Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ayb posted:

1. Three peeps of the whistle isn't required. Game is over as soon as you blow it. Not sure why you'd blow for the end when the
ball is in the air in the box
2. In the tunnel before the game, not sure if you actually show a card or not
3. Too bad, goal stands

Yeah I think a ref blowing the whistle at that point would get a talking too from his superiors.
And a few death threats from fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

1. You're an rear end in a top hat for blowing during an attacking chance, but the game is over, no goal.
2. In the tunnel I'm sure for both, but it'd go in the match report instead of actually showing a card. For an actual card offense, I think it's when anyone is on the pitch
3. Entirely too bad for the keeper.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

ayb posted:

Still a thing. Spray foam is opening up all sorts of new worlds of questions

1) you're a twat
2) page 38 (I do like the idea of the ref being on the team bus though watching out for wrongdoing)
3) learn to shoot foam better but the goal stands

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Technically, the cards are only for communication of the punishment for an offense right? I wouldn't put it past Hackett to have it be a literal "cards are only shown on the pitch" versus "punishment can be given at any time directly before or after the match".

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
They must be so happy about the foam I can't wait til the edition where it's used as a weapon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As part of a goal celebration, a player with a beard steals your foam and starts shaving on the sidelines. How do you react?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The foam questions are better than last year, when all the questions were about Hawkeye not working

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Seltzer posted:

They must be so happy about the foam I can't wait til the edition where it's used as a weapon.

A fan manages to get his hands on the magic foam, and sprays it in a player's eyes as he goes for a throw-in. The player lashes out and hits the wrong fan in stinging eye confused retaliation NOW WHAT

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chocolate Teapot posted:

A fan manages to get his hands on the magic foam, and sprays it in a player's eyes as he goes for a throw-in. The player lashes out and hits the wrong fan in stinging eye confused retaliation NOW WHAT

You eject the player for violent conduct and have the stewards handle the fan.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh No! A player with a sense of humor has switched you foam for shaving cream and scooped the shaving cream off the ground and made a little beard.

What do you do!

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

Soulex posted:

Oh No! A player with a sense of humor has switched you foam for shaving cream and scooped the shaving cream off the ground and made a little beard.

What do you do!

Send him off for unsportsmanlike conduct, then make your own little beard.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
As always, your first priority is to call the physio over so he can make sure the beard is okay.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Grimble posted:

Send him off for unsportsmanlike conduct, then make your own little beard.
No, you make the beard before you send him and make sure it's a :hitler:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You use your foam to draw a line, but realize that you put it in the wrong place and draw another one. The captain of the defending team politely points out to you that somehow you seem to have drawn a giant penis on the pitch in the middle of the Champions League final. What do you do?

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

vyelkin posted:

You use your foam to draw a line, but realize that you put it in the wrong place and draw another one. The captain of the defending team politely points out to you that somehow you seem to have drawn a giant penis on the pitch in the middle of the Champions League final. What do you do?

Punch Gary Neville in the face. What else can you do?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

blue footed boobie posted:

The foam questions are better than last year, when all the questions were about Hawkeye not working

During a relegation six pointer, you are certain that a ball that bounced off the crossbar went in giving one team the win, but you did not hear the buzzer. As you blow for full time, you discover to your horror that someone has sprayed magic foam on all of the Hawkeye cameras. What do you do?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

quote:

Keith Hackett's verdict
1) Game over. You decided it was full time, and signalled that when you started blowing the whistle. So disallow the goal. But, of course, you really should have waited for the outcome of the header, to avoid this sort of controversy: best advice is never to blow for full time if the ball is in the penalty area. Thanks to Philip Tablot.

2) a) From the moment you enter the field of play; b) After the full-time whistle to any player who is still on the field of play. In between those times you can caution or dismiss a player at any point, including during the half-time interval. If a player is guilty of misconduct outside that period, you can report him but there's no need to start brandishing cards on buses. It happened to me once: I had been running a grassroots game and was threatened on the bus home. I reported the player involved to the FA and he was fined and banned. Phil Roberts wins the shirt.

3) Tell him to calm down and award the goal. Footballs are often slippery, whether it's due to mud or rain, and keepers need to be ready for that. If there is foam on the ball, so be it. But maybe you should have a think at the next free-kick whether you're using too much...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Delay the start of the second half, soak the other side. Call the game if they can't and make a note in your loving report yada yada

Foul play, free kick to the attacking side, caution to the defender, note in the loving report

Tough poo poo, the captain can stay out but the actual sub goes through. So the team will play with a man down until you say it's ok for him to come onto the pitch. Make a note in the loving report.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

1. Hackett's probably going to say the laws state you have to change sides and don't talk about wetness and blah blah blah play on. Punch the groundskeeper in the face.

2. Yellow card for unsporting conduct, note in match report, restart with IFK.

3. Yellow card the captain for leaving without permission, the sub can't come on until the right player leaves the pitch. Coax the captain back onto the pitch by telling him if he doesn't come back you'll send him off for dissent.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

generally agree, but i might red card the player who dived if it was DOGSO for "putting the game into disrepute"

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
1 happened to Juventus in turkey and I'm still lolling about it.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

RE: #3, Here is a creative answer one of the (former) national referees here did when this happened in an adult amateur game:

He went to the manager and asked "So...do you want to change the substitution to him instead?" Manager replied no. So ref turned and signaled to the player who was supposed to come off to still come on over. While that was happening (AR1 was there to manage it) he went and talked to the player. Conversation was, paraphrasing:

Ref: "So, what's up?"
Player: "I'm dead."
Ref: "Not coming back?"
Player: "Not coming back."
Ref: "Well, as far as I'm concerned you're injured, so if you change your mind, great, but you have to wait for me to call you back on if that happens. In the mean time, your team is playing short handed."

The logic was that if a player is really that beat, they aren't going to be a problem, and giving them a yellow card (came with a small fine iirc) for what amounts to "being too tired to play soccer" was overly harsh. By deciding the player is injured, the player now has permission to be off the field. However, he also left the door open to being able to give a yellow card later if it turned out the player was actually trying to game him somehow (like if he just darts back out there later on). Assessor was not sold at first but by the end of the debrief was fine with how it all played out.

EDIT: This, obviously, is a YMMV type solution. It's definitely not the book answer, and not every ref could do it, but IMO it serves the game better, for adult amateur anyway. Kind of like if a player needs to barf and they run off the field you just kind of look the other way about the whole "leaving field without permission" thing. Some of the players drink way too much the night before a morning game in the summer heat.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 11, 2014

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Gigi Galli posted:

1 happened to Juventus in turkey and I'm still lolling about it.

Andorra only watered one half of their weird pitch against Wales too.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
On number two you can't change the throw in. Even if you caution or eject the player.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

:chloe:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
1. Goal
2. Cannibalism
3. Goal

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is that Peter Capaldi

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Is that Peter Capaldi

No, that's a Dalek.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had not seen the rest of the image. Should have guessed.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

1. Award goal, send off Dalek. If it refuses to comply, inform him that you can't let the game go on with a disturbance on the pitch. Additionally, call on the groundsman to clean up the pile of ashes.
2. Rough sex on the pitch.
3. Allow it, that was an A+ move. Inform the teams that in an effort to make the game more fair, the Giants are allowed to construct as many snowmen as they want to, though they need to be at least 50 cm tall and have an approximately snow-man-y shape. If any player on the opposing team touches a snowman they will be sent off.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

1. Disallow goal, abandon match. Run away. While you're sprinting out of the stadium, jot down the incident in your referee's notebook and report the incident to the FA.

2. Replace yourself with the fourth official, red card the player for violent conduct.

3. Allow it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5loeV-_4og

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Forgot to grab the answer.

quote:

Keith Hackett's verdict
1) Exercise caution. Wait for the Dalek to dematerialise, then disallow the goal. The Dalek counts as a classic "outside agent" in the Laws, so restart with a dropped ball. It's an intriguing scenario – maybe it explains all those nervous-looking decisions we've seen in the top flight this season … Thanks to Dave Besag for the question – Dave wins this week's original artwork.

2) There are two ways to handle this. The first, FA-approved answer is to send off the striker for his offensive language and his violent conduct, then report yourself to the authorities. The second, Hackett-approved answer is to call for some HP Sauce and a bottle of plonk to help digest the boots and shinpads. Thanks to Steven Miller.

3) It'd be tough on the lad to disallow this one – though technically, like the Dalek, the snowman is an outside agent. Going by the book, as soon as the ball rebounds you need to stop play, have the snowman removed and restart with a dropped ball on the edge of the area. But, as it's Christmas, I'd play my Arsène Wenger card: I didn't see the incident and, as far as I'm concerned, it's a worldie from Glipton's finest. 12-1 it is. Thanks to Kara Collins, and happy new year!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Iridium posted:

Forgot to grab the answer.

Oh my god Hackett actually has a sense of humour. :monocle:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

1- Tell the player if his eyes are that lovely he should quit professional football. No action.
2- Never listen to ghoulish managers. Ref like you normally ref.
3- You hosed up, game over and don't tell anyone you hosed up.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

1) So what?
2) So what?
3) So what?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

For 2), I'd definitely make sure to speak to him directly and not trust my secretary to relay the discussion accurately

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Seltzer posted:

1- Tell the player if his eyes are that lovely he should quit professional football. No action.
2- Never listen to ghoulish managers. Ref like you normally ref.
3- You hosed up, game over and don't tell anyone you hosed up.

The're really running out of ideas.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

The're really running out of ideas.

Yea this is one of the worst ones yet. Also I'm pretty sure do nothing is the legit answer to all three of these questions with some stupid addendums by Hackett about noting things in match reports and informing higher ups about stuff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Haven't they recycled questions before as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

:anime:

• Locked thread