Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dolash posted:

They might have a stupid culture and have tampered wildly with genetics, but the Clans are still made up of human beings. If anything, some Clanners might be especially vulnerable since Clan culture promotes an idealized image of war between people bred for the task, following arcane honor rules - the bloody reality of mowing down hapless conscripts and flattening cities is somewhat less appealing.

One of the Clans' biggest weaknesses and points of interest is they're completely unprepared for total war. They have these dreams of rebuilding the Star League or taking revenge on the Sphere, but they're all grounded in a mythical understanding of the past with surprisingly little thought given to how they're going to carry it out. The structure of the invasion itself is absurd, about as inefficient as it is possible for an invasion to be. Absolutely the only two things they have up on the Inner Sphere is a concrete technological advantage and boatloads of psychotic drive, but they were really just lucky the Inner Sphere was as ripe for conquest as it is - if the Star League had reformed in their absence they'd be destroyed on contact and still probably rush into it gladly.

So what I am reading is that the clan is Imperial Japan during WW II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Telsa Cola posted:

What was their Pearl Harbor? Turtle Bay?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Artificer posted:

What was their Midway? Turtle Bay?

corrected you.
Just like WW2 Imperial Japan, the clans weakness is time management .

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

I think it's closer to Nazi Germany. Japan, by and large, did not enjoy technological superiority except in a few very narrow fields.

Also telling diehard clan roleplayers that they are basically fascists is never not funny.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Eh, when Battletech wants to do historical parallels they clearly don't shy away from it, the Clans seem like a deliberate attempt to make something more alien-ish and sci-fi than another "Space Samurai" or "Space Prussia", although there's some obvious Mongol allusions (both the invasion and the khans).

I can accept there's some fairly justified (in their minds) reasons for the Clan invasion not to blow through the Inner Sphere, but then again there was that large Clan task force that went after the Rimworld Republic and got backstabbed during the trial with the FWL. That seems to suggest that they've at least got the tech and resources that they could try bum-rushing across the Sphere if the goal is worth it, maybe it's even a sign of how psychotically the Clans hate the Amaris line that they were willing to drop all pretenses like that.

Does all this mean that if the Great Houses wanted to, they could start using nuke-equipped fighters to destroy Clan invasions in space, before they make the planet, and they don't do that for fear of nuclear retaliation from the Clans? And that the Clans aren't shooting down IS jump-ships when they go on the offensive because they'd much rather let them land their invasion forces and fight them man-to-man for the Honouretm?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clan honor rules are largely designed with limiting the loss of limited resources since the Clan homeworlds generally have piss poor excuses for metal deposits. Nuking the gently caress out of someone who can't return the favor so flagrantly goes against it that we have top brass committing suicide over it. Plus there's no personal glory if you're not down on the grind fighting them mech to mech or man to man.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

Eh, when Battletech wants to do historical parallels they clearly don't shy away from it, the Clans seem like a deliberate attempt to make something more alien-ish and sci-fi than another "Space Samurai" or "Space Prussia", although there's some obvious Mongol allusions (both the invasion and the khans).

If we're going for historical parallels, I would say that the Clans are more akin to the Huns rather than the Mongols, who, for all their cruelties, ruled justly/tolerantly, expanded trade and technological exchange, and in certain cases, promoted the arts. The Huns were all about just sacking, looking, and gaining glory through conquest.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Dolash posted:

Does all this mean that if the Great Houses wanted to, they could start using nuke-equipped fighters to destroy Clan invasions in space, before they make the planet, and they don't do that for fear of nuclear retaliation from the Clans?

Not really. The warheads AeroSpace fighters can carry aren't very impressive to a capital ship. And yeah, you can stuff bigger ones in DropShips, but now you're actually just having a fleet engagement.

Dolash posted:

And that the Clans aren't shooting down IS jump-ships when they go on the offensive because they'd much rather let them land their invasion forces and fight them man-to-man for the Honouretm?

Orbital assets are usually the first things bid away. And yeah, if your entire purpose in life is ground combat, you're not likely to give that up in exchange for someone else swatting some blips on a tac screen in service of some nebulous strategic good, unless you're a remarkably politically driven Clanner.

PBJ posted:

If we're going for historical parallels, I would say that the Clans are more akin to the Huns rather than the Mongols, who, for all their cruelties, ruled justly/tolerantly, expanded trade and technological exchange, and in certain cases, promoted the arts. The Huns were all about just sacking, looking, and gaining glory through conquest.

I think it's a mistake to cram fictional polities into historical pigeonholes, but you probably shouldn't neglect the various Clans' individually divergent attitudes towards most of the above.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Merry Marauder posted:

I think it's a mistake to cram fictional polities into historical pigeonholes, but you probably shouldn't neglect the various Clans' individually divergent attitudes towards most of the above.

I always forget that the Rasalhague Dominion and the like are technically a "thing" in the old BT timeline. Perhaps B would create a similar relationship between Skye and the Steel Vipers?

Aw, who am I kidding, they're gonna find a way to gently caress it up somehow. It's the Battletech way!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Anyway, C, because anything that gets Waterley away from a council whose opinions she can sway and over to Skye where people can goggle at her frail insanity is the way to go.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

Clan homeworlds generally have piss poor excuses for metal deposits.

More than just bad! The metal deposits of the Kerensky Cluster will be almost totally exhausted by 3100. The status quo after the Wars of Reaving may have changed the rate of consumption but it also put an end to the one thing that could stop it: outward expansion.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
So basically the Clans are 100% hosed no matter what they choose to do. That's kind of hilarious.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

More than just bad! The metal deposits of the Kerensky Cluster will be almost totally exhausted by 3100. The status quo after the Wars of Reaving may have changed the rate of consumption but it also put an end to the one thing that could stop it: outward expansion.

How does that even work? Does the technology not exist in BT to mine asteroids? Do the Clan's home systems not have any asteroid belts? (I seem to remember that Kerensky deliberately chose to settle resource poor systems) Do they require some sort of unobtainium for their machinery?
And even if all of that is true: Is there not an entire empty galaxy ready to be colonized beyond their home worlds?
How does BT fluff all that?

oh, and I guess, I'll throw in another vote on the B pile.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Scintilla posted:

So basically the Clans are 100% hosed no matter what they choose to do. That's kind of hilarious.

Unless they manage to keep some sort of IS presence in this timeline, which would be neat. I'm basically unconcerned with the canon universe at this point because this one is just so much better (I have read nothing about it, and played MW2, 2Mercs, and 4 as the extent of my canon knowledge) from what I can tell in this thread. I'd rather see the clans be interesting than go away and be hosed forever.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

How does that even work? Does the technology not exist in BT to mine asteroids? Do the Clan's home systems not have any asteroid belts? (I seem to remember that Kerensky deliberately chose to settle resource poor systems) Do they require some sort of unobtainium for their machinery?
And even if all of that is true: Is there not an entire empty galaxy ready to be colonized beyond their home worlds?

oh, and I guess, I'll throw in another vote on the B pile.

I guess that while moving a bunch of people to another world to set up an outpost is easy, moving enough to colonize a world successfully is much larger. Also asteroid mining is definitely done in the BT universe, at least with comets but there could be plenty of reasons for it to be hard such as a bunch of young stars with some pretty messy and unpleasant radiation profiles and solar winds.

Or plain old author fiat which is fine by me when it comes to gently caress over the clans.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

Well, hey, there's a Clan with lots of Seekers in their Warrior caste, who explore the Periphery and would be great advance scouts...

...but the Goliath Scorpions got Abjured and booted out of the Homeworlds. So, you know.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

The Merry Marauder posted:

Well, hey, there's a Clan with lots of Seekers in their Warrior caste, who explore the Periphery and would be great advance scouts...

...but the Goliath Scorpions got Abjured and booted out of the Homeworlds. So, you know.

So it boils down to the Clans being the Clans.
Why am I not surprised?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The reality is that in a galaxy old enough to generate life-sustaining planets, there will be many second and third generation stars with plenty of metals available. Moreover, you could build every battlemech in the Battletech universe, plus all of their factories, every ship of every fleet, all the ammo, material, etc., from just the metal deposits found in, say, Australia. The given explanation for Clans not having enough metal resources despite them possessing many planets capable of sustaining life are essentially antiscientific, but that's hardly unusual for Battletech. You just accept it as authorial fiat, just like you accept that (as with every other SF setting that has it), somehow FTL travel doesn't violate causality.

e. Just to put this firmly into scale, mentally. From Wikipedia:

quote:

Western Australia's iron ore output for 2011 was 474 million tonnes

Planets are big, yo. Really, really big. And even the biggest spaceships in Battletech are small. Very, very small.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 25, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Went back and checked the reference in TRO 3060: it's not all metals, it's just the ones that are the most important for constructing 31st century military hardware. So I guess whatever it is that makes BT armor so incredibly strong at an inch thick and probably like, stuff they make fusion reactor shielding out of?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Went back and checked the reference in TRO 3060: it's not all metals, it's just the ones that are the most important for constructing 31st century military hardware. So I guess whatever it is that makes BT armor so incredibly strong at an inch thick and probably like, stuff they make fusion reactor shielding out of?

Liquid lithium and/or magnetic fields? Realchat for a moment, if we wanted to move the earth to a fusion powered economy and use magnetic confinement we can't use stainless steel for the magnets because there isn't enough nickle or cobalt on earth to make enough of them. They would need to be made of aluminium or something like that which is more prevalent. There was one tokamak style design I saw where each magnet was something like 30 feet tall and over 100 tons. So yeah, if we assume that they make mech armor out of something like titanium/tungsten/osmium alloys they can definitely run short.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
This is what happens when you base your society on the deranged vision of a literal brain-sick fool, and then have a bunch of fight happy warmongers who don't understand anything other than HONOOOOOOOOOOOOOR run it.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
About that Against the Bot LP... I kind of started working on it, and...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708423&pagenumber=21#post445759337

Leave feedback there in the Sandcastle so I do not gum up this thread with stuff that PTN himself is not doing!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

sheep-dodger posted:

Do they require some sort of unobtainium for their machinery?

Jump Drives require germanium, but that's the only 'rare' element I'm aware of.

sheep-dodger posted:

There're areas of the galaxy that are unreachable due to the relatively short jump distances. The Pentagon Worlds and the Kerensky Cluster are unusual in having so many habitable worlds. I'm pretty convinced the Star League went to a great deal of time and effort to render possibly habitable worlds "unattractive" in some way to curtail colonization efforts when humanity started spreading too far for them to control, but that's more of a plot thread in the LP than something that's actually true in the real universe. More likely without the vast resources of the Star League to terraform marginally-habitable worlds there simply isn't any way for humans to live healthy lives on most planets. There are a few clusters of humanity that are well away from the Inner Sphere or the Clans, but they tend to be small groups of worlds surrounded by huge swaths of empty space.

Edit: The implication being: there aren't any worlds nearby they can colonize with the resources they have available to them, and they don't have enough resources to go looking. Which is pretty much the Metaplot's way of saying "Your favorite Clans probably lived, but they're never going to be an issue again. One invasion was enough."

Double Metaplot Edit: "Pay more attention to Alaric Wolf."

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 25, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress planets. Habitats fo' lyfe.

Though they've probably forgotten how to do that already. Or kept nuking them until nobody would build them any more.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

goatface posted:

Though they've probably forgotten how to do that already. Or kept nuking them until nobody would build them any more.

Or are hilariously resource intensive to build and maintain. Or all those factors at once.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

SIGSEGV posted:

Or are hilariously resource intensive to build and maintain. Or all those factors at once.

Also tech intensive. If you have an actively regressive society they're not gonna last long in the face of overwhelming ignorance.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

goatface posted:

The IS does it on a slightly smaller scale, with jump recharge stations that are usually inhabited by a small town's worth of people. The people of the IS seem to have a strong aversion towards being too far from a planet that I feel like stems from Jumpdrive malfunction. Since you can't move a K-F drive through K-F space, if your engine breaks down you're pretty much hosed, so not wanting to be totally isolated from planets and the safety they offer feels like a cultural thing to me, I guess.

Anyway, you'd like Gulf Breeze in the Lyran Commonwealth if habitat stations are your thing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Voting for the Best plan. Steiner rules for everybody. Would Skye really super-care about whether they're paying Space AT&T or Space Verizon anyhow? Let the Steiner Serpents set up shop on Terra.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Voting C for maximum Cersei Lannister.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I'm pretty sure D isn't getting enough love

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
True story - my only banned post on the MWO forums was for comparing Mamluks to clanners given their rigid caste system, the slave-like 'superior' warriors who are taken from birth based on genetic characteristics.

I mean ffs they even were called 'true lords'. But apparently in this case, they thought I just sounded racist >_>

Oh and C, because drama.

garland336 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 27, 2015

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

About that Against the Bot LP... I kind of started working on it, and...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708423&pagenumber=21#post445759337

Leave feedback there in the Sandcastle so I do not gum up this thread with stuff that PTN himself is not doing!

Where'd you get the extra portraits? There's camo in the Ralgith pack but not really much in the way of portraits.

... have you tokenised all the first page art yet?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Nullkigan posted:

Where'd you get the extra portraits? There's camo in the Ralgith pack but not really much in the way of portraits.

... have you tokenised all the first page art yet?

I want to say there was a guy who regularly uploaded custom releases that were pre-packaged with a shitton of portraits, but I cannot remember who it was.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Current tally:

A: 1
B: 41
C: 6
D: 8

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Scintilla posted:

Current tally:

A: 1
B: 41
C: 6
D: 8

Jumping on the Bandwagon!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Voting's coming to a close, and I'm sorry again for the delay.

I just did an interview at work which, if I get the promotion, will completely change my schedule. So I'm waiting to see before I commit myself to an update schedule I may not be able to keep (2 updates a week is still a 'go,' I just don't know if they'll stay Sunday and Wednesday)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

No worries. Good luck on the promotion!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I won't be particularly heartbroken if I don't get it (I like working mornings), but it'll be good if I do.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think y'all are forgetting how amusing the Duncan vs Melissa stuff was.

Mind you, it's way too late since B's got it locked up, but I'm still getting my vote in, dammit. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, good news. I got the position. I don't know what my final schedule's going to look like beyond the 4PM-to-midnight shift, but that still leaves me plenty of time for updates during the day. The only downside is, It'll be more of time crunch as I'll have to do them before work rather than my current plan of getting off work loving around updating for five hours.

Expect a combat theater update tomorrow or Thursday at the latest, but at least for now I'm probably going to keep the scenarios a bit smaller and my update schedule may have to change depending on when my days off are.

• Locked thread