Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I must agree with others on here--go to a store that sells multiple high-end brands and sit in their chairs. It's the only way to know. I brought a newspaper and magazine and sat in each of them for 20 minutes at a minimum. This allowed me to test out what the biggest problem is for me: I need a bottom that doesn't get my hamstrings hot. I'm sitting on a Leap right now at work and I don't like it because I still have to get up all of the time to walk around. At home my Embody still uses a mesh-like material that keeps the chair cool. I can sit in that thing for hours without needing to get up, and when I get bored with sitting 'straight' I can mess with the controls and lean back. Excellent chair; no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

friendly gentleman posted:

So I've got an Aeron already - deal with it. But I always hear fuss about a footstool when reading about computer ergonomics. Does anyone do this? Is there any commendable "footstool" product that won't make me look dumb?

I'm tall and I use a footstool that is some metal tubing with grooved upholstered plywood riding in the grooves so that the angle can change. It really is nice to take pressure off your lower thighs. Along with my Embody now my torso, pelvis, and footstool and move around in slight degrees which I feel helps when I'm sitting static.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I can find myself doing that. You may try locking the recline in place at the topmost spot, then adjusting to that, and gradually releasing it as you get more accustomed. I find you still have a bit of support movement looking over your shoulders and leaning around even locked upright. Also do you have a foot rest? I find that it helps my pelvis get the proper geometry and really makes it very hard to mess up my posture.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cliffy posted:

What is everyone's opinion on the Embody? I just saw one pop up on my local craigslist for ~$500. I don't have any experience sitting in one. I currently have an Aeron which is mostly comfortable, and I like it, but extended periods can still be detrimental for my back.

I understand that sitting is not good for long periods anyway, but life as a programmer dictates some sedentary time.

Should I snatch it up? I'll definitely sit in it before making a purchase, but it's difficult to gauge the experience without sitting in it for long periods.

Yes, the Embody is awesome. I like it better than the Aeron, but you should sit in it to see if you do. Great deal though.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've had an Embody for nearly 3 years and it doesn't seem to function any differently than it did on day 1, I have no deflection or anything when I'm not on it. If the person before you wasn't a fatgoon it's probably going to be in great shape. Best chair I've ever had, I don't ever think about it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also I just found some Mirras at Microsofts booth. Last year they had all Embodys. Guess Herman Miller has totally given up on it.

Any idea why? I absolutely love the Embody and just recently directed my latest friend to get one a few weeks ago, so I'd be interested In knowing.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
How tall are you? For me, this thing is at its best with the seat bottom extended all the way out, and a foot rest for your feet (first google result that looks like mine). From there, locking the tilt back into place and then sitting back in the seat makes it extremely comfortable for me for long work sessions.

Can you tell us where it's painful or what's not feeling right? It may be easier to help that way.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Have you thought of getting a foot rest to relieve hip / leg pressure? I'm not quite as tall as you but it helped my legs tremendously. Personally I think it works better than a seat cushion because the backs of your legs can still get airflow.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
A nice chair changed my life. Year 5 and still going strong.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
All I can say is that since I bought mine, I've never had to "think" about my chair again, if that makes sense. I got mine from Office Designs but it looks like they don't give such a deal these days, it's $300 more than I paid 5 years ago.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

particle9 posted:

I'm pretty torn between the Embody and the Gesture. Going to have to find a showroom where I can try out the Gesture but DWR has the Embody. I really liked the Embody but the static arm rests are kind of bumming me out, not sure if I'm making too big a deal out of it. I've always used Aerons at work and a lovely Ikea throw away at home.

Between retailers does anyone know if Smartfurniture or Officedesigns are reputable? I can get the Embody from DWR but then I have to pay a ton for state sales tax and shipping (like 17%). Smartfurniture seems to have a more friendly website.

What do you mean by static arm rests? They should pivot out (width) and adjust height too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Ric Flair of geekdom.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
To me that tends to mean your upper legs are resting too much weight on the chair and it's time to look into a foot rest.

Also at risk of sounding like a shill the Embody has a softer edge and it's adjustable/extendable.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nice. They don’t seem to offer the JJTrek bridge colors like back in 2009 but I like the black on black on black as a stealth chair.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mesh is great for ventilation as well as the material on the Embody which is soft yet breathable

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bunk Rogers posted:

Anyone in the DC area able to get a deal on Herman Miller chairs? I'm set on picking up an Embody but the Healthy Back store will only offer 10% currently.

I was in DC when I ordered and embody (in November 2009!) and it looks like the best deal at the time was ordering from OfficeDesigns.com. They actually have remained the same price from the looks of it. Can't get that sweet mango color any more, though. Not sure if it's considered a "deal" but I think they had 0% financing at the time.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah. As someone who has one for work and one for home, the Embody is so much better it’s crazy.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

Just buy the embody. Especially if work is giving you that 2k.

Absolutely

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Personally I can’t stand adjusting the resist and would like my chair to lock out going back. Some setons used to do that but some of the cheaper or conference room ones just have the resistance.

Overall very comfortable. Aeron vs Embody is like debating BlendTec vs VitaMix when almost everyone else is using the Sunbeam.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For that price I’d try to get a used Aeron or Leap or whatever. Not having mesh in the seat would make my legs mad after a while

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I would take a used Aeron in good shape over the one you linked, yes. The things I would check are 1) pellicle in good shape, 2) mechanics of spin and forward/back tilt are in good order. For me, ensuring the recline lockout (limiting the amount of recline by adjusting the slider) is something I always check. Check the full range of controls here: https://www.hermanmiller.com/customer-service/chair-adjustments/ Other things like the piston or casters you can repair yourself pretty easily, but obviously take the best one or ask them to knock more off the price.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good to see OfficeDesigns is still killin’ it. That’s where I got mine more than 10 years ago. And looking it up sounds like I still have over a year and a half of warranty left!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how the Embody has evolved over the last 10 years?

I looked at my build sheet and I wouldn't be able to buy the same configuration today... I have Papaya with Balance fabric and it looks like they only have black and white Balance fabric today, but it's the most premium fabric option?

No more JJTrek Enterprise chairs :smith:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like the desks from Uplift but I just ordered one and they are having hyooge supply problems. Laminate and bamboo seem fine though.

Check out their static or standing linear desks

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just got a new desk that has a really nice wood varnish finish. Is the right thing to still get a 3M mousepad? Or clean the bottom of the mouse or put teflon tape on all the pads?

The old veneer desk got wrecked where I moused, but it was also 13 years old. Just trying to preserve the finish in that square foot of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

tehinternet posted:

Same here, the tensioner is 10/10

Hmm I’ll have to mess with this, I rarely unlock mine and don’t even know where the tensioner is on my Embody. I generally like my chairs to resist me a lot so I’ll see if I can find it and crank it.