Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
McCaine
Feb 20, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT MAKING A SICK BURN ON MY
TWITTER ABOUT VILE RATS DEATH FOR SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED THREE YEARS AGO, PS CHECK MY RAP SHEET BECAUSE I AM MOST LIKELY STILL BUTT HURT THAT HE BANNED ME BECAUSE I POSTED PEDO ANIME BOYS

Stegosaurus posted:

Alone With KKKapitalism

Various reactionary logics have a long history of ventriloquism via 'the mouths of babes,' and the expressions of bogus fright and equally bogus ingenuity via the fetching M. Krul in his only Hollywood hit fit tightly into this well-worn, highly lubricated mold.

The disarming frailty of Krul's character in the film as well as the pronounced erotic element in Krul's treatment by the camera are powerful distractants for most viewers; what can be glimpsed behind what is seemingly the simplest and most innocent of all liberal fairy-tales: the triumph of sweet innocent goodness via cleverness over bungling, irrational evil? Nothing can, so long as we implicitly subscribe to the liberal narrative and refuse to conduct truly rigorous analysis.

The central issue is of course Krul's position. He is a child but of a special type. He is habitually picked on (his pizza eaten, for example) and so low in the consideration of no less a figure than his own mother that she only notices his absence halfway through her trip to the family's vacation destination. But his position is still one of immense privilege. Just as the LLCO has helpfully outlined the Trotskyist nonsense of first-world feminists claiming false allegiance with truly oppressed women in the third world, responsible communists must deny that Krul's position here is fundamentally underprivileged or subaltern. Were he in Afghanistan he might enjoy peripheral access to similar opulence as a sex slave but nowhere else in the world save the monstrous nerve-centers of global capitalism would he, as a small child, have access to such riches as he is seen casually enjoying in the film. Everything, from his presumed innocence to his ingenuity is thus called into question by this naked, white, hairless fact.

What ingenuity is this, anyways? Here also Krul's seducing looks and charming naiveté must be roughly yanked back and subjected unwillingly to penetrating analysis. Is Krul whittling Clovis points from flint ripped out of a creek bed or fashioning a functional tractor by reverse-engineering decades-old war debris? Or is he merely serving as the rear end-end of his family's consumption machine, hurling commodities wantonly to their destruction in the most bourgeois fashion imaginable, against the criminalized product of the same neoliberal order which most likely brought his father into such riches to begin with? Could anything be less creative or ingenious, or more predictable, than this course of action?

Keep in mind as well the broader material basis (and the historical irony descending from it) that enables this trap-laying in the first place: not only the presence of basically expendable resources in gross amounts (the earlier scenes in the film, when Krul eats candy and shoots a BB gun, simply foreshadow the hour-long explosive diarrhea which is to follow) but also the battlefield across which those commodities are violently hurled. In a hilarious Fukuyamian perversion of Kutuzov and Zukhov's grand strategy, Krul is able to trade elaborately trapped space for a seemingly interminable length of time, escaping to untrammeled corners of his parents criminally oversized mansion while his enemies nurse their wounds. The brilliant stroke of the vast plains of European Russia being reduced to a few hallways and rooms in a well-appointed suburban home in Chicago is as fitting a capstone to the capitalist historiographical project as can conceivably be imagined. And Krul, child of a capitalist, is very far from a helpless or ignorant 'babe.' He has been contorted by his inescapable material situation into a willing accomplice of and joyful reveler in the brutal violence which late capitalism increasingly inflicts on its real children- the refugee, the drug addict, the migrant worker and of course the increasingly common criminal.
winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCaine
Feb 20, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT MAKING A SICK BURN ON MY
TWITTER ABOUT VILE RATS DEATH FOR SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED THREE YEARS AGO, PS CHECK MY RAP SHEET BECAUSE I AM MOST LIKELY STILL BUTT HURT THAT HE BANNED ME BECAUSE I POSTED PEDO ANIME BOYS

1294028 posted:

Well this was an enjoyable "Who Gets to Ban SITBM" contest anyway
crumble gets to pick though :ssh: