Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wombot posted:

I guess I should pass this info on to yous guys: I got it from Design Within Reach in Kirkland, WA. They're having a sale (Officially starting February 12th) on their floor models: Everything is 30% or more off. The Embody I got is actually what Jim, the manager, sat in every day. They also have a Mirra, at least one Aeron, and a Humanscale Freedom, amongst lots of other non-task chairs (Like an Eames Lounge ohgod).

Anyone in the Seattle area should look them up and give Jim a call if you've been looking for a new chair.

Hmm, I'm in Kirkland and have a decent income tax refund heading my way, maybe I'll swing by and see what they've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

chronofx posted:

Does $580 shipped for a fully loaded Aeron in "like brand new condition" sound like a reasonably good deal?

Also, was anybody able to confirm whether the HM chairs are covered under warranty if they are purchased used?

I've never seen a warranty repair get turned down, our office has aerons that the previous tenant just left behind and HM repaired them no questions asked.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The second hand Herman Miller market here isn't all that great, does anyone have any experience with the TaskPointe chairs they sell at Costco?

I've always had good luck with just buying random cheap chairs and using them for 3-4 years before buying a new one, but I must have picked a dud with my last one (or else I'm just getting old) :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hbf posted:

Checked the Seattle website from the first page or two (http://nwresourcer.com) and they have both Steelcase Criterion and the KI Engage. I need a chair and the price is right ($135 each). Any thoughts on the engage? Can't find much about it other than the manufacturer website.

I've been trying to get in touch with the guy that runs that site for weeks to look at some of those chairs. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

King of Gulps posted:

He's got an ad up right now, if I've done my detecting correctly.

I'm looking for my fourth chair in two years; the first was a HM Equa, which was horrible and gave me a giant stictch in my side. Is this going to be comparable to say, a Mirra?

Yeah, I've called/emailed him a number of times, just never anything back.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

every posted:

Wait, you got 2 for $300 total?! What is CL Chairs?

craigslist I'm guessing

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FCKGW posted:

Staples has a bunch of office chairs for half off tomorrow. Anyone own any of these or have any opinions? Not looking for anything too crazy, probably about $100 or less.

http://www.staples.com/cat_BI213242

Do you want a chair you'll be using for more than an hour or two a day?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Twiin posted:

If all you need to order is a few hundred chairs to get them for $30 each we should get a group buy going.

No poo poo, that's an amazing deal.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WorkingStiff posted:

Does anyone know of any techniques or hack to get rid of lateral side-to-side movement in chairs? It feels like it is play where the cylinder goes into the chair itself. I've flipped it over and tightened down the tilt tension and added some torque on all the bolts, but the thing is still wobbling like a $100 cheapo. I'm thinking perhaps like a nylon collar or something that goes between the cylinder and chair itself.

At this point I'm not too impressed with Aeron, as this is the second one we've had which has started to wobble.

If they're Aerons, call up Herman Miller and bitch, they've always been really good about taking care of problems for us.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

Used ones are firm in price, no bulk discounts available. Fully loaded $400 with free shipping:

http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/herman-miller-mirra-fully-featured-mesh-seat

Son of a bitch, why didn't I know about this site earlier. Better prices here than local stuff. Wonder if they have a minimum quantity.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

real_scud posted:

It's not hard at all because the seat and back are basically mesh that gives as you sit/lean on it

People do whine about their legs falling asleep, although I've never met anyone who actually has mentioned that as a problem.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Maybe a repeat question, and maybe better for the DIY forum. I apologize in advance, but I'm figuring someone in this thread has dealt with this before:

The concrete floor area I'm currently stuck rolling around in has a pretty uneven, slanted floor. My back is gonna be very hosed up if I don't do something about it. Is there a cheap/easy/clever way to level this poo poo out? Quick fixes are fine, just fishing for short-term solutions.

Are you in a garage? Those are usually slanted by code, might not be an "ez" fix.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This worries me. I'm 6'4" and fluxuate from between 230-280lb and I want to start saving for a chair that doesn't hurt my back/break constantly. What's out there for people who are genuinely large rather than corpulent midgets?

Steelcase makes large versions of their chairs. I used an Aeron size C for 5-6 years and are roughly the same size and had no issues.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'd love to foot the difference myself, but I can't afford to ATM and I need to get something that isn't making my back hurt 10 minutes into sitting down ASAP. I'm so stiff at the end of the day. I know I won't get the perfect chair on that budget, but I need to get as comfortable as I can so my back will stop aching nonstop. My hips even pop sometimes in the chair I'm in now because it's too narrow and it pushes me into weird positions.

I'm in the Madison area. Does anybody know if there's any liquidators in the area I might be able to track down a better chair at?

Don't know how things are in Madison, but in Seattle area there's a fair amount of traffic on Craiglist, liquidators and private sellers.

Steelcase Criterions seem to go for around $150, and I do see some big/tall models from time to time. Aerons/Mirras start at $300 around here and go up from there, so you should be able to find something decent at the $300 point that isn't a crappy office depot chair.

That said, those places usually do have some "big & tall" chairs, but like anything else, you're not really going to know how you feel unless you can you use itfor a bit.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

rawrr posted:

Thirding - just had a chance to sit in the Leap today, and it was miles above any of the HM chairs I've sat in, including the Mirra, Aeron, Embody, and Sayl. I was all ready to plunk down a grand on the Embody until I sat in it.

Called up NOL to order one (the place I tried them at only had celery green), but they wanted $200 for shipping to washington state...

If you're in the Seattle area I do see Leaps popping up on Craigslist pretty regularly.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Opus125 posted:

Alright gents, I need a computer chair but I am not willing to part with as much money as a mid to high-end computer rig.

I am willing to spend $150. Any recommendations?

There's resellers around me selling SteelCase Criterions for $150, that's probably better than anything you're going to find at OfficeMax/Staples/whatever.

Hit up your local Craigslist and poke around a bit.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

super_chair posted:

So, in general, is Ikea worth looking in, or should I save myself like an hour driving and just shop around online?

I think like anything it's subjective, but the only vaguely decent Ikea chair that I've ever seen is the Markus. I found it to be a terrible chair, but YMMV.

If you need a desk though, the Galant series is fantastic.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Ah, I didn't even see the open box fine print. That explains a lot then, I think I'll pass on it. Thanks for the heads up.

Local office furniture resellers around here sell criterions for around $150ish..

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well, the back of my Leap broke. Was just sitting when it suddenly went POP and fell into the fully reclined position (jarring the poo poo out of my neck in the process). It now does that every time I try to lock it into another position. I got it second hand and it's lasted a year, but that loving sucks. I'm 6'4" and about 280, so I get that these chairs aren't really meant to handle me, but the lightest I've been is 230 (which still exceeds the recommended weight on most chairs) and my doctor told me I was underweight at that point :( I guess I'll try an Aeron or Embody next time. Only downside is I probably can't get my work to pay for another chair, so I'll have to save up a while and buy one out of pocket. Fun times in the stock office chairs ahead :sigh:

Aeron B & C are both rated up to 300 lbs. Most of the tall big dudes I know have been perfectly happy with an Aeron C.

I do see the occasional Criterion Plus on my local craiglist, which goes up to 500 lbs. Apparently a Leap Plus exists as well, but I haven't ever seen one.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wired did a review round up of (also offers some fit tips):

• Steelcase Gesture
  • Herman Miller Embody
  • Herman Miller Mirra 2
  • Knoll Generation
  • Humanscale Freedom Headrest
  • Haworth Zody Executive

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/06/office-chair-gallery/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hooah posted:

Apparently the surplus store didn't get something right. Here's the link: http://www.msusurplusstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=8158

That looks like a leap to me, but I could be crazy. If that's really the chair and it's $125 and an actual steelcase, that's a steal.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hamelekim posted:

I'm in a conundrum. I need a chair after my 200 dollar chair has seemingly broken so that it tilts side to side now. I have a Herman Miller Aeron chair at work which is really great, having sat in it for 8 hours a day for 5 years. I can get any Herman Miller chair for 52% off through work so I am considering the Embody chair. Anyone have any extended experience with it? I sat in it for a minute or two a couple of years ago but haven't tried it for any extended period of time.

That wired review I posted farther up the page talks about the embody:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/06/office-chair-gallery/?pid=3399

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dox posted:

Is there a proper desks thread? I am interested in looking at sit down / stand up desk solutions for a friend who needs the desk to have mobility- this seems like as good a place as any to ask knowledgeable ergos.

How much does your friend want to spend? That's somewhat of a big factor here, you can go from "macguyvering some poo poo with ikea end tables" to "fancy robot desk that will raise and lower the top with magnets or something"

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Got Haggis? posted:

I'm looking for a computer table but can't find anything I'm happy with. I have an Ikea nearby, but I just feel like I'm paying for crap - something that will probably fall apart in a year. Also don't want anything fancy with bookshelves, what have you. Really just need it to be large enough for 2 monitors, a printer, and maybe some extra room. L shaped desk OK but not required. Any suggestions on where to look? I can't seem to find anything I like.

I've been using an ikea galant for almost 10 years:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/18960/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Optiquest posted:

Can anyone ID this chair? Owner said its a Steelcase. Worth picking up for $25?

This is? http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/criterion/pages/overview.aspx

Yeah, its a criterion. If its not best to hell, $25 is not bad at all.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KaboomzZz posted:

Along with the other giant dudes in this thread I also destroy chairs on a regular basis. I'm also almost 7ft tall and combined with being ~300 I've been looking at this: http://www.destinationxl.com/1/1/3097-executive-leather-office-chair.html and although it seems completely ridiculous with its 1,000lb rating - I seriously have my doubts it will stand up to the abuse of me sitting in it. There is something about office chairs; in my experience; that seems like they're all made to last a very limited amount of time, arms break off, posts bust through to the carpet, wheels break off, seats break off, etc. I also mirror other statements about Aeron Size B for tall guys: if you are tall it will literally destroy your knees. Regrettably I bought a C and even it causes problems which is why I'm now looking for another solution. I hate the thought of swamp rear end from a leather chair though, one design feature of the Aeron that was smart.

"Big and tall" chairs like that may be a bit more robust, but all the ones I've seen still are made out of lovely materials and you'll compress the foam down/destroy it in a year or two.

Steelcase makes "plus" versions of some it's chairs that increase the size of some parts and bump the capacity up to 500 pounds (most chairs seem to be rated in the 250-300 range).

For example:

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/criterion-plus/pages/overview.aspx
http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/leapplus/pages/overview.aspx

I've never seen a cheap Leap Plus anywhere, but Criterion Plus models do pop up on my local Craigslist from time to time.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 6, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thanatosian posted:

Steelcase Criterion "Like New" on Craigslist in the Seattle area for $200. I'm definitely not buying without seeing, but that seems like a pretty great deal, and those look like pretty great chairs; I am a lot more comfortable spending $200 than $800, too.

There's a guy that has a bunch pretty consistently on Seattle craigslist (the Eastside region in particular) for $145

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Perhaps someone will chime in with I have big rear end manager chair by XXXXXXX and it doesn't make me butthurt? There is nothing fundamentally wrong with their form (unless a specific form doesn't fit with your body), it's the quality of the foam I have issue with.

My wife bought me some leather manager chair from a random Office Supply store like 15 years ago, and that chair was great and supportive (this predated the "goon throne" trend, for any other old timers), and I foolishly got rid of it when we moved across country.

Every other cheap chair I've seen since has terrible build quality, crappy foam that collapses after a few months (even on the big and tall models) and is generally a waste of money, especially when I can hit up craigslist and get a steelcase criterion for $135.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

fatman1683 posted:

My cheapass OfficeMax chair has finally started to fall apart, so I figure I'm going to buy a new chair with my upcoming tax refund.

Is there any kind of middle ground between the $100 pieces of poo poo and the $1000 ergo chairs? I'd be comfortable spending $2-300 but much more than that is a bit hard to stomach.

At that price point you're basically looking for a used version of a good chair (assuming this is something you're actually using frequently). The $200-300 chairs at an office supply store just seem to be better looking versions of the shittier chairs.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GokieKS posted:

Been needing to get a new chair for a while - I've actually quite liked this cheap-ish one I got from Office Max (or Depot, who can keep them straight?) years ago, but the padding is getting too worn out. I'm still hesitant to spend too much on a chair, so I was initially looking at the IKEA Markus, but their fabric versions only come in silly colors that I hate. Today I found a listing on CL that's close(ish) to me for a "like new" Herman Miller Embody for $500, and I'm really tempted. Apparently Herman Miller warranties aren't transferrable though, so I wouldn't have access to the 12 year warranty. It seems quite a lot of people buy these used, so I figure I'd ask - has anyone had to get out of warranty repairs on their HM chairs (not necessarily the Embody which is still pretty new)? I mean it should still be a very high quality chair, but it does give me a bit of pause for if something goes wrong.

Not sure if they've cracked down in recent years or something, but I've never had Herman Miller ask for a proof of purchase for a chair repair. Last place I worked we inherited several aerons that the previous tenant left in the office space we moved into, and Herman Miller repaired them no questions asked when people did dumb things and broke them.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

Is this thread ok for desk talk?

I want a standing desk but the adjustable ones are kinda pricey considering I'll be standing 100% of the time. I went to a few local stores and non of them had standing or adjustable desks at all. IKEA had some tall legs but not nearly tall enough. I measured my adjustable desk at work and it's 40" from the floor to the base of the desk. I think the tallest legs at ikea are 36".

Maybe I should just roll my own?

There is a desk thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599425

That said, Ikea does have tall legs, I built a standing desk from Ikea parts a few months ago using these legs, the desk top is a bit over 42 inches high:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60261626/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Christobevii3 posted:

I got a tall workbench type desk. Is there a good drafter chair that people recommend to replace my lovely $20 stool?

How much do you want to spend? There's drafting versions of some of the standard "good chairs" from Steelcase/Herman Miller.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Christobevii3 posted:

Would $300 be enough for an ok chair?

I've seen used on craigslist in that range, usually Steelcase Criterions.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Anyone in the Seattle area use this steelcase reseller or have a local used chair vendor suggestion?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/fuo/4518225679.html

Ha, I've been eyeballing that guy on and off for a while, but he never returned my emails. If you pick one up, let me know how it goes :)

Otherwise I haven't seen anyone with super consistent inventory, just eyeballing craigslist to see who is offering what.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 28, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CampingCarl posted:

While looking at reviews for the more expensive chairs I found more than a couple mention a some Ikea chairs as cheaper but quality alternatives. The two I saw suggested were the Markus and Volmar. Anyone know anything about them?

Better than the office depot special maybe, but not much. For $150-200 around here you can find secondhand steelcase.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hemish posted:

So I'm 6'1" and 340lbs so I'm pretty fat. I had no idea chairs could get this expensive!

My old normal chair is pretty beat up as it's something like 10 years old and I'm pretty sure it was the normal 200 or 250lbs limit. I don't like these high prices but I can easily understand the value of not having to keep buying new 200$ chairs because of my weight vs the usual 200-250lbs limits. I'm also turning 34 tomorrow so I also understand that I'm not a spring chicken anymore and the cheaper alternatives might just give me more and more pain as time goes on.

I read the last 10 pages of the thread and I looked online at the Leap, Gesture and Mirra 2. Thay all look a little bit weird to me. Are those really more comfy than the padded ones and what not? They all look small with small back rests, arm rests, etc... As everything would dig into my body from everywhere.

I live in a small city in Canada so there is no way for me to try any of those or a way to find used ones. It looks like so much money to drop without being able to try them on. Like I just said, would they even fit me correctly since I'm pretty fat? Wouldn't the lombar thing push me in the wrong places? Are there any goons around my size with these chairs that could give a small review?

Any other brands/models you guys could recommend for someone my size? I'm trying to lose some weight again and if I can keep it down for once, would those chairs be okay if I can be less of a fatty?

Steelcase offers "plus" version of some it's chairs that are larger with wider seats/backs, have a higher capacity, etc. I only rarely see them come up on the used market though:

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/criterion-plus/pages/overview.aspx
http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/leapplus/pages/overview.aspx

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Chuu posted:

Wow, ~$1300 retail, $2200 MSRP, and almost no secondary market for the Leap Plus. That might actually be a hard sale, since it's pretty much double the price of an Aeron.

It's also . . . really ugly. Looks like they made the seat wider compared to the Leap, but not the back for some reason? It just looks like the proportions are wrong in the shots that are back-on.

I'll definitely try to find a place to Demo one though.

In addition to the leap plus they also make a "plus" version of their Criterion chair:

http://store.steelcase.com/criterion-plus

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pertplus posted:

What kind of chair are these?

Herman Miller Eames (or knockoffs thereof)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Costco chairs are all just plywood, sometimes wrapped in some cushioning. When I've used them, they generally break or become too broken in to sit in comfortably after 6-8 months.

I have seen the occasional herman miller low end chair at Costco, but selection seems to vary wildly. Most of them I would agree are standard cheap garbage chairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

foutre posted:

Speaking of, I'm 6'7" and trying to find a comfortable chair that actually fits me. I was hoping to spend < $500 US.

I went to the local Steelcase and Herman Miller showrooms today to try stuff out.

I liked the Aeron size C, especially with posture fit and the adjustable arm rests, and the Leap v2 (and the Embody but it doesn't look like there's any way I'd find that in my price range).

I was wondering if any other tall people had experience with using either chair for a long while, or other chairs they'd recommend. It looks like I can find the Leap v2 for about ~300-400, and the Aeron size C for about ~500 on the low end, so barring any input one way or the other on which holds up better long term I'm leaning towards the former.

I'm 6'3" and found the Aeron C to be comfy. Steelcase does make big& tall versions of the Leap and Criterion chairs (the "plus" versions), but they're a lot harder to find on the used market.

http://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/leap-plus

http://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/criterion-plus