Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tarquinn posted:

Or: Now you know why the Charger is called Charger.

Edit: In retrospect, that terrible 'awesome' smiley would be better suited to the Awesome.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

landcollector posted:

Like others have said, Caesar got worked. I'm starting to think that the Clanners being bad at mech melee combat is a lie, since both of them that we engaged in melee won quite thoroughly. What was the Atlas made of, tin foil? A couple strikes and its arm falls off (which Dusk uses to club him)? :ughh:

The Executioner 'mech Dusk was driving has an advanced myomer system that lets her essentially overcharge the mech's musculature for short periods of time. It makes the 'mech incredibly fast and strong while its active, but prolonged use will overheat and damage the artificial muscle fibers. That high-pitched buzzing noise was probably her activating the system and doubling or tripling the voltage going through those fibers. (High-tension wire makes a similar high-pitched buzz which I bet is where PTN got the idea.)

That's why she tore Caesar's Atlas apart in thirty seconds flat -- she had a short burst of speed and strength and needed to make a completely berserk attack before her mech's muscles starting overheating and breaking down. Caesar had no way of knowing that he was facing a mech with a MASC system because he didn't know such technology existed. Challenging an experienced Executioner pilot to a fistfight seemed like a good idea, but it was actually a serious tactical error. Dusk's nonchalance about the fight may have related to her information advantage. She knew she could tear him apart, and was amused that he chose this particular style of combat against this particular mech.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

We have to make sure that the Inner Sphere learns as much about the Clans as is possible. And what better way to do that then to have the best equipped forces in the Inner Sphere try to penetrate deep behind enemy lines and rescue some important person who was there the whole time.

So my vote goes to A.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The Executioner 'mech Dusk was driving has an advanced myomer system that lets her essentially overcharge the mech's musculature for short periods of time. It makes the 'mech incredibly fast and strong while its active, but prolonged use will overheat and damage the artificial muscle fibers. That high-pitched buzzing noise was probably her activating the system and doubling or tripling the voltage going through those fibers. (High-tension wire makes a similar high-pitched buzz which I bet is where PTN got the idea.)

That's why she tore Caesar's Atlas apart in thirty seconds flat -- she had a short burst of speed and strength and needed to make a completely berserk attack before her mech's muscles starting overheating and breaking down. Caesar had no way of knowing that he was facing a mech with a MASC system because he didn't know such technology existed. Challenging an experienced Executioner pilot to a fistfight seemed like a good idea, but it was actually a serious tactical error. Dusk's nonchalance about the fight may have related to her information advantage. She knew she could tear him apart, and was amused that he chose this particular style of combat against this particular mech.

I reacquainted myself with the mech's wiki page and I am aware of its MASC system. By the way PTN, Dusk is a Gunnery 1, Piloting 2 according to your tactical updates from the Vipers of Somerset scenario (one of your more recent posts has her as a 2/2).

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

landcollector posted:

I reacquainted myself with the mech's wiki page and I am aware of its MASC system. By the way PTN, Dusk is a Gunnery 1, Piloting 2 according to your tactical updates from the Vipers of Somerset scenario (one of your more recent posts has her as a 2/2).

I assume the 2/2 is what Dusk was with the +1 penalty for a clanner in melee combat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

I'm lazy and didn't double-check her stats. Problem solved.

Voting will remain open for a while longer, it's closer than I expected.

VVVV Nah, not at all. I just feel the need to point out when I'm being a twit and not checking my 'fluff bible'

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 20, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm lazy and didn't double-check her stats. Problem solved.

Voting will remain open for a while longer, it's closer than I expected.

If I sounded like I was :spergin: about Dusk's skill ranks, that was not my intent.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
This is tough. I love me some bagpipes, but I want to see those clanners get their comeuppance! A then!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
If only the expedition could put Focht were he needed to be :smith:

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
A. The Knights of Cydonia ComGuard must ride to glorious battle!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Voting A because playing as ComStar will give us a chance to see more lostech stuff in use (and on our side) without completely de-fanging the Clans by letting us be them. I think option C is a kickass idea, but it's just a bit early to hand the players Clan tech IMO.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

A-34
B-3
C-25
D-24

Now I am sorely tempted to switch to D. ComGuard has been an option every time, and I bet they continue to be an option for quite a while...

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

KnoxZone posted:

A-34
B-3
C-25
D-24

Now I am sorely tempted to switch to D. ComGuard has been an option every time, and I bet they continue to be an option for quite a while...

But how often will it be a daring raid behind enemy lines, risking disaster on a single bold stroke to try to reverse the tides of war? :shobon:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

But how often will it be a daring raid behind enemy lines, risking disaster on a single bold stroke to try to reverse the tides of war? :shobon:

I am not sure if Myndo Waterly is worth it.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

I am not sure if Myndo Waterly is worth it.

Was Adam Steiner?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I voted C because I wanted to be sure we got to do Bobbin's scenario. But now that I know it's going to be available later as well, I Switch my vote from C to A.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Come on guys, support D. It's clearly the most interesting option (especially now that C is going to be available for a while) given how little we know about it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
A is the obvious answer, see real comstar mechs verus clanner scrap

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mukaikubo posted:

Was Adam Steiner?

Of course. Now Ceasar will have heaps of information to use as ammunition.

Thanks Adam Steiner!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The time has come, the Telecom giant must rise to the call, deliver excellent service at great prices and... a gently caress it :downsrim:

A) ComGuards

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I did not understand that option C would have us controlling the Clans. I don't want to see that yet.

Ergo, I could like to change my vote from C to D, if only to figure out what the hell's going on there.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: In retrospect, that terrible 'awesome' smiley would be better suited to the Awesome.

So true. :laugh:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Voting for A.

Also looking forward to seeing what Bobbin helped cook up, but it'll be there after this, and it's looking like ComStar is going to win anyway.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
My vote is D.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Yeah I thought we where to play the mercenaries against the clans..... I'll change my vote to D instead.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If we play Kurita against the Clans, we need to challenge them to single combat the honorable way. With Shuriken! :ninja:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

As long as we get to play it later, I will switch my vote from C to A, and pray that, even though this is a rescue mission, there will be no opportunity for anyone to yell "Get to da DropShip! :black101:" Because Jesus Christ I will murder someone.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Remora posted:

As long as we get to play it later, I will switch my vote from C to A, and pray that, even though this is a rescue mission, there will be no opportunity for anyone to yell "Get to da DropShip! :black101:" Because Jesus Christ I will murder someone.

What about more telephone company-related humor? Is that permissible?

"Can you hear the Word of Blake now?!" *BOOM* "... Good!"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Okay! I am switching my vote to D now that C is loosing traction (I will vote it later).

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I, too, picked C to be sure it was taken at some point, but I actually had one more reason for it.

I know everyone is saying "we must see how powerful the Clans are before we get to play as them!", but I had a higher thought: we need to keep the Clan invasion rolling, and putting player luck in the Clan's camp helps that.

If the Clan invasion stalls out too quickly, the Inner Sphere is going to develop along some pretty weird lines.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

ZeeToo posted:

I, too, picked C to be sure it was taken at some point, but I actually had one more reason for it.

I know everyone is saying "we must see how powerful the Clans are before we get to play as them!", but I had a higher thought: we need to keep the Clan invasion rolling, and putting player luck in the Clan's camp helps that.

If the Clan invasion stalls out too quickly, the Inner Sphere is going to develop along some pretty weird lines.

I really do not think we need to worry about the Clans stalling out quite yet. :v:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ZeeToo posted:

The Clans have Caesar Steiner and Hunter and Clover. If we let them stockpile up too much Awesome they'll be too powerful to be interesting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ZeeToo posted:

If the Clan invasion stalls out too quickly

There's no danger of that.

If anything, I may need to do some map tweaking because I realized I may have made the invasion corridores too narrow.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The Clans have Caesar Steiner and Hunter and Clover. If we let them stockpile up too much Awesome they'll be too powerful to be interesting.

No, that is just the Steel Vipers. The rest of the Clans have... Myndo Waterly. We need to relieve the Horses of that burden so that they can apply themselves to obtaining more interesting Inner Sphere figures as captives. Otherwise the first map in the history Knox posted will become reality. :colbert:

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

Mukaikubo posted:

No, that is just the Steel Vipers. The rest of the Clans have... Myndo Waterly. We need to relieve the Horses of that burden so that they can apply themselves to obtaining more interesting Inner Sphere figures as captives. Otherwise the first map in the history Knox posted will become reality. :colbert:

Whatever happened with the Trial of Possession for her?

Will we show up to find the Scorpions and Horses tussling over her?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, but they're the Steel Vipers. The other Clans hate them. I figure there ought to be someone with the balls to mount a Trial of Possession for the Unwearied Second.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Aesirstorm posted:

Whatever happened with the Trial of Possession for her?

Will we show up to find the Scorpions and Horses tussling over her?

You'll just have to wait and see.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Also, I think I will just leave this here too, also from the first post.

quote:

Clan Steel Viper is, quite frankly, a problem for Clan Widowmaker. Although they strongly espouse the Crusader doctrine, the Steel Vipers’ self-serving politics and ‘vision’ for the invasion is hardly ideal. They intend, on taking Terra, to work with the Great Houses of the Inner Sphere to restore the Star League to its former glory.

I am stroking my chin thoughtfully and eying Caesar the bondsman with a grin as I read these words.

I am just saying, is all.

:v:

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Voting D: Operation Himinbjörg, because I always vote for the option containing an umlaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mukaikubo posted:

Also, I think I will just leave this here too, also from the first post.

I am stroking my chin thoughtfully and eying Caesar the bondsman with a grin as I read these words.

I am just saying, is all.

:v:

I love how the Steel Vipers plan to work with groups that are mutually hostile to both themselves and each other. That they know little about them and understand even less is just icing on the incredibly retarded cake.

I don't know what an incredibly retarded cake with icing looks like, but I imagine that it's quite silly.

• Locked thread