Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Arglebargle III posted:

I will throw away my vote on the Capellan Confederation because human wave attacks against 100-ton nuclear robots are awesome.

Except that the CCAF doesn't do human wave attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Axe-man posted:

Worst of all it makes no sense to make in anyway

it's a 100+ ton mech who carries less weapons then normal 100+ ton mechs and goes a zippy 28 km/h, I believe that makes it a 1/2/1 unless it has more armor than god I see no reason for it to ever exist. Everything, it does can be done better by something else

28 km/h would probably make it a 2/3/2 but the weapons loadout is comically light for a mech of that weight, it is easily outclassed by old (3025 era) Inner Sphere HEAVIES much less something like the Atlas. Also hoping that you get to pilot a hatchet-mech for a great pilot/username combo.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Dominus Caedis posted:

Also hoping that you get to pilot a hatchet-mech for a great pilot/username combo.

For the timeline of this LP there really aren't many (any?) options for dedicated melee 'mechs other than the Hatchetman which is a pretty bad 'mech. It's decently-gunned for its weight but slow and lightly armored, and expected to get up close to other, heavier 'mechs to use its namesake/gimmick.

At least it has a proper ejection system, though (the whole head pops off, a design choice later recreated with the Wolfhound which is an example of a very very good light 'mech design)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Dominus Caedis posted:

28 km/h would probably make it a 2/3/2 but the weapons loadout is comically light for a mech of that weight, it is easily outclassed by old (3025 era) Inner Sphere HEAVIES much less something like the Atlas. Also hoping that you get to pilot a hatchet-mech for a great pilot/username combo.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Axman would be a better match :v:

Oh i know thats why i haven't mentioned it until now :)
VVVVVVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 21, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Axe-man posted:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Axman would be a better match :v:

Pity it doesn't exist until 3050.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Agent Interrobang posted:

Pity it doesn't exist until 3050.

Alternate history, maaaan! We're through the looking glass! It could exist at any time!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Polaron posted:

Alternate history, maaaan! We're through the looking glass! It could exist at any time!

Well in that case I want a Thug with an XL engine and ER PPCs, a St. Ives Compact that isn't doomed, and a pony. :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Polaron posted:

Only if I get a Gallowglas. :colbert:

Oh and a pony for Agent Interrobang. :c00lbert:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Well in that case I want a Thug with an XL engine, a St. Ives Compact that isn't doomed, and a pony. :colbert:

Fine. Everything but the pony :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All I really know about BattleTech comes from the old MechWarriors 2: Mercenaries game, but in light of that background, I have to ask: would it ever be possible to actually grab a Kodiak as the IS? If we have to duplicate its acquisition mission from that game and screw over the Combine while joyriding in the newly acquired death machine, I'd call it a bonus.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Well in that case I want a Thug with an XL engine and ER PPCs, a St. Ives Compact that isn't doomed, and a pony. :colbert:

This is the dark gritty future instead you get this

Cythereal posted:

All I really know about BattleTech comes from the old MechWarriors 2: Mercenaries game, but in light of that background, I have to ask: would it ever be possible to actually grab a Kodiak as the IS? If we have to duplicate its acquisition mission from that game and screw over the Combine while joyriding in the newly acquired death machine, I'd call it a bonus.

I think the only way you are going to get that, is if you fly to the clan homeworld and attack the ghost bears. Sorry buddy :(

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 21, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pladdicus posted:

Fine. Everything but the pony :colbert:

In the grim darkness of the 31st century, there is a distinct lack of ponies or pony-like material.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Cythereal posted:

I imagine, not to put words in PTN's mouth, but especially if we pick a merc company all manner of missions are going to eventually be possible, if extremely ill-advised. :whatup:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

In the grim darkness of the 31st century, there is a distinct lack of ponies or pony-like material.

Well fine then, I'm naming all my mechs after My Little Ponies. The Clans shall come to fear the wrath of Pinkie Pie! :black101:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Well fine then, I'm naming all my mechs after My Little Ponies. The Clans shall come to fear the wrath of Pinkie Pie! :black101:

This is still less goofy and stupid than some ACTUAL mech names.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

This is the dark gritty future instead you get this

Every mech with 'IIC' in the designation was a horrible idea. :emo:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Axe-man posted:

I think the only way you are going to get that, is if you fly to the clan homeward and attack the ghost bears. Sorry buddy :(

I'm sorry, was that supposed to discourage me? :black101:

Caveat: No idea if the Kodiak is any good on the TT or not. It was pretty much the best (or at least biggest) mech available in the MW2:M campaign, and made an appropriate impression on me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

NEIGH VICTUS! :black101:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

This is still less goofy and stupid than some ACTUAL mech names.

I'm having trouble thinking of any examples, unless you're talking about 3060+ stuff which I pretty much erased from memory they must have been so bad.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
^^^^^^
let me help you start This and maybe this; this is just a mech types of course actual in game or book mechs are worse

Cythereal posted:

I'm sorry, was that supposed to discourage me? :black101:

Caveat: No idea if the Kodiak is any good on the TT or not. It was pretty much the best (or at least biggest) mech available in the MW2:M campaign, and made an appropriate impression on me.

I mean that your looking mroe toward late game then early game. :ssj:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 21, 2011

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm more of a Heavy Gear inclined kinda guy but I'll be following this little romp with interest!

Voting Com Guards (Comstar) because parking our fat Telecom asses infront of the main assault seems to be a great idea.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 21, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of any examples, unless you're talking about 3060+ stuff which I pretty much erased from memory they must have been so bad.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Temax_Cat_Ninjabolt

NINJABOLT

:downsrim:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Axe-man posted:

I mean that your looking mroe toward late game then early game. :ssj:

I was kinda joking. I only have vague memories of MW2:M for the most part, (such as raging at Dashers for running around at warp speed) and haven't got a clue what all will be available or how anything performs in the early game - and very few clues about the late game.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Every mech with 'IIC' in the designation was a horrible idea. :emo:

Exception: Marauder IIC and Warhammer IIC. Like the originals, but bigger and better.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

NEIGH VICTUS! :black101:

WHINNY HAVOC, AND LET SLIP THE PONIES OF WAR! :black101:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wow, I'm glad I happened to spot this thread before I went out for the night. I loved Battletech (and the Mechwarrior games) as a kid.

I vote for the Davion Heavy Guards because really, all they do is wreck people's poo poo. Full stop.

Also, does Clan Nova Cat get thoroughly embarrassed by the Combine in this timeline? The Combine suddenly getting a bunch of free Omnitech would be kind of bad for the Davions.

(And yeah, those of you who were giving much love for the Kodiak are good people. It's such a good mech.)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I was kinda joking. I only have vague memories of MW2:M for the most part, (such as raging at Dashers for running around at warp speed) and haven't got a clue what all will be available or how anything performs in the early game - and very few clues about the late game.

Adds fun!

Look at it this way: those of us who know the fluff, thanks to PTN's alterations, are charging into the complete unknown blindly. You're doing the same thing, only with some mechanics too! We are all brothers in ignorance. :glomp:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

early game prediction: We fight a lot of house battles with old mech designs that are pretty much subpar to 3rd string quality

late game prediction: We take the fight to the clans in some way after they have become a true presence in the IS. Usually, in my experience and my tabletopping this several times, this ends with a long dangerous journey into the Clan space to lay a beat down on someone. (this is the canon history)

However this is poptarts show, so i have a feeling things aren't going to go as expected.

no you may not paint my mech pink.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 21, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Also, does Clan Nova Cat get thoroughly embarrassed by the Combine in this timeline? The Combine suddenly getting a bunch of free Omnitech would be kind of bad for the Davions.

The Nova Cats are staying at home this time.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Exception: Marauder IIC and Warhammer IIC. Like the originals, but bigger and better.

As terribly hilarious as this is, I'm really hoping it doesn't catch on. :ohdear:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mukaikubo posted:

Adds fun!

Look at it this way: those of us who know the fluff, thanks to PTN's alterations, are charging into the complete unknown blindly. You're doing the same thing, only with some mechanics too! We are all brothers in ignorance. :glomp:

As soon as my home computer is restored to working order, I am digging out MW2:M and seeing if I can get it to run. That and starting Star Trek Online during my final undergrad semester probably isn't the best idea, but ah well.

Although I never realized until looking at that BT wiki how goddamn ugly the Commando you start off in in MW2:M looks. >_>

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I forsee teamups in our future.

Many hilariously poor, utterly retarded teamups.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

... But unnecessary when you have the Mad Cat and Thor.

I just don't see why the Clans deal with non-Omni designs at all. Yeah, garrison troops, old warriors, whatever. Material used to make a standard mech is materials NOT used making an Omnimech, which ton for ton is pretty categorically better.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

As terribly hilarious as this is, I'm really hoping it doesn't catch on. :ohdear:

Well, honestly speaking(and to clear it up before this becomes an idiotic derail), I'm thinking of it sorta like the way old bomber pilots would give their planes affectionate nicknames. I am certainly not proposing everybody do this, it just struck me as amusing. I DEFINITELY am not suggesting, like, OC mech designs named after ponies. More along the lines of, 'this is a weird and/or funny thing this character does,' sorta like Billy Khan and his pig-roasts from the STO thread.

VVVVVV: yeah, the Hell's Horses kinda beat us all to it anyway.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 21, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

-epic picture-

And all my reservations, gone in a single hotlink.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

is it sad that i saw that and instantly thought that rear facing weapons have almost always been a stupid idea? :supaburn:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

WarLocke posted:

Is that Ravage from the Transformers?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

is it sad that i saw that and instantly thought that rear facing weapons have almost always been a stupid idea? :supaburn:

No, because I did the exact same thing. :colbert:

Also an involuntary "it shits medium lasers" mental joke.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is that Ravage from the Transformers?

No, it's a 'totem mech' for Clan Hell's Horses. Yes, it's dumb. At least the Kodiak kind of worked as a bear totem mech.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

... But unnecessary when you have the Mad Cat and Thor.

I just don't see why the Clans deal with non-Omni designs at all. Yeah, garrison troops, old warriors, whatever. Material used to make a standard mech is materials NOT used making an Omnimech, which ton for ton is pretty categorically better.

Probably out of reverence to their origins more than anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ this thread got huge before I got here. As a megamek vet I would like to sign up to be a mechwarrior since given how many are ahead of me I figure there's a good bet we'll be megamekkin' by the time I get the nod.

And as a staunch Davionist who likes cool poo poo voting Kell Hounds

• Locked thread