Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Would a chair labeled as "Steelcase 462 Leap LX" technically be a "V1" model?

I can't find anything distinctive to this labeling other than replacement parts on the Steelcase website which seem to indicate manufacturing in 2007.

Thanks

Edit for pic: http://images.craigslist.org/01414_4yyzdGpPOPE_600x450.jpg

HONKER24 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

HONKER24 posted:

Would a chair labeled as "Steelcase 462 Leap LX" technically be a "V1" model?

I can't find anything distinctive to this labeling other than replacement parts on the Steelcase website which seem to indicate manufacturing in 2007.

Thanks

Edit for pic: http://images.craigslist.org/01414_4yyzdGpPOPE_600x450.jpg

That is definitely a V1 as it has a rounded back. Whereas the V2 has a more rectangular shape to it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Etrips posted:

That is definitely a V1 as it has a rounded back. Whereas the V2 has a more rectangular shape to it.

Also the V2 has much more rectangular arms.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So after having the office master OM-5 for a while now I can no longer recommend the chair to fellow goons.

The armrests are not cushy and become very uncomfortable after an hour+ of use. Since I had to spend extra for these I am very surprised by that.

Coupled with the fact that the force required to lean back in the chair is unadjustable, and that it was clearly designed with overweight individuals in mind means I cannot lean back without applying constant pressure, and to just lean back comfortable would mean I would be vaulted back into an upright position.

For the cost of the chair, I am extremely disappointed.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Knifegrab posted:

So after having the office master OM-5 for a while now I can no longer recommend the chair to fellow goons.

The armrests are not cushy and become very uncomfortable after an hour+ of use. Since I had to spend extra for these I am very surprised by that.

Coupled with the fact that the force required to lean back in the chair is unadjustable, and that it was clearly designed with overweight individuals in mind means I cannot lean back without applying constant pressure, and to just lean back comfortable would mean I would be vaulted back into an upright position.

For the cost of the chair, I am extremely disappointed.

I agree with everything in this post. Corollary to the adjustableness thing, though, I have to flex my abs constantly to maintain anything above "fully reclined" and I used the secret trick to up the resistance of the back even.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Is that one ikea chair still the best way to break into the "not a peice of poo poo" computer chair industry?

edit: value wise

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I agree with everything in this post. Corollary to the adjustableness thing, though, I have to flex my abs constantly to maintain anything above "fully reclined" and I used the secret trick to up the resistance of the back even.

Is there a secret trick to reduce the resistance? I haven't heard of this trick.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Knifegrab posted:

Is there a secret trick to reduce the resistance? I haven't heard of this trick.
Sell it and buy a different chair. Magic!

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Anyone in here have an architect/trade hookup for discounts from Herman Miller? The rep told me the discount is 18% off and can be extended to me with a simple email.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Knifegrab posted:

There's a pair of bolts on either side of the tongue where the back attaches to the base. Loosen them, then slightly adjust the Allen bolt retaining the tongue. Then retighten them.

That one OM5 seller in here asked me to keep that quiet but he's basically disappeared and he severely misrepresented the shortcomings of the chair so I don't feel so bad about posting it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Progression Please posted:

Is that one ikea chair still the best way to break into the "not a peice of poo poo" computer chair industry?

edit: value wise

I got a lightly used Steelcase chair off craigslist for ~$70 so you could also poke around the second hand market.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There's a pair of bolts on either side of the tongue where the back attaches to the base. Loosen them, then slightly adjust the Allen bolt retaining the tongue. Then retighten them.

That one OM5 seller in here asked me to keep that quiet but he's basically disappeared and he severely misrepresented the shortcomings of the chair so I don't feel so bad about posting it.

Nah go nuts. I don't care if you tell everyone here about that if it helps them. I disappeared because I just haven't been on the SA forums much lately.

The OM5 is a good chair, but it is a very different design that doesn't work for everyone. I've never suggested it's the be-all end all of chairs. I honestly prefer our more traditional PT line. Check my post history in this thread - I NEVER brought up the OM5 first (except to brag about the PC Gamer article), other goons found it independently and asked me questions about it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah go nuts. I don't care if you tell everyone here about that if it helps them. I disappeared because I just haven't been on the SA forums much lately.

The OM5 is a good chair, but it is a very different design that doesn't work for everyone. I've never suggested it's the be-all end all of chairs. I honestly prefer our more traditional PT line. Check my post history in this thread - I NEVER brought up the OM5 first (except to brag about the PC Gamer article), other goons found it independently and asked me questions about it.

I mean you kind of directly misrepresented it to me as a good chair for me to promote good posture because I would "move around in it":

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Depends on a few things - I'd need your height and general build to make a recommendation, and if you have any ergo issues or things like extra-long torso/legs etc. And whether you like more traditional office chairs (with a bunch of paddles) or not adjusting at all. The OM5 is a great chair that works for a wider range of people than just about any other chair, but it's not the perfect chair for everyone.

Knifegrab posted:

Also as to me physically, I am 5'9", 130 lbs. I don't really have any huge issues other than having god awful posture. I would like adjustability but really only for armrests and seat height.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But the OM5 is a fine choice, and it will help with your posture as it encourages you to move around more instead of staying stuck in one position for hours.

When in reality my height and weight makes the lean back feature completely unusable and impractical. I mean sure, I guess its a good workout for my back because I sure do have to struggle to keep it leaning. So unless I want a chair that is also an excercise machine, yeah I am still "stuck in one position for hours".

Going to try the fix, though that sounds to me like something that only makes the back tension stronger. But who knows!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm genuinely sorry it didn't work for you. Not sure what else to say, except that I hope the tension adjust trick works out.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
The underlying problem is that there are severely limited opportunities to try high end chairs in a retail setting. I bought a used Leap v2 after lurking this thread for some time, and it just didn't work out for me, despite it clearly being a high end, well designed chair. I don't know, in the future I am just going to strictly adhere to a philosophy of try before buying. That can't be emphasized enough.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bathtub Cheese posted:

The underlying problem is that there are severely limited opportunities to try high end chairs in a retail setting. I bought a used Leap v2 after lurking this thread for some time, and it just didn't work out for me, despite it clearly being a high end, well designed chair. I don't know, in the future I am just going to strictly adhere to a philosophy of try before buying. That can't be emphasized enough.

I agree with this sentiment. Pretty much the only reason I stick with my Aeron is because it's literally the chair I had at my last job and took it with me as part of my severance when I got laid off, otherwise I would have bought one. Before then I was buying chairs based on others' reviews only to be disappointed immensely.

Everyone's got a different butt. :iiam:

Edit: I would be lying if I didn't think about getting the OM5, but recent posts have curbed that.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 3, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any London goons after a chair would be well served by just wandering around Farringdon. It's hard to move for all the office furniture showrooms, especially during design week.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just get a Embody and be done with it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I've been reading the thread a while, but I am looking for something kind of modern that I have seen in some dramas. I was hoping to find a two-tone, high back computer chair that doesn't necessarily have to be posture forcing. Price doesn't matter. When you google "high back executive chair" or compute chair you get something approximating the low-end version of such a chair, but it seems like something a redneck would have in their basement with a Dale Earnhardt sticker slapped on rather than a modern, sleep, high-rise office furniture.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm genuinely sorry it didn't work for you. Not sure what else to say, except that I hope the tension adjust trick works out.

Honestly I understand where you are coming from. Just make sure in the future you realize that the tension on this thing is actually a surprisingly narrow range in terms of the range of people it supports. If it weren't for that, I could totally deal with the arm rests not being the best, but it just kinda defeats the whole chair. Hopefully I can get a good craigslist deal.

Ugh I need a socket wrench to try the secret fix but I don't have any... looks like I'm going to home depot soon.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 4, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I've been reading the thread a while, but I am looking for something kind of modern that I have seen in some dramas. I was hoping to find a two-tone, high back computer chair that doesn't necessarily have to be posture forcing. Price doesn't matter. When you google "high back executive chair" or compute chair you get something approximating the low-end version of such a chair, but it seems like something a redneck would have in their basement with a Dale Earnhardt sticker slapped on rather than a modern, sleep, high-rise office furniture.

Etrips posted:

Just get a Embody and be done with it.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Anyone know what model this may be? Craiglist add for Aeron Chair that I'm interested in.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

shizen posted:

Anyone know what model this may be? Craiglist add for Aeron Chair that I'm interested in.

There's only been one Herman Miller Aeron. What's different would be the size (at a glance, looks like B), control levers (hard to see with that picture) and if it has adjustable arms or not, which that particular one has.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
What're people's opinions of the Steelcase Think? There's a lightly used one available in my area for $200 and I'm wondering if I should jump on it (was going to go with the Ikea Markus otherwise).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I sit in one nearly every day, it's pretty nice.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Neurostorm posted:

What're people's opinions of the Steelcase Think? There's a lightly used one available in my area for $200 and I'm wondering if I should jump on it (was going to go with the Ikea Markus otherwise).

I've had mine for 1.5 years and I'd say definitely grab it for $200.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

I sit in front of my PC all day basically. I sit in front of it at work and when I get home I game and I'm also in front of a PC. I recently moved apartments and right now I'm sitting on an old rear end wooden chair and I wanna get a proper nice office chair or something. I was looking at getting something like this: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=desktop

But I wanted to check if you guys might know of a really good chair that might be cheaper than that one and possibly a lot better. After long hours at my new job I started getting neck pains and it's been a real issue lately. So ideally I would need a chair with good neck support.

Anyone got any recommendations or do you think that the chair I linked will be more than good enough?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Are you actually in Germany? Because I imagine that would substantially change the prices on things.

The chair you linked is decent--probably not on par with some of the more "professional" chairs people swoon over in this thread, but it's also obviously 1/3 to 1/5th the price (if you can find a Steelcase for $200, by all means get it!). It's reasonably soft without being squishy, and I find the one my wife has to be pretty comfortable for extended periods. Hard to tell what exact model it is, but if it's the R-series, it's reasonably small; if you're more than 5'10" or 200lbs, you probably want something bigger. It's also not the easiest to lean back / rock, so if that's something you really want out of a chair, you should probably move on. Otherwise neither I nor my wife have any major complaints about it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Neck pain is generally related to poor computer positioning. When you are looking at your monitor while seated, you want to be looking at the top 1/3 portion of the monitor. I'm willing to bet that you are either craning your neck down or up a bit to look at your monitor. You typically do not want a headrest on chairs.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

DrDork posted:

Are you actually in Germany? Because I imagine that would substantially change the prices on things.

The chair you linked is decent--probably not on par with some of the more "professional" chairs people swoon over in this thread, but it's also obviously 1/3 to 1/5th the price (if you can find a Steelcase for $200, by all means get it!). It's reasonably soft without being squishy, and I find the one my wife has to be pretty comfortable for extended periods. Hard to tell what exact model it is, but if it's the R-series, it's reasonably small; if you're more than 5'10" or 200lbs, you probably want something bigger. It's also not the easiest to lean back / rock, so if that's something you really want out of a chair, you should probably move on. Otherwise neither I nor my wife have any major complaints about it.

Thanks! Sounds like it would be a good buy for me. The Steelcase chairs people are going nuts over is a bit out of my price range for now.

Etrips posted:

Neck pain is generally related to poor computer positioning. When you are looking at your monitor while seated, you want to be looking at the top 1/3 portion of the monitor. I'm willing to bet that you are either craning your neck down or up a bit to look at your monitor. You typically do not want a headrest on chairs.

Did not know this. Why wouldn't I want a headrest? Also my gf keeps telling me I am craning my neck and I have been working on trying to fix my posture/positioning. Always unsure how to position the monitor :/

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Pixelslol posted:

Did not know this. Why wouldn't I want a headrest? Also my gf keeps telling me I am craning my neck and I have been working on trying to fix my posture/positioning. Always unsure how to position the monitor :/

Mmm cannot remember off the top of my head. I think it promotes laziness or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It weakens your neck muscles.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
switching to a standing work bench setup, whats a good stool for the times i do decide to get off my feet

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is the v1 leap still a good choice? There is one on Craigslist for $80.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is the v1 leap still a good choice? There is one on Craigslist for $80.

At that price it's a good chair, just make sure to sit in it and test the settings to make sure everything works.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any hard to find adjustments, or is it all obvious levers?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any hard to find adjustments, or is it all obvious levers?

If it's like my v2 then it's a combination of knobs, paddles and levers, they are all fairly obvious.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I sent an email, now I just have to hope it didn't get sold within the past 4 days.

e: Bought it, got it, enjoying it. I still need to finish adjusting it, but I already got it pretty comfortable. Much better for posture than the one I've been using for so long. I'm going to miss being able to just lounge while watching netflix on it, but I guess that's what my recliner is for.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 15, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is there a generally agreed upon best chair list for the $150-200 range? I've been in a dire need for a new chair after my old one literally broke in half, but I really don't have the budget to go for the $300 Steelcase Leaps on craigslist right now. Even $200 is stretching a bit, but if the chair is that worth it I could go that high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

pandaK posted:

Is there a generally agreed upon best chair list for the $150-200 range? I've been in a dire need for a new chair after my old one literally broke in half, but I really don't have the budget to go for the $300 Steelcase Leaps on craigslist right now. Even $200 is stretching a bit, but if the chair is that worth it I could go that high.

It seems like unless you luck out used, the Markus is the winner there.

I've got one and it's certainly the most comfortable I've had in a while.