Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Can someone be a dear and avatarize Wenger for me? I have no photoshop skills.

Click here for the full 940x429 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Worth every penny.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Well, from the verdict, unsporting behavior at the run-up just means a penalty retake. I guess this makes sense, because it's not like a free kick is given for dissent, or time wasting (right?). So while it sucks for the goalkeeper, I don't think the pentalty taker has done enough "wrong" to justify not taking the penalty.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Revenant Threshold posted:

Yeah, the reasoning given is that it has to both fulfil a) not being dangerous to the wearer or anyone else, and b) it has to be medically necessary. It might well fulfil the first criteria, but it fails the second, and it needs both.

But how are things like sweatbands medically necessary?

For this week's:

1) Charge them with a substitution and put it in the match report?
2) Replace linesman with 4th official
3) a Yellow and a Goal (intentional handball); if it had been deflected into the goal, it would be a Red and a Penalty.

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 20, 2012

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
If I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the club in 1), then there was some commotion or confusion and they forgot to report the sub to the 4th official before play started. Really, it's the referee's fault for not noticing or validating the squad sheet before restarting play in the second half. IMO, this would best resolved off the pitch in the form of a fine on the club itself, instead of penalizing a player on the field who himself has done little wrong.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
How would that rule change if it were an outfield player?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
For 3, could you also eject the manager, or whoever was on the other end, for some sort of misconduct?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

HinderedUseless posted:

For 3, could you also eject the manager, or whoever was on the other end, for some sort of misconduct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bz-Qet4BDM

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Trin Tragula posted:

Tell you what, Keith; you can do that in any match you'd care to name, and I'll be over here with a camera to see what happens next.

Which one are you on about?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

EvilHawk posted:

Red card, team has to play with 10. If he hasn't left the field he hasn't been substituted. I'm pretty sure this was actually a question once.

I think that is the case. So alternatively, what if the player getting subbed has a beef with the oncoming player and smacks him in the face. I could imagine a situation where it was ambiguous if the substitution had been made. What if both players were on the pitch, or off the pitch for that matter?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Keith Hackett posted:

1) I would not have a problem with this, assuming of course that they don't all want to be involved in the pre-match coin toss... The only consideration is the competition rule book: some competitions require the captain to wear a distinguishing armband to indicate his status. But if that is not the case here, there is no need to intervene.
Thanks to Ralph Hutton.
2) So long as the delay is not excessive, I would take a sympathetic approach to the manager's tactics here: his side have been wronged, and he simply wants the best possible chance of taking advantage of the penalty. Allow the striker a reasonable amount of time to recover, and make an allowance for that at the end of the half. It is also worth noting that you should not generally wave a physio on unless the injured player has requested treatment. Thanks to Mark Tailsman.
3) You need to piece this one together. First, talk to your assistant to ask for his opinion on the offside. You have the final say, though, so if you stand by your view that the player was offside, regardless of the advice, disallow the goal and restart in the usual way. You also need to caution he defender for a particularly blatant act of unsporting behaviour.
Tom Lockton wins the shirt.

for 1) doesn't the PL have a rule where only the captain can address the ref? I'm not sure how official it is, and it's obviously poorly enforced. I seem to recall the FA attempting to enforce this a couple seasons ago, but then failing miserably. It would most likely be a league rule instead of a law of the game, though.

for 2) why can't the player walk off and back on and take the penalty? Or is it assuming he will need lengthy treatment? Or that any treatment at all will delay the game?

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 23, 2012

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Mickolution posted:

Surely not. Moving forward in this case surely means not just up in the air, otherwise the ball wouldn't be in play if the two players kicking off hit it back to a teammate (as they almost always do).

Am I misunderstanding you? The ball is never hit directly back to a teammate. Usually, there are two guys in the center circle, and one hits it (slightly forward) to the other, who would then pass back.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Sideways and forward. It needs to cross the halfway line towards the opposition (however slightly), though I'm not sure if that is explicitly stated in the rules.

e: hmmm, now I'm second guessing myself. Is it just forward movement or is it crossing the line?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
As an alternate to 2:

What if he came out from half time with two pair of shinguards, one in the front and one in the back. Now since his shins are covered and he's not putting himself in undue danger, would it be allowed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Captain Trips posted:

3a) What's a parks game?

a game in a park

• Locked thread