Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Now that I'm working from home, I'm looking to upgrade. I like the look and style of the Aeron, but not the price tag.

The Alera Elusion was touted as an alternative, any opinions or other suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049UCECE

Or should I just sack up and expect to spend $1000? I saw one or two used Aerons at 300-375, but they seem to be the basic model and not the fully adjustable?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Deviant posted:

Now that I'm working from home, I'm looking to upgrade. I like the look and style of the Aeron, but not the price tag.

The Alera Elusion was touted as an alternative, any opinions or other suggestions?

Or should I just sack up and expect to spend $1000? I saw one or two used Aerons at 300-375, but they seem to be the basic model and not the fully adjustable?

That thing has the same cheap recline spring setup as 99% of the Chinese garbage at Office Depot. There is nothing special about this one. It's four bolts going into plywood just like everything else.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Pick up a used Embody for around $700 and be set for life.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Etrips posted:

Pick up a used Embody for around $700 and be set for life.

A search for "Embody chair" on craigslist locally turns up nothing. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Deviant posted:

A search for "Embody chair" on craigslist locally turns up nothing. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

http://nationalofficeinteriors.com/product-category/herman-miller/embody/

Looks like they upped their price a little to $800.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

If this site is legit, I could just get my Aeron from them, too. I'll poke around.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Deviant posted:

I got my aeron for 399 with all the fancy upgrades. It's possible to find em in that price range. I think even the base model would be solid, and you can always add the extra bits later on.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

I got my aeron for 399 with all the fancy upgrades. It's possible to find em in that price range. I think even the base model would be solid, and you can always add the extra bits later on.

I really wanted to have the adjustable armrests is all, I got used to having them at work.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Deviant posted:

I really wanted to have the adjustable armrests is all, I got used to having them at work.

don't blame you, I love em on mine.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

I was lucky enough two years ago to use an embody for a week or so when my office went to aeron chairs. I swore i'd buy one but my company gifted me one of the old chairs and I went remote so I procrastinated. I finally did it and the pressure is gone and the relief is very noticeable after only 2 days. I felt my old chair was comfortable too, I guess I was doing it all wrong. Don't wait if your job is all sitting.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I just got a Leap, it's acting like the height adjustment is always being held down. When it's empty it always rises to the top, when someone's sitting in it, it sinks to the bottom.

Is this a common / easy thing to fix or do I have to gently caress around with warranties now?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Serenade posted:

I just got a Leap, it's acting like the height adjustment is always being held down. When it's empty it always rises to the top, when someone's sitting in it, it sinks to the bottom.

Is this a common / easy thing to fix or do I have to gently caress around with warranties now?

That sounds like a broken gas spring, call Steelcase, iirc they will send a technician who will fix it on site.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

I got it from Madison Seating, will Steelcase still fix it or do I have to go though them?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Serenade posted:

I got it from Madison Seating, will Steelcase still fix it or do I have to go though them?

Unless you bought it new from Steelcase or a licensed reseller it's not warrantied with Steelcase. Madison Seating is not a licensed Steelcase reseller so you will need to go through them, they do have a 30 day return policy with free return shipping so if you just got it you should be able to do a return or exchange fairly painlessly.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Bummer. Well let this be a story of buyer beware, or too good to be true, or whatever.

EDIT: Thought after this return goes though, I can instead go for one direct from them with a mesh backing and no arm rests, so I guess this isn't all bad.

Serenade fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 2, 2016

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
This has probably been posted...

I've rarely seen people pay MSRP for Herman Miller chairs. In my area (Toronto, Canada) a few people I know (myself included) have bought from Business Interiors (http://www.businessinteriors.ca/) and never paid nearly what's claimed as the MSRP. Whether they're applying the Herman Miller discount is for architects/graphic designers or whatever, I don't know. I've bought two Embody chairs separately from them for around 800 $ Canadian. That was without customization but I'm happy with what I got. I'm just saying it's worthwhile emailing places locally to see what they can do for you. In my case the Embody was cheaper than the Aeron and Mirra.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Looking at chairs to replace my several year old Costco special. Looks like the Leap v2 and Aeron are about 500-600 bucks, is there a recommendation for one over the other? I'm looking for comfortable and durable.

And on the Leap v2, leather vs cloth?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

FunOne posted:

Looking at chairs to replace my several year old Costco special. Looks like the Leap v2 and Aeron are about 500-600 bucks, is there a recommendation for one over the other? I'm looking for comfortable and durable.

FWIW, I like the cloth on my Leap 2. The Leap is a "standard" chair, the Aeron uses this suspended mesh "pellicle" design that I hear is love-it-or-hate-it. You should be able to find used Leaps for less than what you quoted.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FunOne posted:

I like my Leap v2, never used the Aeron. Cloth is more durable in the long run than leather and breathes better so I say cloth.

Also the Leap is built like a tank, really, really solid.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

FWIW, I like the cloth on my Leap 2. The Leap is a "standard" chair, the Aeron uses this suspended mesh "pellicle" design that I hear is love-it-or-hate-it. You should be able to find used Leaps for less than what you quoted.

I've used the Aeron before at previous jobs, so unless they've changed it in the last 8 years I'm fine with the setup, as long as it'll survive 6-10 years.

Unfortunately, I hate buying used without being able to inspect and my small town only has a handful of used furniture places. For the prices to drive into a bigger town to hunt I might as well buy a new one. Obviously this changes for the 1k+ chairs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FunOne posted:

I've used the Aeron before at previous jobs, so unless they've changed it in the last 8 years I'm fine with the setup, as long as it'll survive 6-10 years.

Unfortunately, I hate buying used without being able to inspect and my small town only has a handful of used furniture places. For the prices to drive into a bigger town to hunt I might as well buy a new one. Obviously this changes for the 1k+ chairs.

Well, the Leap comes with a 15 year warranty so it should certainly last a long time.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, the Leap comes with a 15 year warranty so it should certainly last a long time.

I was wrong, I was looking at Madison Seating which appears to be a re-seller of used chairs. Is that still a good deal? Looks like I could get a Leap 2 for about 500.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FunOne posted:

I was wrong, I was looking at Madison Seating which appears to be a re-seller of used chairs. Is that still a good deal? Looks like I could get a Leap 2 for about 500.

Read up the thread, someone just recently had a pretty bad experience with them. Also you get no warranty if you buy from them.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Read up the thread, someone just recently had a pretty bad experience with them. Also you get no warranty if you buy from them.

So, what would be a recommended internet vendor?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FunOne posted:

So, what would be a recommended internet vendor?

Other than buying one new from Steelcase directly? I don't really know of any, all the ones I do know of have questionable customer service, package the chairs badly and so on. I looked around for a few months myself before I just said gently caress it and bought mine from Steelcase.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Used steel case leap for $245 at the local use equipment place. Man this thing is comfy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I properly adjust my seat depth? Should the edge of the seat be contacting the opposite of my knees or what?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I properly adjust my seat depth? Should the edge of the seat be contacting the opposite of my knees or what?

The seat shouldn't be jammed into the back of your knees. A little gap is fine. Basically, whatever's comfortable for you while maintaining the other parameters: straight back and horizontal thighs & forearms, without having to reach for anything.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
Has anyone purchased the optional headrest on their leap v2? Do you all think it is worth the extra money?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nunes posted:

Has anyone purchased the optional headrest on their leap v2? Do you all think it is worth the extra money?

Headrests are generally bad for your posture / make you even lazier.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nunes posted:

That headrest is garbage. Any chair I sat in that had it I hated. It felt like it was trying to push my head into an unnatural position. Headrests are also bad and will weaken your neck muscles.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for the feedback, I never thought about that part.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
A friend of mine's office is getting rid of a chair for some reason, and knowing that I've been looking for one, they offered to give it to me. Based on the photo, I'm pretty sure it's a Teknion Contessa. Given that it's free, I'm certainly going to try it, but I'm curious what people think of this chair since it wasn't one I was considering previously.

Also, it looks like it has a mesh seat, which I'm definitely not going to like. Does anyone know how I might go about getting the cloth seat and replacing it? (I'm in NYC.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TheEye posted:

A friend of mine's office is getting rid of a chair for some reason, and knowing that I've been looking for one, they offered to give it to me. Based on the photo, I'm pretty sure it's a Teknion Contessa. Given that it's free, I'm certainly going to try it, but I'm curious what people think of this chair since it wasn't one I was considering previously.

Also, it looks like it has a mesh seat, which I'm definitely not going to like. Does anyone know how I might go about getting the cloth seat and replacing it? (I'm in NYC.)

Mesh seats are lovely! Never get hot again....

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

mediaphage posted:

Mesh seats are lovely! Never get hot again....

Farting in an Aeron is pretty trippy the first few times you do it.

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013
I've been sitting in a lovely little chair that I picked up off the side of the road and staplegunned new fabric on for far too long (any time is too long), while my housemate sits across from me in an Aeron. I might be able to get a Haworth Zody for "$499AUD Negotiable" from a private seller. I'll see if I can test it out today, I'd appreciate it if anyone with experience with them could tell me what they think of it. Searching the thread only had a few little mentions.

If I was anywhere in the US or even Syd/Melb I could probably find better deals for that price, but I'm in Brisbane, a city with no chairs so I am willing to run with it. (except at the State Library where they have Humanscale Liberty chairs with gel seats and every addon, holy poo poo my tax $$$$ but man they are perfect).

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I actually picked up a Haworth Zody about a year ago from a liquidator here in Florida. It's nice, certainty better than the Herman Miller task chair it replaced (I think it was an Aqua or something?). The only complaint I have is although the arm rests are very customizable, moving forward/backward and left/right, they don't lock. So they move around a lot and you're adjusting them a lot. Also the rubber coating on one of them cracked (I think my cat scratched it) and it very very rapidly deteriorated to falling off.

I got the chair for $130 USD and I feel it was very worth it. I sit in it for 4-5 hours every day, longer on days I don't work. Good back support, comfortable seating. I like it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I'm going to go take a look at these three today from the same seller, any thoughts from Aeron experts?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/fuo/5605890311.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/fuo/5605888387.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/fuo/5576577970.html

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Deviant posted:

I'm going to go take a look at these three today from the same seller, any thoughts from Aeron experts?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/fuo/5605890311.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/fuo/5605888387.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/fuo/5576577970.html

What's up, fellow Orlando goon. I can't speak for Aerons but this is the place I got the Zody I mentioned in my last post. The website is very dated but they claim to have Aerons. I just dropped by one day and the workers were very friendly, but Aerons were out of my price range regardless so I didn't ask. Might not hurt to give them a call though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Humerus posted:

What's up, fellow Orlando goon. I can't speak for Aerons but this is the place I got the Zody I mentioned in my last post. The website is very dated but they claim to have Aerons. I just dropped by one day and the workers were very friendly, but Aerons were out of my price range regardless so I didn't ask. Might not hurt to give them a call though.

I ended up buying the $320 one with the scuffing. It was in great shape otherwise. Now getting used to it.