Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
We had layoffs at work recently, which resulted in both an Aeron and a Steelcase Leap becoming available for my selection. IMHO, the Aeron chair amounted to hype. It wasn't much more comfortable than the Global generic it replaced. The Leap was head and shoulders above the Aeron in comfort and adjust-ability. Leaps can be found cheaper, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I love my Leap and sit on it all day. I like it way more than the Aeron.

Had the choice of these two at work: Leap is more comfortable.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Ordered an Embody today. Just the basic fabric in black with arms and regular casters. The thing which sold me on this chair was the ability to adjust the back to my spinal curve. My leap at work sorta does this, in that you can use your stomach muscles to push back on the backrest, and the chair obeys this, but it isn't nearly as comfortable as the embody was. Also took a look at the Aeron, but I didn't find the ones at work comfortable, nor does the chair seem very ergonomic.

I think I did alright on the price: I was charged $830 with the arms and regular fabric, which seems to be less than most online places. Should arrive in two weeks.

Maybe I can sell the Staples special that I have now to a student for $75.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

mindphlux posted:

where did you get an embody for 830?

I just ordered one last friday 1050, with the 15% off herman miller sale. also with arms, extra castors, and standard fabric.

I just broke down - that's a loving lot of money for a chair, but like you, I tried all these other chairs and it was just like 50% more comfortable for me.

http://www.prestigebusinessinteriors.com/ - They're in Waterloo, Ontario.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
^^ That's a great deal. Congrats.

Phiberoptik posted:

On the same topic of computer ergonomics, does anyone have any recommendations for products to reduce wrist pain from typing / mousing?

Work is loaning me a Contour mouse which seems to work well. For the keyboard, I just try to type properly (from the home row) and use a Gel strip from Staples. The mouse makes a huge difference, because it forces me to move my entire forearm instead of just my wrist. The mouse is enormous.

krooj fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 11, 2012

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I really like the Microsoft Natural line of keyboards. It has a really tall riser on the front and a curved/split keyboard so your wrists are perfectly straight the whole time you use it. I'm still trying to convince work to hook me up with an ergonomic mouse, though. This gel wristpad mousepad is just not doing it.

I used one of these boards many years ago, and actually managed to wear it out. Keyboard layouts have never really made a difference in comfort for me, and at work I just use a Leopold mechanical. The only thing I've read on keyboards which intrigues me is variable weighted keys (keys which are further from centre take less force to engage), such as the Topre RealForce series. Unfortunately, I refuse to spend $300 on a keyboard.

Phiberoptik posted:

Anyone have experience with MadisonSeating.com? They have pretty good deals and I want to make an order but wanna make sure they dont have some of the problems other sties have had since I'll be ordering from Canada.

If you're near a major city (To, Mtl, Van), I'd be patient and watch local CL/Kijiji. Even in Kitchener/Waterloo, I see private Aeron ads go up. And I don't know about you, but I'd feel safer buying from an original owner than a liquidator.

krooj fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 12, 2012

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Carecat posted:

Went with a used Steelcase Leap V2 after deciding the Aeron was overpriced and uncertainty how I would like the mesh. Now to wait to see if I got ripped off!

Leap >> Aeron. Every time I borrow one at work it makes me rage that a company would waste money on such an uncomfortable chair. What makes it so uncomfortable for me is how the mesh gives to your body weight while the frame does not, leaving it to dig into your thighs. I am far from a buttertroll @ <=65kg.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

rawrr posted:

Funny thing is, Leaps actually cost about as much new as Aerons.

I've found that the V2 is more expensive than the Aeron, and justifiably so.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
This embody chair is insanely comfortable compared to the POS staples "Serta" chair it replaced. I can't believe I waited this long to drop the coin :(

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

mindphlux posted:

so, I don't know what to make about this.

I got my embody about two weeks ago, and really like it for the most part.

EXCEPT - I find myself hunching over / leaning forward a whole lot, like putting a lot of my weight on the elbows of my armrests. I'm not sure I ever noticed myself hunching forward in my old lovely 50 dollar chair, but it didn't have armrests.

anyways, my back is actually hurting some even, which can't be a good sign. and I've started just randomly checking my posture now every hour or so, and 70% of the time I'm like .... yep, hunching forward again...

I followed the set up instructions that came with my chair, and ended up with the posture support/back curve thing all the way forward, my arm rests are as high as the manual said they should be, the front of the seat doesn't touch my calfs, my legs rest in a neutral position.... I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or what. :/

Are you allowing yourself to recline into the chair? I have mine set such that I recline into it and let the lumbar support take care of my lower back. Bad posture won't be corrected by a chair; you actually have to sit properly. This chair just makes sitting properly easier.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I bought a new Leap from Steelcase and have been waiting soooo patiently. I finally got the shipping info today and was really disappointed to see that that my chair was made in Mexico. Nothing against Mexico but I live in Grand Rapids which is the home of Steelcase and I can't help but think of my friends that were laid off from the local operations. :(

That is loving lame. Vote with your dollars and buy a Herman Miller or other domestic-made brand, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Jack_tripper posted:

not sure how it's a waste of time since this whole thread is basically about getting a good deal on the handful of quality chair designs that are out there; this site http://grshop.com/herman-miller-embody-chair-build-your-own.html has them for $1100 shipped

If you're in southern ontario, these guys can get you a basic black model for $850 + HST. I went this route, and it was fine. They don't keep stock, so expect to wait a few weeks.