Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Has anyone in Canada dealt with these guys?

http://grshop.com/herman-miller-aeron-chair-basic-aeron-chair.html

Mrs. Slidebite wants to buy me a new task chair for Christmas, and the small city we live in means it will need to be mail order. Their prices seem decent. Thoughts?

edit: Also, I'm about 6' 220 with a 38" waist, do you think I should get a "C" frame or would a "B" be better? Thanks :)

Double edit: Just read the whole thread and leaning towards an embody now. Mirra 2 aren't shown as for sale yet :(

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well I just ordered a fully loaded Embody from the Herman Miller dealer in Calgary for $850 shipped to my door (I might be out a few bucks, but close). Decent deal I thought since I live 2 hours away and it'll save me the drive! That is $200 cheaper than the best online price I could find in Canada (the guys I linked above).

bull3964 posted:

When IS the Mirra 2 going to be released, it seems like it has been "coming soon" for the past 6 months.
Coincidentally, when I was at the dealer in Calgary they had the Herman Miller rep in store for a pre-launch of the Mirra 2. They were having a party for their big clients and designers. I got some decent time in it and the Mirra 1 so I was able to compare back to back. I must say, I did quite like the Mirra 2. I think it looks better too and I like the design of the back over the 1.

They said they are shooting for January 15th launch date and are confident they can make it this time. They ran into a snag in development which they wanted to correct so they had to postpone the launch for several months.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ I see Aerons and Mirras up for sale on craigs/kijiji with some regularity.

That Ikea Markus seems to get a lot of love in this thread for a reasonably priced mass market chair.

Antioch posted:

Where did you get your chair from? I'm in Edmonton and I've been having a hard time finding tplaces that aren't "Well you can order them, but you need to order at least 10 to make it worth our while"

http://www.contemporary.ab.ca/

They have a location in Edmonton.

I got the best deal on graphite/graphite. Originally I was going to go with molasses color material, but for <$900 CAD$$ for a loaded Embody I wasn't going to complain and black is pretty darn safe.

These guys order chairs from Herman Miller all the time so I doubt it would be much of an issue throwing an extra chair on a PO. In fact, he didn't even wince in the slightest when I just said 1 just for myself. No haggling either as the price was pretty darn reasonable from the get go.

I suspect since you would be able to pick it up, you might even get a better deal. He didn't say I had an extra charge for delivery, but freight certainly isn't free so he probably padded the price a few bucks.

To top it off, he said he'd even warranty it for me on site, 2 hours away if necessary.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 12, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Mirra 2 was pretty comfortable, I must admit. If I wasn't buying an Embody, that almost certainly would have been my choice.

They are indeed discontinuing the original Mirra when they launch the 2 next month.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That said, there's no reason for the back to be that high, and I hope they don't intend anyone to actually use that headrest section. It makes my neck hurt just looking at it.
Yeah, that is pretty high isn't it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

just received an email from the place where I ordered the embody advising me it is shipping right away from the factory and I should receive around January 2nd. Pretty decent service in my opinion.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jedit posted:

The Mirra 2 is now officially on sale, list price approximately $750 before tax (it's £718 inc 20% VAT in the UK).

That's more than I would have thought to be honest. I was able to get an Embody for $100-ish more than that, as a walk in off the street clown. I wonder if they'll discount much?

I must say, I liked the Mirra2 though. Felt pretty darn good in the 10 minutes I sat in one.

Ashley Madison posted:

Does anyone know a HumanScale retailer in Canada? I'm really interested in a few of their chairs and a Float desk, but I'm having a really hard time finding any pricing.
Gabriel Ross sells humanscale (almost bought my Herman Miller through them)

http://grshop.com/shop-by-brand/humanscale.html

Can't speak for their prices though so YMMV.

In other news, Embody is due tomorrow! :neckbeard:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No problem! Keep in mind though, their shipping isn't really free, it's just hidden in the price. They were $300+ higher on my Embody, even when on "sale" so something to be aware of.

Something dropped by today!

And here it is, all set up to pretty close how I'll keep it. Looks utterly space age compared to my Corporate Express monstrosity.

Typing from it right now :buddy:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure if we covered this yet or not, but any tips on proper adjustment of an ergo chair?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the info and links, will check them out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

OK guys, what's the cheapest possible place I can get a Herman Miller Embody, new or used, and pay with a credit card?

Try you local (or as local as possible) Herman Miller dealer? Mine was waaaay cheaper then the best online price and shipped it to my door.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am in Canada, but I think mine was $850 or something like that +tax shipped to my door. It was the standard black/black config.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It sounds like you need to try a different dealer. My local guy took the time to show me all the fabrics and options even though it was only a 1x order and the price was untouchable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Vikings posted:

Any thoughts on mirra 1 vs 2? Had the chance to try out a mirra 1 which was pretty comfortable and it's cheaper than the mirra 2s. Can't find any 2s around to try sitting in.

I know this is an older post but when I ordered my Embody at the Herman-Miller dealer, they were having a launch party of the Mirra 2 the same day so I was able to sit back and forth between them.

Speaking as someone who never sat in either, I did prefer the 2. I actually liked it so much when our office manager told me they were needing to buy 6 chairs for the guys up front I put him in touch with my salesperson at the Herman-Miller dealer.

In the end we didn't buy them because of $$$ (only $150 or so less than what I paid for my Embody!) but if I had to chose I'd take the Mirra 2 over the 1.

1 was pretty drat comfortable too though, so if the price is good enough for you I don't think you'd be disappointed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Does this look like a real areon?

Guy says he paid $1K for it a few years back and needs a knob, can probably get it for <$100

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The attached forum images seem to be broken, I think Che Delias was playing :)

Here

The tilt mechanism doesn't look quite right to me for an aeron.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No idea about UK prices, but the Ikea Markus is probably about the cheapest but decent chair you are going to find other than used or fallen off a truck deals.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I couldn't get into the Aeron either and I don't think $650 is a great deal. I bought a brand new Embody a year or so about for something like $875 :canada: out the door (I don't remember exactly, but it was close to that).

Aerons seem to be asking $500, and I am sure the actual deal is for less than that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Watched "Lucy" last night and the end part where she is sitting down Mrs. Slidebite goes "She's got your chair" and sure enough, she is sitting in an all-black Embody for the last 10 minutes of the show.

The movie was pretty disappointing

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

eriddy posted:

This isn't really a chair that lets u sit crosslegged. You should see/sit in one in real life and you'll learn a lot more.

4'10" 300lbs :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone in the Calgary area interested in VG to excellent condition Mirras for $300? I might have a line on some.