Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Backov posted:

It seems like unless you luck out used, the Markus is the winner there.

I've got one and it's certainly the most comfortable I've had in a while.

This looks nice, is it worth paying the extra $20 for the leather cover? I'm not too knowledgeable on the differences between that and the fabric they use for the $179 version.

Also I've looked up a few reviews on it. Everything sounds okay, but by little to no adjustability, does that mean this chair doesn't have that function where you can pull out the height adjuster and lean back on the chair?

e: I guess leaning back in a wire mesh chair would inherently be a bad idea...

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Leather cover is personal preference. A chair is perfectly fine with fabric instead of leather, so go without unless you really want it for some reason.

Like most chairs, the Markus has adjustments to control how much weight it takes to lean back, tilt locking, and seat height, but that's about it for customizing the seat. Fancier chairs will have more stuff (armrest height and position, lumbar support position, seat depth, etc.) but those extras will inflate the price significantly.

Don't worry about leaning back on mesh, a lot of the high end chairs use a mesh of some sort to improve breathability.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

During extended sessions at the desk, my trapezius usually becomes sore. What does it indicate I should look into adjusting?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I didn't have any retail stores near me, so I ended up going to a corporate dealer with a showroom to try out a bunch of Herman Miller chairs. I sat in the Embody first and there was no looking back.

However, they gave me a random small business discount that I neither asked for or knew about. So shortly I'll have a new Embody for around $800 w/ tax. Got to pick all the colors.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Josh Lyman posted:

During extended sessions at the desk, my trapezius usually becomes sore. What does it indicate I should look into adjusting?

Maybe the arm rests. If they raise your arms up and hunch your shoulders, then lower them. If your arms don't reach them at all, raise them so you can rest your arms on them.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Josh Lyman posted:

The height of your monitor in relationship to your head or the height of your keyboard in relationship to your elbows.

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-an-Ergonomically-Correct-Workstation something along these lines

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Has anybody used fabric dye to do touchups on their chair? I've tried spot cleaning the area with detergent but the stain won't go away.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been looking at the used chairs on Amazon. Some decent deals there. I'm looking at a used chair from "DesignerSeating." Some of the chairs they're selling are 60% off market price. Has anyone bought from them in the past? They've got 1700 positive reviews and no negative reviews. I'm worried that since they have no negative reviews at all that all their reviews are fake.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I scored a slightly used Steelcase Leap V2 for $220 off of Craigslist the other day. It's already loads better than the old leather seat crushed into a diamond chair that I had before. I was really amazed by how modular they are. The guy who sold it to me has a side business where he buys broken Leap's and Aeron's and pieces together new ones. Pretty much everything on the chair can be replaced if it goes bad. The guy even warrantied the chair for another 3 years. Anyone who was thinking of splurging and getting one should go for it. Well worth the money when you consider how much time you could end up sitting there.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Can anyone comment on office chairs available from Costco, especially for in store purchase? My Aeron broke and I need something while I figure out repairs.

Also, does anyone know about Aeron repairs? The pivot bolt ripped out of the seat pan. It seems to be the old (pre '02) thick style. My chair is built from the pieces of several broken chairs, so I know plenty about assembly and disassembly. I also discovered that Aerons don't glue or epoxy well, so I am not too optimistic about making a lasting repair on a load bearing joint.

At worst I suspect I can ebay the broken chair for a decent amount.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The chairs at Costco have always been generic executive chairs whenever I looked. The display models invariably show themselves as not being able to withstand any level of abuse.

I would say the Markus is a better option if you need a new chair on a budget and can't get or don't want used.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Aquila posted:

Can anyone comment on office chairs available from Costco, especially for in store purchase? My Aeron broke and I need something while I figure out repairs.

Also, does anyone know about Aeron repairs? The pivot bolt ripped out of the seat pan. It seems to be the old (pre '02) thick style. My chair is built from the pieces of several broken chairs, so I know plenty about assembly and disassembly. I also discovered that Aerons don't glue or epoxy well, so I am not too optimistic about making a lasting repair on a load bearing joint.

Costco chairs are all just plywood, sometimes wrapped in some cushioning. When I've used them, they generally break or become too broken in to sit in comfortably after 6-8 months.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Costco chairs are all just plywood, sometimes wrapped in some cushioning. When I've used them, they generally break or become too broken in to sit in comfortably after 6-8 months.

I have seen the occasional herman miller low end chair at Costco, but selection seems to vary wildly. Most of them I would agree are standard cheap garbage chairs.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Aquila posted:

If its load bearing I'm assuming its a bolt going into a metal hole that stripped out? If so, you should be able to drill/tap the hole to accept the next size larger bolt. If not, post a picture of what happened.

*Not a chair mechanic, but I did repair a cheap office chair this way once.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Backov posted:

It seems like unless you luck out used, the Markus is the winner there.

I've got one and it's certainly the most comfortable I've had in a while.

Is this referring to the Ikea chair? I have about 150$ to spend on a new chair to replace this 40$ thing I bought at WalMart two years ago. What should I buy?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Aquila posted:

Never seen anything in-store that wasn't garbage. I did snag a DXRacer chair off their online store but I live in Canada so I'm not sure it's also in the states.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

black.lion posted:

Is this referring to the Ikea chair? I have about 150$ to spend on a new chair to replace this 40$ thing I bought at WalMart two years ago. What should I buy?

Yep. I'm pretty happy with the Ikea Markus. Much better than anything I've had for a while.

But if you're in a spot where you can get cheap Steelcase Leaps or whatever, try for that first I'd say.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So I got a new chair recently, but I'm not sure its doing it for me. I have issues with cubital tunnel, and the way my arm rests are my elbows rest right on the arm rest. Are there any good, cheaper, chairs that have arm rests that are height adjustable and only rest the forearm?

Budget is likely less than $200

isndl
May 2, 2012
The only chair I can think of with adjustable arms on a sub $200 budget would be the Ikea Volmar. I don't know if that exactly covers your needs, either. You may have to go trawling for used Criterions or whatever.

e: Actually, a Volmar with armrests is about $209. You're likely going to need to stretch your budget or get really lucky on a used chair in your area.

isndl fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 3, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

isndl posted:

The only chair I can think of with adjustable arms on a sub $200 budget would be the Ikea Volmar. I don't know if that exactly covers your needs, either. You may have to go trawling for used Criterions or whatever.

e: Actually, a Volmar with armrests is about $209. You're likely going to need to stretch your budget or get really lucky on a used chair in your area.

What are other good chair options? I have a chair from Staples right now and I think I have learned my lesson. I can potentially do more, just have to budget it out for a few months or something.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
What's the general consensus on DXRacers? They look like giant ridiculous pieces of wank, but if they're comfy and they double down as looking ridiculous I'm all for it. Other than those, barring something from the office store I live next to having something am i better off buying something from Ikea and having it shipped to my house like say the Volmar or the Markus?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Luna Was Here posted:

What's the general consensus on DXRacers? They look like giant ridiculous pieces of wank, but if they're comfy and they double down as looking ridiculous I'm all for it. Other than those, barring something from the office store I live next to having something am i better off buying something from Ikea and having it shipped to my house like say the Volmar or the Markus?

I have one. It's pretty good. As far as I can tell, they're basically in the lower-mid range between decent but cheap chairs like the Markus and the really good but expensive ones.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

I have one. It's pretty good. As far as I can tell, they're basically in the lower-mid range between decent but cheap chairs like the Markus and the really good but expensive ones.

For real? I'm just sorta theorizing right now and peeping around but I think I'll wait for the next time they're on Massdrop, hopefully I'll have funds for it next time. They seem to pop up every so often so if I can snag one off of there I'm 100% going for it, that 25% off is to good

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Luna Was Here posted:

For real? I'm just sorta theorizing right now and peeping around but I think I'll wait for the next time they're on Massdrop, hopefully I'll have funds for it next time. They seem to pop up every so often so if I can snag one off of there I'm 100% going for it, that 25% off is to good

I can't give you an actual comparison between this and a Leap or anything super fancy but it's way better than the cheapo Staples one I used to use. I tried the Ikea chairs at the store but they were a little small and felt a bit lighter cushioning-wise compared to the DXRacer. Feature-wise, the only thing they lack compared to some fancier ergonomic chairs is seat depth. I'm not sure how the lumbar/headrest compare to their counterparts either but it's definitely better than no support at all. The best answer is to try one out if you can find a place. Up here in Canada, Costco stocks them so I wasn't afraid to order one due to their generous return policy.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I bought a Markus and it arrived last week. It was simple to put together and it's so much better than my old chair that was probably a few months away from falling apart. So yeah, I recommend getting one if you can't find a better chair for cheaper.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I guess one thing I would be really looking for is a larger seat cushion. I have long legs (im 6'3" and its like 60% leg 40% torso/head)and I like sitting cross legged and this is only sorta possible in my current chair so if I can get that in a chair I'd be happy but if not I'm able to live without it.

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 13, 2015

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Both the HM Embody and the Nightingale CXO have huge seat cushions.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Solely because of this thread I actually went out to find a used office furniture store (of which, to my shock, there were tons of with thousands of chairs) and ended up buying a Steelcase Amia for $225. So far I'm really digging it, although I generally prefer a higher back chair the immediately obvious difference in quality made me opt for the smaller Steelcase option hands down. Condition seems near perfect minus scuffing on the wheel ... arms (legs?).

Anyway, thanks thread, if it weren't for you I'd probably be in another similarly priced total POS

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes rubber casters for the Herman Miller Aeron Black line of chairs?

I'm so tired of grinding dirt into my hardwood floors from the plastic ones that came with their chair, also they are loud as hell when I roll across the floor :(

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Wicaeed posted:

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes rubber casters for the Herman Miller Aeron Black line of chairs?

I'm so tired of grinding dirt into my hardwood floors from the plastic ones that came with their chair, also they are loud as hell when I roll across the floor :(

Casters are pretty standardized and they should be pretty easy to find with the proper stem size. Just look for some designed for hardwood floors. They'll be made from softer compound than the hard plastic ones chairs come with stock (usually polyurethane instead of nylon).

For example: http://www.amazon.com/Rolland-Extra-Office-Caster-Hardwood/dp/B00FWUR5DS

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 19, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Wicaeed posted:

A friend of mine got casters for his chair made out of rollerblade wheels. They're quiet, don't mark up his floor, and are better at rolling over transitions if you have any. I've been meaning to buy some from Amazon but I've been too lazy to measure my stems.

Probably a set of these: http://amzn.com/B011PPMJN4

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 19, 2015

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Thanks to this thread I bought my first real office chair. A 1996 Aeron off of Craigslist for $200. It has the old style adjustable screw arms, and I had to disassemble and tighten one arm to get it to stay in place. The previous owner had a wooden dowel stuck into it to hold it up. Now it seems to work perfectly. The lumbar support is also falling apart but I like it better without it. Only other issue is there's some wobble on the main cylinder, but I bought a cylinder repair kit off Amazon which I think will correct the issue.

Anyone have any guides on how to install the parts when they get here? The videos I've found on youtube are low resolution and really terrible.

edit: Does anyone know the thickness of the silver washer on the bottom of the cylinder? I can't find a measurement online anywhere.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 21, 2015

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

SpartanIV posted:

Thanks to this thread I bought my first real office chair. A 1996 Aeron off of Craigslist for $200. It has the old style adjustable screw arms, and I had to disassemble and tighten one arm to get it to stay in place. The previous owner had a wooden dowel stuck into it to hold it up. Now it seems to work perfectly. The lumbar support is also falling apart but I like it better without it. Only other issue is there's some wobble on the main cylinder, but I bought a cylinder repair kit off Amazon which I think will correct the issue.

Anyone have any guides on how to install the parts when they get here? The videos I've found on youtube are low resolution and really terrible.

edit: Does anyone know the thickness of the silver washer on the bottom of the cylinder? I can't find a measurement online anywhere.

That washer has been universally the exact same on every chair I've owned (though I can't be assed to check on this embody).

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Well the generic washer that came with my cylinder repair kit was too thick, but there was a silver washer inside the cylinder that fit the bill, so I reused it under the clip and it's back together and functioning perfect now.

It took a few days to grow on me but I'm really loving the chair now. Just wish I could have found one that was polished aluminum. Those seem to be uncommon and command a premium when they do appear though.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
is there any way to take apart the casters on an Aeron for cleaning? I happened to notice today how completely gunked up they are, but getting at a lot of the grime on the axle is going to be a struggle with patience if I can't get the wheels off.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

is anyone familiar with a brand called akracing? They look a lot like DXracer, but they seem to be around 50€ cheaper or so.
They look pretty similar otherwise.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Could I potentially damage an IKEA Markus if I removed the wheels and just had it stand on the stand? The chair's perfect besides the fact that it's about 2 inches taller than I need it to be. Seemed kind of like a minor question, but I was just worrying a bit about how the ends of the stand were kind of a bit too pointy to sit on.

e: oh wait, I failed to regard the center cylinder thing. I guess it's just not possible :(

ee: actually I think this could work if I got some wheel replacements. Instead of wheels, maybe something like pads or something? Are those a thing and if so, what are they called?

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 30, 2015

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Protip for Markus users:
To adjust the lumbar support upward -
1. Remove back from base
2. Remove bracket from back
3. Remove cover from back
4. Remove lumbar cushion and rotate such that the thicker part is up and the zipper is facing backward
5. Reinstall support, cover, bracket, and back.

While the cover is off you can also remove the headrest pad and thin it out. I found my neck was craning forward too much.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Anybody in Dallas looking for a great condition Steelcase Amia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

organburner posted:

is anyone familiar with a brand called akracing? They look a lot like DXracer, but they seem to be around 50€ cheaper or so.
They look pretty similar otherwise.

Yep. I bought a Player series (in eye-searing green) and I'm pretty happy with it. Only real negatives I have to say are the tilt spring is incredibly stiff so it's hard to get it to really lean back at all and the plastic covers where the back attaches to the base don't really line up that well, but you don't notice that while sitting in it. The chair feels solid as gently caress since the back and base use steel frames, then there's a good layer of padding over the top to make it pretty comfortable. If you've got big thighs though the seats are pretty narrow and you might find the wings cut into your legs a bit.