Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I thought the Leap V1 had hard plastic arm-rests, those would be murder on my elbows.

Maybe, but even if that's the case you should easily be able to just swap them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
lol i was an idiot and put up with a squeaky aeron until I hit the caster stems with some silicone lubricant and now it's silent

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Bought an Embody (saved about $500 off retail via their Small Business, formerly S3, program). But it's going to take about 3 weeks to get here, so in the meantime I also bought an IKEA MALKOLM because it was $55.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

GokieKS posted:

Bought an Embody (saved about $500 off retail via their Small Business, formerly S3, program). But it's going to take about 3 weeks to get here, so in the meantime I also bought an IKEA MALKOLM because it was $55.

yay embody best chair master.... chair.... thing.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Welcome to the Embody master race.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have promised myself an Embody one day. For now I am getting by fine with a Think - I'm trying not to sit on an Embody because I know what will happen if I try one.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Yeah... I love the Embody both in comfort and in styling/design. I do kind of wish it had a headrest option (despite the assertion that it's bad ergonomically), but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Roommate moved away, convinced him to get an IKEA Markus as a thread favorite. Sat in one at the store, really liked it.

Still think the anti-headrest stance is ridiculous. Nobody is using it for normal use--it's for media consumption.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
A friend of mine had a DXRacer Classic that I sat in and liked quite a bit, so I ordered one for myself.

I set it up last night and the piston sinks in seconds :(

I'm well under the weight limit of the chair - same thing happens to my wife, who is much lighter than I am.

I put in a support ticket - I hope the horror stories about their support aren't true.

If this chair ends up being a lemon I'll just bite the bullet and order an Embody or something. I didn't want to drop $1200+ CAD on a chair but if the $500 chair doesn't cut it...

I hate pistons in chairs. The last 4 chairs I've had, fully half of them had an issue. Ranging from the cheap Staples brand poo poo chair to the IKEA one. Why don't we have a better solution for adjustable chair height yet?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The other solution was rotating the chair to change the height. Does the chair go back up when you get off it?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

The other solution was rotating the chair to change the height. Does the chair go back up when you get off it?

No, stays down. I'm going to take it apart and see if there's anything obvious, like the button on the cylinder being stuck.
The lever works to bring it back up, so I know the cylinder works, it just doesn't seem to hold any weight.
I'm really quite bummed, I was very excited for getting rid of my $60 Staples special with non adjustable armrests and poo poo padding.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That might be the universe trying to do you a favor. Those things are absurdly ugly.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Barry posted:

That might be the universe trying to do you a favor. Those things are absurdly ugly.

Oh, agreed. I found the least obnoxious one I could and it's still gaudy as hell. The wife offered to knit a custom cozy for it to cover the logos, even.
But it's also really comfy, which was sort of the point - I work from home a lot, and play a lot of games.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you not just return the chair if it's hosed?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you not just return the chair if it's hosed?

That's the plan. They're sending me a new gas lift - if this one doesn't work, the chair goes back.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Antioch posted:

Oh, agreed. I found the least obnoxious one I could and it's still gaudy as hell. The wife offered to knit a custom cozy for it to cover the logos, even.
But it's also really comfy, which was sort of the point - I work from home a lot, and play a lot of games.

Yeah I'm all for function over form but at some point you need a little form. Nothing a few cozies can't fix though.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I finally got fed up sitting on a lovely Ikea office chair and bought an Aeron. Thanks for the advice chair thread.
I'm self employed so I let my company buy it and it'll offset my tax a little too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is it safe to get a Leap V2 from Madison Seating? I need a new chair badly and want something good but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out a full $900 at this point.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Taffer posted:

Is it safe to get a Leap V2 from Madison Seating? I need a new chair badly and want something good but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out a full $900 at this point.

When I read up on Madison Seating it didn't seem very reputable but I have no personal experiences with them.

Any input on the Leap vs the Gesture?

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010

Taffer posted:

I ordered an Aeron from them a couple years ago with no issue but I think people in this thread have had some mixed experiences with them, mostly leaning on bad.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thanks guys. I'm gonna see if there's any good option on Amazon, otherwise I'll go with them.

fanthom
Sep 6, 2005

ain't carryin no fuckin pads
Thinking about pulling the trigger on an Embody.

Just wanted to ask: Rhythm or Balance fabric? Is balance work the extra cost?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

fanthom posted:

I've read people complain there isn't enough cushion on the bare one. That said, I paid the extra for the fabric and haven't thought of it as uncomfortable in any way. Hope that helps

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I have zero experience with the rhythm since I purchased the balance fabric. I have been very happy with it. If you ever look at the fabric samples it's pretty obvious that balance is a lot more cushy and (seemingly) breathable.

https://dondueck.com/2012/07/23/herman-miller-fabric-comparison-balance-vs-rhythm/ might be helpful.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

fanthom posted:

I have the rhythm fabric and I don't really have complaints. But I never sat on a balance covered Embody for comparison.

Also my prior chairs had plastic mesh seats, so I'm used to not having any cushion.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Sorry if it's been asked and answered, I skimmed the last couple pages...

I have a 15 year old Aeron that's been great but is starting to break down. The piston works but doesn't have enough resistance anymore and sinks all the way down when I sit. Also, the arm rests slip (old cog style, not the new lever locks); I can tighten them down and they'll stay put for an hour or two but then start slowly sinking.

Bought it used from a folded tech company so no warranty even if Herman Miller offers 15+ yr warranties.

How hard are these to fix yourself? Anyone know a good place to buy parts? Am I better off paying a licensed Herman Miller partner to fix it and, if so, how can I find one (I'm in Atlanta if it matters)? Should I just call 15 years a good run and buy a new $800 chair instead?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
When I bought my used Aeron, one of the arm rests was so loose it was being held up by a piece of wooden dowel wedged inside. Cleaning and reassembling made it like new. I suspect if they're old enough, the plastic parts inside could be worn down though and need replacing, but just try cleaning it first.

I haven't replaced my piston, but it doesn't look too hard. Just make sure you get a quality/eom replacement piston.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Lawen posted:

I have a 15 year old Aeron that's been great but is starting to break down. The piston works but doesn't have enough resistance anymore and sinks all the way down when I sit. Also, the arm rests slip (old cog style, not the new lever locks); I can tighten them down and they'll stay put for an hour or two but then start slowly sinking.

Bought it used from a folded tech company so no warranty even if Herman Miller offers 15+ yr warranties.

How hard are these to fix yourself? Anyone know a good place to buy parts? Am I better off paying a licensed Herman Miller partner to fix it and, if so, how can I find one (I'm in Atlanta if it matters)? Should I just call 15 years a good run and buy a new $800 chair instead?

Why not get a used one for three or four hundred on Craigslist?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Deviant posted:

Why not get a used one for three or four hundred on Craigslist?

Yeah, that's probably the fall back plan but if I could fix it myself for < $200 I'd rather do that. It's served me well and seems like it should be fixable but if that's harder than it seems I'll just buy a new one.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I have an old lovely chair that is literally falling apart - the cushioning is falling out, casters are taped on, I have a textbook under one of the legs to hold it up. I spend like 6 hours out of every day sitting in this piece of poo poo, either working from my home office or playing video games. Have decided that it's time for an upgrade and am willing to drop a bit of coin given that I sit in the thing a lot.

I see some people in this thread have tried the Herman Miller Embody - are they worth the price tag? Is there anything else at that price point that's a better buy?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Lawen posted:

I had a used Aeron that had a cylinder die on me. Check Herman Miller's website for local distributors - they will also be able to get parts. The cylinder was $45 CAD, but probably could've been cheaper if I had gotten one off of Ebay or something.

It was a do-it-yourself job, but getting the cylinder out of the base was difficult (I ended up having to buy a pipe wrench to get it out). With the right tools it only took 15 minutes to swap to the new cylinder.

I would think that the arm rests would be the same idea. You can probably have a distributor order them for you (and upgrade to the new lever style ones in the process) but I bet they'd be more expensive than the cylinder.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I use this guy's arm bolt replacements for the Aeron and they seem to do the job on keeping the arm rests where I want them.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/brian_725?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks for the replies! I found a local HM partner and will give them a call to see if they can order a cylinder (and maybe just quote a repair) but if yours was like $45CAD it sounds like it'll be a lot cheaper to repair than replace.

A guy at work said he was able to fix his armrests by just taking them apart and cleaning them. If that doesn't work I'll give the bolts a try.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Does anyone in the New York City area know of places where you can actually sit down and try Steelcase chairs et al? I'm in the market for one of the ergonomic chairs but I'm not so loaded that I feel comfortable dropping that much cash sight unseen, no matter how adjustable they might be.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Oxxidation posted:

Does anyone in the New York City area know of places where you can actually sit down and try Steelcase chairs et al? I'm in the market for one of the ergonomic chairs but I'm not so loaded that I feel comfortable dropping that much cash sight unseen, no matter how adjustable they might be.

https://www.steelcase.com/find-us/showrooms/americas/
http://www.hermanmiller.com/contact/showrooms.html

There ones right in NYC, address & phone numbers in the links.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 14, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Within walking distance to Penn Station too, nice. Something to do on a weekend.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

My 8 year old Staples chair finally broke on me, arm rest snapped off which was supporting the back, so it's totalled now. I've been shopping for a new chair for awhile but now I have a lot more reason to prioritize it. I'm fairly tall and I've had lower back issues as far back as I can remember, from constantly sitting infront of a computer in crappy chairs from a very young age. This can make finding a good chair difficult as it needs a tall enough back and sufficient enough lumbar support.

Fortunately my work is going to get me a new chair too, after I did an ergonomic assessment recently. So far I've tried an HM Embody as a loaner, and got an Aeron loaner on its way for evaluation. The Embody was amazing, except for the back being like half an inch too short for me and not very much in terms of lumbar adjustment. Ofcourse work is going to foot the bill for whatever I get there so I can get whatever I want aslong as it's on standing offer, which my work has with an HM dealer.

But for home, I'm hesitant to spend like a grand (of Canadian monies) on a chair. I've sat in a Markus at an Ikea, and it seemed alright, but I noticed the back kind of slanted away, so while there was a bit of lumbar support, there wasn't really anything there for my upper back. I've tried to look for used Aerons on craigslist, as I know I like Aerons from stealing my coworkers' chairs, but any ad for them never responds to any queries.

Any tips for a tall and cheap goon that has lower back problems?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Jehde posted:

My 8 year old Staples chair finally broke on me, arm rest snapped off which was supporting the back, so it's totalled now. I've been shopping for a new chair for awhile but now I have a lot more reason to prioritize it. I'm fairly tall and I've had lower back issues as far back as I can remember, from constantly sitting infront of a computer in crappy chairs from a very young age. This can make finding a good chair difficult as it needs a tall enough back and sufficient enough lumbar support.

Fortunately my work is going to get me a new chair too, after I did an ergonomic assessment recently. So far I've tried an HM Embody as a loaner, and got an Aeron loaner on its way for evaluation. The Embody was amazing, except for the back being like half an inch too short for me and not very much in terms of lumbar adjustment. Ofcourse work is going to foot the bill for whatever I get there so I can get whatever I want aslong as it's on standing offer, which my work has with an HM dealer.

But for home, I'm hesitant to spend like a grand (of Canadian monies) on a chair. I've sat in a Markus at an Ikea, and it seemed alright, but I noticed the back kind of slanted away, so while there was a bit of lumbar support, there wasn't really anything there for my upper back. I've tried to look for used Aerons on craigslist, as I know I like Aerons from stealing my coworkers' chairs, but any ad for them never responds to any queries.

Any tips for a tall and cheap goon that has lower back problems?

How tall is tall? I'm right at 6'1 and the embody isn't too short for me? Everybody has their preferences though.. I mean if you're like 6'10 or something it's going to be hard to find a decent chair no matter what.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

6'2". I mean the Embody is fine, but I can feel my upper back [/i]just[/i] hang over the top and it's annoying. I'm more so wondering what I should get for home that doesn't cost too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Why would the tension lever/clamp thing on my Aeron arm rest keep coming open and how do I fix it?