Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a cheatsheet somewhere with good computer chairs for obese people? My work is the one paying so I'm not really looking to save money here, just find the best chair for me.

Basically the entire office right now is Aerons, so if there is a Big&Tall version of the Aeron that I am just failing to find, that would actually make things really easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chuu posted:

Is there a cheatsheet somewhere with good computer chairs for obese people? My work is the one paying so I'm not really looking to save money here, just find the best chair for me.

Basically the entire office right now is Aerons, so if there is a Big&Tall version of the Aeron that I am just failing to find, that would actually make things really easy.

Back when I was buying my Leap I saw a model called the Leap Plus which is wider and has a 500 lb capacity, other than that it looked to be the same as the basic Leap. My Leap is plenty comfortable so that would probably be a good choice.

Also, Aerons are not good chairs ergonomically, the Mirra 2 is a good one from the same manufacturer but I don't know if they make a "plus" version like the Leap Plus.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow, ~$1300 retail, $2200 MSRP, and almost no secondary market for the Leap Plus. That might actually be a hard sale, since it's pretty much double the price of an Aeron.

It's also . . . really ugly. Looks like they made the seat wider compared to the Leap, but not the back for some reason? It just looks like the proportions are wrong in the shots that are back-on.

I'll definitely try to find a place to Demo one though.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 6, 2015

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone know where to get replacement wheels for an Aeron? I got one for $150 that was in great shape, minus 1 broken wheel.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

App13 posted:

Anyone know where to get replacement wheels for an Aeron? I got one for $150 that was in great shape, minus 1 broken wheel.

5 piece: http://www.amazon.com/Herman-Miller-Floor-Caster-Wheels/dp/B0027UZ6ZU

Singles: http://www.smartfurniture.com/products/Aeron-Chair-Casters.html

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Perfect, thank you.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
It's the one saving grace I have about my Aeron even when I've been looking at that OM5 the past couple of days. The ubiquitous amount of replacement parts is just staggering. I've swapped several parts of my chair (OEM seat pan, OEM hydraulic cylinder, custom arm rest bolts) that I've documented in this thread just to be able to use it just a little bit longer. :unsmith:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 6, 2015

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's the one saving grace I have about my Aeron even when I've been looking at that OM5 the past couple of days. The ubiquitous amount of replacement parts is just staggering. I've swapped several parts of my chair (OEM seat pan, OEM hydraulic cylinder, custom arm rest bolts) that I've documented in this thread just to be able to use it just a little bit longer. :unsmith:

I've been sitting in my OM5 for about three weeks now.

It's great as a task chair and I can vidja gayme for hours and hours. Wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for more of an executive / hybrid chair, because it's not so great for lounging. The seat itself doesn't recline any and there's no lock for the backrest so it is constantly giving you resistance. The ergonomic functions essentially force you to not relax all the way.

The seat is perfectly padded. Just comfortable enough. Armrests I could take or leave, they're pretty generic, but the adjustments for them are great. I've been leaving one one notch lower to match my wrist position on the keyboard, the other one notch higher to keep me square to my mouse.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
http://m.samsclub.com/ip/aeron-chair-aw113awb/prod15340389?pid=_Aff_LS&siteID=lw9MynSeamY-2NzscC7jQOZjlKRCJEER9w

$449 seems like a pretty crazy deal. Also note that you don't have to be a Sams member, but it will cost 10% more.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fancy_Lad posted:

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/aeron-chair-aw113awb/prod15340389?pid=_Aff_LS&siteID=lw9MynSeamY-2NzscC7jQOZjlKRCJEER9w

$449 seems like a pretty crazy deal. Also note that you don't have to be a Sams member, but it will cost 10% more.

I've been waiting to pull the trigger on an Embody for a while, this may beat it out.

e; Looks dead anyway.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 8, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mirra or Mirra 2? Same price. Do I want to pay an extra $125 for a "Tilt Limiter"? I have no idea what that is.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nephzinho posted:

I've been waiting to pull the trigger on an Embody for a while, this may beat it out.

e; Looks dead anyway.

I thought for a second that the link was for an Embody for $450 and I nearly poo poo.

But yeah, it's sold out already.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mirra or Mirra 2? Same price. Do I want to pay an extra $125 for a "Tilt Limiter"? I have no idea what that is.

The tilt limiter lets you change the max reclining position. It's not that great because the part wears out easily and loses grip over time. At my old IT job that was one of the usual complaints with Aerons though I have no idea if it has been improved on the Mirras. Better off just adjusting the tension knob. It'll give you better results.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 8, 2015

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

At the same price for the same features, you'd be crazy not to go Mirra 2.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought for a second that the link was for an Embody for $450 and I nearly poo poo.

But yeah, it's sold out already.

If Embody went on sale for $450 I would buy two without hesitation.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Thanks for the advice on the Mirra options. However, a quick trip to the DWR showroom confirms that the Aeron is like... 5x more comfortable. God drat! I had been told that the Aeron was an outdated, outclassed design; but at least for me there was no comparison.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Thanks for the advice on the Mirra options. However, a quick trip to the DWR showroom confirms that the Aeron is like... 5x more comfortable. God drat! I had been told that the Aeron was an outdated, outclassed design; but at least for me there was no comparison.

Some coworkers have the Mirra in the lab. Compared to them to my Aeron at home, I prefer the aeron. The back of the Mirra is really meh, but I do like the wider seat on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have a Mirra 2 at home and I've spent a lot of time in the Aeron.

Where the Mirra 2 has the Aeron beat is adaptability.

The best way I can describe is is that you set the Aeron up for your body at a particular seating position. With the Mirra 2, you just set it up for your body and it's just right for a myriad of seating positions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bull3964 posted:

I have a Mirra 2 at home and I've spent a lot of time in the Aeron.

Where the Mirra 2 has the Aeron beat is adaptability.

The best way I can describe is is that you set the Aeron up for your body at a particular seating position. With the Mirra 2, you just set it up for your body and it's just right for a myriad of seating positions.

This is how I feel about the Steelcase Think. Very little adjustment but it always seems to be supporting me where I need it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Chuu posted:

Wow, ~$1300 retail, $2200 MSRP, and almost no secondary market for the Leap Plus. That might actually be a hard sale, since it's pretty much double the price of an Aeron.

It's also . . . really ugly. Looks like they made the seat wider compared to the Leap, but not the back for some reason? It just looks like the proportions are wrong in the shots that are back-on.

I'll definitely try to find a place to Demo one though.

In addition to the leap plus they also make a "plus" version of their Criterion chair:

http://store.steelcase.com/criterion-plus

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I think this thread just cost me $800 for a Mirra 2. My back thanks you.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 13, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Any opinions on the IKEA Malkolm? At a glance it seems like a smaller/cheaper Markus, but maybe there's something I'm missing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

isndl posted:

Any opinions on the IKEA Malkolm? At a glance it seems like a smaller/cheaper Markus, but maybe there's something I'm missing.

The 10 year warranty the Markus has for one thing.

isndl
May 2, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The 10 year warranty the Markus has for one thing.

Well, obviously. I can't seem to actually find the warranty listed anywhere for some reason, but if it's a five year you can just buy a new chair given that it's half the price. If it's two year which is Ikea's minimum as far as I know, it's probably still better than most office supply store options at that price range.

There's also the Volmar, which looks like a slightly more customizable Markus. Narrower seat, headrest sold separately, armrests sold separately and are adjustable height, and still has the ten year warranty of the Markus.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Phone posting and didn't see on this page, but 15% off on Herman Miller site May10-May19.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

stuxracer posted:

Phone posting and didn't see on this page, but 15% off on Herman Miller site May10-May19.

I've had a Mirra 2 sitting in my cart for about 2 days that I'm still trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on. Comfort and a tax deduction, but my bonus is coming next month...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nephzinho posted:

I've had a Mirra 2 sitting in my cart for about 2 days that I'm still trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on. Comfort and a tax deduction, but my bonus is coming next month...

It's not just comfort, it's your health. If you sit in a chair for long periods of time most chairs will eventually give you chronic health problems that will need to be solved by fun poo poo like surgery, a properly adjusted ergonomic chair will help avoid those issues. I had chronic back and shoulder pain before I got my Leap v2, over a week or so of use the pain just went away completely and now I get no back or shoulder pain at all. Plus this chair will last so long that when I did the math I found that in the long term I would be spending the same or less on the Leap as I was spending on cruddy chairs that wear out in a couple years of use.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

I ordered the same chair. Hard to pass up saving 20% (shipping is free too for others reading) on one.

I had a "mlggamingextreme" (DXRacer) chair that is pretty nice and still functions, but it was time to buy something nicer. The seat on that chair is still probably one of the most comfortable I have had, but it is not good for long sessions like when I work from home which is becoming a more common occurrence.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nephzinho posted:

What is making you go for the Mirra 2 versus say, the Embody? I'm debating on pulling the trigger on an Embody with the sale going on, but the thought of spending 1k+ blindly is kind of making me worried despite all the positive reviews. And sadly I don't have anywhere remotely close to me that has different chairs in stock that I can try out. At least not in the bit of searching that I have done.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

In addition to the leap plus they also make a "plus" version of their Criterion chair:

http://store.steelcase.com/criterion-plus

Thanks for the link. You know, I swear this is the Chair I use at work now -- just not the plus version. It finally broke after 5 years or so (which is significantly longer than any other char I've ever owned has lasted) and is the reason I'm searching for a new one. Thanks for the link.

EDIT: Looking at the pricetag, it's probably actually a very high quality knock-off.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Etrips posted:

What is making you go for the Mirra 2 versus say, the Embody? I'm debating on pulling the trigger on an Embody with the sale going on, but the thought of spending 1k+ blindly is kind of making me worried despite all the positive reviews. And sadly I don't have anywhere remotely close to me that has different chairs in stock that I can try out. At least not in the bit of searching that I have done.

I ended up pulling the trigger on an Aeron with some customizations instead of anything else. Way I see it, the tax deduction is another 30% back and I need the deductions anyway...
Now to figure out what to do with my current workhorse I got secondhand 2 years ago and was my first office chair to last more than a year without snapping something. Viking funeral?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nephzinho posted:

I ended up pulling the trigger on an Aeron with some customizations instead of anything else. Way I see it, the tax deduction is another 30% back and I need the deductions anyway...
Now to figure out what to do with my current workhorse I got secondhand 2 years ago and was my first office chair to last more than a year without snapping something. Viking funeral?

How are you deducting it? Work expense?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Etrips posted:

How are you deducting it? Work expense?

Home office creates a whole bunch of great deductions if you qualify.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Anyone happen to know which chair is the most comfortable for lounging around / vidya gaming?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Etrips posted:

Anyone happen to know which chair is the most comfortable for lounging around / vidya gaming?

"Most comfortable" is a pretty subjective term. You're best off going into a store and trying different chairs out, much like choosing a good mouse. Just note that if you currently have bad posture, it does take a little bit of adjustment to a chair that encourages good posture.

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
I recently rearranged my room such that I can no longer comfortably watch stuff on my 24 inch PC monitor from my bed, but I find it a bit uncomfortable using my computer chair to to watch movies/tv shows.

Any tips on a really cushy and comfortable computer chair?

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Finding this pretty good to maintain posture and also cushy enough for lounging around in:

http://www.nightingalechairs.com/cxo_home.html

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Has anyone tried one of those Ball Chairs I see conflicting reports if they actually help or not.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Has anyone tried one of those Ball Chairs I see conflicting reports if they actually help or not.

Get a chair and a ball. Sometimes I just want to really concentrate on something and don't feel like loving around with a ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Out of the following options:

Ikea Markus - € 150
DX Racer F - € 200
Maxnomic Dominator - € 300

Most people here would recommend going with the Markus, I take it? I've skimmed the thread but admittedly have not read it page for page.