Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Does anybody know how the Steelcase Gesture compares to the HM Embody?
I'm 6'2" 250 lbs and have a "fully loaded" C-size Aeron at the office. It's ok to sit on, shiny, pretty and wears really well but I'm not convinced I want another one at home. The main thing that bothers me is that it forces a certain sitting position on me, for better or for worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

foutre posted:

I tried out both those chairs last year when I was looking for a chair. I'm 6'7"/250lbs, so generally a similar size but obviously height is more of a concern for me.

I personally liked the Gesture better. Although both were generally comfortable, the Embody generally felt more cramped than the Gesture. The back is wider and felt more substantial, the armrests went out further horizontally than the Embody and as a result the seat felt better too. If possible I'd try them out first, I found that reviews didn't really translate that well when you're 6'+.

e: I guess as a last thing, I actually ended up going for the Aeron size C because it was a bit larger than either (and found a cheap one on Craigslist), but something to keep in mind if you're thinking about switching. The Gesture definitely gives you a lot more options for sitting positions though.

Thanks, that's very useful as I have no way of testing most of the chairs around here. The Embody is off my list now because it's too expensive here in Europe (twice the price of an Aeron), a bit plasticy/creaky and don't like the looks. It may well be that it'd be my favourite chair to sit on but I'm not going to order one blind.
The new short list is Gesture/Mirra 2/Aeron C. I know somebody who owns a Mirra 2 and hopefully there's a Gesture somewhere around here.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just checked and you can do all of the above with my old one :shrug:

eames
May 9, 2009

Mirra

and be sure to test the Aeron in different sizes. I like the C and really dislike the B even though the chart suggests the latter. (google aeron size chart)

eames
May 9, 2009

Deviant posted:

I don't want to alarm anyone, but my Embody is on its way here right now. :D

Please post your impressions! I like my old Aeron a lot but the mesh seems to generate a crazy amount of dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I cleaned the cylinder shaft of my ~15 year old classic aeron with a damp microfiber towel today during general cleaning as there was some visible dust buildup on it.
The cylinder (dual stage type) now no longer compresses smoothly when i sit down, instead it kind of snags at 1-2 steps, like there's too much friction somewhere. It's also kind of loud and annoying. I suspect the cylinder needs to be lubed, or it was already worn out and this pushed it over the edge, or I ruined it by having a tiny amount of water dripping into it.
What kind of lubricant would you suggest?
I tired some special grease made for MTB forks but that didn't fix it. Should I try WD40?