Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

The Sohei getting bogged down right away is a good stroke of luck. That assault star is going nowhere fast. A well placed minefield could keep them bottled up for ages.

Interested to see what the tag on the Beowulf will be used for. PTN usually doesn't deploy those without a chance to use them, and I don't think Gooncompany has any semi-guided to use. That could mean off board artillery or a NRWR flyby with homing Arrow IV's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Picard Day posted:

Interested to see what the tag on the Beowulf will be used for. PTN usually doesn't deploy those without a chance to use them, and I don't think Gooncompany has any semi-guided to use. That could mean off board artillery or a NRWR flyby with homing Arrow IV's.

Missiles can be fired indirectly at a tagged target with no penalty if the tagger attacks something else even if they're not the semi-homing variety.

Sometimes a TAG is just a TAG. It's up to the players to find a way to use it.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

How did the PHX get leg Damage? the only shot that hit it was in CT (looking at the Mech card)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Missiles can be fired indirectly at a tagged target with no penalty if the tagger attacks something else even if they're not the semi-homing variety.

Well, you heard him folks, its for targeting the orbital kinetic kill vehicles.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tythas posted:

How did the PHX get leg Damage? the only shot that hit it was in CT (looking at the Mech card)

It took crippling internal damage last match, that doesn't get fixed in a week.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Sorry gooncompany, I completely forgot to send orders. Will have orders in for Turn 2.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Picard Day posted:

The Sohei getting bogged down right away is a good stroke of luck. That assault star is going nowhere fast. A well placed minefield could keep them bottled up for ages.

Yeah, the player's position is significantly improved by that, and every time the assault star needs to take more turns to engage.

The Phoenix Hawk demonstrates just how scary that assault star is. (I think the player probably thought he could decline LOS. But good lord those numbers were bad.) Even long range harassing exchanges of fire is going to leave the players in a bad place. The only reasonable shot the players have to take it out is to use the buildings to block LOS and the terrain breaks (bridge and moat, essentially) to force the star to appear at point blank range in a piecemeal fashion. Even then, the Heavy Gauss and Dadlas fist had better take out the Varangian, or those AC/20's are going to make for a bad time. And those heavy lasers are just painful anyhow. But you'll be hitting your hardest, and might just win if the dice agree.

Of course, using the buildings and island like that means committing to engaging the other two stars as they cross the terrain. If you're really lucky PTN will commit them piecemeal as their movement profiles allow instead of having the faster star hang back to hit at the same time as the western star. If not, well, you'll probably not all die before the clanners are close enough to do... whatever it is that reactor is there to do.

To that end, it looks like you'll get a turn to concentrate fire on the southern star if you gather on the south side of the light building. Just not too tight- there's an artillery mech on the field with 5 non-homing missiles, so you don't even have to get TAG'd if you present too juicy a target.

TheFlippantHam
Mar 28, 2007

YOSPOS
Ready to take over as necessary.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Have not gotten orders from Polaron, Zen Vulgarity, or Vorenus (C'mon, I know you're around!)

Will probably be calling up Loa Vecre and TheFlippantHam, possibly also thetruegentleman if something's happened to Vorenus.

I noticed this skipped me in the list, then realized I missed your alert PM due to my presently terrible shift schedule, so I am accordingly passing until next scenario. Good luck, guys!

Realbarrow fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 21, 2016

Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014

TheFlippantHam posted:

Ready to take over as necessary.

Likewise. Also, keeping my fingers crossed that the Naga's FASCAM Arrow flies off the map or at least lands somewhere harmless next turn.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That's a distressing number of missed orders. My intention is to sit still again.

e: not to invite backseat driving or anything, but I'm happy to conform to any solid plan someone wants to lead with.

e2: \/\/ noted, I'll buddy up with you.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 21, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Alchenar posted:

That's a distressing number of missed orders. My intention is to sit still again.
Other hunchie here:

You might want to move or turn towards a slightly better position to run out of the water for ambush purposes. If we get ourselves facing a land hex instead of a shallow water hex we can move one hex farther on that first turn.

We have to decide whether we want to pop out and hit the western star or the assault star, and we're better equipped to fight the west star. So I'm thinking about moving slowly to the west to get ready for that.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 21, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tarezax posted:

You might want to move or turn towards a slightly better position to run out of the water for ambush purposes. If we get ourselves facing a land hex instead of a shallow water hex we can move one hex farther on that first turn.

It evens out a bit, since standing in waist-high water gives partial cover.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
grashopper here, thinking of moving to the woods at 2326 or 2346 to set up for the advance of the southern star and to possibly take an X-pulse potshot

Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014
Looks like I'll be taking the reins of the Bobcat. Thinking of moving into 3415 this turn and the slowly proceed to make my way towards 3216 or 3215, so I can pop out and shank someone trying to cross the bridge. I don't think moving out of the water right now (3414 or 3514) is in my best interest, since I'll be within long range of half the assault star with no move mod to speak of.
The only problem I see with staying submerged is having to make 3 PSRs to get to my ambush spot, with piloting 5 and cracked ribs. Any thoughts on this?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

That's a workable strategy. So long as you stay adjacent to land, you can always decide to get out of the water earlier.

Don't forget that if you are only leaving a water hex (and not entering any), you can run.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 21, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Loa Vecre posted:

Likewise. Also, keeping my fingers crossed that the Naga's FASCAM Arrow flies off the map or at least lands somewhere harmless next turn.

FASCAM Arrow already landed, or at least I'm fairly confident it did, wherever it was aimed and/or scattered to. PTN just isn't listing it for obvious reasons. Within the same map sheet, or at least as long as it's not aimed incredibly far away, Arrows hit the same turn they were launched.

edit: I think active probes can find them, so there's that at least.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 21, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll keep an eye out for opportunities to put it to use. Is there not a bonus to missile fire straight up as in MWO and all the Mechwarrior games I remember? The Copperhead and Wild Weasel have lrms so certainly I can make notes in the spreadsheet about it. How about streak srms, the coyote and the copperhead have those. And can I simply fire lasers and tag at the same target and give the bonus/spotting? I seem to remember the tag itself getting a standard secondary target penalty in the case described.

TheFlippantHam
Mar 28, 2007

YOSPOS
Looks like I will be taking over the Copperhead, with the engine damage I am going to be a touch more fragile than it is normally.

looks like I don't have a whole lot for movement options so i am thinking of walking forward one hex to 3421. And looks like nothing will be in LRM range this turn so I have no targets.

TheFlippantHam fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 22, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Koth posted:

FASCAM Arrow already landed, or at least I'm fairly confident it did

It has not.

Anything 17+ hexes away takes 2 turns to arrive.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

The good news is we can at least hope for a favorable scatter!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

PoptartsNinja posted:

It has not.

That's about the range to the reactor island. Here's hoping we don't lose too much wiggle room.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

thiswayliesmadness posted:

That's about the range to the reactor island. Here's hoping we don't lose too much wiggle room.

What happens when a minefield lands on an active fusion reactor? Find out after these messages!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

It has not.

This is going to make this mission even more fun.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

vorebane posted:

I'll keep an eye out for opportunities to put it to use. Is there not a bonus to missile fire straight up as in MWO and all the Mechwarrior games I remember? The Copperhead and Wild Weasel have lrms so certainly I can make notes in the spreadsheet about it. How about streak srms, the coyote and the copperhead have those. And can I simply fire lasers and tag at the same target and give the bonus/spotting? I seem to remember the tag itself getting a standard secondary target penalty in the case described.

Nah, TAG is very very different in the tabletop game vs MWO.

In tabletop, anyone can spot for indirect fire. But, there's big penalties- If the spotter is moving, that's a penalty. If the spotter also shoots their own weapons, that's another penalty. And then there's just a flat +1 because you're firing indirectly. The unit doing the spotting also suffers a penalty to it's OWN shots, if it fires while spotting for you.

So as an example, let's say someone on your team is spotting for LRM fire from the Wild Weasel and Copperhead, and the spotter both ran, and shot their own weapons too. The LRM to hits would be looking at
Gunnery skill + Range from shooter to target + self movement + spotter movement + target movement + 1 indirect fire penalty + 1 "Spotter shot weapons too", as well as any terrain penalties between the spotter and the target (Like woods in the way).
If the spotter sits still, and the firing LRM units sit still, and the Spotter uses TAG (A spotter can provide spotting via TAG (If TAG hits), while suffering no penalties to their other weapon shots), then a lot of the penalties go away:
Gunnery skill + range from shooter + target movement + 1 indirect fire

TAG also allows the use of guided and semi-guided ammo- Homing Arrow IVs require TAG to hit. Semi-guided LRM ammo ignores the target movement modifier, if it's shooting at something TAGed.

TAG does nothing at all for Streaks, typically. The last mission where TAG helped negate the hurricane penalty was a house-rule to fit the scenario.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Gwaihir posted:

Nah, TAG is very very different in the tabletop game vs MWO.

Hm, that makes me feel tag is pretty limited. If I decide to cool down and everyone has no los on me anyway, then I suppose I would feel good about tagging. Thank you for spelling it out for me.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Why did they even put spotting/indirect fire in the game when it's pretty much impossible to use effectively anyway?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wafflecopper posted:

Why did they even put spotting/indirect fire in the game when it's pretty much impossible to use effectively anyway?

To give infantry something useful to do.

Guess who don't suffer movement penalties and can carry squad support TAGs?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's also very useful when you're playing a double blind game, since you can poke a scout/infantry unit out to tag someone, and then rain missiles on them, and at most you're risking a single unit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Like many things in BattleTech: it's one of a very long list of things you can do and build a team around, but it's not a thing you will find useful every game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just another reason that whoever thought infantry needed to be in Battletech should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Zaodai posted:

Just another reason that whoever thought infantry needed to be in Battletech should be dragged out into the street and shot.

You can't have giant stompy robots without someone to stomp on

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Wild Weasel: Moving into 2818 which puts the buildings between me and anything in shooting range of me. The Heavy Star is almost in range and there are a couple really clean firing lines for them to take advantage of, so I am going to drop some smoke in their path this turn. Next turn I should be able to mine the bridge, but right now limiting the clans massive ranged advantage and forcing them to get closer is my main objective.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 23, 2016

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Battletech with just mechs is fine, awesome, stompy, as long as you're doing clan-trial-like deliberately small & balanced engagements.

But as soon as you scale up into complete wars, you need combined arms otherwise it doesn't look like it's serious. Pretty much every franchise wants continual escalation, and there you go, that's why sometimes infantry, and aerospace too.

Rorahusky posted:

It's also very useful when you're playing a double blind game
I dunno if this happens, but you can also mount a TAG on some scout, be sneaky about a bunch of non-missile forces, and have your opponent try to play around the threat you don't have and then hit hem with the one that you do.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Sending in orders now. Been really busy as I'm still on a vacation.
Probably just going to jump closer to home.

Edit: I jumped to 3419, fscing southwest. Going to reinforce the south.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 23, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I'm going to have my orders I shortly as well. I'm in the coyote so I'm just going to turn to face south unless someone can think of something else I should be doing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'm kind of curious, but PTN, what mech builder are you using? Yours looks so much more functional then one I've been messing around with.

E: Also, when are we going to do a mech design contest for the FWL?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Back Hack posted:

I'm kind of curious, but PTN, what mech builder are you using? Yours looks so much more functional then one I've been messing around with.

E: Also, when are we going to do a mech design contest for the FWL?

The screenshots he's posted are all from Solaris Skunk Werks, but the mech status cards for the player and enemy units are all custom (in Excel, I think?)

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
I Am also annoyingly out of town and on a bad iPad to boot. Orders will be sent in momentarily.

Had I known about this trip ahead of time, I might have asked Gwaihir to sub in for this round for me. Ah well. Hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vorenus posted:

Sorry gooncompany, I completely forgot to send orders. Will have orders in for Turn 2.

:sigh:

Edit: Everyone's walking everywhere. I gather a lot of people are fishing for tips from the IRC?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 24, 2016

• Locked thread