Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm good either way, because PTN is awesome.
That said, if we're now flying a little blind, perhaps this version would be worth ending (or pausing at a comfortable stopping point where there aren't any cliff-hangars - there's not anything really stopping us coming back some day), so that we can play through something that has the background info to work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

I agree, it's time to end it. I like consistency and it'd be a shame if too many contradictions arose in the future.

Ending it now, or even after the end of the Clan assault on the NRWR seems a lot like watching the original Star Wars trilogy and deciding to stop watching right as Han's encased in carbonite. Sure, you can do it, but it's right in the middle of things. Everyone's in the middle of their own machinations and there isn't a lot of room for resolution. I would much prefer to keep going, at least for long enough that we can get to a period where things stabilize a bit. It might take a bit of contrivance to have all the plans that have been in the works (new star league, whatever the CC/Dutchy are doing now, NRWR stuff, existing invasion clans) settled within a reasonable time of one another, but personally I'd rather see that and have us close out on that, than end it with so many threads hanging. Heck, it'll take years before the Homeworld clans arrive, so ending it before that seems reasonable. The couple years old calm everyone has to catch their breath after things are (mostly) resolved seems like a good stopping point to me.

Whatever the case, I fully believe PTN capable of writing things in an interesting, satisfactory manner. I just would really hate to stop right when things are really starting to get good!

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

I honestly don't mind Anastasius Focht being both Tor Miraborg and Ian Davion. ComStar skullduggery should be as mind bending as possible. Sucks about losing all those notes though!

For what it's worth both alternate premises sound interesting. I would quite like to see the map on the no star league one.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Wouldn't a timeskip and system skip work perfectly for resetting for a new thread?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's still to early to discuss what I'm actually planning, though. Mostly because very little of it is finalized.

I'm just gonna put this out there: This would be a prime time to make your own non-IP infringing setting with the dumb ripped out. Part of btech's charm and failings are stuck-in-the-eighties riffs, and this represents a chance to make a slightly more modernized(or less awful) take on the idea.

You've established yourself as the writer the setting needs, and whatever you come up with should be a good read no matter what.

This just seems like too good of an opportunity to put slightly more work into something you can OWN and develop on your own initiative. (also to cloud host your design and setting notes)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 30, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RA Rx posted:

Wouldn't a timeskip and system skip work perfectly for resetting for a new thread?

PTN presents: Dark Age. :unsmigghh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The dumb goofy stuff is part of what makes Battletech feel like Battletech to me. The pointlessly 80s racist stuff not so much.

Please don't worry about this, I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were and I might also decide that a big shake-up isn't necessary. Right now a thread reboot is in the same 'maybe' category as finishing starting that novel I've always wanted to write.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
1. I would welcome a reboot if just so that I can use contractions once more while posting in the LP thread. :v:
2. I am happy you do not plan to reboot Soon, since it is almost time for my second go-round. :v:

Selfishness aside, I would welcome a reboot. It will be fun, I am sure.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, and just for transparency's sake, the map isn't going to start scrolling until next turn. Once the Desert Hawg's in the center of the map then we're off to the races.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
Please tell me that a unit is mission-killed if it falls of the bottom of the map due to lack of forward progress?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Endomorphic posted:

Please tell me that a unit is mission-killed if it falls of the bottom of the map due to lack of forward progress?

It is indeed. Same goes for the enemy, if you scroll it off the map it's done-for.

Edit: I am now regretting not fitting in a chasm for the players to jump.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is indeed. Same goes for the enemy, if you scroll it off the map it's done-for.

Edit: I am now regretting not fitting in a chasm for the players to jump.

A big black box from MS paint can fix that plenty quick. It doesn't have to look pretty when its going by at a hundred miles an hour. :v:

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Marsden II

I'm thinking of moving up to 1108, that should be walk mp with a drift, and adding my AC 5 to the hate pile on the rotunda.
Should put my to hit's at 5+ if my math is good.

Alternately, I could move to 1006 drift into 0906 and turn to face 0805 giveing me 5+ with my cannon and 7+ with my SRMs on the vedette, but missing everything but the turret.

Regardless, I'll put my orders in tonight after work.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hey guys I did a thing

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Orders in, moving forward 4(1006), and taking kill shots at the rotunda.
If I'm reading the quick start rules right, that puts the Vedette in my front arc so I've a conditional order to put two units of SRM into the hill it's cowering behind, if the rotunda is destroyed.

Now to put on the speed racer sound track and play some UT2k4, you know the map.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Grave Digger: Tactical Update 2

The Rotunda armored car detonated as old man Vohrs put a shell and a flight of SRMs through its lightly-armored prow. The machinegun ammunition contained within started cook off like firecrackers at a new-years celebration. The oil-based paints protecting the machine from sand and rust caught fire at once, and began scorching the sands black.

Phelix Salis watched from the relative comfort of his command chair, the expensive electronic monitors he’d installed meant he didn’t have to set a foot outside his Goblin to get a look at the surrounding terrain. A sealed tank of toxic chemicals bubbled and roiled beneath him. His crewmen were faceless behind the breath masks of their hazard suits, but each knew their job and did it without fear of the horrifying concoction at their backs. They would all die relatively instantaneously if the tank ruptured, but seated above it at the turret controls Phelix himself would have an opportunity to flee.

His fingers curled through the hair of Mister Whiskers, a native creature a bit like a large, saber-toothed rat. He’d long-since inoculated himself against its half-centimeter toxic spines, but much like the venomous snakes of ancient Terra, Mister Whiskers was a creature the settlers on Enkra had grown to revile. It cooed pleasantly as he scratched it behind its second pair of bulbous, conical ears, but Phelix’s attention was on the Vedette nearly hidden behind a low dune. He spun the trackball that swiveled the Diamondback’s turret and settled the crosshairs over the machine the Dunerunners had just declared war on and fired.

The noisome stench of ozone wafted from his guns, followed by a familiar hiss as the tank’s pumping system drained the charging tanks of their contents, pressurized them, and fired twin jets of the depleted but still horrifically toxic chemical mix out the rear tailpipes. Phelix’s face soured—he’d scored a clean hit! At least, he would have if the damned sand dune hadn’t been in the way.

Well. There was always next time.

Movement Phase
Bulldog Medium Tank (Player)
- Unable to enter hex 0709 (unable to drift over terrain): movement ends in hex 0808!

Dig Lord “Sancho Panzer” (Player)
- Unable to reverse into hex 1605 (BattleMechs may change levels while using reverse movement): movement ends early in hex 1505!

Shooting Phase
Marsden II (Player)
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Rotunda (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Front (1/6 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires SRM-6 (Deadfire) at Rotunda (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, 4 missiles hit Front (0/6 armor, 0/2 structure remaining (Vehicle destroyed!)), Front, Front, Front!

Goblin Medium Tank "Diamondback" (Player)
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Front (damage blocked by terrain)!
- Fires Heavy Chemical Laser at Vedette (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!

Bulldog Medium Tank (Player)
- Holds fire!

Thor Artillery Vehicle "Exhumer" (Player)
- Holds fire!

Dig Lord “Sancho Panzer” (Player)
- Primary target already destroyed!

Vedette
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Dig Lord (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Leg (19/24 armor remaining)!

Player Status:

Ally Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Drifting: Vehicles may shift one column to the left or right during the movement phase without expending an MP to turn, provided the move does not cross through an enemy unit or terrain that would cost additional MP. Adjacent vehicles may be rammed for low damage with a sideswipe and lighter vehicles may be knocked off course next turn!
Half-Height Terrain: All terrain features rise to only half their normal height. Vehicles behind a height 1 hill may still attack and be attacked, but may only receive damage to their turrets. Vehicles without turrets are hidden as normal. Hills only cost 1 MP to climb rather than the additional 2. BattleMech and IndustrialMech units treat height 1 hexes as if they are clear terrain, height 2 as if they are height 1, etc.
Oases: Oases are surrounded by boggy soil that will trap ground vehicles and may attract native fauna.
Mirages: Heat shimmer can make water appear where there is none. Mirages may be driven through safely but may hide other features.
Redline the Engines: The Desert Hawg’s speed cannot be reduced by damage or critical hits.

Primary Objectives
- Protect the Desert Hawg (0/1)
- Disable or destroy the Devil’s Due (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy the ???? (0/1)
- Destroy the ???? (0/1)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Do the half-height hills only cost 1 MP to traverse? Or do vehicles normally expend 3 MP to change levels and the rule reduces it to 2?

Also I appreciate that my tank's commander is :toxx: incarnate. :getin:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 2, 2016

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Do the half-height hills only cost 1 MP to traverse? Or do vehicles normally expend 3 MP to change levels and the rule reduces it to 2?

Also I appreciate that my tank's commander is :toxx: incarnate. :getin:

A vehicle normally expends 2 extra MP (for 3 total) to go up 1 level. Due to the half height terrain, that is reduced to 1 extra MP.

And of course that means you can't go up or down a hill and drift in the same movement.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Well, I know what I'm doing: moving up to 1807 and blasting the Galeon with two HE, since I expect everyone else will probably try and shoot it too. Hopefully the Vedette will be more vulnerable on turn 3.

Why did the Hawg move twice, though? It's going to vanish pretty quickly if it move 10 spaces every turn.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

thetruegentleman posted:

Why did the Hawg move twice, though? It's going to vanish pretty quickly if it move 10 spaces every turn.
It moved once this turn, and once next turn. It is an NPC, so it should only move during the enemy movement phase from here on out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

It moved once this turn, and once next turn. It is an NPC, so it should only move during the enemy movement phase from here on out.

This is exactly correct. I just forgot to show its movement on Turn 1, so I folded it in to the player half of the turn.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Trying to hit that Vedette while it's lurking behind the dunes is going to be a pain. Should I try going after it again? I have the alpha to potentially one-shot the Galleon.

E: or at the very least cripple it.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
That Rotunda was never long for this world. Innouculation against venom or whatever toxins are in Mister Whiskers is a good trick. Man I would not want to be anywhere near chemical lasers, they sound worse then sitting on top of a running fusion reaction.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I've got some bad news for you, then. A fair amount of real-world military laser designs involve highly dangerous chemicals like deuterium fluoride!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fluoride_laser

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Oh good that means if Trump wins and invades Canada, the laser tanks will be easily sabotagable. And there's a scientist spy who thinks these lasers can kick off fusion! The future is now man.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

vorebane posted:

Oh good that means if Trump wins and invades Canada, the laser tanks will be easily sabotagable. And there's a scientist spy who thinks these lasers can kick off fusion! The future is now man.

IR band lasers are pretty good for ICF fusion, you can get the sort of recycle rate and the energy levels out of them that you need to drive the reaction. The problem is when you start to consider laser/plasma coupling and their efficacy starts to drop really fast. If it weren't for that issue they'd be great.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Bloody Pom posted:

Trying to hit that Vedette while it's lurking behind the dunes is going to be a pain. Should I try going after it again? I have the alpha to potentially one-shot the Galleon.

E: or at the very least cripple it.

The Vedette seems kinda like schmuck bait right now: it's probably better to focus down on the Galleon, since the actual odds on hitting it aren't the best, which means we should probably make it up with volume of fire.

Hopefully the Vedette will get flanked soon, either because the Flaming Thor will catch up to it and ruin its day if it stays in the dunes, or because it will eventually run out of sand to hide behind.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I can't wait for the Dig Lord's secret advantage/disadvantage to be discovered. :allears:

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Is the pilot's insanity both the advantage and disadvantage?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PoptartsNinja posted:

I can't wait for the Dig Lord's secret advantage/disadvantage to be discovered. :allears:

Are there any windmills on the way to the site?

Is the mech at the sit enamed "Dulcinea"?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Marsden II

well, it looks like I'm stuck moving 5 forward for the foreseeable future.
I get 4 drifts before I fall off the back of the map.
if I read the fire arc rules correctly, the Vedette is in my front fire arc from 1006 so I'll send a brace of dead fire's it's direction and a secondary target AC shot at the galleon.

terrenblade fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 3, 2016

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

Are there any windmills on the way to the site?

Yes, he gets a big bonus to hit against windmills. On the down side, the windmills actually shoot back.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll take this to mean that the Dig Lord can burrow and appear anywhere else on the map.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Can he dream the impossible dream and automatically hit 13-th?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Narsham posted:

Yes, he gets a big bonus to hit against windmills. On the down side, the windmills actually shoot back.

Like that Dutch Gundam that's a giant windmill?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Dig Lord (and all `Mech units) treat all elevations on the map as [elevation divided by 2] and then rounds the result down to the nearest integer.

So 2 becomes 1, and 1 becomes 0.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Dig Lord (and all `Mech units) treat all elevations on the map as [elevation divided by 2] and then rounds the result down to the nearest integer.

So 2 becomes 1, and 1 becomes 0.

It's too early on a Monday for me to try math humor. Disregard. :saddowns:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This benefit does not apply only to the movement phase.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Zaodai posted:

It's too early on a Monday for me to try math humor. Disregard. :saddowns:

On the other hand if terrain height for mechs had been 2/(height for vees) we'd have faced some very interesting tactical situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

This benefit does not apply only to the movement phase.

So, what you're saying is the Vedette isn't considered in partial cover here if the Dig Lord's the one attacking it? You mentioned it was both an advantage and a disadvantage, though, so I assume it works both ways and mechs can't get partial cover from height one?

• Locked thread