Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Esteemed goon hivemind, there is one fundamental that we're missing here: the Caballeros are appalling shots. Do you really want to miss with everything, or do you want to see what your weapons actually do to the opposition? Mechwarrior should be a game of huge guns blowing gigantic holes in enemy giant robots, not huge guns blowing up random trees or patches of particularly unlucky sky, whilst the opposition, who actually can shoot, have all the fun.

Let's be the ones who have all the fun.

Death Commandos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

hcenvirons posted:

I learned today why no one ever takes out Defiance Industries: whenever you attack their factories MW4:Mercs freezes up. It's the perfect defense!

I noticed that as well, right when the helicopter is supposed to show up, after you kill the Fafnirs and turrets. Was there ever a solution for that?

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 9, 2011

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hmmm, that means you want my plan to fail, ergo your encouragement means it's a bad idea. However, you did declare you are on the capellan side, which would lead me to be suspicious of your endorsement, which would lead to me not doing it, just as you planned. Unless, you are actually a Ridiculous space mexican supporter, but my plan was bad, so you faked an allegiance to the capellans to get me to not do it? Or perhaps do it?

HOW DEEP DOES THIS RABBIT HOLE GO?

Chew on this: I'm ambivalent towards this choice of action.. Muhuhahaha.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Arquinsiel posted:

And to keep things going between PTN's posts, what is your favourite Bug Hunter mech and why?

A 100-ton assault laden with full armor and vast quantities of weaponry that can kill or cripple in one hit.

Why? that's my favourite anything-hunter 'Mech.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Gay Abortions posted:

In honor of the page number, what's everyone's favorite 100-tonner? I'm partial to the Berserker just because of the silliness its hatchet causes.

How can I choose just one? :ohdear:

As various Megamek players will confirm, I tend to go with the Daishi D variant for clans and the Atlas Samsonov variant for the IS.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Arquinsiel posted:

Ylook at the Free Worlds League post-Jihad.

Oh that's right, it no longer exists.

If you take it still further, the reformation in 3139 means that, having gone from zero back to full existence, the FWL has infinite potential.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Polaron posted:

One thing that has always disappointed me is that no Mechwarrior game ever depicted that battle that I'm aware of.

Which is too bad. Something on that scale would have made a fantastic campaign.

Mechwarroior 2: Mercenaries did cutscene it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Justice foot (and the mech its attached to) get my MVP vote for consistency, style, comedy and good vengeance.

Capellan MVP goes to the one shooting the hostages. La Dama Muerta dead, all but five women or children murdered, not breaking even as the last shell of a mech desperately staggered to its demise. Their dedication to the Capellan cause even to the point of capture and Caballero vengeance is an example and a proverb.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
With the Justice foot given due honour, I'm sticking with the mech attached to it as MVP.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Option B. Get the interference out of subtler plans, whilst keeping the strategic insight as and when you need it. Don't burn bridges that you may need to retreat across, in the event that the road ahead is a one-way ticket to crazy interferenceville.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I vote 1st Lyran, because given the propensity of the Steiners towards heavier 'mechs, their top line unit may well have a few 100-ton assaults. Also,

SC The Black Knight always triumphs!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

WarLocke posted:

Holy crap, I've been busy and haven't checked this thread. Need to go back and read the sitrep so I can get all stomped on by dudes. :black101:

Fixed that for you.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

hankor posted:

I have no idea about Battletech (and I still know what REDACTED are) and I'm kind of confused about the myriad of trials the clans apparently do.

It seems to me that a trial is a bet that you can do x to y and you wager z, who wagers the most get's to try to do x.

But who get's z if y is not the person/group you challenge to a trial?
And what are the different trials (possession, rite of passage, beer-run etc.) ?

There are six, essentially.

Trial of possession: "Gimme that."

Trial of refusal: "No."

Trial of position: "I should have your job!"

Trial of grievance: "That's not fair!"

Trial of bloodright: "I claim my heritage!"

Trial of Annihilation: "I'll kill you!"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
It's hard to truly encompass the sheer level of stupid in this book. Nonetheless, I had to try.

Here is how the first contact between mankind and another sentient species was portrayed in Far Country, in a dramatic audio reading.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

We have a winner! LeschNyhan, the prize is yours--make your bid wisely!

Out of interest, did I fail at the Far Country challenge with this?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I've just had a thought.

The Clanners don't know who Caesar Steiner is, and all they know is that the name is the only unit not bid to respond to the Batchall.

The Wolfhound responding to the clanner by going 'Dishonourable scum! I am a member of the Caesar Steiner subclade! You have violated the laws of war most heinously, and must forfeit!' could be amusing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've never seen Deadliest Warrior (why pay money for cable TV I'll never have time to watch?), but that sounds hilarious.

First person who records and posts themselves doing their best impression of the Deadliest Warrior narrator while reading one of Sarna's "Alternate Configuration" bits gets to name Unknown Heavy 2.

We don't get the Deadliest Warrior in the UK, that I know of, so this took a bit of Youtube research.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
PM sent.

Some things are designed to be worse than other things: If everything was flawless and optimised, there'd be no space for custom designs.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Err, don't you mean 3082?

Misjump accident. Clan Dropship winds up in the middle of the succession wars.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

W.T. Fits posted:

So in other words, CASE helps out most of the time, but there's just some situations where if your ammo gets hit, you're hosed, CASE or no CASE. Got it.

Basically, you have to look at the exact circumstances on a CASE by CASE basis.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wow, easy turn. I keep looking back and expecting more to do, but nope.

You seem surprised. We're down to two player run targets, with two mechs actively involved in dealing with them and one in retreating, with the others standing around.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"They're still conscious (after a short nap)" doesn't sound as :black101:

You want :black101:? The 2nd Donegal have reached parity with the clans. For every 'Mech they've lost, they've taken a Clan 'Mech out of the battle, at least according to the Clan's own rules. One disarmed, one out of bounds, one dead. Even with their fourth 'Mech crippled but moving, that matches the damage done to the Mugger. 1:1 is a ratio that denies the Clanners their superiority, and they know it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Aesirstorm posted:

Meaning they'll be more conservative when bidding against each other to attack Lyran worlds.

Not necessarily a bad thing: A cautious enemy gives you more time.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A.

Revenge is the clincher. La Dama is dead. The alternatives are making their losses be in vain and returning to Atreus, renouncing the path of the mercenary and holding the present world without a patron, or making a tentative, timid step towards rapprochement.

They want revenge. Let him have it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Waitwaitwait... so you had the dramatic reading and the Let's Read competing against the dramatic reading? :psyduck:

There were two dramatic readings: The one which actually involved reading a bit of Far Country is here.

For ease of reference, the sound file link.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Any of them would be fun and interesting scenarios. Tough choice! Let's go with the operation named for the castle of the watchmen of the Gods.

D.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Notgothic posted:

I always vote for the option containing an umlaut.

Such foolishness means volunteering for süïcïdë mïssïöns!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A unit of squishies, in the capital of the Lyran Commonwealth. If we're up against any decent Lyran-sized machines, you need to get lucky a half-dozen times, they need to get lucky once. Use terrain and swift movement as much as possible: One good roll from anything worthwhile and it's auf wiedershern.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've got an axe to grind with you over that pun. It really makes me want to claw my eyes out or take a flying leap into a combine. Urgh, this is an awful chain. Saw this coming a mile away.

Wrecking Ball.

Making puns with your rapier wit, buzzsawing through humour with your able blade.

Actually, retract 'able blade', you missed a couple.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Ah, what the hell. Put me on the list.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

landcollector posted:

Perhaps that's what the person in the nightclub wants people to think. You want a semi-covert night on the town, you wouldn't bring a mech as a bodyguard.

Fixed.

One of the reasons I voted for this mission was the location: Steiner appreciates the advantages of big 'mechs, and this is their capital. So here's hoping.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

KnoxZone posted:

You must have been sorely disappointed that the players got a recon lance in the last battle. The Second Donegal are failures as Lyrans.

The Unwearied Second predate the Lyran Commonwealth: They get a pass for fielding a buch of underweight designs because it harks back to their roots before decently-sized 'Mechs were available.

Dolash posted:

The joke was that the lance wasn't nearly heavy enough for Lyran tastes, even though it sported some huge 80-ton mechs.

If the weight is less than three digits, it's a scout. :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The fewer floors,the better, for ablative buildings.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
"This belongs to me now" - Sever a limb in melee combat.
"Fight in the shade" - get killed by an Arrow IV.
"Numerical advantage" - As a Comguard Level II, defeat a Clan Star with one surviving 'mech.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I would love to see House Steiner and the Clans cooperate: However, that seems like more than a little bit of a forlorn hope. Let's go to Helm, and put a memory core in the hands of a technological innovator.

A.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Fire the canon. A!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

MJ12 posted:

HAG-40s are less efficient than 2 Clan LRM-20s. Their only real advantage is flak. Yes they look big and scary but in the end they aren't all that. They distribute their hits in 5 point clusters and have a minimum range versus Clan LRMs which don't. They fill up more or less an entire torso with something that'll blow it off if hit, versus LRMs which only have explosive ammo crits and on a Clan mech you have CASE anyways so you just lose the torso.

In defence of the big guns, they do have a number of other advantages over LRMs, particularly in this era. Anti-missile systems and ECM do nothing against them, and one HAG/40 generates 50% less heat than two LRM/20s. You get half as many shots per ton of HAG/40 ammo than LRM/20 ammo, meaning firing both LRM/20s would eat ammo at the same rate. HAGs can be used with targeting computers as well. The CLRM/20 is indeed one of the best weapons, but the advantage isn't quite so clear cut, especially if your opponent is fond of countermeasures.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Trast posted:

I like that the mechs in the 3d image are all carrying boomboxes for that funky fresh beat.

Oddly enough, the boxes do go boom, especially when you get beaten.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Comstar MVP: Captain Njangu White, for facing down a Lola 3 in a Union Dropship and telling it, literally and figuratively, that you can stick your Isorla up your arse.

Clan MVP: Elementals. Fear them and live. Underestimate them and eat vacuum. If you're lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
On the plus side, it's a Clan 100-tonner. I'd love to see if the Dire Wolf (Dire Widow?) has an equivalent.

• Locked thread