Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

Bleston Humenthal posted:

Is this a troll? If not, I'd say just pick one of the general purpose basting/marinade injectors. Why you'd use them either for their intended purpose or for your suggested syrup infusion process is beyond me.
I received one of these as an xmas gift... what IS a good use for one? Best I can come up with is experimental crap like gravy-injected potato gnocchi.

Content:
A simple plastic spray bottle for water can do remarkable things when baking bread. It's the cheapest and best way to approximate the steam-injection jets on professional baking ovens. Misting a little water on the surface also helps reinvigorate dough that's getting dried out while shaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, time to buy jars. Do I have to get the kind that have clamps on the lids for airtightness, or can I just use those pop-top ones?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Jars for what?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Flour, sugar, everything.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Are there anyone who would like to recommend this.. because I really really want it..

(yes - that is a $383 pasta pot.. But it is so shiny!)

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

Are there anyone who would like to recommend this.. because I really really want it..

If it's not the $500 cow terrine, it's the $400 pasta pot. Happy Hat, what ARE we going to do with you?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Look at it...

Just look at it!

It is so shiny!

The cauldron shape signifies firm roots in the old ancestry of cooking, the feminine expression of the form tells me that this will contain what we allways hoped our mothers would hold for us, and rectify instantly any wrongs done to us in our childhood - while the sheen, the polished surface signifies a minimalistic yet somewhat humorous approach to italian cooking, that something so clean can contain a sin so dirty as italian food!

I will spend the entire day looking at my distorted reflection in the pasta pot, in in pure wonderment over the brightness that meets my gaze, small pieces of semichewed tagliatelle stuck in my beard. It will complete me.

Perhaps I should get two, and then let them reflect eachother, creating an infinity loop of pasta pots..

I will see truth! Beauty! Life!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Look at it...

Just look at it!

It is so shiny!

The cauldron shape signifies firm roots in the old ancestry of cooking, the feminine expression of the form tells me that this will contain what we allways hoped our mothers would hold for us, and rectify instantly any wrongs done to us in our childhood - while the sheen, the polished surface signifies a minimalistic yet somewhat humorous approach to italian cooking, that something so clean can contain a sin so dirty as italian food!

I will spend the entire day looking at my distorted reflection in the pasta pot, in in pure wonderment over the brightness that meets my gaze, small pieces of semichewed tagliatelle stuck in my beard. It will complete me.

Perhaps I should get two, and then let them reflect eachother, creating an infinity loop of pasta pots..

I will see truth! Beauty! Life!

You'll spend more time polishing it than using it.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

You'll spend more time polishing it than using it.

That's the case with all penis substitutes (and perhaps with all penises, too?).

Bleston Humenthal
Nov 5, 2008

What are you doing, Julian! The chicken fingers aren’t even cooked! You want us to get sasparilla or something, you dick!

Acetone posted:

I received one of these as an xmas gift... what IS a good use for one? Best I can come up with is experimental crap like gravy-injected potato gnocchi.

The only time I've ever used one non-ironically is for spherification, and that was without a needle. They are used quite a bit in molecular gastronomy shops (they tend to use big bastards, like the ones vets would use on a pony or something), to drop precious little pearls of unicorn infused truffle essence on their postmodern plates.

All reports I've heard lead me to believe that they're crap for actually injecting marinade, etc. into a product (brining or koshering is more effective at improving flavor and texture, and if you just must have your turkey filled with cajun essence, make a roulade for jeebus sake). I have not received any reports on gravy injection purposes.

In sum, short of you wanting to make the now played out alginate pearls, I can't think of a particularly practical use of these for the home cook. It may well be a deficit of imagination on my part, but I certainly wouldn't put a syringe on any "must have" list of kitchen kit.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I use my needle for depositing cream in pockets near the bone on legs of venison - and that's basically it.

Besides that I only use it for heroin.

...and my penis is not shiny!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I should think they'd be useful for getting jam into Berliner/Kitchener buns.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Happy Hat posted:

This is something Sandra Lee would own.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

PretentiousFood posted:

Go to a pharmacy and ask them for a hypodermic syringe with the biggest capacity and largest gauge needle they have. They look at you funny the first time, but those syringes are super practical and usually less than a dollar.

e: Here's an extraordinarily inexpensive one.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you.

e: It's not like I'm dying to have one of these, for the record, I just had an idea and didn't know how to pursue it, so I came here :haw:

Chard fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 1, 2011

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Halal to the Chief posted:

This is something Sandra Lee would own.

Slap my rear end and call me Sandra then!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Slap my rear end and call me Sandra then!

Oh Happy Hat, I've been waiting so long for those words!

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004
Get yourself a baking stone!

I got this one for Christmas and it's been great. My pizza's have been turning out wayyyy better, now that I'm using this stone. I've also baking great bread on it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-4467-14-Inch/dp/B0000E1FDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296583925&sr=8-1

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

that awful man posted:

Does your pan have a disk on the bottom?

Yup. Calphalon "Pots & Pans."

The sides get the funk burned on them from searing meats, and every so often I get mad and scrub it off with Barkeeper's Friend. Then I have a shiny pan for a week! But I forget how annoying the scrubbing was and braise in the pans again. It's like the cycle of violence. :saddowns:

To contribute something new: Give up on your newfangled coffee techno-machines. They suck - if they don't suck now they will suck as they get older. Go French press and you will realize just how good coffee can taste. Frielings are unbreakable and dishwasher safe and hold heat pretty well.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

VikingKitten posted:

It's like the cycle of violence. :saddowns:

This is incorrect thinking. A stained pan is a used pan. And a used pan is a loved pan. I always get a little sad when I go into someone's kitchen and see sparkling and shiny pots and pans. I know they go unappreciated.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Bo-Pepper posted:

This is incorrect thinking. A stained pan is a used pan. And a used pan is a loved pan. I always get a little sad when I go into someone's kitchen and see sparkling and shiny pots and pans. I know they go unappreciated.

Or it means they take care of their poo poo. I don't, but my mom scrubs every little spot off her stuff after she uses it no matter how much work it takes. She does this because that's how her grandma did it.

Edit: Also, at the pharmacy where I used to work, we would not give out hypodermics to anyone who did not have a prescription for an injectable.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Randomity posted:

Or it means they take care of their poo poo. I don't, but my mom scrubs every little spot off her stuff after she uses it no matter how much work it takes. She does this because that's how her grandma did it.

True. But you can still tell the difference between polished and unused cookware. A well polished pot will still have something of a slight matte finish from all that elbow grease. An unused one will gleam like a liar's grin.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

Randomity posted:

Edit: Also, at the pharmacy where I used to work, we would not give out hypodermics to anyone who did not have a prescription for an injectable.

I have better things to do (drink whiskey) than scrub that loving pan every time I use it. I get mad and scrub it about every third use, usually after drinking whiskey.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

As hokey as it sounds, (okay, it IS hokey, no question.) I love my Ronco flavor injector. It cost a dollar. It's got two tips- one is a needle and the other one is really big so you can do things like stuff porkchops without completely butterflying them first. I don't use it all that often, but there are times when it's the only tool for the job.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DragonWC99 posted:

Get yourself a baking stone!

I got this one for Christmas and it's been great. My pizza's have been turning out wayyyy better, now that I'm using this stone. I've also baking great bread on it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-4467-14-Inch/dp/B0000E1FDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296583925&sr=8-1

I've heard from a few places (Alton Brown among them,) then I can just use an unglazed floor tile and spend 1/10 the price...but I'm weary...but reall,y $37 for a freakin' STONE does seem a bit much...

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I currently have 6 unglazed terracotta tiles in my oven, and I'm about to buy 6 more because we have a larger oven since moving.

They are at least 10 years old at this point, never come out of the oven, and still going strong. Excellent for breads and pizza, and you can put a pot/pan/tray on them just the same.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Can anyone recommend a decent food processor that's not a billion dollars, and preferably doesn't eat up too much space?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've heard from a few places (Alton Brown among them,) then I can just use an unglazed floor tile and spend 1/10 the price...but I'm weary...but reall,y $37 for a freakin' STONE does seem a bit much...

I did think about doing unglazed quarry tiles, however this was on my Amazon wishlist and I ended up receiving it as a gift.

sp00kachu
Mar 13, 2003

Chard posted:

hot cupcake injection

Several years ago someone gave me a large-bore syringe, the kind marketed for "flavor injecting" stuff into meats, and the only action it has seen has been putting syrups into cupcakes. If the pharmacy doesn't pan out, you can find cheap variants of this in most Target/Walmart type places, although potentially only in stock when grill stuff is considered in season. I actually like having the holes around the shaft of the needle, in terms of distribution (pain in the rear end for mini-cupcakes though, have to depress verrry slowly or the highest hole squirts stuff everywhere).

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Another use for a syringe includes pre-ketchup'd fries.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

icehewk posted:

Another use for a syringe includes pre-ketchup'd fries.

This is way better if you inject malt vinegar into them after boiling and doing the first fry but before the second fry.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If you ask me nicely and pay for shipping, I can get you any size syringe you might want. No needles, though.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
Feed stores, like Tractor Supply Company or your local co-op, have many sizes of needles and syringes. They won't look at you funny either. Well, they look at everybody a little funny - but they will take your money and sell you what you want.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Ever cook for one or two? Try to do it in the giant 6 quart oval crockpot your mom gave you when you moved out? Fail because you don't want to make 80 pounds of food and it heats unevenly because it's not properly full?

Buy a 3 quart slow cooker!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UCG8II/ref=oss_product

Big cookers are great for big batches of anything, but you're probably like me and never really get around to using it regularly because it's sorta big and annoying to clean and you have to make a metric ton of food and then worry about freezing what you can't eat.
I've been using this wonderful thing for a couple weeks, and I can make 2 or 3 meal batches of whatever I want, and the crock is actually small enough that when I've eaten my fill, I can just toss the whole removable crock in the fridge.

It's rad as poo poo. Peanut butter jar for size comparison.

Smaller still! I got a little 1.5qt slow cooker for Christmas. :3: I can't even find a photo of it, it's some random Canadian company.

It looks like this one:

Less than $20.

jazz babies fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 3, 2011

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

deadwing posted:

The primary use for my FoodSaver is is to seal alcohol in Capri-Sun pouches. :cheers::hf::science:

Tell me more about this

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Want to chime in on a cleaver..

Dick cleaver!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

Want to chime in on a cleaver..

Dick cleaver!

I have the same, it works great for getting rid of bible salesmen as well.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Dane posted:

I have the same, it works great for getting rid of bible salesmen as well.

Do those still actually exist?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Junior G-man posted:

Do those still actually exist?

Four days ago, someone rang the doorbell and didn't say anything on the intercom thingie. I was expecting a package so I let them in. Two guys in somber suits, briefcases and very VERY well groomed hair. They started talking about "The Ancient Writings" and asking me where God was in my life. Told them three times that I wasn't interested in that conversation and then the young guy asked me if I was interested in buying some of their books "so I could learn more".

So I chopped them up with my F.DICK MEAT CLEAVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
With the season approaching, grilling fever will be hitting soon. I have both a gas grill and a charcoal grill. Both are from weber, and I'm particularly fond of the charcoal grill. A weber One-Touch

And forget lighter fluid. Chimney starters are where its at. I had a cheap brinkman one that rusted through in a season, then I got this bad-boy

• Locked thread