Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone here ever replace their pneumatic cylinder on Aerons?

I'm mid-replacement dealing with a portion of it stuck into the tilt mechanism. It actually separated on me so I had that plus the column of the cylinder stuck in the base which I was able to remove earlier today. The last few hours however have been unsuccessful in removing the cylinder from the chair itself. I've been hammering with a rubber mallet the chair's bottom while pulling the cylinder firmly or hammering from the top with 3/8 drive bit since that's all I have that comes close to the diameter and using a plumber wrench to try twisting it out and of course WD-40 in between it all but of course nothing to show for it except gnarled steel.

I'm probably done for today because hands are beat even with wearing work gloves and I live in an apartment and I doubt the neighbors would appreciate the noise any further.

Edit: Awesome! Picked up a proper pipe wrench today and with a bit of elbow grease and more WD-40, I was able to get the cylinder out finally. 14 years of loosened gunk on there:

Now my Aeron is almost good as new (seat frame was replaced 2 weeks ago and I'm considering getting the posture-fit thing)

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You can do it with a hammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxy9Obkso_s

Although on some older chairs, the cylinder may be so impacted that it's incredibly difficult to remove it. I've had to actually break the cylinder on several chairs to get it out.

That was actually one of the methods I tried for a brief time, but I didn't have much luck with it and I really didn't like banging a regular hammer on the metal frame. Maybe when I swap it again in the future and it not with 14 years of press fit. :unsmith:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

smushroomed posted:

I'm thinking about buying one a HM aeron size b off craigslist, they go for less than 400

Is there a huge risk of buying a fake? How can I make sure I'm getting a decent one?

None that I know of. The price is low because of the sheer amount of them out there because of how many businesses buy the chairs then go under (see: the dotcom bubble) and get picked up by surplus shops.

As far as getting a decent one, you need to check the pellicle (mesh) on both the back and seat. Are they in good condition? Are there any tears? The frames of the seat and back, are there any cracks? The armrests, depending on the build, they come in vinyl (most common), leather and upholstered. Is the vinyl cracked? Do all the adjustment knobs work? The lumbar pad though you can take or leave because that's usually the first thing that breaks on the chair. The pneumatic cylinder, does it go down when you sit on it? Try to get one that works because replacing it can be a pain.

Also make sure that size B is for your weight and height: https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/product_literature/other/AP_SizeFitRef.pdf

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

smushroomed posted:

Ty for this, I can buy one in confidence now.

Do they have a manufacture date on hem anywhere?

They do actually. It'll be under the front lip of the seat unless the seat frame has been replaced. But the date isn't too much of a big deal. Herman Miller's warranty only extends to the original purchaser of the chair. But it can help with getting replacement parts in the future as the chair went through a few revisions through the years.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Misogynist posted:

There's a good chance you'll end up replacing the lumbar pad with the PostureFit support anyway, because the lumbar pad sucks rear end unless you're reasonably tall.

And yeah, there's plenty of chairs on the market because of 2008.

I knew I had a half-thought leftover about the lumbar pad. I didn't think of it because the kit is pricey and figured he didn't want to spend more than what he going to on the chair.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

eriddy posted:

I went to a healthyback store today and tried out the aeron, embody, leap, etc all for the first time.

My initial and lasting impression is that they have a lot of levers and cranks and dials and the sales reps don't like it when you release the seat recline lock and swing wildly backwards in every fancy chair they have.

My other impression was that the forward tilt mode on the Aeron provided the best support for my usual working posture.

I will likely pick up a used Aeron off craigslist soon. Are there any particular areas to closely inspect on these? Is it pretty much just "make sure all the adjustments work and there aren't any holes in it"?

Check for cracks on the back and seat frames.
Pellicle mesh should be in good shape with pad at the front of the seat.
Levers all work?
Armrests, if any, are they also in good shape?
Lumbar pad doesn't matter because it always breaks. Invest in the Posture Kit instead if you care for your lumbar support.

Beyond that "checklist", I'd also check the pneumatic cylinder. Try to get one that still has pressure, they are a pain to replace without proper tools.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

2 and a half years ago my left arm rest for my Aeron broke, I ordered a new part from a chair shop for 35 bucks after shipping for a single bolt (:gonk:) and associated pieces to fix. Like clockwork, the right arm broke the other night. I was expecting it. I hit up the same chair shop for the part and just my luck, Herman Miller marks the part as no longer user replaceable and would need to turn it in to the shop, or any authorized Herman Miller shop to get it fixed. Nuts to that, that's more money and me having to take my chair in.

I started scouring sites for the part and unfortunately couldn't find it since the Aerons went to the newer levered design and figured there were getting rarer to get a hold of. Then I started looking on ebay. Ended up coming across this auction for some home machined bolts with a different assembly from the official parts. 30 bucks with free shipping for both arms. Sounds fair and figured I'd give it try and apparently offers a 2 year warranty on them and says his customers haven't complained about any breakage. I look forward to another opportunity to partially disassemble my chair so here's hoping they're as good as he says they are.

$35.88 - Arm bolt, first repair I did in 2012
$69.95 - Pneumatic cylinder replacement I've posted about before in this thread late 2014.
$29.95 - Home machined bolts just purchased, 2015

$135.78 - Total repairs over 3 years for my free Aeron that is at this point 14-15 years old? Eh, I'll take it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Got the bolts I mentioned in the above post and installed them after I got home. They are loving rock solid.

They came with very verbose instructions that covered a number of situations (3 double-sided pages!). The wooden jig that comes with the bolts is used to stick in the rail of the arm adjustment slot to hold up the arm as you're screwing it in and made the process really easy. I can still move the arms up and down with not much issue and they lock down very tightly. The set still uses all but the original bolts, spring leaves and screw blocks.

Pretty much why the original bolts break is that they get sheared right from the bolt head on the block as shown below on the left side.

These replacement bolts appear to be fitted into the blocks they are attached to and have more surface area attached to it which is probably why they are solidly built.

Highly recommended for older Aerons!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

So I am seriously considering the OfficeMaster OM5, and giving my Maxnomic to a friend for cheap, but I want to know where the best place to order one from is? I really want to get the better armrests for it too.

Edit: I am confused, I am assuming I cannot order it straight from their site right? There are options and things but no shopping cart.

Retailers only. They don't sell direct.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It's the one saving grace I have about my Aeron even when I've been looking at that OM5 the past couple of days. The ubiquitous amount of replacement parts is just staggering. I've swapped several parts of my chair (OEM seat pan, OEM hydraulic cylinder, custom arm rest bolts) that I've documented in this thread just to be able to use it just a little bit longer. :unsmith:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 6, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mirra or Mirra 2? Same price. Do I want to pay an extra $125 for a "Tilt Limiter"? I have no idea what that is.

The tilt limiter lets you change the max reclining position. It's not that great because the part wears out easily and loses grip over time. At my old IT job that was one of the usual complaints with Aerons though I have no idea if it has been improved on the Mirras. Better off just adjusting the tension knob. It'll give you better results.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 8, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Thanks for the advice on the Mirra options. However, a quick trip to the DWR showroom confirms that the Aeron is like... 5x more comfortable. God drat! I had been told that the Aeron was an outdated, outclassed design; but at least for me there was no comparison.

Some coworkers have the Mirra in the lab. Compared to them to my Aeron at home, I prefer the aeron. The back of the Mirra is really meh, but I do like the wider seat on it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

isndl posted:

Any opinions on the IKEA Malkolm? At a glance it seems like a smaller/cheaper Markus, but maybe there's something I'm missing.

The 10 year warranty the Markus has for one thing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bathtub Cheese posted:

The underlying problem is that there are severely limited opportunities to try high end chairs in a retail setting. I bought a used Leap v2 after lurking this thread for some time, and it just didn't work out for me, despite it clearly being a high end, well designed chair. I don't know, in the future I am just going to strictly adhere to a philosophy of try before buying. That can't be emphasized enough.

I agree with this sentiment. Pretty much the only reason I stick with my Aeron is because it's literally the chair I had at my last job and took it with me as part of my severance when I got laid off, otherwise I would have bought one. Before then I was buying chairs based on others' reviews only to be disappointed immensely.

Everyone's got a different butt. :iiam:

Edit: I would be lying if I didn't think about getting the OM5, but recent posts have curbed that.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 3, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

shizen posted:

Anyone know what model this may be? Craiglist add for Aeron Chair that I'm interested in.

There's only been one Herman Miller Aeron. What's different would be the size (at a glance, looks like B), control levers (hard to see with that picture) and if it has adjustable arms or not, which that particular one has.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Well poo poo I tried using an adjustable wrench and a plier wrench and both only managed to scratch the cylinder, which didn't budge at all. Do I have to use one of those massive pipe wrenches aka in this video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8P6Ek2kHRY

If it's an old chair, yes. There's poo poo in there that's been sitting there and hardening over time. I had a hell of a time getting the old cylinder out of my Aeron. If you aren't already doing it, consider using WD-40 to help loosen that gunk up.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

NickPancakes posted:

Hey guys, are there any reputable online places to look for quality chairs (Aeron, Leap, etc) in the $300-400 range, or maybe a good base model that's in that range? I'm setting up some craigslist watches setup for the major names, but so far no dice, and the liquidators yielded nothing but some serious beat up Aerons that I couldn't talk them any lower than $450 for, so I passed.

New? You will never see that. 300-400 is gonna be used only territory and most online places don't sell used because they're authorized resellers and will only sell new chairs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm tall I have bad posture I use my chair a lot. Where do I start?

Get a chair with strong lumbar support and no headrest . Don't slouch when you're sitting.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

My friend wants a chair for $200. I don't think there are any specific requirements other than being the best he can get at that price. I'm wondering if I should tell him to try and find a used high-end one at an office liquidators. Any recommendations for a new one or a reliable source online for a used one?

IKEA Markus. It's 200 dollars and people like it. 10 year limited warranty.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I use this guy's arm bolt replacements for the Aeron and they seem to do the job on keeping the arm rests where I want them.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/brian_725?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It's a Mirra 1. Mirra 2 puts fabric on the backrest.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Huh, guess I've never seen a Mirra 1 with fabric then. There's several here at work.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Neurostorm posted:

I'm going over old posts and I saw this -- looks like kickstarter suspended the funding since it's already actually for sale and they were using kickstarter as marketing? Anyways at the moment it's only $179 plus $40 shipping. I should avoid it completely though right? My fiance needs a desk chair, and we're on a budget, so I was thinking if it's not crap it might be good to look into. On the other hand, we can get the markus shipped for $250, so maybe that's the better route. She's in a somewhat small town and we haven't had luck with craigslist.

Edit: Actually does anybody have any experience shipping office chairs? I have an extra Aeron I could just ship to her but I'm guessing that might cost an awful lot.

It was suspended because they were reselling a chair from China and passing it off as a new creation. Some redditor found out about it and reported it to Kickstarter.

That's why they are selling them directly now and people are still buying them. :psyduck:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ILikeVoltron posted:

The design is ancient, it's not for sitting in all day, it was originally a task chair. The loving thing gave me sciatic nerve damage. So yea, gently caress the Aeron. Read the Ergonomics section on the wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair

There's like a million reasons why this chair is horrible but people have it in their head it's the "high end chair for all things sitting!!!!!1"

Read, it's not.

Edit: Also, read this thread, many other people share this opinion but you might have to go back 20 pages or so.

I'd like to not use my Aeron, but it's comfortable in warm settings on account of the seat and back being mesh.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

I assume the SecretLab chairs are poo poo? Their complete lack of a return or refund policy kind of kills it for me.

They're Twitch streamer style chairs and based in Singapore with no real presence in the US. So they are probably poo poo on all fronts.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

couldcareless posted:

A guy selling a few Aerons has popped up on my local CL after I've been watching pretty regularly for some. He has offered me a slightly damaged B with full configuration options for $200.
The damage is this:

Considering that I have pretty much never seen any legit listings in my area, is this worth it? I'm getting desperate for a new chair as my 8 year old office depot special is quite literally falling to pieces

Mesh runs are fairly common on old Aerons and they can be replaced without having to change the frame if the frame isn't damaged. $200 is probably fine if everything else is in good shape (i.e. all the mechanical stuff, the piston and base, etc.)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Boxman posted:

I've played this game before in this thread but can someone glance at these chairs to see if it's worth a trip to give one of them a test sit?

Steelcase leap for $200

Ugly rear end Steelcase Leap for $100

Those seem comically inexpensive for chairs that come as highly recommended (and retail for as much) as Leaps do. Am I missing something that makes them this cheap besides "used?"

They're ubiquitous and they are older versions. Steelcase sells "V2" versions of the same chair.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

They look like every other gamer/streamer chair out now? Take that as you will.

Edit: Oh right, I remember these guys. They're based in Singapore and have no real presence in the US. I'd pass based on warranty alone which by the way is only 2 years.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 26, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

My Aeron is on its last ride.

Soon it will be time for me to find something else.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Deviant posted:

it's the same polyurethane as every cheap officemax chair, right?

Yep, the #1 thing that makes me look the other way.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The Milkman posted:

I use Flor Tiles in place of a mat. 2x2 array is plenty for one seat, but I'm considering 2x3 to match length of the desk.

Those are pretty snazzy. If I ever get a place with hard floors, I'd probably check these out.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

I found a Craigslist listing for brand new Aeron's that came off a show room floor. Intact warranty, and at least one of them is the refreshed model. He's asking $500 ea., which seems like a decent price. I'm considering checking them out, anything I should be aware of?

Herman Miller warranties don't transfer over though if the showroom floor is also the seller and they are an authorized Herman Miller reseller, it might be fine.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

So what you are saying is verify the seller is an authorized reseller, and not some dude who got them off the back of a truck?

In so many words, yes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

OpaqueEcho posted:

I may be able to haggle him down. He said he has AE111 and AE113 in B and C sizes; I understand the sizing, but looking at this, I'm not sure what the difference in model numbers means:
https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/pricing/PB_AER_C.pdf

The model numbers on Aerons are strings that dictate the features on the chair. What size is it, does it have fully adjustable arms, regular piston or draft chair piston, etc.

An AE111 is a chair with standard tilt and AE113 is a chair with tilt limiter and seat angle.

If they seller gave you the full string you could know everything about that chair down to the color by looking at the chart in that PDF.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ILikeVoltron posted:

Just as a FYI, steelcase has a pretty good warranty: https://www.steelcase.com/warranty/

Those are normally non-transferable. Used chairs wouldn’t be that cheap if they were.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Anyone use rollerblade style casters on medium pile carpet? Wondering if there's any alternatives for polycarbonate and vinyl chair mats.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

For reference, I still use my Aeron that was manufactured in 2000. Longevity extended through easily purchasable parts for repairs. So far, I’ve replaced the piston, 2 seat pans and replaced the arm chair bolts with aftermarket bolts that some guy in ebay machines himself.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Replacing parts is reasonably simple on most name-brand chairs, but getting a gas strut out after 10+ years of someone sitting on it is quite tricky.

Holy poo poo was it a loving adventure:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone here ever replace their pneumatic cylinder on Aerons?

I'm mid-replacement dealing with a portion of it stuck into the tilt mechanism. It actually separated on me so I had that plus the column of the cylinder stuck in the base which I was able to remove earlier today. The last few hours however have been unsuccessful in removing the cylinder from the chair itself. I've been hammering with a rubber mallet the chair's bottom while pulling the cylinder firmly or hammering from the top with 3/8 drive bit since that's all I have that comes close to the diameter and using a plumber wrench to try twisting it out and of course WD-40 in between it all but of course nothing to show for it except gnarled steel.

I'm probably done for today because hands are beat even with wearing work gloves and I live in an apartment and I doubt the neighbors would appreciate the noise any further.

Edit: Awesome! Picked up a proper pipe wrench today and with a bit of elbow grease and more WD-40, I was able to get the cylinder out finally. 14 years of loosened gunk on there:

Now my Aeron is almost good as new (seat frame was replaced 2 weeks ago and I'm considering getting the posture-fit thing)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I reckon a bearing puller and some custom bits of welded steel bracketry would do a great job of getting them out, but it's not something people generally have access to.

Pipe wrench was 8 bucks at my local Harbor Freight, can't complain. Learned after the fact, that it's more or less the de facto tool for this sort of thing and cheap enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Use rollerblade style wheels?