Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I've never seen Reiner so clearly tempted at times to clock a dude in the face with his giant hands. Good old wild-eyed cognitive dissonance out in force tonight sucking all the energy out of the room.

Never seen Maher so cowed, by Trump in this case, that he'd throw out everything and everyone in the spirit of getting in line---and here I thought the Assange interview would've been the most awkward part of the show! Hell, he actually needs a month off at this point if his tank on bravado is running this dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

That whole episode was precious

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Yesterday's episode still isn't on HBO Now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
lovely New Rules segment.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The more interesting guest was the never Trump lady in the middle careening back and forth between her latest pundit niche and reflexively defending conservative orthodoxy.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

comes along bort posted:

The more interesting guest was the never Trump lady in the middle careening back and forth between her latest pundit niche and reflexively defending conservative orthodoxy.

It's not their lovely platform but the candidate, duh!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I keep hearing Trump say the Bible is his #1 book. I've also heard dozens of his speeches but not one iota of what he says corroborates his #1 book...except maybe if he's doing an impersonation of some corrupt king in ancient Babylon or something. He sues people right and left.

OTOH, the Democrats keep talking from a position as if the Rs are the only ones that have hate. Liberals have hate too. The Ds are also playing the politics of fear. Do people really believe Trump will start lobbing nukes at people because he likes to insult people on twitter?

Well, if Hillary wins I look forward to Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders squaring off in 2024.

EugeneJ posted:

I haven't been watching - has Bill even mentioned the Wikileaks releases, or is he in full DNC shill mode?

Before yesterday that didn't exist and if it does Wikileaks = terrorist or something. Eat your Filet-O-Fish sandwich!

I thought Maher said the RNC was going to be a mess. He must've meant the DNC. Bill Clinton should've played the saxophone. Maher also said the DNC had higher ratings (I think that's false).

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it wrong for me to dislike Barney Frank? Duder initially comes off as part of America's "left figures" like Warren, Sanders, and Stein. However, he is anti-transparency, hates left leaning groups, and venomously hates anyone who wants to shake up the system.

He just comes across as a staunch D party guy to me. Never concedes one single thing about the R people and is always getting hyperbolic about the enemy. IIRC he called Scalia the most homophobic justice in US history. It's reminiscent of Newsom saying Pence was the most antigay VP candidate in American history a few weeks back.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

OTOH, the Democrats keep talking from a position as if the Rs are the only ones that have hate. Liberals have hate too. The Ds are also playing the politics of fear. Do people really believe Trump will start lobbing nukes at people because he likes to insult people on twitter?

It was overshadowed by the Khan pissing match story, but Morning Joe on Wednesday claimed a few months back Trump repeatedly asked one of his foreign policy advisers why we couldn't just use nukes since we have them. That's why it's a thing all of a sudden.

quote:

I thought Maher said the RNC was going to be a mess. He must've meant the DNC. Bill Clinton should've played the saxophone. Maher also said the DNC had higher ratings (I think that's false).

The DNC had higher ratings overall except for Hillary's acceptance speech which had about 1.5 million fewer viewers than Trump's.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Slightly Toasted posted:

That whole episode was precious

:agreed:

I keep saying that Bill's a second rate comedian, and grade A rear end in a top hat, but his guests are truly amazing.

I was honestly surprised that I found myself agreeing with Rick Santorum about anything ever, but the new republican talking points are getting very good despite proposing absolutely no form of solution outside of an orange lunatic. I mean, as a Bernie supporter I most certainly do agree that the two major party candidates this cycle are more of the same bullshit, but how can you say that, and and even tacitly support Trump without swallowing a heaping spoonful of it?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Me agreeing with Rick Santorum's positions over Rob Reiner was something I never thought possible.

Thank you Bill Maher.

When this show comes back on the air, I will no longer count myself as a viewer. For years I used to tune in for my weekly political outrage dose and generally learn something in the process but the discourse the past year or so has just gotten too stupid, too basic. When Assange came on this episode and pointed out Maher's Clinton donation, I clapped and was tempted to end episode right then and there.

The strings behind the show are just becoming way too obvious.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Me agreeing with Rick Santorum's positions over Rob Reiner was something I never thought possible.

Thank you Bill Maher.

When this show comes back on the air, I will no longer count myself as a viewer. For years I used to tune in for my weekly political outrage dose and generally learn something in the process but the discourse the past year or so has just gotten too stupid, too basic. When Assange came on this episode and pointed out Maher's Clinton donation, I clapped and was tempted to end episode right then and there.

Rob Reiner has been inside of Hillary Clinton's rear end for so long that I don't think it matters what is real to him anymore.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Finally caught up. Cornel West should've just spoken at the RNC and DNC. Way more entertaining on Real Time compared to The Matrix films.

Maher cracking jokes about all the deaths associated with the Clinton's over the years was kind of odd. Especially when these peculiar deaths keep happening.

comes along bort posted:

It was overshadowed by the Khan pissing match story, but Morning Joe on Wednesday claimed a few months back Trump repeatedly asked one of his foreign policy advisers why we couldn't just use nukes since we have them. That's why it's a thing all of a sudden.

Do you think he'd start launching them? I'm kind of skeptical and it reeks of really hyperbolic politics of FEAR.

Super Deuce posted:

I've yet to be watch tonight's, but man am I tired of Bill being such an obtuse shill for Hillary.

Ultimately it feels like that's why he's on the air. He's not on TV to engender conservative thought or grow the R party. Weiner is frequently on and you don't get much higher and closer to HRC than that. Still puzzling that Obama won't come on. Perhaps it's personal.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I have a feeling the show will improve and the strings go back into hiding once the election is over. The partisanry is at a 10 out of 10 right now. And a lot of nevertrump people are like those end times people wearing sandwich boards in big cities.

Donald Trump would be the last US president etc.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zogo posted:

Still puzzling that Obama won't come on. Perhaps it's personal.

DNC probably told Bill "If Hillary gets elected, we'll get Obama on your show - so start kissing rear end and say what we tell you"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

Do you think he'd start launching them? I'm kind of skeptical and it reeks of really hyperbolic politics of FEAR.

I don't think it's a question worth seriously asking. If anything he'd pawn that duty off on Pence or whoever like everything else that isn't gladhanding and flying around to meetings and rallies.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

lol if you think the people controlling nukes are actually gonna launch them just because President Apprentice up and decides he wants to.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would hope not but there's actually very little oversight in the use of nuclear weapons. The system is designed for rapid deployment because depending on the type of attack, the president might have between five and ten minutes to decide whether and how to retaliate. There aren't really any checks in place from the presidential decision.

That said the people implementing the order could refuse, which I guess is treason or mutiny but one hopes that's what they would do.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im sure the dude holding the nuclear football is allowed some sort of discretion or orders and isnt just told to sit there and let the President open poo poo up and start spouting codes for no reason. And hes only there when the Pres is traveling hes not up his rear end 24/7. If trumps just chilling at the white house he cant just randomly ring up a bunker and order North Korea obliterated without at least someone going "uhh what the gently caress are you doing?"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You'd think but unless everything I've read is wrong, there's literally no one in the chain of command legally allowed to stop the president from using nuclear weapons. The safety check for nukes is having a president who isn't nuts.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

godspeed to all of us then

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I read somewhere that there was originally a suggestion for the launch codes to be surgically implanted in someone's chest so the only way to authorise a strike would be for the President to murder the person and cut then open. Not sure that would be a problem for Trump though

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Grand Fromage posted:

I would hope not but there's actually very little oversight in the use of nuclear weapons. The system is designed for rapid deployment because depending on the type of attack, the president might have between five and ten minutes to decide whether and how to retaliate. There aren't really any checks in place from the presidential decision.

That said the people implementing the order could refuse, which I guess is treason or mutiny but one hopes that's what they would do.

Someone else read Command And Control too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Someone else read Command And Control too.

I actually haven't yet but it's on my stack.

If I remember right there was a point during the Nixon administration where there was discussion of giving him incorrect codes or something because they were afraid he was becoming unhinged and might start a nuclear war.

E:

quote:

James Schlesinger, secretary of defense at that time, No. 2 in the nuclear chain of command, was reported to be so concerned about Nixon's behavior that he sent word down the chain of command that if anyone received any "unusual orders" from the president they should double-check with him before carrying them out.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_spectator/2011/02/an_unsung_hero_of_the_nuclear_age.html

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 8, 2016

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
The closest thing I could think of actually took place in the USSR.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

That was an error, not a directive to fire from a living, screaming, insane person who could just keep calling for launches until any objector was circumvented.

The MAD doctrine is a big deal, and kept the Cold War cold.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction

If Trump made the decision to lob nukes, the world would likely end.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Solvent posted:

The closest thing I could think of actually took place in the USSR.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

That was an error, not a directive to fire from a living, screaming, insane person who could just keep calling for launches until any objector was circumvented.

The MAD doctrine is a big deal, and kept the Cold War cold.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction

If Trump made the decision to lob nukes, the world would likely end.

...you DO know there are 50-ish more events on the scale of the Petrov incident (that we know of)? The MAD doctrine is insane/calculated insanity as Herman Kahn put it. Again, Command & Control is a bloody exceptional book. Start there.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

...you DO know there are 50-ish more events on the scale of the Petrov incident (that we know of)? The MAD doctrine is insane/calculated insanity as Herman Kahn put it. Again, Command & Control is a bloody exceptional book. Start there.

For some reason, I don't feel the need to fact check any of your statements.

MAD seems like a Mexican Standoff on a global scale.

That can't be a good thing.

This article was also an episode of Vice that was was p. good:

https://news.vice.com/article/us-air-force-minuteman-icbm-americas-aging-nuclear-arsenal

This is just neat. Starting in 1956 it almost starts to sound musical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=856fWEltiXo

I'd be happy enough with a sane president, but hey, nuclear disarmament would be nice too.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Thank you Bill Maher.

Whoa there, kimosabe. What did Santorum say that was so insightful?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bill Maher Jokes About Hinckley Assassinating Trump Since Polls Are Tight:
http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tim-graham/2016/09/11/bill-maher-jokes-about-hinckley-assassinating-trump-polls-are-tight

Real Time returns this Friday night.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Bill's getting railroaded pretty bad by two separate BS artists.

Guess the polls have spooked him something fierce.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Both sides have gone full 100% chicken little. Posturing like the country will cease to exist if Trump/Clinton are elected.

It amazes me how liberals/progressives come on the show weekly and say Republicans/conservatives/Trump are playing the politics of fear and then without missing a beat launch into some notion about Trump ending the world with nukes or starting a civil war 2.0 in the US.

Today's harbinger was Adam Gopnik who claims "Trump will bring us back to 1860." :laffo:

William F Cuckley posted:

Bill's getting railroaded pretty bad by two separate BS artists.

Guess the polls have spooked him something fierce.

He was blinded by Ralph Reed's veneers.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I will be voting for Hillary this election, but Kerry Washington is annoying as gently caress.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Kinda meh episode. Same ol shtick.

I wonder if the whole Obama isn't a Kenyan thing was planned because his campaign manager was gonna do Real Time that night.

Funny story, I was sitting around on campus in the student lounge Friday, talking with a rep from the honor society, and she started talking about her logic class. She whips out her phone as we're talking and she starts playing the Bill Maher Ralph Reed interview from last season. Says she's gonna do a paper examining the arguments on both sides. Suddenly the student council president comes over and tells us that this is a safe space, and we shouldn't be watching this here.

"Safe from critical thinking" :smug:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
To be fair if you're looking for critical thought from either Ralph Reed or Bill Maher you're barking up the wrong tree.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Man, lackluster panel and VICE didn't even come back either despite that supposed big boost they got by the network this year? Come on HBO, kick off this new season right!

I think next week's panel seemed a bit stacked similar to this one to boot. Though I imagine Maher will be in full blown sky is falling mode depending on exactly what goes down the next few days with this explosion mess up north of late since anything along those lines has been his tortured prophecy for ages now this election.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

To be fair if you're looking for critical thought from either Ralph Reed or Bill Maher you're barking up the wrong tree.

Oh no argument there.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Come on HBO, kick off this new season right!

This is still season 14. Only seven more shows until the election and Trump saves America/blows up the planet.*

Or HRC wins and does something good/bad.*

*depending on who you ask.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Bill's last new rule this week could have been okay if he left it broad and not specifically something he doesn't understand at all.

Also, the lack of understanding the entire panel had for the Republican dude voting third party pisses me off with every new show this cycle.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah that exchange between him and Mel Brooks' kid was stupid. Who cares if he's not voting for Clinton; they should be happy he's not voting for Trump.

Plus he's registered in California so it's not like it matters anyway.

Also Neera Tanden's a piece of poo poo who's basically on the same side as Trump regarding how to pay for foreign wars.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah that exchange between him and Mel Brooks' kid was stupid. Who cares if he's not voting for Clinton; they should be happy he's not voting for Trump.

A lot of people in the Democratic establishment camp don't believe they have to earn people's votes. If they dislike Trump then they HAVE to vote for Clinton as that is the only realistic option that helps Trump not get into office.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
An endless parade of piercing laughter---but next week's panel is stacked for better times from the look of it.

Also looks like VICE's generally nightly(weekdays only IIRC?) newscast on HBO will be starting on Oct 10, so that somewhat lifts the rage at lack of post-Real Time worthwhile intrigue not hurrying up and getting more consistently there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

A lot of people in the Democratic establishment camp don't believe they have to earn people's votes. If they dislike Trump then they HAVE to vote for Clinton as that is the only realistic option that helps Trump not get into office.

I don't think it's that so much as for some dumb reason they still think they need the votes of people they really shouldn't bother with persuading.