Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rumspringa57
May 7, 2007
As everyone mentioned, you should really try to find a chair from a professional office furniture company (Steelcase, Herman Miller, etc.) instead of a big box retailer. The retail chairs are cheap, but they are flimsy and will not hold up to regular use, even the $300 ones. They might be plush and comfortable for the 5 minutes that you're in the store, but they are rarely supportive for a full work day. On the other hand, the most basic professional chairs may not be the most comfortable at first, but they can be very supportive and get through a 10 hour day just fine. Some of the things to look for: dense padding or another cushioning mechanism (Aeron), steel construction (the cheaper retail chairs will be almost entirely molded plastic bases attached to a steel shock, and a cardboard seat base), multiple adjustments.

I recommend buying a nice chair used if you're trying to save cash. You can find some deals on Craigslist, but in my experience it's been best to find a local office liquidator. Here in Austin there's a warehouse on the east side of town where they buy up the furniture of companies that went under for pennies on the dollar. Then they might do minor repairs like replacing casters and cleaning them. Then they'll sell them for roughly 40% of the new retail price. You can get an especially good deal if they have an odd number of chairs or one that's a different color than 10 others which match. I snagged a Steelcase Criterion for $20, albeit in purple and I had to spend 10 minutes cleaning and tweaking it myself. Best $20 I ever spent. Plus, if you pay cash at these types of places and you want just a single chair, you can probably swing a deal. I'm convinced the guy I talked to just pocketed my cash and hurried me out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU