Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Um this is my computer chair:

Incase the seatbelt buckle doesn't give it away, that's a carseat mounted atop the base of a cheap computer chair.

All carseat adjustments are intact: two base height adjustments, recline, lumber, and forward/backward. In order to keep the last one, I had to retain the rails, so I made a wooden base that the rails bolt onto, which then is bolted onto the office chair base - the hardest part was removing the mounting brackets from the rails (over an hour of drilling, hammering, sawing and swearing - bear in mind the seatbelt buckle is attached to the seat so it needs to be very well secured to the car). You might wonder what the point of keeping forward/backward adjust is when I can just move the whole seat forward - it's so I can use the recline without topping over (by shifting forward first).

The result is pretty loving comfortable, only problem is that the lowest height setting is fairly high (because the distance between the wooden base and the seat surface is a lot more than the thickness of the bit of cardboard and foam that it replaces), doesn't bother me but I'm 6"2.

Fuzz1111 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Fuzz1111 posted:

Um this is my computer chair:

Incase the seatbelt buckle doesn't give it away, that's a carseat mounted atop the base of a cheap computer chair.
Been a while since I made that, and since some people in this thread have talked about doing something similar I thought I'd give an update.

It's still the best loving computer chair I've ever used, I can sit in that thing 8 hours a time without feeling the slightest discomfort and I've gone through a quite few chairs at work trying to find something as nice, or atleast as supportive (this place used to have a lot more people so there's tons of spare chairs to try).

Only problems are the weight (at a guess it's atleast 25kg - and its almost impossible to raise it without getting off first because you have to give piston some assistance) and the cheap office chair base is very slightly angled to the side (it's probably always been that way, only you don't notice it when the rest of the chair is as awful as the one that base came from. Once I get around to it fix it with a few spacers/washers).

Few things to be aware of if you choose to make something like this:
  • Get the right carseat, and think about how it will be once it's an extra foot off the floor. Mine has two base height settings you can use to control the angle of the base, this helps a lot because the connection to office chair base is likely to leave it at a different angle how it is in the car (and you will want to change the angle anyway because the change of distance from floor means the angle of your legs will be different). You can get this adjustment with spacers (or other alterations to the connection with office-chair base) obviously, but, put it this way - I change that base-angle almost anytime I change back-angle.
  • Consider carefully how you are going to connect it, if you ditch the rails (or get a seat without them) you might lose some adjustments. One you'll definitely be without is forward-backward - this may seem like a stupid adjustment to keep until you think about where your centre-of-gravity will be if you decide use this thing like a recliner. If you keep the rails then in all likelyhood you will have to remove the brackets that go between rails and car (and as mentioned in my previous post it can be a bitch of a task).
  • Related to above, but consider where the lowest height setting of office chair base is going to leave you sitting once you take into account how it's mounted. Mine is quite high, and I like it but it wouldn't fit under my desk if it were as low as some desks are.