going to see the level of water rise noticeably in the next 20 years, then we're going to see more mass migration and the reactionary isolationism that will rise against the forced merging of cultures. Let them pile their bodies at the gates, we don't have to help.

Bill said it recently, was it this episode or the last? The American right wing should punt, and it looks like the Trump candidacy is poised to do just that. So maybe we won't have president Orangutan jr. What we will have is a rise in the xenophobia that he clearly represents.

Here's to the outing of more bad ideas. At least this is creating an air of acceptability, letting people expose their cloistered selfishness.

In the meantime, I can try to keep my eye from twitching every time there's some new rear end in a top hat on the show. I'll just go listen to some System of Down in the meantime. Play a nice violent video game, try to remember that the people on TV are not real, and MSNBC gives Trump more airtime than any network.

None of this is new, and change is only going one way for now.

While this is a facetious post, there is a fair amount of truth to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ApexAftermath posted:

Did anyone understand why Bill told that guy "THIS IS A LIVE SHOW" at the beginning? I couldn't hear anything beyond normal laughing.
Maher was on Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee show and Seinfeld basically said, "Your show doesn't need to be live," and Bill got a little salty about it. I guess it's a big deal to him that the show is live.