Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Twiin posted:

Any suggestions for a dealer in the Toronto area would be welcomed warmly!

I googled "<My City, My State> office furniture" and it came up with a nice selection of local companies I had never heard of (read: not OfficeDepot). Called a few of them asking if they sell to individuals and not just business accounts, and now I'm in the process of working with one to find a chair that's actually going to fit me and hold up to long-term use. I'm already happy with the company and I haven't even bought anything yet.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

buying a computer chair is not something you should rush into - you're parked in that thing for hours everyday, after all.

Let me emphasize this point with an anecdote. My last chair was a $120 superstore piece of crap. Oh it looked nice, executive-style with a high back so I could lean back and rest my head when I was watching movies or whatever. It had a very nice looking seat, appearing very thick. What actually happened when I sat down was that the seat deflated like a balloon. This was by design; there were little vents on the sides of the cushion and everything. You can see examples in any office supply superstore.

Didn't seem like that big a deal. After all, the chair was comfortable at first. The big problem was that there was very little actual padding in the seat, and after a while it wore out and I was more or less sitting on the baseboard. My body is not excessively padded, so this meant my tailbone had some significant pressure on it. This eventually caused long-term damage and pain that I dealt with for about a year after ditching the chair.

I'm now prepared to spend more than a pittance on a chair that's going to fit and support me properly, and I recommend the same to anyone who sits for more than a few hours at a stretch. The price tags on good chairs hurt for someone like me, fairly recently out of university and not exactly flush with cash. But it's that or actively invite long-term injury and chronic pain, and I'm going to get enough of that as I simply age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

slidebite posted:

Does this look like a real areon?

Guy says he paid $1K for it a few years back and needs a knob, can probably get it for <$100

It looks a little small for an Aeron, and also it seems that one of the corners has broken off.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ryaath posted:

Any first-hand reviews/opinions on https://www.autonomous.ai/product/ergonomic-chair ? It's about the top of my budget, and need something for 8hr/day use.

My company just bought a ton of these, and yeah, the pad is thin; I weigh around 250lbs and I feel the baseboard when I sit in one, which is an absolute show-stopper. If you're near that weight I advise you to try and find one to sit in.

I was pleased by the number of available adjustments and would have liked to use the chair if it weren't for the seat.

Oh, I also seem to recall that its max height felt a bit low to me (I'm 6'4"), but I may be wrong about that as we were evaluating several chairs at the time.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 16, 2018

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'm sure you'll manage.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pollyanna posted:

Day 2 of the Mirra 2 and my butt aches about as much as it did with the box chair, even with some padding on it. I think this chair just doesn't gel with me for some reason. Is there a way to tell why this particular problem is happening? I really don't want to have spent hundreds of dollars on a chair that leaves me aching at the end of a workday.

edit: It might be leftovers from the really bad chair, because it still happens in other chairs that I don't recall getting pain in. And my tailbone is still achy if I press on it even a little bit, so I dunno if it's the chair so much as the damage.

Definitely play around with the adjustments as the others have suggested (that's one of the big reasons why good chairs are good) but you're probably on the right track with the "leftovers" idea. I had a similar issue: bad chair caused persistent tailbone pain over the long term, whether I was sitting or not, and when I finally got a better chair it took months for the soreness to go away completely. It was an injury, and it took time to heal after I stopped reinforcing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Steelcase has a 12 year warranty on the original cylinders, have you contacted them? Or is yours secondhand?