Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
New item for my bucket list: punch Steve Moore in the face. God, I can't stand that talking-point spouting douchebag...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

bronin posted:

I've never seen this guy before, but oh my god what a loving tool. While you punch him in his stupid face let me kick him in the balls.

He's actually been on Real Time quite a few times and every single time, he is this big of a dick.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

God, Kingston is a loving moron.

And props to Hughley for saying:"You're making me feel good about my GED." Although, following it up by saying you don't believes in evolution puts him squarely in the moron camp with Kingston.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Komojo posted:

Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing to watch. It's okay, though. Next week he's going to make up for it by having Neil deGrasse Tyson on the show. :dance:

Tyson is great! I hope he's actually on the panel.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

God, I really can't stand Huffington (even though I think the website is a pretty good news aggregator).

And yes, West is a warrior poet!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Radio Nowhere posted:

Cornel West makes any show better! If there's one thing I can thank Maher for it's introducing me to him. Also a decade after it even matters I'm starting to like Matthew Perry.

I was thinking the same thing about Perry. He was way funnier than he ever was on Friends. I'm almost tempted to give his new show a try...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Lil PP posted:

So, was anyone else distracted by Norah O'Donnell's laugh during New Rules? Probably funnier than the segment itself.

Yeah, she was really screeching during this episode.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Taibbi is on this week, yay! I just hope he's finally on the panel for once, instead of coming on halfway through the show.

Just bought Griftopia, will have to make sure I finish it before I watch the show this week.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 17, 2011

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

God, I felt like punching that oval office from CNBC in the face the entire episode. Blatantly shilling for the richest douchebags out there, and saying the only alternative is communism. :bang:

I really wish Taibbi would get on the panel sometime, instead of being a stand-alone guest...

richardfun fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 19, 2011

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

TLG James posted:

She's even worse on overtime... Ugh

Time for me to head over to the Real Time website for some more cringing then.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

RevBabyKiller posted:

The 4th panel member pop-in is the worst part of the show. Sometimes the one-on-one interviews are pretty sketchy but there's a fairly good success/failure ratio. The 4th panel member has worked out once in recent memory with Colbert's Physicist buddy. The rest of the time it ranges from mediocre but pointless (Friends guy) to weak and detrimental like Kevin Smith or Martin Short. They've got nothing useful to say and seem to amuse Maher more than the audience. It breaks up the flow of the panel worse than the prop segment and sometimes the show just does not recover from the loss of momentum

Maher must've been baked out of his mind when he asked Kevin Smith to come on this week. Jesus christ, that guy is a complete waste of time and space on the show...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Taibbi has a new article online, enticingly titled Why isn't Wall Street in jail. If you're a bit of a masochist like me, and like feeling like your head is about to explode, I highly recommend it.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

IRQ posted:

My god new rules was awful. Kevin Smith was awful. And that CNBC bitch was so awful I want to drill a hole in her head and shove an immersion blender in there - it might make her think better.

Even Bill was pretty horrible with his rant about muslims. :ughh:

Taibbi was pretty much this episode's saving grace. I still want to see him on the panel sometime though. He would've been great as a counter to that Randian mong from CNBC.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I just watched The Inside Job. I've read quite a bit on the financial crisis in the last two years but this movie perfectly illuminates the causes of the financial crisis, and identifies the coke-fueled assholes responsible. It's educational, infuriating and capable of driving any sane person homicidal.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a brain aneurysm...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

TLG James posted:

Holy crap that tea party chick is absolutely retarded.

Nice tits though...(yeah, that's the only redeeming quality about the bitch)

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Radio Nowhere posted:

It felt like after Colin Quinn's 5 minutes the show just went right back to panel. Good, do more of this.

I felt like at the end of the show, he sat further away from Bill than when he came out. Was a nice image, since he had gently caress all to say.

After a few lovely weeks and almost giving up on the show, I actually liked this episode.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 10, 2011

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Ugh. When I saw Schultz and Steele were going to be on, I preemptively rolled my eyes. And god, was I right. Only halfway through the show, and it's already annoying the poo poo out of me...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

God, I miss puppet Steele. And Gitmo by the way...

Maybe they can make puppet Trump when the Republican primaries kick off (assuming he actually runs this year)...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

ParagonParadox27 posted:

I hear there was some sort of major person's demise in the world. Look into it and then get back to the thread.

Plus, on a lighter note, Obama and Seth Meyers ripped Trump several new assholes.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Just watched the first five minutes, and Clarke makes a red shirt reference. Loving this man already.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 14, 2011

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

This week was good, especially the last New Rule.

Couldn't stop staring at the woman's rack though.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Another liberal circle jerk, and god, Garafolo is loving annoying.

Jane Lynch was great though. I know she's lesbian, but I find myself strangely attracted to her.

New Rules weren't bad either.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

SERIOUS posted:

I guess there was no Real Time last night?

No, he said last week they were going to be off this week.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

FuriousGeorge posted:

Something about Mark Cuban's head unnerves me. Was he wearing lipstick?

The man just annoyed me. The head didn't help though.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

Just a heads up for any Breaking Bad fans that Bryan Cranston will be on the panel this week!

YAY!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Early in the episode, the hot conservative lady put her hand on Spitzer's arm while making a point. At that moment, I actually said out loud "that's a liberal/conservative hate gently caress waiting to happen". I like that my mind works in much the same way as Bryan Cranston's.

Also, I wanted to jump into the studio when they all said "yeah, Breivik is crazy". No. He's not.

This guy went through nine years of meticulous planning. Acquired certain chemicals he required for his bomb from Poland. Started up a farming business so he'd be able to order large amounts of fertilizer without it looking suspicious.

He then proceeded to rent two cars. One van for the bomb, and another one to drive him to the boat he had ready. When he got to the island, dressed as a police officer so as to appear intrinsically trustworthy, he made sure to gather as much people around him as possible before he started shooting them. And he made sure to put a bullet in the head of everyone he shot. You know, just to make sure.

Oh, and while he was planning this thing, he wrote/cut&pasted a 1500 page manifesto together.

I'm sorry, but that kind of planning and clear, long term thinking doesn't fit my definition of crazy. Sociopath, yes. The worst example of what mankind has to offer. Sure.

But he's not nuts, and by dismissing him as a mad man, we risk ignoring factors that contributed to his decision to carry out these attacks.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

pkd88 posted:

I really did not find the panel that bad but they accomplished nothing. None of them were really offensive and none of them actually said anything with any meaning.

Richard, all that stuff you listed makes him crazy. Crazy people can be organized and plan things but that doesn't mean they are not crazy assholes. Believing in magic and then killing people over said belief is crazy.

Bill's point about it being religion based was lost in the dull and meaningless panel discussion.

Well, I disagree. My definition of crazy is someone who has lost their grip on reality. As warped as this guy's ideas may have been, they were the product of a rational, if extremely misguided mind.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

JerkyBunion posted:

PJ O'Rourke is never ever enjoyable to watch. The panel should never ever have Matt Kibbe, PJ O'Rourke, or Ann Coulter. The panel should always have Neil DeGrasse Tyson. :allears:

I want to see Matt Taibbi more often. I really hope he does his 'Real Time real reporter' thing again next year.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Holy gently caress. When that fat gently caress Fund was defending the filibuster by saying "there are several things in the Constitution to protect usfrom the tiranny of the majority", I was ready to punch through the screen.

If I were actually American, I would've had a brain aneurysm a loooong time ago.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 15, 2011

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't want the show to be an echo chamber, but they also need to stop having Republicans on because they're all one giant loving talking point and bullshit. There are a few conservatives that are good guests, capable of having an actual debate and conversation, they should just rotate them.

There are a few Republicans that I can stomach (David Frum is one of them). It's basically every right winger who is willing to acknowledge, in front of a camera, that the current Republican Party is batshit insane.

However, 'reporters' from financial networks are a different story. Not only should they not be invited on the show, they should be herded together and shunned like a leper colony.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I'm glad I Tivo this show before I watch it because I always have to fast forward though the irritating as gently caress conservative schtick. The conservative on the left made me want to punch holes through the TV with his blatant lies and spin.

Fund really is one of the most disingenuous shitbags out there. But I'm more pissed at Maher, not being prepared enough to destroy the bullshit 'arguments' that I as a casual viewer can see coming a mile away.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

SpaceMost posted:

My ideal episode would be one without a celebrity guest, unless that celebrity guest has a demonstrable track record of political opinion or activism.

It's always lame when he gets some celebrity on there who just sits there occasionally cracking jokes, and can only spit out CNN/Fox News talking points as their contribution to the discussion.

Seth McFarlane is always great on the show. Have him, Taibbi and Frum on the panel, and I would be over the moon.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

IRQ posted:

I want to beat Grover Norquist to death with a leadgold pipe.

e: and Ron Christie. I knew I hated this oval office before, but I had never seen him in person.

I dreaded watching this week's show, because I figured my head would explode as soon as Norquist opened his mouth.

But it was Ron Christie who really got under my skin. I don't know if it was the effeminate voice, or the cheap retorical trick of going 'at the time of 9/11, when over 3000 Americans lost their lives...'. loving hell, I wanted to punch through the screen...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

JerkyBunion posted:

Issa knows his audience. He always comes off as extremely reasonable on real time but go look at his actions as the head witch hunter in Congress. The man is pure politician. He's a wingbat when the right is watching and reasonable when the left is.

Engvall on the other hand comes off as the typical middle American. Too busy with life to pay attention to politics too closely, too busy to scrutinize any talking point that "makes sense" on the face but, when presented with facts or counter arguments, is willing to accept it and make the correct judgment.

This. Exactly this. The man is such a shitheel. He acts like a perfectly acceptable moderate most of the time on shows like Real Time. When he´s out of the spotlight (meaning, only C-SPAN's camera's are rolling) he is as much in favour of hysterical witch hunts as all the other Republicans.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Matthews and Ellison annoyed the living poo poo out of me, even though their views are probably closer to mine than Sullivan's.

Jesus loving christ, Matthews. He was reacting to any criticism of JFK like someone just spat his girlfriend in the face.

I also could've done without Common's platitudes.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Zogo posted:

I don't like when people are on Maher's show trying to sell their books (that's almost every show now). Also, I rarely like any of the mainstream politicians on the show.

I can't stand Matthews in general, but he was particularly obnoxious today.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I know it's the View, but it's got Maher in it so I'm posting this clip here.

Watch Elizabeth Hasselbeck give new meaning to the term passive-aggressive.

Also, why the hell would he appear on that show. I'd assume that's about as far away from his target audience as he could possibly get...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

ExiledTinkerer posted:

If there was ever a time for Michael Moore to just casually walk onstage just because he can, it would've been for the Religulous/SOPA part of things---he almost certainly could've spun Maher around on it considering.

Agreed on Sanders/Tyson, even if they didn't speak and could just give folks the death-stare when they are saying stupid things the effect would be better episodes. I'd have rather had Moyers on the panel in that Palin book guy's spot at the very least.

The Palin guy was completely useless. They didn't discuss his book at all, did they?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Jesus, I should have listened to you people. I'm twenty minutes into the episode right now, and this is loving unbelievable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Also, how the hell did I miss that Jan Brewer thing...