Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

The Staybridge Suites I'm staying at has Herman Miller Aeron chairs in the rooms. This is the first time I've sat in one, and I must have it. :swoon:

The Aeron is OK. It's great for long periods of loving around and relaxing posting poo poo on SA, but it doesn't have the proper upper back support to get a serious recommendation from me. Even at its most extreme upright position, it just doesn't cut the mustard as far as upper back support is concerned. I don't have a ready recommendation as an alternative, but the Aeron to me is just barely better than some random Office Max chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I'm in New England area and am looking for a better office chair. My budget is ~$200, what should I get? I have Amazon Prime so I'm tempted to get something from there.

You don't actually have a budget at $200. Get a $10 chair from Craigslist.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All memory foam will degrade within a year, and most in significantly less time than that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vaz posted:

The price difference for Leap material, between fabric and leather is quite substantial....special kind of leather made of from endangered species?

Real leather is spendy as heck.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pulled the trigger on a refurbished Mirra with Latitude upholstering and all the options for $595 ($640 incl. taxes). Not the lowest at all, but it's a local shop with good reviews that does the refurbishing themselves and will happily repair anything. Looks like new.

I tried a factory fresh Mirra 2 right next to it with everything but seat tilt for $985, but I couldn't really tell a huge difference between the two, certainly not a $500 difference. I also tried a Steelcase Leap v2, and while it was pretty good, they only had it in leather and I need to breathe, plus I'm a big believer in no-foam.

I like how the Mirra supports my shoulders better than an Aeron. I'll see how it stands up to a few extended sitting periods.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Straker posted:

I wouldn't ask if I weren't in a huge metro area: anyone know of any of these magic office furniture liquidators/refurb sellers in Chicagoland? I bet there's tons of stuff on Craigslist but I doubt most people would be ok with me just coming over and sitting on their chair for an hour. I hate chair shopping because they're such an investment and I fully understand how important they are, but they're also personal and fussy. I used a kneeling chair for like ten years, then a good generic office chair from some failed dotcom email company, but it's pretty beat up now. I've been using a dining room chair for the past year or so, actually, but I've also rarely been at my desk for more than a few hours at a time and that's about to change.

I bought a Mirra from these guys and it's holding up great so far: http://www.chairtechs.com/

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Obscurity posted:

44 pages and I don't have search function. Not easy to comb through it all :(

OK, so easy money says your chair is simply too cheap to be of good quality. Unless you use it sparingly and you are relatively skinny, it will almost certainly start to degrade within a year or three with wobbling, torn and/or worn upholstery, non-functional controls, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mirra or Mirra 2? Same price. Do I want to pay an extra $125 for a "Tilt Limiter"? I have no idea what that is.

At the same price for the same features, you'd be crazy not to go Mirra 2.