Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah I bought mine new and apparently it's a minor loving nightmare to return to smart furniture since I didn't keep the box and Steelcase refuses to acknowledge that the arms pointing different directions or the tilt or the wheels having soft spots are problems so neither of them are interested in a return. Guess I'll try to move it on craigslist and try something else. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah I bought mine new and apparently it's a minor loving nightmare to return to smart furniture since I didn't keep the box and Steelcase refuses to acknowledge that the arms pointing different directions or the tilt or the wheels having soft spots are problems so neither of them are interested in a return. Guess I'll try to move it on craigslist and try something else. Sigh.

They have a return period, just use that. :psyduck:

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

I've had a Steelcase Amia at work and man is it so far the most comfortable thing I've ever lounged-slightly-backwards in. Any reason I shouldn't try picking one of these up for my home? I don't really like high backed chairs, but I haven't seen a whole lot of conversations about them. Am I just a chair neophyte or something? :v:

What's a good price for a used one, too? I'm in the Boston area, but have been looking at buying one online just so I can avoid the hassle of waiting for one to come up on Craigslist.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I went to a healthyback store today and tried out the aeron, embody, leap, etc all for the first time.

My initial and lasting impression is that they have a lot of levers and cranks and dials and the sales reps don't like it when you release the seat recline lock and swing wildly backwards in every fancy chair they have.

My other impression was that the forward tilt mode on the Aeron provided the best support for my usual working posture.

I will likely pick up a used Aeron off craigslist soon. Are there any particular areas to closely inspect on these? Is it pretty much just "make sure all the adjustments work and there aren't any holes in it"?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

eriddy posted:

I went to a healthyback store today and tried out the aeron, embody, leap, etc all for the first time.

My initial and lasting impression is that they have a lot of levers and cranks and dials and the sales reps don't like it when you release the seat recline lock and swing wildly backwards in every fancy chair they have.

My other impression was that the forward tilt mode on the Aeron provided the best support for my usual working posture.

I will likely pick up a used Aeron off craigslist soon. Are there any particular areas to closely inspect on these? Is it pretty much just "make sure all the adjustments work and there aren't any holes in it"?

Check for cracks on the back and seat frames.
Pellicle mesh should be in good shape with pad at the front of the seat.
Levers all work?
Armrests, if any, are they also in good shape?
Lumbar pad doesn't matter because it always breaks. Invest in the Posture Kit instead if you care for your lumbar support.

Beyond that "checklist", I'd also check the pneumatic cylinder. Try to get one that still has pressure, they are a pain to replace without proper tools.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Check that the armrests don't move when you shift your weight in the chair. The left armrest on my Aeron slides down when I lean on it sometimes even when it's locked in position as far as it goes, and it drives me nuts.

Still a great buy for $150 though.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone know a good place to get a used chair in central CT? I need a new chair but only have $100-150 to spend on it. Is there anything in particular I should look for if I am tall?

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois

eriddy posted:

The Aeron is a great chair for people that are not overweight, otherwise you'll have issues with the seat cutting off circulation to your legs (I just got 5 used ones from a Lockheed Martin buy-out). Check underneath the seat and see if there are missing screws in the base. It's very hard to gently caress those chairs up, unless you were actively trying to do so.

A good high-back mesh chair with customizable options are good from 9-to-5 Seating, but good luck trying to find an online vendor. They do NOT like selling their chairs online for some reason. The 9-to-5 Strata is the second best-chair I've used at home, the 1st being the ergoHuman by Eurotech. It's an expensive chair, even at wholesale prices, but it is VERY comfortable with mountains of options on them. Humanscale chairs are good chairs, however they are not very customizable, since their chair design is off the idea that it's meant to be sat in the way it is designed, no options available.

I'd be happy to answer PM's about chairs, since I do work for an e-Commerce company that sells strictly office/home office chairs that are a specialty niche. I'm not going to pimp it here, but I will say do not be cheap with your computer chairs. Investing in a good $300-400 chair makes all the difference.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

While looking at reviews for the more expensive chairs I found more than a couple mention a some Ikea chairs as cheaper but quality alternatives. The two I saw suggested were the Markus and Volmar. Anyone know anything about them?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CampingCarl posted:

While looking at reviews for the more expensive chairs I found more than a couple mention a some Ikea chairs as cheaper but quality alternatives. The two I saw suggested were the Markus and Volmar. Anyone know anything about them?

Better than the office depot special maybe, but not much. For $150-200 around here you can find secondhand steelcase.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

This is seeming like a good deal? Why are they so cheap?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/fud/4778415195.html

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Drythe posted:

This is seeming like a good deal? Why are they so cheap?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/fud/4778415195.html

Because Ohio? $275 is plausible if they're trying to make a quick sale, but check for cosmetic damage and play in the cylinder or seat bottom/back linkages. There are plastic sleeves around each bolt that act like bushings. Excessive play in those surfaces could indicate that those parts are worn or missing entirely.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Alright, what about on a Leap? What should I look for?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Any thoughts on the Amia?

I live in Canada, so used ergonomic chairs are super hard to find.

I found this and talked him down to $500 CDN. Roughly $400ish american dollars.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-chair-recliner/city-of-halifax/black-leather-steelcase-amia-office-chair/1039166617

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

CampingCarl posted:

I have a Markus. Now, I don't live in the US so I don't have much knowledge about all the rave the other brands are getting, but I like mine, it's comfortable. It has very good support for your lower back, which is awesome if you sit like a slouch as I do (along with most people probably). No offense to the other people, again, I didn't try the other chairs talked about here, but the Markus seems just fine to me, especially for the price. I'm willing to wager that 2-3x the dollars does not get you 2-3x the comfort which might be a strong point for you if you're conscious about your economy.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Phiberoptik posted:

Any thoughts on the Amia?

I live in Canada, so used ergonomic chairs are super hard to find.

I found this and talked him down to $500 CDN. Roughly $400ish american dollars.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-chair-recliner/city-of-halifax/black-leather-steelcase-amia-office-chair/1039166617

The Amia is quite good, as entry-level ergonomic chairs go. It's not as adjustable as some of Steelcase's higher-end models, but it's leaps and bounds above a big-box office store special. $400 Canadian seems like a great deal for one with leather upholstery.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Well, just bought a used Leap V2 from that guy for $200. I'm very pleased with this chair now.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Is an aeron or humanscale chair something I should be thinking about as a lowly programming student who might have to move for an internship? I find myself leaning forward a lot and sometimes my wrists feel stiff. I don't know if a normal chair is something I need or if I should experiment with some kind of new desk/chair combo, but everything feels really expensive, even on craigslist. My current chair is so old the wheels are disintegrating as I roll, so something is called for. Is there anything I can do to a cheap chair to give it better support?

Yak Shaves Dot Com fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 3, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Unbelievably White posted:

Is an aeron or humanscale chair something I should be thinking about as a lowly programming student who might have to move for an internship? I find myself leaning forward a lot and sometimes my wrists feel stiff. I don't know if a normal chair is something I need or if I should experiment with some kind of new desk/chair combo, but everything feels really expensive, even on craigslist. My current chair is so old the wheels are disintegrating as I roll, so something is called for. Is there anything I can do to a cheap chair to give it better support?
Chairs are just a piece of the whole ergonomic package. Try removing the armrests from your current chair first. The stiffness is probably a repetitive strain from leaning on them. If your keyboard or mouse is on a desk above the prone level of your wrists, you may be leaning your tendons against the edge of the desk, which causes a lot of strain over the course of a day. The ideal keyboard height depends on a number of personal factors including the length of your arms, but somewhere around your belly button when you sit upright is a comfortable height for most people. If you've solved the other ergonomic factors that you can resolve freely or cheaply, look at a new chair. Aeron-grade chairs are quite expensive, even used, and I can't imagine having been able to afford one when I was a student.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 3, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
So is the Embody generally thought to be worth it? And if so, are there good places to buy one online that don't charge full price? It seems silly to spend less on a desk chair than I do the computer I'll use it with, considering that the computer won't last nearly as long, but if there's not actually much return on the additional investment then I'll happily go with something like a Mira 2 or Leap instead.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ralith posted:

So is the Embody generally thought to be worth it? And if so, are there good places to buy one online that don't charge full price? It seems silly to spend less on a desk chair than I do the computer I'll use it with, considering that the computer won't last nearly as long, but if there's not actually much return on the additional investment then I'll happily go with something like a Mira 2 or Leap instead.

I found buying local was a great deal cheaper.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
All I can say is that since I bought mine, I've never had to "think" about my chair again, if that makes sense. I got mine from Office Designs but it looks like they don't give such a deal these days, it's $300 more than I paid 5 years ago.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I'm pretty torn between the Embody and the Gesture. Going to have to find a showroom where I can try out the Gesture but DWR has the Embody. I really liked the Embody but the static arm rests are kind of bumming me out, not sure if I'm making too big a deal out of it. I've always used Aerons at work and a lovely Ikea throw away at home.

Between retailers does anyone know if Smartfurniture or Officedesigns are reputable? I can get the Embody from DWR but then I have to pay a ton for state sales tax and shipping (like 17%). Smartfurniture seems to have a more friendly website.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Any thoughts on the Humanscale Freedom Headrest? I like the idea of a headrest that adjusts as you recline as that does--seems nice for leaning back to watch a video or something--but the lack of a way to lock the recline gives me pause.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Ralith posted:

Any thoughts on the Humanscale Freedom Headrest? I like the idea of a headrest that adjusts as you recline as that does--seems nice for leaning back to watch a video or something--but the lack of a way to lock the recline gives me pause.

I tried it for a second at DWR and it was hard as a rock. I can't imagine reclining in it and relaxing at all. It was the most firm chair I've ever sat in. The Freedom's gimmick is that it all auto adjusts to whatever position you are in. If you enjoy super hard mattresses maybe this is your chair but I thought it was awful.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

particle9 posted:

I'm pretty torn between the Embody and the Gesture. Going to have to find a showroom where I can try out the Gesture but DWR has the Embody. I really liked the Embody but the static arm rests are kind of bumming me out, not sure if I'm making too big a deal out of it. I've always used Aerons at work and a lovely Ikea throw away at home.

Between retailers does anyone know if Smartfurniture or Officedesigns are reputable? I can get the Embody from DWR but then I have to pay a ton for state sales tax and shipping (like 17%). Smartfurniture seems to have a more friendly website.

What do you mean by static arm rests? They should pivot out (width) and adjust height too.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

Hed posted:

What do you mean by static arm rests? They should pivot out (width) and adjust height too.

I guess I just mean how the Leap and Gesture will move inwards and outwards and slide around however you want. The Embody only goes up and down and adjusts width. Even the Aeron you could swivel the arm rests inwards and outwards for example.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Ralith posted:

I recently bought one of these. Yes, it's firm, but not uncomfortable (I work from home, I'm sitting in the chair at least 8 hours a day). The headrest adjusting with you as you recline is very nice, but I'd encourage finding somewhere local and trying it out in person (if possible, how it reclines take a little getting used to - the headrest wants to keep your head looking forward). When I picked mine up, I spent a couple hours trying all the various chairs they had - the Freedom one is what I kept coming back to.

No regrets, even though I had to pay full price.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

So I'm 6'1" and 340lbs so I'm pretty fat. I had no idea chairs could get this expensive!

My old normal chair is pretty beat up as it's something like 10 years old and I'm pretty sure it was the normal 200 or 250lbs limit. I don't like these high prices but I can easily understand the value of not having to keep buying new 200$ chairs because of my weight vs the usual 200-250lbs limits. I'm also turning 34 tomorrow so I also understand that I'm not a spring chicken anymore and the cheaper alternatives might just give me more and more pain as time goes on.

I read the last 10 pages of the thread and I looked online at the Leap, Gesture and Mirra 2. Thay all look a little bit weird to me. Are those really more comfy than the padded ones and what not? They all look small with small back rests, arm rests, etc... As everything would dig into my body from everywhere.

I live in a small city in Canada so there is no way for me to try any of those or a way to find used ones. It looks like so much money to drop without being able to try them on. Like I just said, would they even fit me correctly since I'm pretty fat? Wouldn't the lombar thing push me in the wrong places? Are there any goons around my size with these chairs that could give a small review?

Any other brands/models you guys could recommend for someone my size? I'm trying to lose some weight again and if I can keep it down for once, would those chairs be okay if I can be less of a fatty?

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/leap/pages/overview.aspx
http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/gesture/pages/overview.aspx
http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/performance-work-chairs/mirra-2-chairs.html

What about something like this? http://www.amazon.ca/Boss-B991-CP-D...ds=Boss+B991-CP

Thank you in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 7, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hemish posted:

So I'm 6'1" and 340lbs so I'm pretty fat. I had no idea chairs could get this expensive!

My old normal chair is pretty beat up as it's something like 10 years old and I'm pretty sure it was the normal 200 or 250lbs limit. I don't like these high prices but I can easily understand the value of not having to keep buying new 200$ chairs because of my weight vs the usual 200-250lbs limits. I'm also turning 34 tomorrow so I also understand that I'm not a spring chicken anymore and the cheaper alternatives might just give me more and more pain as time goes on.

I read the last 10 pages of the thread and I looked online at the Leap, Gesture and Mirra 2. Thay all look a little bit weird to me. Are those really more comfy than the padded ones and what not? They all look small with small back rests, arm rests, etc... As everything would dig into my body from everywhere.

I live in a small city in Canada so there is no way for me to try any of those or a way to find used ones. It looks like so much money to drop without being able to try them on. Like I just said, would they even fit me correctly since I'm pretty fat? Wouldn't the lombar thing push me in the wrong places? Are there any goons around my size with these chairs that could give a small review?

Any other brands/models you guys could recommend for someone my size? I'm trying to lose some weight again and if I can keep it down for once, would those chairs be okay if I can be less of a fatty?

Steelcase offers "plus" version of some it's chairs that are larger with wider seats/backs, have a higher capacity, etc. I only rarely see them come up on the used market though:

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/criterion-plus/pages/overview.aspx
http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/leapplus/pages/overview.aspx

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Chair hunt success story today found a great condition steelcase leap chair at a thrift store for 30 dollars. They had a few more I might just get a backup.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
I just bit the bullet and ordered an Embody. At the end of the day I just didn't want another Aeron to sit in after being in one all day at work. That and the five setting recline function pushed it over the top.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

particle9 posted:

I just bit the bullet and ordered an Embody. At the end of the day I just didn't want another Aeron to sit in after being in one all day at work. That and the five setting recline function pushed it over the top.
The Mirra chairs have that too, FWIW, though I think I like unlocking it and tuning the tension better.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap chair? I'm not looking for longevity, since I should hopefully be moving out the country in a couple months, but I'm getting real sick of the lovely chair I'm in now. I'm looking for something sub £80, please don't suggest higher, cannot afford it at all. Something like a 80CM back rest so I can rest my head and quite low down, so maybe the tops of the arms to the floor is shorter than 65cm. Gotta have them wheels and reclining and poo poo.

Cheers for any help or a point in the right direction. I'm mostly just looking on amazon about now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

No idea about UK prices, but the Ikea Markus is probably about the cheapest but decent chair you are going to find other than used or fallen off a truck deals.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any opinions on the Steelcase Criterion? It seems to be lower end compared to the Leap, still a worthwhile option?

Also, any thoughts on the Alera Elusion? Because it's one of the top ergonomic office chairs on Amazon with a really strong review score, and the higher-end(which is still just ~170) model seems to have a degree of customization lacking in cheap mesh-backed chairs.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I just picked up a Mirra for fairly cheap today ($275) and already I can see some issues with it. Is it normal for the chair to have such a heavy thud when returning to the upright position after reclining? That could get annoying after a while, especially since I live in an older house with raised floors.

The cylinder is also a bit noisy when rotating (a hissy, friction-type noise)--anybody have that happen to theirs? This chair is still covered by a warranty and recently got its seat back and bottom replaced under that warranty. Maybe I can get these other issues checked out as well, especially since the Herman Miller authorized service center in my city apparently does on-site repairs, according to the previous owner who had the seat surfaces replaced.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I haven't noticed any problems like that on the Mirra or Mirra 2 chairs I've used, though I'm not sure what it means for a chair to "have a heavy thud".

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Ralith posted:

I haven't noticed any problems like that on the Mirra or Mirra 2 chairs I've used, though I'm not sure what it means for a chair to "have a heavy thud".
When returning from a recline to an upright position, it reaches a hard stop with a sound that reverberates through my floor instead of meeting progressive resistance (or at the very least, a more gentle, quiet stop like most chairs).

Another thing I've noticed is that the cover for all the mechanical bits under the seat bottom (the two-piece shroud that is split down the middle) drags along the rest of the assembly, making a scraping noise while reclining, so I'll have to see what that's about. It looks a bit loose where the two pieces meet.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Oh, yeah, there's definitely a hard stop. Never really bothered me, but maybe that's because I'm on carpet? I'm usually at least a little bit reclined, so I don't exactly hit it all the time.