Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
I have a question about birth control for skipping my drat period since right now it's lining up PERFECTLY for a trip I'm taking next month :gonk:

I've used BC to skip before, I think about... 5 or so years ago when I was 21. I used Lo/Ovral, only for about a month and a half and it did the trick. I didn't experience any weird side effects that I recall, so would I probably be safe in using Lo/Ovral for this again? I'm just sort of worried maybe they've changed the formula in the years since then, and I can't seem to find any info either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
The only thing that would affect you if the formula changed would be the hormone dosage. Which isn't too likely to have changed, and if it did, information about it would be openly and easily available.

You'll probably be ok if it worked out fine for you once, but birth control is a little unpredictable when it comes to period skipping so just keep that in mind. :)

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Bagleworm posted:

I'm confused by this statement. Clots in menstrual blood are completely normal. Menstrual blood contains an anti-coagulate, but in very heavy bleeds it doesn't always have time to "work" so clots can form. It can be a symptom of something else, but on its own its nothing to worry about.

Oh yes, clotting is perfectly normal. To a certain size, anyways. ;)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Badasssss this is what I am crossing my fingers for. I got mine a week ago today. Any more trip reports on periods, spotting, & general discharge on Mirena would be much appreciated.

I've been using the Mirena for 5.5 years now and am on my second one. After the first one was inserted (Sept. 2005) I got 2-3 normalish but much lighter than normal periods, then spotting every couple of months for ~6 months, then intermittent very light spotting for the next 3 years or so. During the last year of the first Mirena I started to get headaches once a month like clockwork, and during the last six months I started to spot again once a month. I had cramping intermittently, especially during/after sex for the first couple of months and with the spotting. None of the cramping or bleeding has ever approached the way my periods normally were (even on the pill).

My second Mirena was inserted at the end of July 2010 (4 years 10 months after the first one). The removal loving sucked, because my strings were so short they could not be grasped and the doc had to dig around in my uterus to get the IUD out. This was an exceptional circumstance, as according to him (and he is older and does a LOT of IUDs) this was the most difficult removal he'd encountered. I wrote up the full story for the old thread I think. The insertion of the second one was fine (he'd numbed my cervix by then). Interestingly, there was only ~1.5 days of ickyness and cramping after that day (despite how abused my cervix was). I guess because my body was already used to having something in my uterus, I did not have to go through the post-insertion adjustment period again.

The monthly spotting and headaches have gone away with the new one, so I would guess they were from the dose of hormone waning a bit as the IUD got older. I used a tampon last week (just one, and it was a junior one) for the first time since September. It's wonderful.

In terms of other discharge, the only thing I've noticed is that for me personally, my discharge is much more like it was when I was on nothing than it was when I was on the pill. I think that it varies for different women though.

Juniper posted:

Also, I recall someone mentioning this in the last thread (sorry if it's in the OP and I missed it) but I also get a cramping type feeling sometimes when I have been waiting for a while to get to a restroom, but it goes away once that's taken care of.

This was probably me. I know I mentioned it somewhere in the old thread. I don't get this as commonly anymore, but it weirded me out at first. Something about a full bladder pressing on my uterus tended to annoy it when I first got the Mirena.

I know it freaks some people out, but drat I love not getting periods. Probably because mine were always so miserable to begin with. It's especially nice to be able to go do field work (bio grad student) without having to worry about dealing with period stuff while not having access to toilet facilities.

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
As a long-time sex-haver and birth-control-user, I just wanted to share my experiences with anyone considering any of the methods I have tried. Preface this with the fact that I am a):australia: and b) :btroll:. My periods were as regular as clockwork before I started loving around with my hormones.

The Pill
I got my period at 12 (and 4 months), and went on the pill at 15. I started on Brevinor, which is the generic, basic pill that most docs prescribe for new Pill users. It was marvellous, I used it to skip many periods (with my doc's blessing) but ended up having to get a stronger one, Microgynon ED50. That was because my body weight was too high and I began suffering breakthrough bleeding - I am suspicious that it was not unrelated to my skipping periods, but my doctor disagreed, and hey, that's why I paid him, I guess. Microgynon was good. I did not experience any mood swings or weight gain on the OCPs. It cost me about $5 per month through Family Planning, and I could get up to a years' worth at a time.

Depo Provera
I went on the Depo shot because I began nursing, and the shift work was wreaking havoc with my memory/ability to take the pill properly. Just before I started Depo, I was incredibly "ready" to have kids (at 17 :doh:) so I decided to defeat my bizarre biological urges by making sure I had something I couldn't really forget. Since I had just started nursing, I was in my doc's office a lot getting various required vaccinations, so it was easy to make sure I got the shot every three months. I was on Depo for three years, and ended up giving myself the injections after getting a script from the doctor - so hardcore!
With Depo, I had hardly any breakthrough bleeding until it was almost time for my next shot. I loved that. I didn't have any trouble with my moods while actually getting the shot, but as I was coming off it for the last time - well, good thing I was single by then. It took 18 months after I finished having Depo to actually get a period at all, and another few months before they became regular again. I think Depo cost about $17 every three months. It certainly wasn't much, and once I learnt to give myself the injections (do not do this), I only had to pay $5 per script for my doctor to write it out. I felt that I gained a lot of weight with Depo, although I am the first to defend hormonal birth control by saying it's an increase in appetite/consumption that causes weight gain, not the medication itself.

Condoms
OK for me, not so great for the guy I happened to be with at the time. I was lucky in that I never had any breakages or scares otherwise that were solely related to condoms, but... (cost is whatever they were at the supermarket, no weight gain or mood swings).

Morning After Pill
The condom-hating guy really hated condoms, and we had both been tested and were clean (safety first. Abortion exists, regardless of your beliefs; anti-herpes does not. Well, not as a curative measure). There were one or two times when we were not as careful as we could be, so I took the morning after pill. It was after the legislation in Australia changed to make it so that you could get the MAP from a pharmacist, instead of a doctor, so that was awesome. I had to answer a couple of questions in the pharmacy about my regular medications and what I was doing for birth control apart from MAP, and the pharmacist gave me a heads up about the potential side effects (nausea, vomiting, messed-up period). I was very lucky in that I only had a slightly messed-up period. This cost $27 per 2-tablet dose (12 hours apart) in 2009. I was off hormonal birth control for about a year, and found that I lost weight a LOT easier off it, but didn't like the uncertainty or putting the control in someone else's hands (or in a piece of rubber. I like things I can do myself, so I went back on the pill for a while).

Implanon
I have a love-hate relationship with Implanon. In between the MAP fiasco and Implanon, I found I had the same problems with rotating shifts messing up my ability to take the Pill regularly. I had the Implanon inserted in Sep 2009, after reading this thread, among my other research. I was inspired by the experiences of some of the ladies here, especially Anne Whatley. The insertion was no drama, slightly sore but no worse than a piercing or even a filling really. It was $30 for the actual implant and Family Planning charged me $40 to insert it. They did tell me how much it would cost to take out, but I forget how much they said. It was under $100 though.
Anyway, since I got it in, I have had unpredictable bleeding, HUGE mood swings (more to the depressed/cries at everything side than bitchy) and not so much weight gain, but difficulty losing weight. I lost 45kg 2 years before Implanon, maintained for a year, and then found it was very difficult to lose any more, even though I was still significantly overweight and doing exactly what I had done before. Honestly, I was a nightmare to begin with - I cried at happy things, sad things, imagined slights,any ads that had animals in them, anything you could think of.
I also bled. A lot. I was not one of the lucky ones. I was OK for the first couple of months, but over Dec 09/Jan 10 I bled for 34 days straight. I kept just hoping it would go away :downs: which it eventually sort of did. For the next 9 months I had 2 periods a month - one when my normal period would be due, and one two weeks later. Thanks god my BF is a patient man who was willing to, uh, explore alternatives.

It's now 16 months since I've had the Implanon inserted, and I think it's FINALLY starting to settle down. I still get the occasional cramp when I would normally be due, but have stopped bleeding so often. I'm also far less of a moody cow (well, I can at least recognise when I am being irrational now!). I plan to keep it in until it's ready to be changed (2012); if I am not in a position to have kids by then, I'll get it replaced, and if I am, well, great.
I do plan to look into the Mirena once I have had kids - I'd get it before then, but I will definitely be having kids within the next 3-5 years so it seems like a waste to get it inserted before then.

Sorry about the wall of text, but I hope sharing my experiences helps someone. I read a lot of VERY POSITIVE or VERY NEGATIVE experiences with Implanon before I got it, and I wanted to show you guys that there are some people who are kinda ambivalent about it.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

annaconda posted:

Sorry about the wall of text, but I hope sharing my experiences helps someone. I read a lot of VERY POSITIVE or VERY NEGATIVE experiences with Implanon before I got it, and I wanted to show you guys that there are some people who are kinda ambivalent about it.

Count me as another one; I've had it for about 9 months now and my experience has been similar to yours. My GP recently put me on Loestrin 20 to sort the crazy periods out so I'm hoping that'll work. Thankfully I escaped the mood swings and I think my skin has marginally improved, so at least there's that. Also, not pregnant, so hooray!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Apparently I have a cheaper co-pay this year on the Ring and with the coupon it came to only 10 dollars. I jumped up in down in front of the pharmacist. Thank you thread you saved me $15.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

Ceridwen posted:

I know it freaks some people out, but drat I love not getting periods. Probably because mine were always so miserable to begin with. It's especially nice to be able to go do field work (bio grad student) without having to worry about dealing with period stuff while not having access to toilet facilities.

No kidding - I'm the same way. (If this sounds familiar, maybe Mirena is right for you! Since I'm basically an infomercial for it now.) Before I left grad school (linguistics) for unrelated reasons, I was trying to figure out how I was ever going to do fieldwork (without focusing on romance languages!). I'm planning my wedding and honeymoon and don't have to schedule around incapacitation days. I'm so spoiled now.

It is weird not having the period the first month or two, but I can tell there's still some kind of cycle going on in me (discharge changes, mood changes, appetite, skin oiliness) and I can tell if it gets thrown off. I was never this in tune with my body before because I spent one week a month hating it and the other three weeks dreading it. Melodramatic, maybe, but true.

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
I'm very torn between Mirena and Paragard. So far, Mirena's big benefit seems to be no periods. Downsides include bad potential for acne, headaches, weight gain, price and the use of hormones. Paragard is hormone free, more affordable and won't cause as many side effects, but can cause bad cramps and heavy periods. Any insight? I appreciate all of the personal experiences so far.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

lou reed posted:

I'm very torn between Mirena and Paragard. So far, Mirena's big benefit seems to be no periods. Downsides include bad potential for acne, headaches, weight gain, price and the use of hormones. Paragard is hormone free, more affordable and won't cause as many side effects, but can cause bad cramps and heavy periods. Any insight? I appreciate all of the personal experiences so far.

Weight gain really isn't an issue with Mirena (or even for most birth control other than Depo).

What downsides do you see with Mirena containing hormones other than the side effects you've listed?

Given that I'm a man, this isn't from personal experience, but Mirena has a much lower rate of side effects than the Paragard, mostly owing to Paragard's side effects you've mentioned already.

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
I've heard it can kill sex drive, which is counterproductive to say the least. I know progesterone doesn't cause blood clots the way estrogen does, but I still don't love the idea of introducing hormones into my system. From everything I read, Mirena seems pretty solid, though. I do like paragard's longevity in comparison (12 years vs. 5)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

lou reed posted:

I've heard it can kill sex drive, which is counterproductive to say the least. I know progesterone doesn't cause blood clots the way estrogen does, but I still don't love the idea of introducing hormones into my system. From everything I read, Mirena seems pretty solid, though. I do like paragard's longevity in comparison (12 years vs. 5)

There's always the chance of side-effects anytime you're using hormones. But the whole point of Mirena is that the hormones stay very "localized" and the dosage doesn't have to be as high, so the effects might not be so bad.

Also (and this is more of a general thing for everyone) if there are particular side-effects you're concerned about, make sure to speak up and mention it to your doctor. I had problems with libido on the pill in the past and my doctor took that into account when deciding what hormone dosage to prescribe the next time around. I haven't had any of the same issues since. :)

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

lou reed posted:

I have a copper IUD and I absolutely love not having artificial hormones in my body, but you do make a sacrifice - I still get moderately painful cramps and very heavy bleeding on my periods, and it's been almost four years. My periods only last about three days of heavy bleeding now, as opposed to the week they were for the first year...

Still, I don't mind a bit of pain if I'm guaranteed that my sex drive and moods isn't being affected by my contraception. And I don't think I could ever put up with spotting.

If you're fine with the idea of a low dose of hormones, potential spotting and other hormonal side effects and don't mind that the Mirena is effective for a shorter amount of time... I would recommend the Mirena, really. More women seem to have a hassle-free pleasant experience with a hormonal IUD, and the low hormonal dose can actually be a benefit - clear skin, reduced cramping, reduced bleeding and less PMS, etc.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Anyone know if my gynecologist would give me huff if I had essure done but still wanted to be on birth control too? I'm also worried my insurance company would just flat out no cover it.

Regular lightened periods are so nice..:(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So my girlfriend is allergic to latex. We are poor, both 18, and still live under our parents' rule so that really takes out any fancy contraceptive ideas we have. Most of the fancier methods look like they'd require doctors visits, and since we still live under our parent's insurance it looks like they'd find out. Also the cost is kinda high up there too.Looks like the most sensible solution for us will be non-latex condoms. I seriously hope they are available at the local pharmacy, which I think they are. I know the cost is a bit higher too, but still reasonable. Right now im considering polyurethane...

However im totally confused about how their effectiveness is compared to normal condoms. Some sites say they are worse at protecting compared to latex, while some say they're equal, while some say they are even better at protecting against pregnancy. I mean is there a really big difference?

And is there any fallacies i've made in my logic so far?

Edit: Or I could just ask mom and dad...that would be easiest. As you can see both parents on either side would flip if we had sex before marriage even though there's no law against it. And despite what most folks say I cant just go "Im 18 now I can live my own life" because respectfully I still leech off of mom and pops resources.

Doubleedit: I read the OP twice already, checked other websites. Most of this question is just verifying that I got everything understood correctly, as well as ask a few questions I have.

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 27, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Planned Parenthood is there for situations like yours. It's completely confidential. So if your girlfriend wants to get on birth control, she can go there for it. Depending on the birth control, she can a generic form of it (same effectiveness as brand name) but for a whole lot cheaper.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Kerfuffle posted:

Planned Parenthood is there for situations like yours. It's completely confidential. So if your girlfriend wants to get on birth control, she can go there for it. Depending on the birth control, she can a generic form of it (same effectiveness as brand name) but for a whole lot cheaper.

Yeah thankfully we have one right near the high school we went to. Is it normally like a doctors office where the both of us can ask a doctor some questions off the [medical] record?

The biggest reason behind my paranoia is that our hometown was a top tenner for teen pregnancy rate nationwide at one point, and a crapload of people I know have gotten pregnant. Are that many condoms breaking? Are people even protecting themselves at all, or are they just using the "pull out and pray" methods?

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 27, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
It's far more likely that people just aren't using protection at all, along with the high chance that your school only teaches abstinence am I right?

You can both go in and ask anything you want. Remember they're there to help you out. :) Not rat you out for trying to be responsible. Also, if you're -really- worried and -really- can't afford an abortion, (the abortion pill is from what I've heard, physically brutal* and it doesn't come cheap) use two kinds of protection.

*I guess you wouldn't quite know but apparently it's like the worst period cramps of your life plus overwhelming nausea, but they give you meds to curb that thankfully.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah I dont wanna put her through the abortion pill. She is also quite fragile with medication and hormonal stuff, so I want to stay away from that. I'll also have to come to terms with paranoia because there is never a 100% chance of preventing babies unless you're tying the tubes....so ive heard.

I'll call PP tomorrow and see if I can make an appointment. But thanks, I didn't expect a response tonight!

(Good god, there isn't a magical switch on one of our bodies that turns off fertility on demand?)

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 27, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Everything I've read states nonlatex condoms (excluding lambskin!) have the same effectiveness preventing pregnancy and protecting from STIs.

I've heard better things about polyisoprene than polyurethane. I think polyurethane tends to be a little thicker and less stretchy. Last time I was at the drug store, Lifestyles had a polyisoprene line called "Skyn," and that's the only box of polyisoprene condoms I noticed. Never used them personally, maybe someone else wants to chime in? We don't use condoms much at all.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Hey so I know I even wrote the FAQ about discharge after IUDs but I was talking out of my butt, and now I'm curious about something coming from my vagina instead. I got an IUD put in nearly 2 weeks ago, and the spotting & bloody mucus have taped off to what seems to be just... mucus. Like, the biggest loogies you ever saw, but mucus. Is this going to be the whole time, or will it taper off too?

Secondly, my strings are really long, and this is probably a stupid question but hold my hand. Will a penis magically tangle on them and rip my IUD out? :ohdear:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Unrelated but I have a good image for the OP :3:

because it ownsownsowns

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
Eggplant, I still have that after 2 years of my paragard. You'll get used to it. And how long are the strings? Less than 2 inches and I think you'll be fine. Maybe get them trimmed?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Hey so I know I even wrote the FAQ about discharge after IUDs but I was talking out of my butt, and now I'm curious about something coming from my vagina instead. I got an IUD put in nearly 2 weeks ago, and the spotting & bloody mucus have taped off to what seems to be just... mucus. Like, the biggest loogies you ever saw, but mucus. Is this going to be the whole time, or will it taper off too?

Secondly, my strings are really long, and this is probably a stupid question but hold my hand. Will a penis magically tangle on them and rip my IUD out? :ohdear:

You should have a follow up about 6 weeks after your insertion. I just had mine recently and my doctor asked me if I wanted my strings cut at all. I also thought they were long when I first had the IUD inserted but honestly I got used to the length and in theory they should start getting a memory curl that goes up and behind the cervix. I declined getting my strings cut because I think if they are cut too short there is a higher chance your partner will feel them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Maybe its a satirical/snarky question, but are teenage girls more likely to get pregnant for some reason? I hear all these stories about how hard it is to become fertile in adulthood, and then I see teenagers having kids left and right like no tomorrow. Its the human assembly line.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Thanks for the discharge info. IDK how long my strings are in terms of actual inches; they're just a lot closer to the entrance than I thought they would be. My checkup is in April (this doctor does 3 months instead of 6 weeks) so it'll be a while till I see about having the strings cut.

Avocadoes posted:

Maybe its a satirical/snarky question, but are teenage girls more likely to get pregnant for some reason? I hear all these stories about how hard it is to become fertile in adulthood, and then I see teenagers having kids left and right like no tomorrow. Its the human assembly line.

Well, sort of. Women are more fertile before they turn 30, and probably especially around 18-22 or so. The thing is you are probably getting confirmation bias (if this is the right term); you notice more teens having children because it's something considered improper. You don't really take note when you see someone in their 20's or 30's having a kid. News programs and magazines don't have big exposes on the epidemic of mid-twenties mothers, either. I really doubt that most children born in the US are born to teen mothers, despite how it may appear.

Also, teens are less likely to know about birth control, and are more likely on balance to make foolish choices about sex. So it may be that teens have more accidental babies than older people, on average...

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 27, 2011

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Bagleworm posted:

If you're fine with the idea of a low dose of hormones, potential spotting and other hormonal side effects and don't mind that the Mirena is effective for a shorter amount of time... I would recommend the Mirena, really. More women seem to have a hassle-free pleasant experience with a hormonal IUD, and the low hormonal dose can actually be a benefit - clear skin, reduced cramping, reduced bleeding and less PMS, etc.

This is something else to consider. Hormones don't always just have negative side effects. In my case for example, I never get acne anymore, no PMS, my mood in general is a lot better, and so far no effect on my weight or sex drive.

Avocadoes posted:

Yeah thankfully we have one right near the high school we went to. Is it normally like a doctors office where the both of us can ask a doctor some questions off the [medical] record?

The biggest reason behind my paranoia is that our hometown was a top tenner for teen pregnancy rate nationwide at one point, and a crapload of people I know have gotten pregnant. Are that many condoms breaking? Are people even protecting themselves at all, or are they just using the "pull out and pray" methods?

Planned Parenthood more or less is a doctor's office, it's just that they specialize in sexual/reproductive health issues. Also keep in mind that no matter where you go, your medical records and anything you talk about with medical staff is confidential. No one (not even your parents) will find out about anything unless someone decides to break federal law. Confidentiality slips are the kind of thing that destroys careers so you're pretty safe there.

Like people have said before in the thread, just don't give them any insurance info and there really won't be any way for anyone to know. That should bring things more into your price range too.

Your town is probably a combination of people too afraid of being found out to get birth control and ignorance of what's available or how to use it. And of course you can throw in a healthy dose of plain bad luck too, since accidents can always happen.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 27, 2011

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I have a question about natural family planning. My husband and I are using breastfeeding as our birth control--we do want another child, so it's not as risky as it might be. That said, I was wondering whether when I do ovulate again, it will look the same as it did when I wasn't breastfeeding--okay, that sounds weird, but I read TCOYF and could previously tell when I was ovulating. Will that likely still be true, or is everything different while you're lactating? Also, does anyone know how long on average breastfeeding stops ovulation? I know that once he starts sleeping through the night it's not as reliable, but I wondered whether there are stats out there somewhere. Thanks!

CHEEZball
Nov 23, 2006

Bagleworm posted:

Everything I've read states nonlatex condoms (excluding lambskin!) have the same effectiveness preventing pregnancy and protecting from STIs.

I've heard better things about polyisoprene than polyurethane. I think polyurethane tends to be a little thicker and less stretchy. Last time I was at the drug store, Lifestyles had a polyisoprene line called "Skyn," and that's the only box of polyisoprene condoms I noticed. Never used them personally, maybe someone else wants to chime in? We don't use condoms much at all.

I've been using the Lifestyles polyisoprene condoms, they are great! Compared to the polyurethane, they are nice and thin and don't feel like rubber. The men have commented that they prefer them to latex as well :)

I don't find them to be much more expensive than latex, I think they were maybe 2 bucks more for a pack?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Susan B. Antimony posted:

I have a question about natural family planning. My husband and I are using breastfeeding as our birth control--we do want another child, so it's not as risky as it might be. That said, I was wondering whether when I do ovulate again, it will look the same as it did when I wasn't breastfeeding--okay, that sounds weird, but I read TCOYF and could previously tell when I was ovulating. Will that likely still be true, or is everything different while you're lactating? Also, does anyone know how long on average breastfeeding stops ovulation? I know that once he starts sleeping through the night it's not as reliable, but I wondered whether there are stats out there somewhere. Thanks!

Can you be a bit more descriptive in what you mean by how you can see when you're ovulating? Do you mean with changes in vaginal mucus consistency?

That method is most effective (but not perfect) during the first 6 months if:
- you're feeding your baby exclusively from breastfeeding;
- the time between feedings is no more than 4 hours during the day and no more than 6 hours at night;
- you feed your baby whenever he/she is hungry.

If those three points aren't met then there's no guarantee that it's preventing ovulation. Also keep in mind that you'll ovulate and thus be fertile before you get your first period, not after.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Implanon trip report! I had it put in...2 weeks ago now? So I guess I'll be waiting another few weeks to find out if I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't bleed.

The scar is about 8mm, still obvious, and I got a ton of bruising afterwards despite heavy bandaging, yay. Here's a pic - I still have faint bruising over the implant site and it's been really itchy. The booklet says it's normal and due to healing, but it's still pretty annoying.

I'm in Australia and it costs me about $40 to get it put in. I don't remember how much the actual implant cost.

Also this may be a dumb question...but is there any possibility that the implant can break inside your arm? It just feels so flimsy in there :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Avocadoes posted:

So my girlfriend is allergic to latex. We are poor, both 18, and still live under our parents' rule so that really takes out any fancy contraceptive ideas we have. Most of the fancier methods look like they'd require doctors visits, and since we still live under our parent's insurance it looks like they'd find out. ...

Edit: Or I could just ask mom and dad...that would be easiest. As you can see both parents on either side would flip if we had sex before marriage even though there's no law against it. And despite what most folks say I cant just go "Im 18 now I can live my own life" because respectfully I still leech off of mom and pops resources.
Would she be willing to go on a hormonal contraceptive if it were okay with her parents? If so, I suggest getting creative with the truth. Maybe her periods are irregular, or heavier than she'd like? There are legit reasons for taking birth control besides contraception.

My parents were conservative too, and I could never have gone to my mom in my late teens to say "hey, I want to have sex with birth control, hook me up with some of that please!" Instead I did my research, found a birth control that looked like it might help improve my skin, and brought it to my mom for that reason. She took it totally at face value, which meant I got her insurance and her complete cooperation, just like it was any other drug for any other reason.

Bagleworm posted:

Skyn feels better to me than regular latex condoms. He claims they smell bad, but I haven't noticed.

Jumpsuit posted:

Also this may be a dumb question...but is there any possibility that the implant can break inside your arm? It just feels so flimsy in there :(
Did they let you play with it beforehand? It's flimsy, but it's flexible. It's not like an actual matchstick, more like...a silicone spatula? I can't come up with a great comparison, but my point is that it bends -- I think it'd be pretty tough to break.

Even if it does break, I don't think you're at huge risk of anything. It's not like a capsule surrounding a liquid that leaks out, and if there's a rupture it would all flood at once. Instead, the hormones are impregnated in the implant and slowly leach away. There would only be a tiny increase in surface area. They'd still probably want to replace it, but it wouldn't be like one day you whack your arm on something, flood your system with hormones, fall over, and get rushed to the hospital.

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

That's President Tandi to you.

lou reed posted:

I've had both (two Mirenas, then switched to ParaGard last fall), and they're honestly both awesome methods. They each have side effects, like all forms of birth control do; the one downside is that if you do get bad side effects and get rid of the IUD, you're out a bunch of money, but depending on your insurance contribution, an IUD can amortize in less than a year compared to non-generic pills or NuvaRing. Side effects vary so much for everyone, and for me it was also hard to say what was a Mirena side effect and what was a function of being 10 years older than when I started.

They're both exceptionally safe, effective, and zero-effort. For me the pros and cons worked out something like this:

Mirena:
+: Nearly no periods the whole time I had them. This is really, really sweet.
+: Evened out my temper massively compared to the pill, on which I was prone to big mood swings.
-: hosed up my skin (which was actually great before) in ways that I'm still dealing with now.
-: Low-level depression that developed over the years, but got markedly better after I went off Mirena.

ParaGard:
+: Normal human moods.
+: Less hungry all the time.
+/-: Bizarre superhuman sense of smell. Hormonal BC probably just suppressed this a bit, but it's not a blessing through and through.
-: Normal human periods. Like I've said, I don't get the terrifying "oops, I cut an artery" periods some unlucky people have, but not having them is still better than having them.
-: That weird discharge thing people have mentioned. It's not terrible or anything, but what the hell?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Avocadoes posted:

So my girlfriend is allergic to latex. We are poor, both 18, and still live under our parents' rule so that really takes out any fancy contraceptive ideas we have. Most of the fancier methods look like they'd require doctors visits, and since we still live under our parent's insurance it looks like they'd find out. Also the cost is kinda high up there too.Looks like the most sensible solution for us will be non-latex condoms. I seriously hope they are available at the local pharmacy, which I think they are. I know the cost is a bit higher too, but still reasonable. Right now im considering polyurethane...

However im totally confused about how their effectiveness is compared to normal condoms. Some sites say they are worse at protecting compared to latex, while some say they're equal, while some say they are even better at protecting against pregnancy. I mean is there a really big difference?

And is there any fallacies i've made in my logic so far?

Doubleedit: I read the OP twice already, checked other websites. Most of this question is just verifying that I got everything understood correctly, as well as ask a few questions I have.

Your gf could go see an OB/GYN on her own and get on a birth control regimen. Depending on her insurance, you guys would probably just have to pay co-pay and prescription costs. If her parents ask why she's going she could tell them that she's going in for a pap (girls should start to get those yearly around this age/when they begin to be sexually active). It wouldn't be a lie either since most gynos check you out once they have you in their clutches.

Jumpsuit posted:

Implanon trip report! I had it put in...2 weeks ago now? So I guess I'll be waiting another few weeks to find out if I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't bleed.

The scar is about 8mm, still obvious, and I got a ton of bruising afterwards despite heavy bandaging, yay. Here's a pic - I still have faint bruising over the implant site and it's been really itchy. The booklet says it's normal and due to healing, but it's still pretty annoying.

I'm in Australia and it costs me about $40 to get it put in. I don't remember how much the actual implant cost.

No, it won't break! The "flimsiness" of the rod actually lends itself to not breaking. If it was rigid it would have a greater likelihood of snapping.

And the itchiness will go away once you start to forget that the Implanon is there. I think that's mostly a psychosomatic symptom- I'll still get random itchiness and I'm almost a year into my second Implanon.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

fork bomb posted:

Your gf could go see an OB/GYN on her own and get on a birth control regimen. Depending on her insurance, you guys would probably just have to pay co-pay and prescription costs. If her parents ask why she's going she could tell them that she's going in for a pap (girls should start to get those yearly around this age/when they begin to be sexually active). It wouldn't be a lie either since most gynos check you out once they have you in their clutches.

This is a pretty reasonable idea if PP doesn't pan out. Women are supposed to get regular pap smears from 18 or when they become sexually active, whichever's earlier, in order to look for cervical cancer or other possible problems. As for the prescription costs, the $4/$9 generic thing at Walmart & Target (and probably others) is a good deal.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
You guys have provided a ton of information for us. We're taking a bit of advice from here and going along with what you guys have said/warned about. Thanks :buddy:

little tea pot
May 1, 2008
I've been on Nuvaring for... six? months, and I love it! I am terrible at remembering to take pills and they make me sick anyway, so this is the best option for me at the moment (until I have enough saved for Mirena but that's another post).

My question is this: I have slight cramps everyday. Not all day, and they aren't bad, but they are noticable. I asked my doctor and she said she's never heard of anyone having cramps all the time on Nuvaring, but I had read online and in the package that it is a documented side affect. Ok, so that wasn't a question, but this is- Is this any way normal? Am I dying?

I really do love the ring except for this little side affect!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I swear to god someone in the previous thread had a very similar problem, but I don't think it was daily. Is your doctor your GP or your OBGYN? Sometimes regular doctors aren't quite as aware of certain side effects.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Eggplant Wizard posted:

From what I've asked/heard about, the mucous thing is totally individualized. For example I have none whatsoever, yet when I'm ovulating there's quite a bit of clear 'natural lubrication' (for lack of a better word - clear discharge just like when I'm very aroused) going on for 2-3 days. I've heard that it's not uncommon for others to have discharge like what you're experiencing as well though. Sometimes it changes down the road, sometimes it doesn't (So ultimately no, I really don't have an answer for you I suppose. Derp!)

Susan B. Anthony posted:

This is a highly unreliable form of birth control. I know you're a grown woman, but I just have to say it so that I know you've hopefully read it. A woman's body *loves* to be pregnant and give birth. After doing so, it starts shooting eggs out like a mofo in order to do it again. It's going to be really, really difficult to tell just when you're ovulating again. Unless you're okay with another baby so soon please, *please* use a condom.
I'm terribly sorry if this came out as rude, snotty or obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
As a heads up for anyone, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo has gone up in price yet again. I picked up my prescription today, and it was $65 with Ortho's $15 off coupon, making it $80 normally. (My insurance only starts to cover it after my deductible's met.) They started off around $45 when I first started taking them 4 years ago. I'm so glad I have an appointment with my doctor soon.

• Locked thread