Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Would a stool like this be feasible for long-term sitting?

http://www.humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=FreedomSaddleSeat

I seem to always be at war with the arms and back of any chair I use long-term, and I'm thinking that maybe I could eliminate those entirely, and the slightly-leaning-forward posture would make a chair back unnecessary.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Slightly-silly-but-kind-of-appealing stool alternative:

http://www.salli.com/en/Products/Chairs/Salli+Twin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Echo_ posted:

Soma chairs are pretty popular in Silicon Valley. http://somaergo.com/ The chairs are modular, so you if you want a different back or armrests, you can just buy that part.

Some of those look kinda like Sigmund Freud's chair.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Splizwarf posted:

A turtle will last you 50-60 years.

I would feel terribly cruel if I spent all day sitting on a turtle. What if I have to fart?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I really like the Microsoft Natural line of keyboards. It has a really tall riser on the front and a curved/split keyboard so your wrists are perfectly straight the whole time you use it. I'm still trying to convince work to hook me up with an ergonomic mouse, though. This gel wristpad mousepad is just not doing it.

I am also a fan of the Microsoft Natural (specifically the 4000). I have had good results easing tendinitis with a gel wrist-rest for the mouse. (Your mileage may vary, et cetera.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dyscrasia posted:

Any suggestions on a lumbar support? Theres no way my company will spring for a badass chair, but I do have an injured back and figured I would pick one up.

This may be a terribly silly idea, but what if you wore one of those weightlifting belts? Those are supposed to support your lower back, right? I wonder if it would help at all while sitting.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lexicon posted:

This is enormously optimistic of me, but I'll try anyway: does anyone know of a retailer in the Montreal area that sells Steelcase, etc chairs?

It's a loving nightmare trying to find speciality stuff like this in Canada - and especially so in Quebec.

You could try calling these guys: http://www.steelcase.com/en/shop/dealers/pages/results.aspx?currentPage=1&region=Quebec&country=CA

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Martytoof posted:

I have terrible posture. Like I caught myself almost lying down in my big comfortable chair typing this.

Does anyone here use a stool to force themselves to sit up straight? Just wondering how this works on a long-term basis. I'm thinking about implementing this both at home and at the office so I guess basically a "giving up chairs for stools" sort of thing.

I'm just using a cheap costco $100-something chair which has zero lumbar or lower back support and basically almost forces me to lean back unless I want to not use the backrest.

I will occasionally use a stool/backless chair for a while, but it's not something that's comfortable for me all day. If I could find a cheap one, I would love to give a Swopper a try.

I've also had luck with chairs that I can adjust so that the seat tilts forward a bit. It makes me sit more upright and slouch less.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Edit: On an unrelated note, I was at a furniture trade show in Chicago last month, and I saw the most hideous office chair in existence. I took a photo, but unfortunately it looks like I accidentally deleted it. It was this same chair, but with white leather:

Good labeling on the photo: that is a boss chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ErikTheRed posted:

I recently ended up picking up the Ikea Gerton tabletop and some legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50106773/

It's been working out pretty well so far. The tabletop is solid wood so I doubt it will deteriorate as badly as the usual particleboard stuff.

How sturdy is the resulting desk/table? Is it easily wobbled by a person walking by and brushing against it?