Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

rocket posted:

Most office chairs like what you see at Office Depot are horrible for you, and cut off the circulation in your legs.

Actually this is literally a sore subject for me. I had a cheap but comfortable chair that just wore out. I didn't notice until it was too late that this gave me a pinched nerve, actually sciatica, or Pseudosciatica that's had me in constant pain for the last month, apparently caused by Piriformis syndrome.

I think it's just temporary though. I changed my chair, and spend less hours in front of the computer, and I'm not in constant pain any more, though I am taking some pretty heavy duty pain killers, and I can barely move when I get out of bed in the morning.

Actually a friend of mine suggested using a Doctor's or Dentist's stool.
http://www.posturedontics.com/seating_review.php

For Herman Miller chairs and Aeron there are charity stores that accept used office furniture and the money they make goes to charity.

a local place in Kansas City is http://www.surplusexchange.org/

There's also office furniture liquidators, like Ros Office and Resources of KC

Oh here's something, it's like Craigs's List for office furniture:
http://www.furniturefinders.com

Quoting this because drat how I feel your pain. I've got the same nerve problems with my right leg from sitting in a Mirra for a few months. I've since gone back to this weird little purple chair that has been good for me for years at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

Used ones are firm in price, no bulk discounts available. Fully loaded $400 with free shipping:

http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/herman-miller-mirra-fully-featured-mesh-seat

This is loving awesome, I've been looking for a Criterion for months on craigslist and the like!

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

dur posted:

Has anyone ever bought one of these? I really dig the original, but there's no way I can justify $1400-1900 for a real one. Hell, for the maybe 10 hours a week I'd actually use the chair, it's hard for me to convince my cheap rear end to even spend $200+ on one, but I really need something to replace the falling-apart 6 year old $20 Ikea chair I've got now.

A lot of the chairs linked in this thread look awfully bulky and, uh, office-y, but the room I'm turning into an office is pretty small. I want something with as little bulk as possible, so the room feels bigger. Is there anything else out there that might fit and isn't massively expensive?

We had one of the knockoffs in our office for a while and while I thought it looked nice, it wasn't very comfortable. That said, I've got a Steelcase Leap (not in use) in my office and think it's a piece of junk. I'm waiting on a Steelcase Criterion for my home office.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

get out posted:

Can you go into detail as to why you think its junk? I'm about to buy one and I don't want to make a bad purchase.

Sure, several reasons. I'll even sit in it and talk to you about all of the things I don't like! Granted I'm a picky person, you should sit in one in a showroom or whatever to make sure you like it.

Ahh yes, now I know. So the back plate has two ways to bend.

1) You can lean back (changing the pivot or angle from say, 90 degrees to 45 or so)

2) You can actually lean the back plate forward (towards you) if you sit with you rear end all the way to the back of the chair. Because of this, the plate tilts forward slightly and makes it impossible for me to lean back and be comfortable. Its somewhat difficult to describe but I always find myself trying to sit father back in the chair and being uncomfortable when I do, also, when trying to lean back and type this post out the bottom plate seems to lean forward (towards the front of the chair and towards the ground) some causing the whole thing to sort of spring board open.

That said, I was really happy when the office got all new chairs and tried every setting and option available but could never get comfortable, this was also after sitting in a Mira for a few months which gave me some sciatic nerve issues with my right leg. I went back to a simple L curved chair that leans back and has no options other than height and tension on the pivot and love it. Even sitting in this chair to discuss the issue causes my nerve to bother me.

Let me know if this helps you.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

k\o\w posted:

I got an aeron a few days ago and it's really making my back hurt and causing my rear end and thighs to fall asleep, maybe the size B is too small for my 6'1" 210lb goon frame.

Some poo poo you just can't buy online.

gently caress Herman Miller for pricing these at a point where no retail stores sell them!

Yea, you should stop using this chair right away. See my post on the last page or two, I've got some nerve issue from using a Mirra that either isn't sized properly or something. I'm around 6'1" 235lb and found the Steelcase Criterion to be a great chair.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Kim Jong III posted:

Check out the previously mentioned http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/ if you can't find anything closer to you.

I just ordered a Leap V2 from them, and it'll be $399 with delivery. You're much closer to their Chicago center than I am, so delivery might be cheaper.

I don't know what chair would be best for a 6'4" dude but maybe you can find something decent there?

Watch out, these guys sent me a Criterion that is missing the clip to hold the cylinder into the base. This means I have a ~200 lamp post sitting in my office.

http://imgur.com/a/O7Wov

Sent them an email and am waiting on a response. I have no idea what they are going to do.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Kim Jong III posted:

:ohdear:

Let us know how it works out. Someone else said they got a Mirra from them without any problems.

I talked with them over the phone before I ordered and they said they guarantee everything will be right, so hopefully they stand by that.

Yea, I ended up taking the washer/clip/star thingie out of my old office depo chair and refit this one together so I'm sitting in the criterion now. Dunno how they are going to respond though.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Chow-King posted:

For the guys who've ordered from here, how was the quality of the chair when your received it? I know they are used but are they trashed, lightly used, looks like new, etc?

Well, did you click on the image I linked? The box came trashed as all hell and was missing the lock ring/clip that keeps the gas chamber attached to the base. Besides that though, the chair is in immaculate condition. I have a feeling they replaced the upholstery before shipping it. I will note this one other thing, the chair I got has really sticky arm rests. I attacked it with some green clean for about 30 minutes and couldn't get it much less sticky. I currently have some dish towels wrapped around the arm rests until I get another chance to clean it. Overall I'm mildly disappointed with the whole thing but I can't ignore I have essentially a $700 chair for <$200. *Shrug*

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
National Office Liquidators shipped me a new brace for the chair, except they are missing one of the bearings that hugs the rod the chair uses for its gas chamber. God, what a loving failure. Anyway, I would not recommended using them, it took them almost 2 weeks AFTER I reported the lack of a bracket. So from start to finish it took 5 weeks to get the chair and replacement parts which STILL isn't all the right parts. Screw these guys. Love my chair though, thankfully I was able to replace the missing parts with my old chair. Now I can't even sell the old chair, I have to throw it away.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I wish I'd heard these posts last week, because I made my order on Tuesday :(

I posted this : http://imgur.com/a/O7Wov @ Mar 09, 2012

Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post401387116

Anyway, I'll recap, I did call them and I did get 'replacement parts' and those parts were not complete, it was missing the extra metal bearings. Hopefully you have better luck though.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My chair came. It looks like this:

I am so pissed off it is unbelievable.

Wow dude, sorry to hear it. I don't know why they don't understand that the chairs require slightly more packing material and tape than they are using.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Anybody know where I can find a Steel case Criterion arm-rest + the metal beam that the arm rest sits on. I could find replacement cushions but not the whole armrest.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

smooth jazz posted:

I just received my Aeron Basic large and I find the edge of the seat really digs into my thighs. It's remarkably uncomfortable, bordering on painful.

I don't think I'm going to get used to it. The Ikea Markus was much better, to be honest.

Extremely disappointed, what a waste... and now I can look forward to dealing with craiglist morons to get rid of this thing.

Just don't do what I did and give yourself Sciatic nerve problems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nervus_ischiadicus) from sitting on a chair that just doesn't fit properly.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

johnnyXcrane posted:

I got the Herman Miller Mirra for like half an year now.
And now im getting problems with my butt and my legs. The cushion is too hard for me and my legs are getting numb because of the edge i guess.

Does anyone know a good cushion i could put on the chair? Maybe these cushions for wheelchairs?

Don't, throw the drat thing away. See my post on this page for reference.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

johnnyXcrane posted:

That fuckin char costs me 1200$, drat it.
I read that you can remove the front cushion on the Aeron and that makes it better. Maybe that would work on the Mirra too?

drat FUCKIN CHAIRS

Is it possible you just didn't get the right size? I used a hand-me-down in the office and found after months of sitting in it how bad it was for me, it could have been related to the size but I honestly think that chair is the devil. I got a steelcase criterion now and love it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Quanta posted:

I hate, hate the Aeron because I find it uncomfortable, it makes me feel tired and the edge of the seat really digs into my hamstrings. FWIW, I'm about 5'8" and have an average-to-slim build. The one thing I will say about it though is that it's built like an absolute tank and will probably last until your great-great-great-great grandchildren's lifetime. I think this is the main reason for its popularity to this day to businesses.

My Leap V2, which I find heaven compared to the Aeron, already squeaks when I rotate the seat.

I really didn't like those or the Mirras for the same reason, I'm 6'2 @ 230lb though. I'm currently on a Criterion and while it's a good chair I'm looking for something a little bit better.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Gas tube on my 10 year old Steelcase Criterion is failing and I'm just replacing the chair with a Embody rather than worrying about it. It's got other goofy issues like the arm rests don't work properly anymore.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Josh Lyman posted:

During extended sessions at the desk, my trapezius usually becomes sore. What does it indicate I should look into adjusting?

The height of your monitor in relationship to your head or the height of your keyboard in relationship to your elbows.

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-an-Ergonomically-Correct-Workstation something along these lines

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

SpartanIV posted:

Thanks to this thread I bought my first real office chair. A 1996 Aeron off of Craigslist for $200. It has the old style adjustable screw arms, and I had to disassemble and tighten one arm to get it to stay in place. The previous owner had a wooden dowel stuck into it to hold it up. Now it seems to work perfectly. The lumbar support is also falling apart but I like it better without it. Only other issue is there's some wobble on the main cylinder, but I bought a cylinder repair kit off Amazon which I think will correct the issue.

Anyone have any guides on how to install the parts when they get here? The videos I've found on youtube are low resolution and really terrible.

edit: Does anyone know the thickness of the silver washer on the bottom of the cylinder? I can't find a measurement online anywhere.

That washer has been universally the exact same on every chair I've owned (though I can't be assed to check on this embody).

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Comatoast posted:

I went to the Herman Miller showroom today and sat in an Embody chair. Ugh.. now I have to buy one. The bi-annual sale can't come soon enough.

I did some training at Redhat and they put us in a room with nothing but embody chairs, I bought one a few weeks later during the 15% off sale, love this chair :)

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Also, I'm sitting in an Embody and the back doesn't go up far enough to rest your head. Office chairs don't typically have head rests because you shouldn't be leaning back and sleeping...

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

GokieKS posted:

Bought an Embody (saved about $500 off retail via their Small Business, formerly S3, program). But it's going to take about 3 weeks to get here, so in the meantime I also bought an IKEA MALKOLM because it was $55.

yay embody best chair master.... chair.... thing.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

fanthom posted:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on an Embody.

Just wanted to ask: Rhythm or Balance fabric? Is balance work the extra cost?

I've read people complain there isn't enough cushion on the bare one. That said, I paid the extra for the fabric and haven't thought of it as uncomfortable in any way. Hope that helps

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Jehde posted:

My 8 year old Staples chair finally broke on me, arm rest snapped off which was supporting the back, so it's totalled now. I've been shopping for a new chair for awhile but now I have a lot more reason to prioritize it. I'm fairly tall and I've had lower back issues as far back as I can remember, from constantly sitting infront of a computer in crappy chairs from a very young age. This can make finding a good chair difficult as it needs a tall enough back and sufficient enough lumbar support.

Fortunately my work is going to get me a new chair too, after I did an ergonomic assessment recently. So far I've tried an HM Embody as a loaner, and got an Aeron loaner on its way for evaluation. The Embody was amazing, except for the back being like half an inch too short for me and not very much in terms of lumbar adjustment. Ofcourse work is going to foot the bill for whatever I get there so I can get whatever I want aslong as it's on standing offer, which my work has with an HM dealer.

But for home, I'm hesitant to spend like a grand (of Canadian monies) on a chair. I've sat in a Markus at an Ikea, and it seemed alright, but I noticed the back kind of slanted away, so while there was a bit of lumbar support, there wasn't really anything there for my upper back. I've tried to look for used Aerons on craigslist, as I know I like Aerons from stealing my coworkers' chairs, but any ad for them never responds to any queries.

Any tips for a tall and cheap goon that has lower back problems?

How tall is tall? I'm right at 6'1 and the embody isn't too short for me? Everybody has their preferences though.. I mean if you're like 6'10 or something it's going to be hard to find a decent chair no matter what.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Rabid Snake posted:

The Aeron might not be the most comfy chair but it sure forces you into a correct sitting posture which is good if you work 8-5 at a desk.

This is not universally true. The chair needs to fit the person's size first and foremost.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Yeah I've done that before, but I'll only have a brief time to evaluate (30 minutes maybe). I'm trying to figure out which ones to specifically focus on.

It's going to be difficult for you to know for sure, but I believe the good HM chairs have a satisfaction guaranteed sort of warranty where you can return it if you don't like it. That's what helped me drop $1300 on one.

http://store.hermanmiller.com/Returns-And-Exchanges

Also, as an owner of the embody I really think it's one of the best chairs I've ever owned.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Thanks Ants posted:

AFAIK the Mirra (and Mirra 2) are many years newer than the Aeron and lots of people find them to be better. I think HM keeps the Aeron around mainly due to momentum, or furnishing TV sets with.

Please don't ever buy an Aeron

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

qsvui posted:

Please explain

The design is ancient, it's not for sitting in all day, it was originally a task chair. The loving thing gave me sciatic nerve damage. So yea, gently caress the Aeron. Read the Ergonomics section on the wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair

There's like a million reasons why this chair is horrible but people have it in their head it's the "high end chair for all things sitting!!!!!1"

Read, it's not.

Edit: Also, read this thread, many other people share this opinion but you might have to go back 20 pages or so.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Tedronai66 posted:

The leap gave me sciatic nerve damage, and helped aide in the herniation of two discs, requiring surgery. I can tell you sitting in an Aeron (when sitting at sit/stand desk) is like a loving dream compared to those lovely chairs.

The Aeron and some bodybuilt something or other have been there only two chairs I can comfortably sit in for a few hours at a time without noticeable pain. And I tend to notice it pretty fast.

That doesn't mean the Aeron is for everyone, or the leap is for no one, I get that. That's why getting an ergonomic evaluation and testing out various models is key. I'm about to raise hell with my workplace to either let me bring a spare Aeron from home (yay Craigslist), or buy me one, because both of their "ergo" options leave me in pain (leap and teknion project)

Yea, I get that. Just design wise the aeron is 20 years old and should be let go, if you're looking for good advice in this thread, it should honestly be: don't get an aeron. If you have one and it's comfortable that's fine, but understand the issues and reasons why it's not the best.

foutre posted:

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just from wikipedia, it sounds like if it a) goes higher, a la type C and b) you sit 'perched' on the front portion, then that's basically ok. Is it more of an issue if you like, sit/lean back in it?

Basically, I got a type C (admittedly a lot of list price) so I'm kind of committed to using it atm, but also don't want to gently caress up my sciatic nerve...

e: Ok, having read the linked article, it kind of sounds like the answer is either a) use a high stool or b) don't sit at all... well poo poo.

Tedronai makes a good point here and I think it applies to what you're asking. The mesh bottom on the aeron (for me) gave me nerve damage. That's not to say everybody will develop it (obviously) but it is to say the design isn't right for some people.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They're ubiquitous and they are older versions. Steelcase sells "V2" versions of the same chair.

To add, used office/task chairs can be pretty drat cheap when companies have to sell 100 of them. I picked up a used steelcase chairs for around $200 shipped years back.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Oxxidation posted:

Found out that the piston rod of my used Leap dropped low enough at some point for the screw to make contact with the ground and it's been gouging the hell out of my floor. Bye-bye, security deposit.

I'm buying bigger casters to make up for the difference, but does anyone know if the rod is just going to keep falling?

You'll need to replace the it. There isn't much in the way of repair you can do on it and yea, it'll only get worse.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

I'm sitting in my new Steelcase Gesture chair and holy moley, this thing was worth every damned cent. It's built like the proverbial brick outhouse (and weighs a ton) but feels quality, nothing squeaks, and it's the comfiest chair I've ever owned. I've only had it a few hours but man, it's lightyears ahead of the Ergohuman I tried in a local store.

We try to tell people to get real chairs here but it's an uphill battle. I'll basically never give up my embody now that I've got one.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

zer0spunk posted:

It seems the biggest complaint about the Aeron is the chair edge digging into your legs..is that an issue you guys have had? Someone mentioned a company that makes some sort of soft liner but I can't find anything about it. Just curious. I'm 5'10 and I've heard that complaint from people who identify as "short" so I'm wondering what that means exactly.

I'm one of the people who've made this complaint and I attribute permanent sciatic nerve damage to it. I'm not an overly large guy either, at the time I was about 230 at 6'1. The chair fit a little small, but the front 'lip' dug into me and I didn't do anything about it, assuming I was sitting in the chair wrong or it was somehow my fault. I really regret that.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Codeacious posted:

Thanks to all the previous posters for thoughts & recommendations on chairs. I read through a chunk of the thread and eventually decided on getting a chair from the local university campus surplus warehouse- since it's a large university, they have a ton of stuff for really cheap. They didn't have any HM models, but lots of Steelcase chairs. I found a Leap v2 made in 2010 that, from what I could tell, was barely used and a bit dusty for $250, so I grabbed it.

Just as a FYI, steelcase has a pretty good warranty: https://www.steelcase.com/warranty/

quote:

SEATING
12 years
Mechanisms, pneumatic cylinders, arm caps, foam, casters and glides,
Max-StackerŽII, Max-StackerŽ III, wood frame side chairs, tablet arms,
Node™ personal worksurface, Steelcase Health recliner components and
optional accessories other than internal structure, Coalesse lounge wood,
bent-ply or steel frames

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Etrips posted:

Depending on how much you use your chair, I would advocate for just splurging for the Embody. Kinda like a mattress in the sense if you spend a lot of time in it, spend some good money on quality.

That and if you go with something direct, you get a lifetime warranty. Which I intend to use should my chair ever break.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Deviant posted:

What's the best upgrade if I'm sick of my old Aeron and spend most of my work/play time at the same desk/chair setup?

Was eyeing an embody, but $1500 is a lot.

It's the most glorious chair I've ever had :), also it's got a 12 year warranty (for some reason I thought this was lifetime), just consider it $100/year to sit.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

TheEye posted:

I used a Markus at work years ago, and I liked it a lot at first, but within around 6 months I couldn't use it frequently or it was too uncomfortable. There were no other chairs, so I stacked up some boxes for a makeshift standing desk and then only used the Markus sporadically.

The Markus is in my opinion, a very weak chair. I actually preferred a no-name task chair over it that only had height adjustment and arms. But like others have posted, if it sits well for you, go with it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Etrips posted:

I do not know how badly you need a new chair, but H&M should be having it's 15% semi-annual sale starting either May or June.

I'm willing to bet the dealer will cut him the same sort of deal if he works with them enough.

My vote is the Embody (because I'm sitting in one now and it's a marvelous chair), but I do agree you should sit in them first.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Deviant posted:

I have a chair adjacent question!

Years ago, I had a chair mat that i used to protect my carpet. My current chair is stretching and/or damaging my area rug i have it on, and I'd like to get another one.

HOWEVER:

Over time, the plastic on the chair mat hardened up, causing me to accidentally kick the raised edge once and cut the ever loving poo poo out of my foot.

Can someone recommend a chair mat that won't do this?

I'd just get a cheap rug and use the regular casters on my chair with them. I don't much care that my rug is going to be ruined in a few years, it was cheap and replaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Deviant posted:

I don't want to alarm anyone, but my Embody is on its way here right now. :D

All glory to you! Godspeed to the gooniest chair of all.