Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Hey guys, are there any reputable online places to look for quality chairs (Aeron, Leap, etc) in the $300-400 range, or maybe a good base model that's in that range? I'm setting up some craigslist watches setup for the major names, but so far no dice, and the liquidators yielded nothing but some serious beat up Aerons that I couldn't talk them any lower than $450 for, so I passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

NickPancakes posted:

Hey guys, are there any reputable online places to look for quality chairs (Aeron, Leap, etc) in the $300-400 range, or maybe a good base model that's in that range? I'm setting up some craigslist watches setup for the major names, but so far no dice, and the liquidators yielded nothing but some serious beat up Aerons that I couldn't talk them any lower than $450 for, so I passed.

New? You will never see that. 300-400 is gonna be used only territory and most online places don't sell used because they're authorized resellers and will only sell new chairs.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://omaha.craigslist.org/fuo/5618711176.html

Think I should grab one? My current cheap office depot chair is dying. I think we had these in the labs at college.

I'd ask about the cracking first, of course.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PerrineClostermann posted:

https://omaha.craigslist.org/fuo/5618711176.html

Think I should grab one? My current cheap office depot chair is dying. I think we had these in the labs at college.

I'd ask about the cracking first, of course.

I think you're seriously asking internet forum goers if you should spend fifteen dollars as if it's going to put you in the poorhouse.

But also the cracking might be on the rear end part in which case I wouldn't touch it.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 7, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Deviant posted:

I think you're seriously asking internet forum goers if you should spend fifteen dollars as if it's going to put you in the poorhouse.

Craigslist usually involves more effort than just spending the cash, and what I'm wondering about is more the quality of that model of chair in general. We have enough junk in the house already.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Not really a chair question but does anyone have recommendations for an attachable keyboard tray? I have one of those ikea desks with a glass top so it'd have to be something that clamps. I'm a college student so I'd prefer it to be on the cheaper side if possible.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm tall I have bad posture I use my chair a lot. Where do I start?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Get a chair with strong lumbar support and no headrest . Don't slouch when you're sitting.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nevvy Z posted:

A desk that you can crank the height up on.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I go an old aeron recently and I am always leaning back in it because it sorta hurts my back when I sit in it too long. It doesn't have a lumbar anything and I was wondering if that would help. I locked out the reclining for a bit to see if it would feel any better and there isn't much improvement. I do planks and stuff to keep my core strong but sitting a long time just starts to feel pretty lovely after even 30 minutes some time. Would a lumbar addition be worth it?

I feel like maybe the aeron just isn't the right "superchair" for me, like it's too hard or something. are other options out there any better? I thought the recommended steel case chairs looked a little more cushy because I am definitely not feeling like the aeron, or possibly any chair, is comfy compared to sitting in a hammock or lazy boy or what have you.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Marzzle posted:

I go an old aeron recently and I am always leaning back in it because it sorta hurts my back when I sit in it too long. It doesn't have a lumbar anything and I was wondering if that would help. I locked out the reclining for a bit to see if it would feel any better and there isn't much improvement. I do planks and stuff to keep my core strong but sitting a long time just starts to feel pretty lovely after even 30 minutes some time. Would a lumbar addition be worth it?

I feel like maybe the aeron just isn't the right "superchair" for me, like it's too hard or something. are other options out there any better? I thought the recommended steel case chairs looked a little more cushy because I am definitely not feeling like the aeron, or possibly any chair, is comfy compared to sitting in a hammock or lazy boy or what have you.

My Steel Case Leap V2 has very good back support, the seat is not very cushy but it's shaped in such a way that it conforms really well to your butt and thighs, you will get a sore but if you sit like all day long without ever getting up and taking a break but I think that is just something that can't really be helped.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

My Steel Case Leap V2 has very good back support, the seat is not very cushy but it's shaped in such a way that it conforms really well to your butt and thighs, you will get a sore but if you sit like all day long without ever getting up and taking a break but I think that is just something that can't really be helped.

Can you compare it with an aeron? The armrests are sorta overhars for my seating position as well

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Marzzle posted:

Can you compare it with an aeron? The armrests are sorta overhars for my seating position as well

I've never used an Aeron so no, I'm afraid I can't. The arm rests on the Leap V2 are very adjustable, they can be moved up and down, forward and back, inwards and outwards and rotated a little bit, you can adjust all that very easily while sitting so I adjust them based on my sitting position throughout the day. They are covered in a sort of plastic/leather sort of material and firm but with some give to them, I really like them though I wish the padding was a little thicker.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just ordered a markus because it seems impossible to get anything better where I'm from without paying out of your eyeballs for shipping. My back has been killing me for the past few months and its really noticeable towards the tail end of a computer session or when I'm jogging. Usually when I have a lot of work in the field I'd barely notice the pain but after a few days at my house it starts to flare up.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friend wants a chair for $200. I don't think there are any specific requirements other than being the best he can get at that price. I'm wondering if I should tell him to try and find a used high-end one at an office liquidators. Any recommendations for a new one or a reliable source online for a used one?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

My friend wants a chair for $200. I don't think there are any specific requirements other than being the best he can get at that price. I'm wondering if I should tell him to try and find a used high-end one at an office liquidators. Any recommendations for a new one or a reliable source online for a used one?

IKEA Markus. It's 200 dollars and people like it. 10 year limited warranty.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

IKEA Markus. It's 200 dollars and people like it. 10 year limited warranty.
Man, that headrest looks really comfy for watching Youtube vids and Netflix.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Josh Lyman posted:

Man, that headrest looks really comfy for watching Youtube vids and Netflix.

Headrest is a good way to start getting some neck issues from getting used to being lazy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Etrips posted:

Headrest is a good way to start getting some neck issues from getting used to being lazy.
People in this thread keep saying that, but you aren't using the headrest all the time, just when you're reclined and watching stuff.

And isn't it still preferable to being hunched over?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It depends on how the headrest is set up. Where I used to work, some places had Leap V2s with the headrest attachment. The headrest stuck out enough that it pushed on my head just when sitting normally. Super annoying.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Josh Lyman posted:

People in this thread keep saying that, but you aren't using the headrest all the time, just when you're reclined and watching stuff.

And isn't it still preferable to being hunched over?

Don't have lovely posture which is kind of the point of getting a good chair?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Etrips posted:

Don't have lovely posture which is kind of the point of getting a good chair?

Some of us don't lock the seat back to the upright position and actually recline from time to time? :shrug:

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa

I've sat in this chair a few times and it's the best and I want it, does anybody know what it is? Image search is failing me.

Edit: It's a Steelcase Cachet 5 Star Chair. :-)

kuf fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 27, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's not going to be good to sit in for long periods of time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah that looks like a meeting room chair at best.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah that looks like a meeting room chair at best.

Actually it looks like a task chair.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I see a Steelcase Leap on ebay for $245 but that sounds too good to be true. Should I really just shell out the 3 times the price difference for a brand new steelcase?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Xeras posted:

I see a Steelcase Leap on ebay for $245 but that sounds too good to be true. Should I really just shell out the 3 times the price difference for a brand new steelcase?

I got a like new one on CL for $250. It's the brushed aluminum version too. The guy had 11 of them, just some start up that decided they didn't need a dedicated office space after having one for a month. I would be pretty nervous about ordering one online sight unseen, though.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I don't suppose anyone has experience buying a refurbished aeron in the UK? There seem to be a lot of businesses based in London who do them but frankly their websites look like they were made for geocities and I don't know how reputable they are. My other option is running around Scotland to visit the few aerons up for people have for sale on gumtree, I don't fancy driving up to Stirling to find out the chair looks like it was used by an incontinent dog.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly your best option is to find a place that lets you show up and look at what you're buying.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Unfortunately there really don't seem to be dealers in Scotland who have 2nd hand aerons. I've sat in new ones in john Lewis, I guess I may have to stick with trawling private sellers on gumtree and craigslist but even doing that there are almost none up for sale in Scotland. There is literally one in Glasgow and its scuffed to poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
To be honest, the aeron isn't that great. I sat in one for several months and it was comfortable I guess but you'd be better off getting a used steelcase leap or think or something.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Cojawfee posted:

To be honest, the aeron isn't that great. I sat in one for several months and it was comfortable I guess but you'd be better off getting a used steelcase leap or think or something.

Counterpoint: my used aeron is like having my butt hugged by a cloud

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Same, but with the cloud-to-butt browser extension.

Seriously, my Aeron is great. I'm plotting to get work to buy one for when I'm in the office.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Initially I actually fancied the steelcase chairs but for whatever reason the things seem much harder to find in the UK than any of the herman miller chairs. Even finding a dealer that sells them new is much harder. There are a few reupholstered V1 leaps on ebay but I think I may bite the bullet and spend £300-400 on a refurbished aeron. I'll go any annoy the sales staff in John Lewis again by parking my back side in their display models to see if it's as good as I remember. A new base model Aeron is over $1100 in the UK so I think its a gamble on a refurb or nothing.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Mr Teatime posted:

Unfortunately there really don't seem to be dealers in Scotland who have 2nd hand aerons. I've sat in new ones in john Lewis, I guess I may have to stick with trawling private sellers on gumtree and craigslist but even doing that there are almost none up for sale in Scotland. There is literally one in Glasgow and its scuffed to poo poo.

Get your arse down to IKEA and at least try a Volmar with arms on it, I got one and it is pretty great for the price (£200ish now?). Way cheaper than an aeron and imo quite adequate and adjustable.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
What is a reasonable price for fully-featured (arm-rest, lumbar support) refurbished 2014 Aeron chairs? My existing chair is a disposable pile of poo poo and I sat in one of these at my last job and loved it (but could never justify the price for a brand new one).

There's listing in my area for $399 - which seems like it is worth going to check out.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Any thoughts on comfort differences between the v1 and v2 leap? I've found somewhere that does them but a 2nd hand v2 is roughly £100 more than the v1. Is it worth going for the v2 given it has slightly different features and is likely to be more recently manufactured? I've read that some people think the v2 has a less comfortable back rest.

Also, if I like to shift position a lot during the day do you think the leaps are a better bet that the aeron? It does seem to want to make you sit in one position. Then again my shifting probably has a lot to do with how bad my current chair is.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

Any thoughts on comfort differences between the v1 and v2 leap? I've found somewhere that does them but a 2nd hand v2 is roughly £100 more than the v1. Is it worth going for the v2 given it has slightly different features and is likely to be more recently manufactured? I've read that some people think the v2 has a less comfortable back rest.

Also, if I like to shift position a lot during the day do you think the leaps are a better bet that the aeron? It does seem to want to make you sit in one position. Then again my shifting probably has a lot to do with how bad my current chair is.

I've got a Leap V2, and I've never sat in a V1 but I don't think the V2's worth a large price premium. They're close enough that if you got a really good deal on a V1 then go with that.

The Leap's a very good all-around chair. Aerons are nice but some people don't like the pellicle thing, so at the very least try one out for a while before making a purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Atomizer posted:

I've got a Leap V2, and I've never sat in a V1 but I don't think the V2's worth a large price premium. They're close enough that if you got a really good deal on a V1 then go with that.

The Leap's a very good all-around chair. Aerons are nice but some people don't like the pellicle thing, so at the very least try one out for a while before making a purchase.

I thought the Leap V1 had hard plastic arm-rests, those would be murder on my elbows.