Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tsaedje posted:

I'd give a yellow for unsportsmanlike behaviour. It's no different than kicking the ball out of the keeper's hand when he's about to drop kick it.

No it isn't (also that latter thing was not illegal either for ages, there was a phoenix from the flames where george best scored like that but it was disallowed for no reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

1. Not a goal. You can't completely stop in a run up to a penalty.
2. [Will think about later]
3. Tell them to get playing, give the captain a yellow card for dissent if he refuses.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SteadfastMeat posted:

1) Book the defender, free kick. If the defender is Gary Neville punch him in the head again

I reckon he gets sent off for two bookable offenses (coming back onto the pitch without permission and tripping the opponent)

SteadfastMeat posted:

2) Yeah? As long as they're covering opposite ends of the pitch it's okay, right?

Except then the ref will have to run the opposite corner to opposite corner as well, and that risks a greater gently caress up for the desire not to be muddy. Have them run the same bits.

SteadfastMeat posted:

3) It's a backpass, that's a penalty right?

Indirect free kick

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Alas no Dowie

You can have Phil Brown though

or Steve Bruce!

or Ricky Sbragia for some reason

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Note that Hackett considers #3 a red card, but not the one where he's 20 yards back on a open net.

He dumb.

Having read lots of them back to back last night, there are some decisions (like the taking your shirt off one) that he just flip flops over, giving different answers every time it comes up.

Hackett more like Hack..ett. Erm.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You can red card substitutes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

As trin said, leaving the field in #2 is completely a non-issue. The point of the rule is to stop twattish behaviour, not to disrupt someone just playing football.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dudley posted:

1) You played advantage and they blew it. Red card but goal kick.

If they don't get any advantage then you call the game back, that's what the point of advantage is!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

s0meb0dy0 posted:

1) Do nothing. You played advantage, the player had an open, easy goal, and messed it up. It's no different than if he had taken the shot and missed.

"If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goalscoring opportunity and
a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent’s handling the ball or fouling an
opponent, the player cannot be sent off but he may still be cautioned."

By the letter of the law, the keeper should be sent off.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Scikar posted:

By that line of reasoning the second player could be fouled by that defender on the line, the ball comes back off the post, the original striker taps it in, and then you send off both goalkeeper and defender for denying 2 of the 3 opportunities.

In that situation you would yellow card the players, not red card them. You only dismiss someone for DOGSO if a goal isn't scored immediately after.

Mewcenary posted:

You CANNOT send off the defender as he did not deny anything: A goal was scored!

You're making the correct conclusion but this argument is profoundly stupid; the defender fouling prevented the opportunity which is still true even if someone taps it in after. It's just that if a goal is scored, DOGSO is no longer a red card offense.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hoops posted:

The fronts of the goalposts are triangular? What does that mean?

It means the triangular bit of the goalpost cross-section is as the front you idiot

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

8raz posted:

And also influences the direction the ball bounces off them.

That's kind of important, but square ones are allowed. It means that balls are funneled into the goals though

Hoops posted:

I was taking "goalposts" as referring to the entire frame. I had it in my head that the diagram was a side-on shot of the entire goals and they had massive trangle bits sticking out of them onto the pitch and absolutely didn't know what the gently caress.

Football, blurnsball style

Hoops posted:

Now I understand why the ref is touching the posts. No idea now why I read it the way I did. Give me a break though I've been ill for like three days.

I have a fever, you have no excuse

I'm sweating like a goon

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

peanut- posted:

However, the player has taken a bizarre gamble: you would only show a red card to the goalkeeper if he denied the first striker an obvious goalscoring opportunity – and there was a defender on the line. Players are best advised to focus on playing, not refereeing.

If the defender and the keeper are switched, the defender would get a red card every time. Why is a less good defensive position not a red card offense?

peanut- posted:

Goalposts and crossbars must be square, rectangular, round or elliptical in shape

Square or rectangular you say

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

pik_d posted:

Oh also tell the ball boy to stop being a oval office and let the guy use the towel.

They're not allowed to, it's why Delap has a retarded towel-shirt.

Dollas posted:

2. This is a total coincidence, the thrower has turrets

What calibre?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's not DOGSO, a goal was scored. This comes up about once a month.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Psybro posted:

By your logic I could hack someone down in the area, boot the ball in and throw a wobbly if the ref dare send me off.

You shouldn't be sent off in that situation by the laws of the game (assuming by "hack" you mean something non-violent, hacking implies it's a red card offense without the denial of a goal), correct.

Just because you think it's silly doesn't mean that the laws change.

And were you watching the women's world cup :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Psybro posted:

In both cases, a goal was denied, then a second action occurred resulting in a goal. By your own admission the wording of the law says 'goal or goalscoring opportunity'.

Except it doesn't break it down into separate instances the way you're claiming it is. To use another example from YATR, consider a striker who is fouled just as he's about to tap the ball in and the other striker lets it run out of play to make sure it's a red card. That's not a DOGSO because there was still a OGSO in the run of play.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

1. Nothing, live with it.
2. It's fine.
3. IFK from where the encroachment happened. The rules are there to stop easy rebounds as much as anything else so why wouldn't that not be allowed :downs:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

foobardog posted:

e: I'm actually not so sure if the penalty should be retaken or not in 3. If the penalty kick resulted in a goal with an attacking player breaking the rules, it is a retake. But perhaps since the penalty kick failed to be a goal, went into play and then became a goal, it should be an indirect free kick since the penalty was not a goal?

Yes. If an attacker is encroaching on a penalty and it is missed then it isn't retaken, whether it is touched by the encroaching player or not. You've already had your chance.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

2)Keeper has the ball so it's a goal kick

I see

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Scikar posted:

But it turns out that's wrong, and it's been on YATR before.

If anything that's a guarantee he'll call it the other way this time. He's not the most consistent.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Aromatic Stretch posted:

I think 3 is a goal, I remember a ball deflecting off a balloon and going into the net being a goal once before

Sunderland Liverpool, and that was the wrong decision

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HinderedUseless posted:

for 1) doesn't the PL have a rule where only the captain can address the ref?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I think he assumed it came from American football because

Lamont Cranston posted:

The offense one-times it on net from the corner kick

is not something that people say about football and I had no idea what it meant (and even with the clarifying post above I can only assume you mean a volley)

• Locked thread