Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Cause of this thread I went and bought an Office Master OM5 for my wife because her office chair was godawful and she wanted us to have identical chairs in our home office. I knew I didn't want another crappy Office Max chair and while a used Aeron was tempting, there weren't many in the area and after having nice ones at work I'd be too particular to find two of them easily. So we went with getting a brand spanking new OM5 with warranty for around the same price as a used Aeron.

I have to say she's had the thing for a little over a month now and she loves it, and I do too. I was worried at first because I'm used to using an Aeron at work and in the Aeron the whole seat bottom + back can rotate backwards when you lean back, and I rather like it at work. Meanwhile the OM5 only has the back rotate backwards while the seat actually slides forward, it's supposedly better for ergonomics but I was worried that in long usage it'd be annoying.

Turns out after doing a massive BF3 session the past two days while I was out sick that the issue is really a non-issue. It's great for prolonged usage, as it should be, and is also great when just using while browsing the 'net and/or playing a game.

Now I can't wait till Christmas when she's going to buy me one for my present cause she keeps on getting mad at me for 'borrowing/test driving' her chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

every posted:

:doh:

Edit: What is a "good price" for a Herman Miller Aeron / Mirra chair on Craigslist? I'm seeing a lot of Aerons on there for ~$450...I'm assuming that's pretty good?
Yeah, 400-500 are about average for Aeron's on CL since they retail for $800 for the most basic model and no frills.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

johnnyXcrane posted:

Which of the Herman Miller chairs do you guys think is the most ergonomic? And are they at all comfy?
I live in Germany and dont know any chance to try them out and sit in them.

And do you really get a new Aeron for like 600$ in the USA? Here you need to pay atleast 1400$ for the basic Aeron.
Brand new base-model Aeron costs $869 here, though they're having a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale and you could pick one up for $738.65

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

johnnyXcrane posted:

How hard is the Aeron?
My rear end is somewhat sensitive and hates to sit on a hard surface.
On my cheap chair i even use a blanket or i cant sit longer than an hour on it!
It's not hard at all because the seat and back are basically mesh that gives as you sit/lean on it

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

smooth jazz posted:

I just received my Aeron Basic large and I find the edge of the seat really digs into my thighs. It's remarkably uncomfortable, bordering on painful.

I don't think I'm going to get used to it. The Ikea Markus was much better, to be honest.

Extremely disappointed, what a waste... and now I can look forward to dealing with craiglist morons to get rid of this thing.
There will be a piece of padding that resides on that edge, you can reach under the seat and simply pull it out and it'll make it a lot better.

So I'd suggest doing that before you try to re-sell it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

ALSO! I made a video for my company's clients and dealers that may help you guys out. It's a chair adjustment video - the chair is one of ours, but it is fairly representative of the basic adjustments of many ergonomic chairs. And there's a small amount of general ergonomic advice in there too. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ejLFaitbj0

That's my voice, and my arm in the blue shirt. :P
Speaking of OM chairs it's been about 6 months since we purchased matching set of the OM5 chairs for my wife and I, and we've both been really happy with it.

Sometimes I want a taller back when I'm leaning back but 90% of the time I'm in the chair I'm not leaning back in the chair so it doesn't really matter.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

sethsez posted:

Boyfriend and I just got some great chairs from a local office liquidation place here in Orlando that was doing a two day open house sale (normally they only sell to businesses). I got a Haworth Zody for $200 and he got a Steelcase Think for $150, both in pristine condition. This is easily the most comfortable chair I've ever used... I was actually hoping to get a Very at some point and figured I'd have to spend more, so getting the next model up for less was a pretty fantastic surprise.
Whoah, what place is that?!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm at the ergonomic expo right now and I just tried out the Steelcase Gesture. Speaking as someone who works for a competitor, I have to say its a REALLY nice chair. Very easy to adjust, adapts immediately to your posture, etc. I'd even say you should buy it over a Leap. Now the only questions are price point and what range of body types it fits.
It looks like the price point for the Gesture is around $979 for the base versions.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In other news, my company's little stack chair that has a moving seat/back just beat the Gesture for attendee's choice award at the biggest ergonomic conference in America: http://officemaster.com/about/news.php?view=news&news_id=46
And https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51865677/MMQ%20Article%20-%20Attendees%20Choice%20Award%20-%20OM5%20Active.pdf (I'm in this photo!)

:smugdog:
Cause of that I see you guys came out with a tall-backed OM5 and dammit that fixes my one issue with the OM5 in that I want it to have a taller back.

Oh well can't really return it to the store I bought mine from for it and it's still definitely a comfortable chair.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

This is a good article. Question about your OM5, I see that you can ajdust the armrests forward and back, and rotate them in and out, but can you also adjust their height?

I love my maxnomic because of the ability for all those adjustments on the armrests. Its also darn comfortable. Also what material are the armrests cushioning made out of?
I'm a guy who bought an OM5 years ago because of Rotten Red, hell I bought two of them. I have to say I've loved them a whole lot since then and think they were worth every penny I bought 'em for.

The armrests sadly aren't adjustable save for going up and down to whatever height you want. I thought I'd miss that since I know it's there on the newer Herman Miller's and I honestly haven't at all, mostly because I know I can lean on these at whatever angle and I don't have to worry about them suddenly moving on me.

Also I had the back of one of my chairs break after a year or two and all it took was a quick email to my sales rep and I had a new one installed under warranty. Hell they even let me pay $35 to get the newer higher back option they came out with after my chair shipped.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is no longer true actually - we have a few arms for the OM5 now. The new RP45 arms allow you to move the pads side-side, front-back, and pivoting inwards. You can order just the pads and swap them out really easily on your current OM5, call up a dealer and ask to purchase a set of RP45 pads.
Hmm, I may do that but honestly I haven't ever really thought about wanting the arms to move in any way after getting them to the height I like.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

chrisf posted:

So is there some trick to leaning back on the OM5 without going to full 45 degree recline mode?
Just lean back slightly? I've had an OM5 for years now and haven't had an issue leaning back slightly.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Odette posted:

GaMeRs420blazeit__xX want this item.

There really isn't any.
There isn't. Sadly at work we now have a conference room full of them and they're not comfortable at all. Definitely not more comfortable for extended periods of time like a chair designed for the workplace.

It is amusing that everyone has taken off the lumbar support that is normally a part of the DX Racer because it just makes things so goddamned uncomfortable.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Zarin posted:

Isn't the Embody pretty wide in the seat pan, too?

Or is that an optical illusion because of the back?
It is.

I just picked up an Embody after lusting after it for almost a decade (or so it seems) and I measured it. At it's smallest point in the back it's like a hair under 19" and at the front it's just over 21".

Also man it's about as comfortable as I remember it being, so happy that work gave us some money for more WFH things. Couldn't find a used one in the entire UK, but still managed to find a brand new one that got here in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Freakazoid_ posted:

Serta iComfort i5000. $400 bucks, available in big & tall, and has a 10 year warranty.

This thread has poo-pooed on Serta in the past, but I'm assuming that's because of their cheaper chairs. The few reviews online are all positive. I sat on one at an office depot for about 10 minutes and liked it.

Any reason I shouldn't buy it?
Don't know anything about it but it looks like a massive cushion chair that's comfy initially but if you sit it in for long periods of time and/or use it a lot the cushions will simply collapse and you'll feel like you're just sitting on plastic.