Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Looking for a chair I can sit in for an 8 hour work day when working from home, then still be able to sit in and game in at night.

Sat in the Embody for 30 minutes today and got the impression that it fit my body well and supported me great, but that it felt a little hard compared to the mesh on the mirra I currently have. The hardness / stiffness might not be good after the 8 hour day for a 3+ hour session of surfing / gaming.

Was willing to try it out, but then I sat in the CXO from Nightinggale and the memory foam cushion felt great while the chair maintained my posture well. It was the first time I had heard of the company so I didn't buy it on the spot. Anyone ever used one or have other chair suggestions for extended usage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All memory foam will degrade within a year, and most in significantly less time than that.

gregday
May 23, 2003

What's the deal with Madison Seating being able to sell the Knoll Chadwick for $399 when everyone else is a couple hundred above that? Do they not include adjustable arms or something? Or is their service just terrible and the items are damaged factory seconds or something?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Madison Seating's stuff is "open box" which means it may not be new. Also apparently the customer service is a huge pain in the rear end to deal with, from what I've heard online. People have reported having luck ordering stuff from them, but just know you're rolling the dice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It will either arrive in perfect condition and you'll be really happy, or it will be smashed to gently caress wrapped in thin cardboard that may once have been a box.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
With a 200$ budget should I buy a new marken ikea chair or look for a used higher quality chair? I am a poor college student.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Progression Please posted:

With a 200$ budget should I buy a new marken ikea chair or look for a used higher quality chair? I am a poor college student.

I'm in the same boat, I know for this price what I'll be getting is comparatively poo poo to a high end $800 chair but I can't really go higher than this.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

My work has been slowly giving me some sort of funbucks through a prepaid rewards card. I'm now up to $900. I want to buy a good chair, except the problem I'm running in to is the places I can use the reward points at is fairly limitted. Best Buy, Sears and Staples seem like the most obvious places, but none of them have any of the brands like Steelcase or Herman Miller.

Well, Sears has some Steelcase stuff sold through Madison Seating, who I'd prefer not to deal with. Best Buy and Staples have some HON stuff, but I have no idea if those are any good. Does anyone have any recommendations for chairs sold through those 3 retailers? I don't mind spending all of my funbucks on a chair, but if I don't, I'll just save them for buying the next iPhone.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Staples has lots of cheaper knock-offs of name-brand goodchairs but I'm dubious about their ability to last. Still the potential is there for a decently inexpensive chair, it's worth at least having a look.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

My work has been slowly giving me some sort of funbucks through a prepaid rewards card. I'm now up to $900. I want to buy a good chair, except the problem I'm running in to is the places I can use the reward points at is fairly limitted. Best Buy, Sears and Staples seem like the most obvious places, but none of them have any of the brands like Steelcase or Herman Miller.

Well, Sears has some Steelcase stuff sold through Madison Seating, who I'd prefer not to deal with. Best Buy and Staples have some HON stuff, but I have no idea if those are any good. Does anyone have any recommendations for chairs sold through those 3 retailers? I don't mind spending all of my funbucks on a chair, but if I don't, I'll just save them for buying the next iPhone.

I doubt that you're going to find a good chair at a reasonable price at any of those. You could potentially buy a bunch of gift cards, say, for Amazon or gas stations or whatever, that you could use instead of normal money, and then just spend normal money on a chair.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

the littlest prince posted:

I doubt that you're going to find a good chair at a reasonable price at any of those. You could potentially buy a bunch of gift cards, say, for Amazon or gas stations or whatever, that you could use instead of normal money, and then just spend normal money on a chair.

Good point.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is QI's advice to slouch a little correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tgopXlXxQ

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Pretty much. Sitting straight at 90 degrees isn't great, and slouching forward is bad. Leaning back slightly was found to be better in a few studies. I can't find the studies directly, but here's a good source: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/positions.html (declined or reclined positions)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hon has the Purpose chair, which is... Ehhhhh. Your best bet is to grab a Steelcase Leap (V2 if you can) from Madison Seating. Sucks that they force you to go through them, but when those are your only options...

Progression Please posted:

Look for a good used chair. I haven't seen a single Ikea chair I've been impressed with. See if you can find a used furniture warehouse that will let you come in and sit in a few of their on-display used chairs, and find one that's comfortable with a lot of adjustments.

iwantcheats
Aug 25, 2014
I just got my first stand up desk, pretty awesome, now I stand and work all day.

It has a button or (roller handle) on the side so I can sit if I like.

I haven't done anything sitting down anymore at this point. Seems better on my back but my feet hurt. =(

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Did best buy and staples stop selling amazon gift cards? I just went to a BB and couldn't find any. Neither sears, staples or best buy have then on their websites.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf

VulgarandStupid posted:

Did best buy and staples stop selling amazon gift cards? I just went to a BB and couldn't find any. Neither sears, staples or best buy have then on their websites.

Last time I went to Best Buy to get Amazon GCs I had to buy the Kindle branded cards by asking the person at the register for them.

They weren't on the floor but function the same as a generic Amazon gift card.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

HONKER24 posted:

Last time I went to Best Buy to get Amazon GCs I had to buy the Kindle branded cards by asking the person at the register for them.

They weren't on the floor but function the same as a generic Amazon gift card.

Yeah, I guess I just couldn't find them. I went to another Best Buy afterwards and found where they should have been, but both pegs were empty. I ended up going to a Gamestop, which means I'm missing out on bestbuy rewards, but I rarely shop at Best Buy, anyway.

Looks like I'm going to take a leap of faith and buy a refurbished Leap for $400 off Amazon. Hopefully this works out well.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So are the two "ultimate" chairs the embody and the mirra 2? That seems to be the general vibe of the thread.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

iwantcheats posted:

I haven't done anything sitting down anymore at this point. Seems better on my back but my feet hurt. =(

Go buy a rubber mat ("anti-fatigue") to put down if you haven't done already.

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee
The price difference for Leap material, between fabric and leather is quite substantial....special kind of leather made of from endangered species?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vaz posted:

The price difference for Leap material, between fabric and leather is quite substantial....special kind of leather made of from endangered species?

Real leather is spendy as heck.

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee
Ah I must be confusing with real and faux leather chairs!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I recently got a Leap v1 and really, my only complaint is the fabric. If I'm shirtless, it's kind of scratchy. Not sure if the fabric was changed for the v2. But, for what I paid, I can't really complain plus we'll have more reasonable weather soon.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I recently got a Leap v1 and really, my only complaint is the fabric. If I'm shirtless, it's kind of scratchy. Not sure if the fabric was changed for the v2. But, for what I paid, I can't really complain plus we'll have more reasonable weather soon.

Should I jump on a 2006 Leap on craigslist for $150? The back just broke off my staples desk chair and nobody local has chairs that fit my 6'2" frame. The chair seems to be in good condition from pictures, but will the padding still hold up?

I need a chair bad, sitting on this swivel stool is killing my back.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

just get a used Aeron and never worry about a chair again

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah go for the Leap on Craigslist. Even if it's a V1 and not a V2, that's a good price and you could do a lot worse. But...

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

...Don't do this. Aerons are outdated and not ergonomic.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

...Don't do this. Aerons are outdated and not ergonomic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVUOGUmxJI&t=7s

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

What's the word on Mirra 1s?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

I have one at work and I used to have one at home. They are good for short durations (eg a meeting) but they suck poo poo to sit in the entire day honestly.

I have an Embody at home now and I am looking forward to getting rid of my Aeron at work.

Don't buy an Aeron to sit in for an entire workday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's odd to see goons turn on the aeron when it used to be I had only heard of it because goons loved it so much.

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee
Had test sit on both Leap and Gesture, both are excellent. I have to say Gesture feels more solid than Leap. I liked Gesture seat depth adjustment via knob, easy and effortless, whole Leap is done with left side lever. Embody version of seat depth is awful in comparison. This feature is important so edge of seat doesn't dig in your back of knees while your back is supported.

Is it worth to shell out extra for back lumbar adjustment on Gesture? It's optional for it while standard on Leap. Huh.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

It's odd to see goons turn on the aeron when it used to be I had only heard of it because goons loved it so much.

I think a lot of people recommending them haven't actually sat in them for any length of time at all

alo
May 1, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

They're decent chairs and probably better than most of your usual office depot stuff, but they're priced similarly to much newer chairs with better ergonomics (or so people say) based on their 90's cachet. Given the choice between an Aeron and a Mirra, Embody or Leap, etc, you should probably pick the newer chair -- preferably after sitting in one of them for a while. If you have the opportunity to get one for cheap, they're great. It might have dubious ergo-cred, but they're sturdy and easy to get parts for. I'm on year 6 of my Mirra and it's outlasted 2 other chairs -- plus it still looks brand new.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Admittedly, the only person that's "turned" on the Aeron is me, and a lot of people in this thread are repeating my advice.

I work in the furniture industry for an office chair manufacturer and I daily talk to ergonomists that HATE the Aeron and have seen firsthand that it causes RSI. And I've met people who were part of the design process of the Aeron - it was never, ever intended to even be an ergonomic chair and was never (initially) marketed as one. It was supposed to be a conference room chair. Plus it's now two decades old and a lot of much, much better chairs have been designed since then.

It is a terrible chair? No - you can do worse, a LOT worse. Are there much, much better chairs for the same price and less? Yes.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I've used a fair amount of the Aeron, Mirra 1, and Haworth Zody, and the Aeron was definitely the worst of that bunch. Very poor lumbar support design, and pretty poor adjustments overall.

Mirra 1 is better but it has a kinda bad seat design, the front of the seat has a weird foam pad and I wish I could figure out how to "fix" it to be a bit more comfortable. They supposedly fixed this in the Mirra 2 but I doubt I'll have the money to upgrade any time in the near future.

I've got the Zody at work and I actually think it's the most comfortable of the three, the seat is super soft and padded which is great for my leg pain.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pulled the trigger on a refurbished Mirra with Latitude upholstering and all the options for $595 ($640 incl. taxes). Not the lowest at all, but it's a local shop with good reviews that does the refurbishing themselves and will happily repair anything. Looks like new.

I tried a factory fresh Mirra 2 right next to it with everything but seat tilt for $985, but I couldn't really tell a huge difference between the two, certainly not a $500 difference. I also tried a Steelcase Leap v2, and while it was pretty good, they only had it in leather and I need to breathe, plus I'm a big believer in no-foam.

I like how the Mirra supports my shoulders better than an Aeron. I'll see how it stands up to a few extended sitting periods.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone here ever replace their pneumatic cylinder on Aerons?

I'm mid-replacement dealing with a portion of it stuck into the tilt mechanism. It actually separated on me so I had that plus the column of the cylinder stuck in the base which I was able to remove earlier today. The last few hours however have been unsuccessful in removing the cylinder from the chair itself. I've been hammering with a rubber mallet the chair's bottom while pulling the cylinder firmly or hammering from the top with 3/8 drive bit since that's all I have that comes close to the diameter and using a plumber wrench to try twisting it out and of course WD-40 in between it all but of course nothing to show for it except gnarled steel.

I'm probably done for today because hands are beat even with wearing work gloves and I live in an apartment and I doubt the neighbors would appreciate the noise any further.

Edit: Awesome! Picked up a proper pipe wrench today and with a bit of elbow grease and more WD-40, I was able to get the cylinder out finally. 14 years of loosened gunk on there:

Now my Aeron is almost good as new (seat frame was replaced 2 weeks ago and I'm considering getting the posture-fit thing)

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 15, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Does anyone else's Leap gas cylinder rub against the ground?
It's almost as low as the caster wheels, and they sink slightly into carpet obviously, so mine brushes the carpet. It's bad because it makes a black stain on the carpet as I move around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone here ever replace their pneumatic cylinder on Aerons?

Edit: Awesome! Picked up a proper pipe wrench today and with a bit of elbow grease and more WD-40, I was able to get the cylinder out finally. 14 years of loosened gunk on there:

I went through the same thing and also bought a pipe wrench, which popped it out in minutes. For other people who go through this: just buy the loving pipe wrench and save yourself a lot of pain.